Benchmark Senior Living Employee Reviews

Never again!!!
CMT/CNA (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 19, 2018
They do not care if your family members are passing away, they demand you show to work. They have some of the most rudest CMTs I've ever met in my 20yrs. I could breathe when i left this place. Waste of time!
Unprofessional
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAJuly 15, 2018
It is sad that a person with an Associates Degree chooses young people. I think there worry it might look bad if your older.

Do not waste your time the shorter the skirt the better.
Cons
Don't waste your tiime
"The Human DIS-connection"
RCD (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 12, 2018
This company churns and burns through RCD's and nurses constantly. Many Plans of Correction needed to be written this past year to DPH. "Community" management is constantly on call and have an extreme amount of expectation of what their work is. The company pushes the illusion of elevating the "human connection" but it doesn't hold true for their employees. There is no compassion... not for management... not for the nurses... not for the RCAs... and especially not for your Grandmother who they are charging $10,000 per month to live in one of the outrageously overpriced "communities," until her income is exhausted and Grandma gets sent to a nursing home.

P.S. Please don't waterboard the other RCD's trying to figure out who wrote this review. They suffer enough under your iron fists as it is already.
Pros
They serve the residents great food
Cons
Everything else
Don't waste your time
RCA (Former Employee) –  East Lyme, CTJuly 4, 2018
They offer a reasonable hourly rate, but it's because you're working short-staffed. Between the person in charge of scheduling not putting enough people on the schedule to work and call-outs, it's completely unorganized. The residents are the only good thing about working here. They make your day when nothing else goes right.

Everyone seems friendly at first, but you can tell by the environment from the second you walk in the door that it's negative. I had an interview and when I went back the next day, the people involved in hiring me and offering me a position didn't even remember my name. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does. Employees are just a number and easily replaceable.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Atmosphere, management
Please Please stay away from this company
Executive (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 4, 2018
They will offer you everything and come thru with nothing. Management is the worst controlled by the worst regional team ever. They make you work a million hours and never pay the team.
Pros
Cons
The worst company every
residents & families are treated very well
Program Director / Department Head (Admin.) (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAApril 29, 2018
with the proper management, your community can be a wonderful place to work. Benchmark seeks out the best of the best in associates. frontline workers have many wonderful benefits & opportunities available.
The hands on experience with elderly residents has changed my life. you become a part of seniors' daily lives.
wonderful food & employee meal programs available as well!
most benchmark communities are beautiful, comfortable and clean.
a great staff can go a long way.
there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
hands on with residents, beautiful communities
Cons
may have to work most holidays
Former employee
RCA (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAApril 22, 2018
This is not a traditional assisted living
They accept residents who are bed bound, meaning it is "total care" for the person.

Also have a few residents who need a hoyer lift for transfers. Benchmark has a high turnover rate in caregivers
An RCA resident care aides are the CNAs. You can also get hired for care giving as a HHA home health aide.

Management is not good here, playing upon favoritism is often the case!
Pros
The residents
Cons
Management, false advertising, some co workers
Cutting hours, costs, and employees at the cost of the residents.
Utility (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEApril 15, 2018
The sheer decline I saw of this company in the short period I worked for them was disgusting.

Within my first few months of working there, I was told by one of the residents that I was the only one who helped them adequately. I brought that up to my boss, and they commended me on my service, but I couldn't seem to explain to them that I wasn't looking for props on my work, but instead was addressing an issue throughout the company.

Towards the end of my employment, my hours were cut, entirely for a week, then brought back on as part time, for sometimes less than 15 hours a week, when previously I was working upwards of 30. (with not fulltime benefits)

In the department we worked, we were almost always short staffed, and continually positions were cut throughout the year. I was told when I got hired that once another employee retired later that year I would take over their position (and presumably get a raise), and acquire their hours, but that position was cut entirely, and I didn't get it, and other employees and myself had to cover the responsibilities of the role.

Many of the younger workers (many of which were in high school and this was their first job) were pressured into clocking out before their work was finished, and they'd feel obligated to come back and finish up.

With all these setbacks, the service to the residents was severely diminished, and I feel they don't get the attention they need, since so few staff have so many responsibilities throughout the day, and many of the minor details that some of the residents need for their quality of life have
  more... been sacrificed for the company's budget.  less
Pros
The residents are usually really nice
Cons
the upper management does not care about you or your peers.
Mna
Medication Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, NHApril 8, 2018
Benchmark Senior Living is a wonderful place to work. I would highly recommend working here. The residents are amazing and the co workers are too. A lot of fun.
Wonderful environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Shelburne, VTApril 7, 2018
Really positive environment to work in. Feels like home. Residents are treated well and so are the staff. Nice collaboration between management and employees. Memory care is a challenging environment to work in, so if you aren’t willing to work hard it may not be for you. But if you put in the effort, you will find there are great rewards. The residents are so amazing!
Very good
HHA (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAApril 7, 2018
So far so good And I love the working environment,u get health insurance
Paid vacations
Tuition reimbursement
Time and half for holidays and so many of them
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent position
Director of Business Administration (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTMarch 27, 2018
Environment was beautiful and organized. The most friendly management environment. Team mindset, taking many hands to get the end result of helping residents feel comfortable, safe and taken care of.
Pros
Excellent management
Cons
Poor Management - the worse!
Dog Catcher (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, VTMarch 24, 2018
Save yourself the anxiety, don't do it. You will love the residents but the management is horrible. When you first arrive they make you feel included, comfortable, informed, etc. The first year people think it's amazing and than realize that it's all part of the game. You suddenly realize management no longer cares and you are just a person who can be replaced in a heartbeat even when you have given this company your all. They thrive on the lazy people who do nothing or contribute. The more you do, the more they expect so it's best to start lazy and stay that way as you will win here. You will receive lots of training but once the training is over....it's out the window and rules only apply to certain individuals. What one does wrong is warrant to be written up. Someone else can do the exact and it's all fine. They will use you until you are run ragged and when you reach that point, they will happily walk you out the door. Benchmark is a "revolving door" and every week you will see an orientation coming and going. It's like a constant recruitment for boot camp. Spare yourself, it's not worth it!
Pros
Residents are amazing
Cons
You work your butt off while the smokers hang outside 100 x's a day, management is the worse, rules don't apply to all, revolving door
Unproductive
Lna (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHMarch 13, 2018
Place is horrible!! I despised working here, couldn't wait to leave. To many residents not enough staff. Always end up working on an unpaid lunch.....
Pros
Cons
Low pay, poor managment, unpaid lunch
Benchmark
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 6, 2018
Working for Benchmark Senior Living was an absolute privilege. I really enjoyed my position as a receptionist for the last 7 years. Things kind of fell a part with management and the integrity which is why I chose to leave a specific community.
Not perfect, but they care about the residents
Server (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2018
Working here entails dealing with poor management, high job turnover and chronic under-staffing. On the bright side, most of the staff members were incredibly investing in the well-being of the residents and the company in general has a high focus on providing a high quality of care to the residents.
Pros
Employee benefits/appreciation, focus on high quality of care for residents
Cons
Chronically short-staffed, underpaid staff, poor management, high staff turnover
Sales only mentality. Very poorly managed.
Driver / Programs (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAFebruary 18, 2018
This would be only a temporary step for anyone in this industry. The lack of any solid management becomes apparent very quickly.

Seeing and talking with other Benchmark employees from other locations it seems the poor quality of management comes from the top and carries over to all of the Benchmarks.

Each department head is allowed to operate as they see fit regardless of what has been told to the staff. Best example is the "Free lunch - third Thursday of the Month". Great program that employees looked forward to - except when the majority of time the chef blows it off. Employees left with no lunch and must fend for themself.

It really comes down to the poor management of lack of any direction from the executive director.
Pros
Third Thursday free lunch - the chef forgets or eliminates 3/4 of the time.
Cons
To many to list
Big Mistake
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAFebruary 13, 2018
This job was a mirage.....as soon as your in everything they train to is thrown out the window. Could not have been more disappointed. Managers and Regionals are BULLIES. And there is nobody to turn to as they are a clique.....very sad. Corporate seems like Disney....don't be fooled. Community level IS NOT
Pros
Cons
Regional Management
nice and clean buiding
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHFebruary 7, 2018
love the residents and my co worker. pay could be better. they tend to hiring a lot of people for part times to avoid give you a benefit. But if you do your job right you will get opportunity to grown here.
They don’t care about there employees
Cook (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MAJanuary 29, 2018
Horrible management from top to bottom ..............nonstop finger pointing..tons of passing off work to someone else..non stop lies about what you need to do and what is expected of you..and it’s not only the kitchen that is a mess..allllll of the staff is clueless and the food is horrible so taking it home is pointless unless you have dogs so u can give them the food
Pros
Cons
The kitchen is ran buy the worst chef

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benchmark Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight