Belk Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,606 reviews matching the search See all 2,613 reviews
Enjoyed the job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NC 28655May 19, 2018
Enjoyed the people I worked with, and the manager was helpful with the work when needed. I learned the proper way to fold all of the clothes that we sold.
Pros
Good supervisor to work with.
Cons
Nothing.
belk
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 18, 2018
cleaning dressing room and making customers happy and taking over other people shifts in different departments when they had no call no shows and staying productive
Overworked and Underpaid
Sample Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BSS - CharlotteMay 18, 2018
Belk culture is a big popularity contest. Promotions and advancement are based on favoritism and in some cases tenure. Experience does not matter. The pay is below industry average and raises given on an annual basis are 1% regardless of how great your performance review is. There is not enough appreciation to balance the negatives.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
low pay and merit increases, management, culture
fun place to work
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCMay 17, 2018
When I worked at Belk, I loved it. I was pregnant, they worked with me. Also when I have a death in the family, they worked with me then too. It was a very professional place, yet a very fun place too.
Easy, slow paced, disorganized, dirty,
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNMay 16, 2018
Poor management, usually late (waited outside for 2 hours one day) just to be sent home and lose a days worth of work, very disorganized and dirty store out on the floor and in associate areas. slightly rude staff, help requests were usually ignored by most, if they were answered very quick and brief. Left to my own devices most days. Never had proper training.
Gone down hill since new company took over.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 16, 2018
I have enjoyed working at belk
Belk sold the company last October and it hasn't been the same since. We continually work understaffed now which doesn't help the company. We don't have enough staff to help keep the store looking good, the way it use to. All I can say, is I really like my managers and my co-workers. They are the reason that I am still there. I really don't like the way that this new company does business. I know that they own many stores, but if they run them the way they run belk, I am sure that they have many unhappy employees.
Pros
The managers are great, they think of you as a part of there family.
Cons
Not enough staff to maintain stock, or keep the customers happy, Way too much clearance, Not enough room for new merchandise
Good Place to work
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2018
I got a job here because of my mother who has worked for the company for over 10 years part-time. I met some really great people at both store locations I was at. I also enjoyed the customers. I would have liked more of a work life balance with rotating schedule for workers both full time and part time.
Pros
Breaks, incentives
Cons
long days especially when the store is dead
Interesting place to work- was very nice and friendly
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 15, 2018
Definite Top-Down Management- employees seemed engaging and benefits were fantastic-
Workplace culture was sporadic at best, leadership was also sporadic but consistent-
The best part of the job was location- was very accessible to many areas-
Great place to work full or part-time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 15, 2018
I worked at Belk during my holiday break from school. I enjoyed the work that I did and I liked interacting with the customers. The pay was good for a person in high school or college.
Cons
good place to start in retail
Operations Team Manager (OTM) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 14, 2018
Overall a toxic place to work once one moves a bit up the ladder. It reminded me of the crabs in a bucket. I wouldn't recommend a friend working there.

Want to know more about Belk?

Ask a question
A very good company
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2018
Overall very good company to work for. I was a good company to work for. I had good manager and associate we was a family ,supported and loyal to the company. I really developed strong people skill there.
Good place to work at
Picker (Current Employee) –  Jonesville, SCMay 11, 2018
I enjoy working there, i just feel that if you dont feel comfortable in a task i feel you shouldnt do it. Especially on a weekend shift, weekend shift shouldnt have to do inventory if you dont feel comfortable.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
It is a great place to work.
Belk Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMay 10, 2018
Belk hires the best of the best. Everyone I work with is responsible, fun, and just a great person. We try to stay busy all the time, but still help costumers. We have great security! I always feel safe there.
fun place to work very professional also
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNMay 10, 2018
Loved Belk. the management was amazing and professional yet treated me like a co worker and friend. family like. I would recommend shopping and working there by all means.
Pros
would have contest which was fun
Cons
no cons
Easy going workplace
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2018
The coworkers at belk were great. The work is not face paced but working the merchandising shift is sometimes exhausting. Customers are usually very easy to work with.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Workhours
Every man for themselves
Operations Manager / Interum Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Land O' Lakes, FLMay 8, 2018
Belk was purchased by Sycamore and everything began to change. The friendly work environment became cold and rigid. Sales environment is cut throat. The associate is pressured to open credits and improve customer service scores, but pay is only based on sales per hour. Pay is cut, if you don't make goal. Employees are routinely yelled at for doing anything wrong but never trained how to do things correctly. Everyone walks on eggshells thinking they will soon be fired. This job morphed from one of the best to one of the worst jobs I ever had.

Company does not have your back. Open Door Policy is a lie. If you call to complain about unfair policies or Hostile Working Environment you will be terminated!!!!!
Pros
The best parts all changed
Cons
Vindictive, cut throat, unfriendly Management
Fast paced work environment
Operations Associate III (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 7, 2018
Associates mostly stay to themselves unless they really need your help. Management has changed since I started working at Belk the first manager was excellent the second manager which is there now, is not good at all.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
The workload is too much and not enough hours equals low pay.
Belk is a family oriented work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAMay 7, 2018
Working at belk I have grown close to coworkers. There is a safe, family strong environment with possibilities for growth and advancement. Belk cares about employees and helps with life issues.
Pros
Family oriented, Advancement, Benefits, Positive
Cons
Not enough hours available
Exceptional work environment;low pay
Clinique Consultant (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNMay 7, 2018
Exceptional work environment. Management definitely treats you like family. Unfortunately, corporate restructuring restricts a lot of store-line choices and decisions.
Pay is extremely low
Pros
job environment
Cons
pay, hours, advancement opportunities
Fast pace environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 7, 2018
enjoyed working with my co-workers and meeting new people. Enjoyed working with the manager i had and getting to work in different departments and seeing the different kind of clothes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss