Belk Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,777 reviews matching the search See all 2,784 reviews
No opportunity for advancement
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 18, 2018
I worked at Belk several years, in several different positions. Once I reached a mid-level store position I was forced to take another position. Once in that position, the position was eliminated and I was moved down to a regular associate. I was not eligible for any more pay increases because my salary was capped because of the position I have been moved to. Advancement seems almost impossible in the store I worked in. I would not recommend Belk to anyone unless it was a last reaort
Pros
The discount
Cons
The hours and pay
Belk = bleh
Accessories Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 17, 2018
I worked in the accessory department. It was tedious and boring. All I did was organized jewelry and handbags. My boss was really awesome. I actually followed her from the job before.
Pros
nothing
Cons
slow paced, boring, rude customers
fun work please
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 17, 2018
it is nice and hard work
they need to fix staff and work with customer in the same time
the most enjoyable thing is the discount spacial with the Famous brand
Low paying job
Speciality Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2018
If you need a second job I would recommend this although the company is not the best the hours are not horrible. However if your looking for a second income I would recommend doing anything that pays more then $10/hr.
While I loved my job at the time, it could be very stressful and physical
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOAugust 15, 2018
While I loved being a visual merchandiser, it was a very physical job. Very stressful visits from corporate office, all but one of the managers in the 11 years that I worked there were very good. Regional managers were all awesome. But work loads just got heavier as fewer employees are on the floor now.
Stressful Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 15, 2018
They don't want to work with employees schedule. poor management. department manager are pushy to open credit cards make online and in-store sales. its just bad and very stressful. No sales, credits you'll never get promoted even when you can be the best hard worker.
Pros
Work with great co-worker.
Cons
Pushy with sales.
If you need the hours and the money great place.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 13, 2018
My review would be if you want to work those long days and long weeks perfect for you. A typical day insists on happy customers, getting different knowing of cultures and happy satisfaction of knowing customers leaving happy. I learned that there is always a better way out of things when you are strongly feeling it. The management is good, if you don't feel good in part they can place you somewhere where you will feel comfortable. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep the commission in shoes up it stresses me out sometimes. The most enjoyable part of my work days are the customers that I let leave with the biggest smiles and leaving with shoe they will love.
Pros
Great deals on clothes and etc.
Cons
Long hours for me at least.
decent
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vienna, WVAugust 13, 2018
i’ve been at belk for almost 2 years now. it has its good qualities and bad qualities. sometimes this job style isn’t for everyone, it’s competive, fast paced retail
Pros
30min-1hr lunches, benefits even for part time
Cons
inconsistent scheduleing, poor communication in general and with scheduling
Awful Management
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 11, 2018
If i could give management ZERO stars i would. Was lied to about many things when hired, compensation is not very good. Management is rude, hostile, and plays favorites.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
awful management, can't get time off
medium paced environment with options to advance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXAugust 10, 2018
cashiering is typically easy, the technology is old so it can have the potential to be a bit hard to learn. the dress. code is reasonable. management is understanding and easy to talk to.
hate it
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Thomaston, GAAugust 10, 2018
hated job rude co workers awful supervisors very demanding and not family orendtied and changed schedule daily i hated it i would never recomend this place hole to ANYONE
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
The management is lacking, training is insufficient, the store is unclean and messy, no pay growth, low morale. The only pleasant thing about Belk are the products they sell and the sales. As an employee the discount is all you have to look forward to. Better to work for Nordstrom.
Schedule
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 10, 2018
It would be a great place to work if the people wasn't so cold hearted. The scheduling is ridiculous and working long hours with no business is terrible. The manager there is so dumb some employees knows more than them. Belk is the most gossiping company I've ever worked at.3
Pros
Customers
Cons
Schedule, managers and workers.
Amazing job, but store manager was terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaffney, SCAugust 9, 2018
This was definitely the best job I've had in retail so far. I loved that I got to dress how wanted ( while sticking to company dress code), and I got to help customers shop for jewlery, clothing, shoes, etc. Though I loved the job, I just couldn't tolerate the store manager at the time. Due to him people constantly quit since he felt that he should always come before the customers. It even got to the point where he would yell and disrespect employees in front of customers. Belk should really be more careful about who they trust to run their stores, especially when the person has the potential to go on a huge power trip. Otherwise Belk will always have trouble hanging on to their employees.
Pros
Decent pay for the work, hour long breaks except sundays
Cons
management, rude coworkers
Fun, Fast Paced,
SALES SUPPORT TEAM (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 9, 2018
Belk is a excellent place to work it is a place you can grow and learn from. The culture is very diverse and they are willing to give any and everyone a chance if they put forth the effort,
Pros
Benifits
Cons
inconsistant shifts
Coworkers were the only good thing.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALAugust 8, 2018
I worked at Belk for over a year. I never recieved a raise and everyone (I mean everyone) who came in after me received higher pay. We're supposed to have a status check once a month, I've been there over a year and only received two. There are a couple good and Ginuwine managers, the rest are awful and lazy. My coworkers were the only thing that made the job worth it.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Fun place to work except during inventory tiime
Belk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work what I learned management workplace culture the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job. I am not including confidential company information or personally
used to be great but I would use caution if you are thinking about working here.
Lead Image Specialist - Ecommerce (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2018
Used to be a great place to work but I would not recommend them now. New management is horrible! No one is happy and the morale is extremely low. The people running the advertising department talk a good game but they have no idea what they are doing. Just look at the current catalogs. A high school kid could do a better design.
stressful job, poor management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FLAugust 7, 2018
I worked for the company as a first job in high school, but over the 4 years and 2 stores had no advancement and minimal pay raise, with them basically working me to death at the end of it (asking for part-time due to schools , but scheduled 40+ hours anyway) . Co-workers were great and the company held constant sales prizes and benefits for employees throughout the year (gift cards/awards/etc.), but the management was always terrible and a constant turnaround and turnover.
Pros
store discount/coworkers
Cons
management/overworked with hours
Fun place to work except for hours
Fine Jewelry Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 7, 2018
A typical day is to come in and open department by opening safes and putting jewelry in cases. Open registers, do shipments, make sure cases are clean and tidy. Most important is taking care of customers and sometimes addressing their problems. Had to address many problems for customers and it is my responsibility to make them happy. Believe in telling a customer the truth about a piece of jewelry. I like making a customer feel like a family member. I have been top seller many times for this company.
Pros
Meeting many people
Cons
Working nights, holidays and weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight