Belk Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,780 reviews matching the search See all 2,787 reviews
Good place to work and see people in the community
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALAugust 20, 2018
Good place to work with good benefits and if needed could change off day. Worked with buyers to get in clothing customers are asking for. Small store that served community well.
Before all the changes Belk department store made it was a great place to work
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSAugust 20, 2018
Before Belk department store teamed up with the Investment group it was a family oriented happy place to work . After that it was just that a job . I wish they had never changed. They lost employees that had 10 and more years , they lost customers that had been customers for years . The focusing on money cost much more than profit
Pros
It was a job
Cons
No hours, low pay
No opportunity for advancement
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 18, 2018
I worked at Belk several years, in several different positions. Once I reached a mid-level store position I was forced to take another position. Once in that position, the position was eliminated and I was moved down to a regular associate. I was not eligible for any more pay increases because my salary was capped because of the position I have been moved to. Advancement seems almost impossible in the store I worked in. I would not recommend Belk to anyone unless it was a last reaort
Pros
The discount
Cons
The hours and pay
Long hours sometimes but I have learned some skills in my job
Bridal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 18, 2018
The environment is good but there have been a lot of changes in the company because of a buy out. Changes in merchandise, less people on the floor to help customers, etc have been a major complaint from customers.
Pros
Nice associates to work with
Belk = bleh
Accessories Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 17, 2018
I worked in the accessory department. It was tedious and boring. All I did was organized jewelry and handbags. My boss was really awesome. I actually followed her from the job before.
Pros
nothing
Cons
slow paced, boring, rude customers
fun work please
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 17, 2018
it is nice and hard work
they need to fix staff and work with customer in the same time
the most enjoyable thing is the discount spacial with the Famous brand
Low paying job
Speciality Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2018
If you need a second job I would recommend this although the company is not the best the hours are not horrible. However if your looking for a second income I would recommend doing anything that pays more then $10/hr.
While I loved my job at the time, it could be very stressful and physical
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOAugust 15, 2018
While I loved being a visual merchandiser, it was a very physical job. Very stressful visits from corporate office, all but one of the managers in the 11 years that I worked there were very good. Regional managers were all awesome. But work loads just got heavier as fewer employees are on the floor now.
Stressful Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 15, 2018
They don't want to work with employees schedule. poor management. department manager are pushy to open credit cards make online and in-store sales. its just bad and very stressful. No sales, credits you'll never get promoted even when you can be the best hard worker.
Pros
Work with great co-worker.
Cons
Pushy with sales.
If you need the hours and the money great place.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 13, 2018
My review would be if you want to work those long days and long weeks perfect for you. A typical day insists on happy customers, getting different knowing of cultures and happy satisfaction of knowing customers leaving happy. I learned that there is always a better way out of things when you are strongly feeling it. The management is good, if you don't feel good in part they can place you somewhere where you will feel comfortable. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep the commission in shoes up it stresses me out sometimes. The most enjoyable part of my work days are the customers that I let leave with the biggest smiles and leaving with shoe they will love.
Pros
Great deals on clothes and etc.
Cons
Long hours for me at least.
decent
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vienna, WVAugust 13, 2018
i’ve been at belk for almost 2 years now. it has its good qualities and bad qualities. sometimes this job style isn’t for everyone, it’s competive, fast paced retail
Pros
30min-1hr lunches, benefits even for part time
Cons
inconsistent scheduleing, poor communication in general and with scheduling
Awful Management
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 11, 2018
If i could give management ZERO stars i would. Was lied to about many things when hired, compensation is not very good. Management is rude, hostile, and plays favorites.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
awful management, can't get time off
medium paced environment with options to advance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXAugust 10, 2018
cashiering is typically easy, the technology is old so it can have the potential to be a bit hard to learn. the dress. code is reasonable. management is understanding and easy to talk to.
hate it
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Thomaston, GAAugust 10, 2018
hated job rude co workers awful supervisors very demanding and not family orendtied and changed schedule daily i hated it i would never recomend this place hole to ANYONE
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
The management is lacking, training is insufficient, the store is unclean and messy, no pay growth, low morale. The only pleasant thing about Belk are the products they sell and the sales. As an employee the discount is all you have to look forward to. Better to work for Nordstrom.
Schedule
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 10, 2018
It would be a great place to work if the people wasn't so cold hearted. The scheduling is ridiculous and working long hours with no business is terrible. The manager there is so dumb some employees knows more than them. Belk is the most gossiping company I've ever worked at.3
Pros
Customers
Cons
Schedule, managers and workers.
Amazing job, but store manager was terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaffney, SCAugust 9, 2018
This was definitely the best job I've had in retail so far. I loved that I got to dress how wanted ( while sticking to company dress code), and I got to help customers shop for jewlery, clothing, shoes, etc. Though I loved the job, I just couldn't tolerate the store manager at the time. Due to him people constantly quit since he felt that he should always come before the customers. It even got to the point where he would yell and disrespect employees in front of customers. Belk should really be more careful about who they trust to run their stores, especially when the person has the potential to go on a huge power trip. Otherwise Belk will always have trouble hanging on to their employees.
Pros
Decent pay for the work, hour long breaks except sundays
Cons
management, rude coworkers
Fun, Fast Paced,
SALES SUPPORT TEAM (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 9, 2018
Belk is a excellent place to work it is a place you can grow and learn from. The culture is very diverse and they are willing to give any and everyone a chance if they put forth the effort,
Pros
Benifits
Cons
inconsistant shifts
Coworkers were the only good thing.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALAugust 8, 2018
I worked at Belk for over a year. I never recieved a raise and everyone (I mean everyone) who came in after me received higher pay. We're supposed to have a status check once a month, I've been there over a year and only received two. There are a couple good and Ginuwine managers, the rest are awful and lazy. My coworkers were the only thing that made the job worth it.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Fun place to work except during inventory tiime
Belk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work what I learned management workplace culture the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job. I am not including confidential company information or personally

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight