Bemis Company Inc Employee Reviews

Excellent company with outstanding potential
Director of Continuous Improvement (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 3, 2018
Excellent Company, with outstanding potential

- Competitive Compensation
- Room for growth
- Awesome people
- Poised for significant future growth

Challenges:
- Significant organizational changes underway
- Long hours & extreme flexibility required to be successful
- Some roles require excessive travel
- Some sites 'written off' for future capital investments
Decent Company Overall, but many cooks in the kitchen!
Market Manager (Product Manager) (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WISeptember 15, 2018
Bemis was an okay place to work, but due to its large size and many "cooks in the kitchen", it was difficult to get things done. The culture was fine, except for the general lack of responsiveness from people working there when it came to internal matters. This made it a struggle to get work accomplished since you had to rely on people in other functional areas for information and they seemed to place email communications in the lowest priority level, so unless you could catch them on the phone or track them down at their desk, just getting the info needed to make decisions or the right people together in a meeting was a daily struggle.
Pros
Flexible Work Environment, Good Compensation
Cons
Difficult to execute on work with reliance on so many other functional areas for input
Steady Employment Opportunity
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WISeptember 21, 2018
After 19 years of service where I intended to retire, the micromanagement of my superiors detracted from the previous enjoyment of going to work. I still enjoy what I do but having non-mechanical people evaluate your experience, procedural duties and time management deflates ones ambition to continue at a high level of accomplishment. When the perception that someone in an authoritative position of responsibility gets in the way of their ego and eyesight, trouble is soon to appear. My 19 years of consistent job performance, expertise, wisdom and passion for continual learning was cast aside like it was completely irrelevant to the continued success of the company. Upon termination from my position, as of midnight that day, all benefits of insurance for me and my family were canceled. The company says they care about your well being until they don't and you are essentially dead to them.
Pros
Economically pretty stable for employment
Cons
Continual manipulation of gainsharing formula
It used to be a geat safe place to work. Ideas turned into reality.
Plant Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fremont, OH 43420August 29, 2018
Lack of infrastructure and IT support severely impedes work progress. Management unsupportive of salary personnel. Improvement projects are no longer being pursued/supported. Opinions rule and fact based management is no longer part of the culture.
Pros
Clean work place.
Cons
Health benefits very expensive and little coverage.
it was a great job, but they had a high turn over rate bc they way they crew leader s and head packers talk to the employees
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJune 8, 2018
it was a great job only thing that i had a problem with was the abusive of authority and never followed procedure . they couldn't keep no one they always would quit because the way the ran the crew .but soon after i left they fired the crew leaders that was the trouble so i think i would recommend it to someone else as long as it under new management.
Pros
you can come in on your days off and get all the over time u want, if u work hard and know someone you will progress in the company
Cons
hot environment, swing shifts so body gets wore down easy
great place
Plate Maker (Former Employee) –  New London, WIDecember 14, 2018
Friendly environment, clean, climate controlled environment. Opportunity for advancement and competitive pay. Great benefits, with many extra amenities, including bonuses.
Your typical manufacturing company
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 3, 2018
Team I worked on was great. Not the best benefits (PTO mainly). Some opportunity for career advancement. I started as a contractor and was told I would be getting hired on after my contract. Find out a couple weeks before my contract to find out there was not a position at the moment and I would get a contract extension without a raise. When I did more than most of the employees I worked with.
Logistics Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INDecember 10, 2018
I spent 28 years working for Bemis Company. Bemis is a great company to work for. People who say it isn't demanded more than was necessary. I started out in a secretarial pool and worked up to a managerial position in less than 10 years. Bemis offers opportunity for advancement if you're willing to work for it.
Pros
Open channels to management.
Cons
Sometimes olays favorites
Decent pay with lots of over the top nonsense from management.
Grunt (Current Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 4, 2018
If they would focus on their employees more than money, they would probably get a head. Throwing money around for new machines instead of fixing the issues they have with current machines is a waste of capital. The ideas they need to stay afloat in the Rocky business is right underneath them with their employees but they pay consultants to tell them answers they already have. Safety is definitely not a priority. Thier moto is a distant dream that they will never acheive.
Pros
Eight percent matching on 401K
Cons
Poor management, Lean Manufacturing, not safety conscious.
Stressful and fast-paced work environment
Rewind Assistant Operator (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIAugust 20, 2018
Running for 12 hours straight, no work-life balance, swing shift. Minimal training and follow thru. Wages do not keep up with cost of living and management hypercritical.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no work/life balance
Solid company that is willing to train, respects employees.
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 18, 2018
Bemis is a solid company that is willing to promote the careers of it's employees through training and movement. The company is ethical and the work culture is generally positive.
Pros
good work culture, pay, benefits
Needs a general manager change
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  New London, WIJune 8, 2018
In a nutshell the culture at Bemis is to pass the buck on to the next person. My general manager knows very little about machining or engineering but is a decision maker in this particular part of the business. I'm not sure how the management team got to their positions but it is a good ole boy culture where needless positions are created for people that are part of the club. Now our facility is under scrutiny by upper management in an effort to control cost due to the restructuring efforts at Bemis. One of the most obvious and correct decisions to make would be to clean up the unnecessary overhead but unfortunately they are resistant to that. I could go on for hours about the ongoing issues at our facility but I think I covered one of the bigger ones.
Pros
Decent pay and flexible work hours
Cons
Workplace culture is not sustainable.
Bemis is NOT employee Friendly
Rewind Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 2, 2018
Bemis is in the process of being bought out by Amcor. In an attempt to make the company look better on the bottom line they are firing many long term employees. Anyone with 20+ years experience and 5 weeks vacation are being let go on a regular basis.

The rewind operator job isn't difficult however poor management causing more difficulties than there needs to be.

Lower paying jobs such as Roll Wrap should have 6 Employees to cover the lines but they often cut them down to 3 or 4 people to do the work of 6. High turn over rate because people burn out easily.

It is not a healthy or safe environment for employees. Constant rule changes that are beneficially only to the company and speeding production often causes problems on the floor.
Pros
Good Wages and vacation for long term employees
Cons
Run like a prison not as a business that cares about workers
The lunch room is fabulous. Anything you could want. You can bring a radio to your machine just " no" phones or anything with a camera
Packer (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 7, 2019
Training can be hit or miss. Have to ask alot of questions. They could benefit from having certified trainers. People with patience who follow a set training schedule. Some of the people training do not communicate well.
Once off probation you can be pooled to work extra days which at being 12 HR shifts can make for a long week.
Pros
A lot of nice people! Great benefits that kick in on your hire date...wow
Cons
Everything is computerized. Very fast paced. A lot of lifting and reaching
Not a bad place to work
Assistant Printing Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIAugust 13, 2018
Not a bad place to work but the management is very poor. The job is a bit repetitive but its easy work and the pay and benefits are well worth it. The worst part is how management doesn't communicate to you at all.
benefits
Cons
communication from upper management
Struggling
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 9, 2018
Huge shifts in management and subsequent strategies have created a stressful and difficult culture to work. Cost cutting and restructuring seems obvious that it is positioning itself for sale. Some really smart and dedicated people, many seemed trapped in a perilous culture.
Benefits
It was good money
Materials Planner/Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Pauls Valley, OKAugust 18, 2018
I would rate it a 3 out of ten. The job itself isn't bad it the people and management that you have to deal with. That's all I have to say about it...
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Ok for a job bad for a career
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bemis , WIMarch 17, 2018
No job security will dismiss for minor issues. Ok for single people but not great for family people. Decent vacation but have been taking away all perks of working there. Employees are miserable as the management runs the company through fear. Don’t make any mistakes or you will be collecting unemployment.
Pros
Benefits and pay as well as coworkers
Cons
Only care about numbers. Employees are just a number to use and then terminate.
Work is fair, hours keep changing
Journeyman bag operator (Current Employee) –  West Hazleton, PAOctober 31, 2018
I work an 8 hour shift for 6 months. Then changed to 12 hour swing shift for 6 months then beck to 8 hour shifts. Management on the higher end do not know what or how to run the plant. Pay is good for the job I do and the area I live in.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Swing shifts on 12 hours
Good job with alot of advancement opportunities
Lamination Coater Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 10, 2018
Bemis is a large company and its easy to become a number there however if you have good attendance and dont slack off you will stand out and move up the ladder fast. Shift/Department supervisors are great. Upper management however changes alot and they stuggle with communication. Pay and benifits are above average and the work is not hard. Coworkers are great and its overall a enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Excellent pay and benifits
Cons
12 hour rotating 2-2-3 shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bemis Company Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight