Bellefaire JCB Employee Reviews

Stressful, unrewarding, low pay, dangerous
Client Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OH 44118April 13, 2019
Bellefaire was not the most rewarding place that one could’ve worked for. There are no incentives for the hard work done by workers,& no room for advancement.

The environment is toxic, as employees are in cahoots/cliques,& management rarely visit units to assist/check on the wellbeing of the staff/clients.

It is rewarding to see clients become better mentally; however, when they’re angry, tend to be very aggressive and irate. The environment is not the safest, as you never know what to expect.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
No breaks, dangerous, management undermines their employees
You will be severely injured and nobody will care
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHNovember 21, 2018
Bellefaire JCB is a very difficult place to work. If you work in residential, like I did, you will be severely injured. The reason you'll be severely injured is because the residential units are perpetually understaffed, the staff there are very clique-y and won't help you unless they're you're friend, and management will not be understanding if you're injured and have to have days off. Management expects you to suck it up if you're injured. I received multiple concussions all because the unit was very understaffed and we were unable to restrain the teenager from attacking me. Everyone on my unit has gotten at least one concussion and many, myself included, have gotten broken bones.

The residential teams are very clique-y and management gossips about you when you are not around. There is very obvious favoritism towards clients and staff.

Overall, the kids are the only good thing about the job. It is a very toxic environment.
Pros
Great clients, free food, paid time off and vacation, casual attire
Cons
Literally everything else
Staff unappreciated, management is catty
School Therapist (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 10, 2018
If you like to work hard and be thrown under the bus by the revolving door of supervisors you’ll love Bellefaire. They care only about productivity and use their licensed staff for that purpose alone. Clinical care is a distant second place. Management gossips about direct care workers and you will never, NEVER get a raise. They add to the workload every month and that is never reflected in your paycheck. The clients are great!
Pros
Clients, union
Cons
Backstabbing, no pay raises, high turnover, no appreciation for job well done
Wonderful vision, mission
Health Clinic Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Shaker Hts, OHOctober 10, 2018
Wonderful vision, mission but can be challenging for direct care staff because of aggressiveness of clients toward themselves, others, and nurses/cottage staff. Nurses suffer from lack of office space, bathrooms, and eating area. Additionally, clients are de-escalated outside of clinic, making it very difficult to work, concentrate, and leave the area. Much experience, knowledge, and joy can be gained in working with kids with autism spectrum disorder and/or behavioral health issues and/or chemical dependencies. The campus itself is beautiful.
Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHOctober 8, 2018
low pay good vacations and benefits. Would recommend for interns only, unless you are in a position that has great compensation, friendly co-workers; increase overall pay asap
The kids are great, but administration is not
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHSeptember 27, 2018
It does not feel like the administration actually cares about the people who are actually doing the work (teachers, cottage staff, etc.). Our benefits are terrible; I do not make enough to live independently. There is no possibility to get a raise except the $0.25/hour you get per year of working here. I have also come to the point where I feel like I am not doing anything meaningful with the kids.
Pros
Easy sometimes, casual attire
Cons
stressful, tiring, low pay
Stressful
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJuly 16, 2018
Stressful working with the behavioral health teenagers.
Autistic cottages, clients were a good population to work with. Staff young high turnover rate.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Violent behaviors
Would not work there
Counselor (Former Employee) –  University Heights, OHJuly 6, 2018
I would not work there. While my old supervisor was amazing, my former co-workers would rather sit on their phones than actually work. Those that do actually work are undervalued, underappreciated, and underpaid. No break for lunch or dinner
Pros
Paid vacation, sick days.
Cons
No breaks. Constant stress. No reinforcement to stay
Okay place to work
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHJuly 2, 2018
This place has a nice, low stress working environment, but pays very little. I would only recommend Bellefaire JCB to someone who has a great financial support system. It is very difficult to maintain financially with this income only.
good field experience, but not a career path
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJune 24, 2018
coworkers are great and supportive, but management is terrible. You are completely dispensable and under appreciated. the pay is terrible, even for the mental health field, but the benefits package is really nice. Working at the school with the children is tough, but very rewarding. That and the relationships with coworkers are the best parts of the job. Bellefaire JCB only cares about making money off of their clients and nothing about the people that work there or how they serve the clientele.
The clients are the ONLY great thing about this place.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJune 16, 2018
The dynamic of the boarding academy (one in particular) has gone down DRASTICALLY within the last 6 months. We hired on a new unit director who is ONLY business and does not try to get to know the kids. The management staff: 4 supervisors and a unit director only care about their salaries and having their shifts covered. The management staff will go to h*ll and back to cover a full shift just so they don’t have to step foot on the floor and work with the clients. They beg youth counselors to work over 40 hours, and are almost ALWAYS short staffed. Most morning shifts contain 2-3 people which is UNSAFE because it takes 3-4 people for proper and legal restraints. The management team has no appreciation for their employees but writes them up as soon as they need a day off for a family emergency, doctor appt, etc. the kids were the best part about this place, and the only reason I’m sad I left. I hope I made a positive impact on the clients lives because the boarding academy does nothing for them; more than 80% of the clients shouldn’t even be in a home like this.
Pros
The clients, paid vaca (if approved), free meals (when no one steals them from the kitchen).
Cons
no breaks, horrible pay rate, horrible/unprofessional management
Childcare worker
Residential worker (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHMay 16, 2018
it is a start to something greater. Helping kids is the best part. Prepare to be injured. You are expected to run floors at times alone. Management is okay.
Pros
helping kids
Life at Bellefaire
Autism-Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, Cleveland, OHMay 11, 2018
Working at Bellefaire is great due to communication between staff and management. Upper management really gets the staff involved in their decision about the plans for the clients. The pay is decent but it's not considered a living wage. A typical day at work includes half an hour team meetings before the clients come home from school, doing hygiene with some of the clients, completing some tasks for choice time (i.e. on the ipad, outside, movie, books, etc), giving them lunch/dinner, helping them take their medicine (if necessary), and getting them into bed. The morning shift just has to get them into hygiene, eat breakfast, and take meds before they go to school. Cleaning after the clients is also a part of the job. The hardest part of the job is hearing and reading about the tragic histories of the clients and having to separate your feelings in order to get the job done, which is helping them become more independent. The most enjoyable part is having fun with the clients and seeing them smile and laugh. These clients deserve to have happy experiences and just live, and it's nice to be a factor in those moments.
Pros
Benefits, communication, teamwork, national and jewish holiday pay
Cons
Pay isn't living wage
I like working at Bellefaire because the company helps clients.
Residential Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHApril 28, 2018
I only work one night per week. I can work more nights during the Summer months when school closes. I have learned for to deal with mental health clients over the years because I have to train every year to keep up with the needs of the clients. Management is Okay I which it could be more professional as far as staffs acre concern. the hardest part of my job is to still awake eight hours through out the night. The most enjoyable part of my is taking care of the clients by meting their needs.
Pros
I really appreciate the treatment Bellefaire gives to the clients.
Cons
Most of the staffs are unprofessioanl
I thought I wanted to work there
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shaker Hts, OHApril 26, 2018
great place to work if your licensed but if you are attending school they will use you then wont hire you. will pay minimum wage if the applicant is ok with it.
Summary
Transportation Coordinator - School Based Program (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHMarch 31, 2018
You work with at risk youth. The way that the team provides services for these clients is impeccable. Supervisors are very helpful and willing to work with you.
poor
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHFebruary 12, 2018
upper management is catty and cliquey no employee confidentiality upper management will talk about you non professionally, employees unappreciated for years of service no room for advancement low pay ridiculous expectations with no reward benefits of any kind. As expectations have grown compensation in any form has disappeared... ceu trainings do not happen often i have to pay for renewal training bc i dont get what i need from jcb
Pros
friendships developed with coworkers vacation time
Cons
management pay unprofessional unrealistic expectations benefits
Great Place to work
Youth counselor (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJanuary 31, 2018
The work environment is very welcoming. Communication is key with this job and the co-workers are great. The supervisors are always available and on the floor with us.
Pros
Co-workers, Benefits, over time
Cons
Can be stressful
Great place to gain experience but you have to have a tough skin
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJanuary 21, 2018
A typical day involves fun times but also being able to take physical aggression when kids are escalated. I learned to think quick on my feet and how to calm a client in distress. The workplace culture is okay. The hardest part of the job is not over working because the amount of overtime available and the stress it could bring. The enjoyable part is the kids .
Poor Residential Experiences
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHNovember 14, 2017
Perhaps Bellefaire has better opportunities in other programs, but its residential treatment jobs are not suitable for most people long-term. Everything seems to be about budget and coverage as opposed to creating a safe and sustainable environment for staff members. The population in the residential cottages are challenging and the experience can be incredibly rewarding. I would strongly recommend working in residential as a first job after college, while attending school (scheduling can be flexible), or on a part time basis to gain exposure and understanding of severe mental health issues.