Belk Employee Reviews

Found 3,164 reviews matching the search See all 3,171 reviews
okay place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 23, 2019
working at belk is just like working in any retail establishment. you have to work long hours while standing and you have to work all weekends. you do work that wasn't originally assign when you were hired.
Daily over view of how I prepare for a work day
Part time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 21, 2019
A typical day would start by getting up on time and getting myself ready for work and when I need to be at work. Doing all duties and getting along with others. Willing and eager to learn new tasks and think out of the box. Having responsibility. I like my work place to be friendly and getting along with others. Working together as a team. Hardest thing of my job at times is not being taken as serious and often times being doubted by others when I know myself I can perform the duties accordingly. Enjoyable on the job is when you'd told how much your appreciated when you're not excepting to hear it.
Pros
Being appreciated, learning new tasts
Cons
Not being taken serious and doubted only to show I can do it.
do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMarch 21, 2019
this location doesn't even have a HR person. They can't keep new hires here because of their long term employees. They do not handle "competition" well, which is how they view new hires. At the makeup counters and in the women's section there were multiple reports of older employees attacking and harassing other team members, but management does not care.
it was ok
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Douglas, GAMarch 20, 2019
I didn't really like the job that much because of the things most of the management did. I also didn't like the way they would show favoritism to certain employees.
Great potential but just a little too much personality
Seasonal Sales and Order Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Centerville, GAMarch 20, 2019
Overall, I would have to say my favorite part about my very limited run at Belk while working there over the holidays was management. I didn't care for the culture of the store at all. It was denoted as one of the largest grossing stores in the entire district, but it certainly didn't feel that way throughout the shift. I spent more time arguing and defending myself against other employees and having to remind vendors that they're there to assist, if at all possible, but not to try and tell you that you're not doing your job or in any way micromanage your selling habits. The vendors were not really every given any executive check by the manager in my department, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed working there. Most of the staff, specifically outside my department were all very sweet and welcoming. Management was great, but they just need to learn ways to combat the verbal assault from most of their employees in a much more productive manner that will allow them to reach the goals they want to reach for the store rather than be weighted down by a small group of overly talkative and unprofessional "team players" that are about as daunting as a school of great white sharks.
Terrific coworkers but insufficient pay
Bridal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAMarch 19, 2019
Terrific coworkers but insufficient pay. Frequently covering more than one department and not enough time to get all new merchandise out on floor, keep departments organized, and wait on customers. HR is wonderful and always works to assist employees. Great employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Low pay
Fun, but not enough Hours
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXMarch 18, 2019
As a seasonal part-timer, the hours are fine especially if you're a college student, but if you're looking for a permanent part-time then prepare yourself for hour cuts after the holidays.
Overall a great company and wonder management!
Pros
free food on the holidays, great management, work flexibility
Cons
short breaks
A Store that needs updating in not only managers but time as well.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 18, 2019
Belk was old fashioned company that did not care much about stepping into the now. We all worked very hard but it always felt like you never got to accomplish your set goal.
Pros
discounts
Cons
would not work with scheduling
Avoid this Location!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCMarch 17, 2019
Avoid working at the HHI location at all costs! Store Management has no idea what he is doing. Short Staffed because everyone quits after a few weeks of working there. They will have you working non regular full time hours and every Sat and Sun! Manager also makes up a random pay rate for every employee. Does not care for employees only about money $$$. ! Worst job ever. Would not go back if it was the last job on EARTH
Good Hours for Full-Time Students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAMarch 17, 2019
Although Belk wasn't the best place on Earth. I stayed for so long because they were very accommodating with my hours. I was able to be a full time student and work at the same time due to their flexible hours.
Flexible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAMarch 16, 2019
Good at working with students class schedule. Easy to make friends and good work environment. Managers are knowledgeable and most are easy to work with
It was a good place for me to work
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  Jonesville, SCMarch 16, 2019
It was a enjoyable place for me,we had two nice break rooms, employees were nice, and new shack machines. Management, was ok to me,this is my opinion.
Pros
my wife loved the discount when shopping
Cons
one 15 min break, one half hour break for lunch, no second break
Good place to start working at out of high school
Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Dublin, GAMarch 16, 2019
I’ve worked at Belk since high school. At first the job was fulfilling because I just did what I was told and went home. Then the supervisor of my department quit and was replaced by someone who had no idea what to do so I had to pick up responsibility for them. At the time we were on commission and I was doing operational duties such as merchandising and planning and setting floor layouts and tracking department sales (doing managers type responsibilities) getting paid the starting salary plus commission which I was not making because I could not focus on selling. Finally I had to convince them to move me to a position where I was not penalized for not selling and to give me a decent raise for what I was doing because it was way more than I should personally have to. After I moved to the new position my workload only increased because now I could tackle all the operational responsibilities head on. After that the company came out with buy online pick up in store which they made me and my coworker responsible for and supplies was moved to my stockroom to maintain in addition to my department responsibilities. Now I’ve just kind of given up on Belk. I still go in and do my job but I do not stress or overwork myself anymore. Being in college and working at my store is such a great experience. My store personally is one of the best in my opinion. Managers are so friendly and sweet. They’re like my own family which is the way Belk culture should be if it’s not at your store. But the company at higher levels expects so much from people that they pay so little to. In my opinion all  more... the pay scales should get bumped up by two to three dollars and they should bring back department leaders and an assistant department leader so when one is not working the other one is. And all departments should be staffed with at least three people every day. And each store should have three STMs, an OTM, an ASM, and an SM no matter what size the store.  less
Pros
Great work experience, great culture, scheduling flexibility, friendly and sweet management, really good discount, credit spifs, opportunity for advancement, paid 15 minute break
Cons
Horribly understaffed, low pay scale for many responsibilities, must voice issues frequently to get any action, poor disciplinary system for poor work performance
Belk
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 15, 2019
Since the company was sold, the company has gone down. Schedules are never out in time, they expect more from you, pay isn't worth it. Manager are poor, they don't follow what they say and not enough employees.
Keep things picked up that people move out of place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 15, 2019
First thing when you get on the floor you check for things out of place and the dressing rooms. Customers always leave clothes in the dressing rooms. That was the worst part of the job. The best part was seeing someone happy with something they found.
Its alright a good first job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 15, 2019
good job if you need money or work but not a place to dedicate your career. Bosses were fine but they force to to try to give out their credit cards and mandatory to reach a quota
Pros
flexible
Cons
customers
Loved my job
Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 14, 2019
Loved my job in fulfillment. Would do it again when they need help. Every day was a challenge when it came to picking orders. Certain areas of the store were less organized than others, making it more difficult to locate ordered items. Finding difficult items, items not normally carried at this location, is better than winning a contest. People were friendly and helpful.
There were one or two people who were not fantastic examples of stellar employees.
Pros
Busy sales days & holidays Belk had free lunches and snacks
Cons
Job was temporary
Not what I expected
Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2019
The company is undergoing several changes. They have not meet their performance goals or paid out bonuses for several quarters. Leadership is consistently changing which is deeply impacting the hiring and lay offs. It's not the family company it once was.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAMarch 13, 2019
We had to learn how to greet our customer helped them fine clothing that they would look nice in also give them ideas on what jewelry to match with there outfit the most enjoyable part about working there was meeting and greeting customers making them feel welcoming
First Job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 13, 2019
It was my first job and a long time ago.
It taught me a lot about customer relations. Not everyone can be handled the same way and not everyone should be in the sales environment. I learned to trust my judgment when dealing with the public.
I don't know how much has changed in the 31 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss