Belk

Belk insights

Based on 1,648 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

An okay first starter job.. Not the best place for long term.

My experience with Belk is a rollercoaster. Some days I feel more into my work and other days I do not. Management is unorganized. Favoritism is definitely a factor. Drama between managers. You work with the public so you are of course going to deal with snobby costumers. My job is relatively easy but it’s the unhealthy mental environment you are surrounded by. If it was run by managers who ACTUALLY cared about your well-being, it might be worth it. As a hard worker, you don’t get treated as well as others for whatever reason. They seem to be more lenient around the ones who don’t put in much of the work. It’s retail so you get what you get I guess.

Pros

Hour lunches, benefits

Cons

Poor management, unorganized

Fun

Great, nice place to work. Team work, guided along to a path of success. Willing to work with you on time and pay and training. Recommend 100 percent.

Nice managers, low stress, great discounts.

If you want a job in retail, its a good place to work. Low stress, nice store, managers are kind and easy going. The hardest part is cleaning up after the customers that treat the store poorly.

Pros

Kind managers, hour lunches, good discounts

Cons

Some people may not like a different schedule every week

Don't waste your time applying at this company.

You are promised compassion during the interview. Once you accept the position, the incompetent, hostile, dishonest and unprofessional management begins to show their true self's. If you are dishonest and unprofessional you will get along just fine. It's the people who have a soul will suffer.

Pros

Cons

hours, pay, management (including HR) dirty store, long hours with no rewards

Fun people horrible management

The company stifles potential. There is favoritism and if you aren't a favorite you will not grow. There is no support and poor training. Credit card applications and sales goals are the only thing management cares about so they get their bonuses off of your work.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Poor pay

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Management Needs Improvement

The particular store I worked for has a negative and toxic work environment due to HR within the store and store manager. Camden Belk needs improvement within management team

Pros

Dress Code, Career Advancement (if you play favorites)

Cons

Management, unhealthy work to life balance, toxic work environment

Decent company to work for

The corporate team genuinely seem to care about its staff although at store level, that isn’t always the case and since covid, the staffing has been a shadow of what it was and the customer experience has suffered as a result.Covid definitely changed a lot and I hope the company keeps trying to push towards pre-covid levels of staffing and service.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Expectation levels can get crazy, work/life balance could be better

Worst managers I have ever seen. Toxic work environments in many job descriptions.Poor compensation for actual work required.Difference between actual job and hiring definition of work description.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Rare that the job description and the actual job are even remotely the same

Decent if you don’t ever want a raise

When they bring in new management, they get rid of current management staff and older cashiers. They would schedule the people that they wanted to get rid of to close the store and then open the store to drive people out.

Great place to work, have to do your job plus others

This job started off awesome and great. It did not take me long to move up. However, as my job duties increased, the pay stayed the same. They require you to do your job and 10 other jobs. It's difficult when you are trying to ring, help customers, and place things out. Some managers were not helpful and others did/said things behind your back. At times it did not feel everyone was on one accord.

Pros

Hour breaks, 15 minute breaks

Cons

Not enough help

Pushy Managers

The best part about this job was the discount, by far. Pay was average, coworkers tended to be pretty decent (relative to other jobs) and at one point was making more money in commission than I have at any other job...but at a great cost. You will be working a grueling week if you're in Women's Shoes, because the level of customer service is second only to Make Up, but at an unhealthy pace. The demand for customer service; determining needs, running in the back to grab multiple pairs, have them try them all on, take them back, etc...is just absolutely insane. Loved the customers though, working with them was typically wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing someone walk off happy because they looked good in their new shoes.

Pros

Discount, Pay (if commission based)

Cons

Unpaid lunch, Demanding (depending on location)

They promote within.

They are a good company to work for if you like not seeing your family much. They promote within and you get training so you are equipped to do the job.

Cons

Short lunch short staffed

Don’t waste your time

Wouldn’t recommend at all I was a seasonal worker, and they kept me on the hours per week was 5-15 a week. They would not schedule me for 2 weeks. Management really suck. Everybody doesn’t need to be a manager. It’s not worth your time. You will be stressed at work cause everybody wanna tell you what to do when they aren’t the boss.

Pros

Cons

Management, not enough hours

Easy fun job

This is a great job for someone who is in college and or someone who is looking to make side money wouldn’t really make it this job my career as the pay is not that great but overall the work environment is pretty decent

Pros

Breaks

Excellent co-workers. Horrible store manager

The day to day employees are fantastic to work with.. there is maybe one good department manager in the fulfillment area. The others are worthless. The actual store manager is a total waste of space. Constantly disturbing the flow of the work day. Her knowledge of anything seems pretty below par . The job itself can be fun if you enjoy helping people. The morale is low if the store manager comes around.. other days it is pleasant. Pay is okay... they work with your schedule for the most part. It is subject to change day to day.

Pros

Discount, great co workers, scheduling

Cons

Horrible upper management

Employees and customers are harrassed by too much couponing, emails, credit pushing and not enough of any help.

Long ago, Belk was a good company to work for, but as you get older, subtle ways you are treated and spoken to begin to surface. The bright young yes men are treated like stars, even if they know nothing and do very little actual work. Kiss up and just look busy will get you promoted every time.

Pros

Discount is good, paid time off is good, but you need to follow some rules or get into trouble.

Cons

Off the clock meal breaks are followed according to law, but a paid break is absolutely unheard of.

Not a healthy life

Working for the company was very stressful they did not care for their employees l. Anytime you needed time off it was always an issue with the managers.

Pretty good environment

Generally a good place to work, can be stressful, but that really just comes with the territory of retail. Team is good, the work is fun, everybody is helpful.

Pros

Lunches, benefits

Felt disrespected

I did the buy online pickup in store. Did not like it first of all. Some of the employees are really great and sweet. Some of the managers are cool. There was one who kept telling me we have to keep it under 2 minutes as far as getting orders out to customers like I didn’t know by now and like I wasn’t doing that already. They kept saying I have to stay in my area even though I was helping them look better by helping customers who needed to be rung up and couldn’t find a single open register. One day there was no one but two people including myself on the whole floor. I didn’t want to just sit and twiddle my thumbs while I had no one coming for pickups so I did what I thought a good employee should do. I am a valuable employee and great worker but was not treated as such. No organization with the schedule for lunches. One day they may have people set to cover lunches and the next they don’t.

Pros

Pay pretty decent for what job is.

Cons

No organization, not enough employees and some employees talk behind others’ backs

Toxic work environment

The managers do not care about your well being. They make it apparent in morning meetings you’re just another number and replaceable. The managers are fake, and only care about making their goals and do nothing for boosting morale. They make you do things that are not in your job description and won’t give you a review for raise even when they tack on a heavier work load. Prepare to work 7-10 days straight, not have your schedule until last minute, have your schedule changed and not notify you of changes, receive write ups for things out of your control, deal with favoritism—they talk down to you like you’re a child. They will hold hours past your scheduled lunch break because you haven’t finished a task. They punish you with a difficult schedule if you actually take your pto. Don’t apply here. Run.

Pros

PTO Sick Days Benefits

Cons

Horrible management toxic environment favoritism.

Productive and fun workplace

It was an overall great experience. I would definitely work there again. I love meeting new people and servicing customers and make sure there needs be met.

Pros

Lunches and breaks

Cons

Short breaks and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.2K

InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight