Benchmark Senior Living Employee Reviews

Great Place
Harbor Care Director (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, CTOctober 16, 2018
Enjoyed working here. I left because I needed some other ED Experience and the opportunity was not available at the time of interest. The CEO was great and supportive.
Pros
Huge Organization
Cons
Very very busy
Rewarding, purposeful, professional place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 14, 2018
It is all about the team! Team work from the top ( executive director ) to front line staff is working so well! The residents and families feel the love and genuine compassion. I am proud to work at my community and love what I do. The residents come first and the entire team of associates do an excellent job at providing excellent care and services to the residents !
Pros
The residents, families and associates ! Positive working environment
Great work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
I love working at Benchmark if offered a full time position I would consider it. The people there are kind & gentle with the residents. Great company with great benefits
Never paid
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTSeptember 23, 2018
Went to company mandated training in June of 2018; went on vacation was to start upon return in August. It is now September still not paid for hours worked.
never ever
formor rca (Former Employee) –  CTSeptember 17, 2018
horrible place to work.No appreciation for hard working employees. always sort staffed. Not a equal opportunity; but always favoritism worked. you will get good raise if you are favorite person of your supervisor. You have to work always sort staffed.If you find mistakes from your supervisor or nurses and you report it; you will get punished by getting bad review on your evaluation.
Pros
resident
Cons
work place, management, pay rate and everything else
Not bad, could be manage better
Resident Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 30, 2018
Miss managed, should be paid more. More like a nursing home. Family members are a lil disrespectful. Short staffed. Could be better. Can't keep staff.
Pros
Fun cowokers
Cons
Not enough money
Overall a terrible work experience
Worker (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAAugust 11, 2018
If you’re looking to be underpaid, unappricetated, overworked and work under immature, disrespectful and unprofessional management, benchmark senior living is the perfect job for you! Working here for 4 years I can confidently say this is the worst, unwelcoming job environment I have been in. Employees act like they’re entitled, they’re rude and have terrible attitudes towards their coworkers and residents, including “managers”. Maybe it’s becuase we’re so underpaid! Don’t bother asking for time off or a raise, you won’t get it. This place has significantly gone down hill since I started, not sure how hopeful the future of this company is.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, work environment
Poorly run company
Programming (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
I went to Benchmark with high expectations. I was extremely let down. Not only would I not work there I honestly don’t feel I could have a loved one live there. Management is horrible. The staff is always short which makes for unsafe working conditions for both the residents and staff. Many of the managers lack training and are unprofessional. The regionals are completely clueless. Unfortunately anyone good ends up leaving and many who stay shouldn’t be there in the first place....
Pros
Benefits, residents
Cons
Everything else
Extremely unprofessional
Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  The Commons in LincolnJuly 30, 2018
It have worked for Three Benchmark communities. The first two jobs were rewarding and enjoyable. This past community at The Commons in Lincoln was horrible. I lasted 10 months before I resigned from pure frustration with the Upper Management. I was a Dining Room Manager at Lincoln. Upper management have an every man for himself attitude. There is no team mentality and definitely no “Human Connection” which is this years motto. Employees on all levels are treated disrespectfully. Promises are made with no intention of ever keeping them, manipulation of PTO, long hours usually without breaks.
Upper management including HR do not lead by example. Having weak upper management leads to low morale as it trickles down. After resignation, it was like pulling teeth to get my final pay and PTO time. Very unprofessional behavior.
Pros
Pay is average. Some co-workers were enjoyable to spend such long days with.
Cons
Cut throat atmosphere, Unprofessional employees on all levels from hourly to upper management, Arrogant management at the top.
Great training, but poor employee retention
Director Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 23, 2018
Great training and continuous training throughout employment.

For the most part a solid team at the community level. Corporate and the communities need to improve communication to improve business on all levels, as well as employee retention.
Pros
Great training and solid team at the community level
Cons
Poor communication with corporate
Bad hiring methods.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 19, 2018
Applied for Program Director position that has been opened for 5 months. They only have "group" interviews. 3 or more candidates at once sitting at a table. The chef and other employees were interviewing us. Other candidates can sit back and feed off your answers and better them so it is not fair because they waited and did not know how to answer the question in the first place. They then tell each of you that they will contact you in 24 hrs.

The next day they called and stated they will need a 30 minute presentation working with the residents and it had to be on a holiday weekend so I had to drop a planned trip that was costly. I figured they wanted to see how badly I wanted the job. After the presentation they said they will call me again. I waited a week and then they called and said I will be called by another person for a phone interview. That never came and after a week they called me and stated they forgot about the phone interview.

They called me back into the facility and had a "offer" letter waiting. It listed the position as $ 16.50 hr. but did not list any benefits. It also stated it was for 37.5 hrs. per week. I asked about the benefits and they stated they will talk about that after I attend 2 training days. Originally the position was supposed to be 40 hrs. per week at $16 to $24 starting salary. I found their Human Resource division number and they stated I would have to pay a very high premium for my health insurance through them and would get a vacation day after 6 months if I was working 40 hrs. a week. At 37.5 hrs. a week I get nothing.

After taking
  more... several days off to go through this process and canceling a holiday trip I was very disappointed. The hiring tactics are very shady. They want you to leave your current job before disclosing any other information about your benefits, etc. This way they figure they locked you in and you cannot go back to your old job. It is too bad too. Facilities look nice but unless they want to fill these positions they have to offer alot more and change their hiring tactics. This is like trading in your old car, buying a new one and then finding out what your percentage rate and monthly payments are and not being able to get your old car back.

Positions at Benchmark are for those that do not need benefits and never take a vacation for mediocre pay that may take years to get to the top pay for that position. Look elsewhere. Don't waste your time applying.
Pros
Medium starting pay.
Cons
Sketchy hiring technique and they do not tell you about benefits.
Never again!!!
CMT/CNA (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 19, 2018
They do not care if your family members are passing away, they demand you show to work. They have some of the most rudest CMTs I've ever met in my 20yrs. I could breathe when i left this place. Waste of time!
loving
Benchmark Senior Living (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJuly 17, 2018
i Love my residence and employees! but im looking for another job setting, but its a good promising job that will helps alot of people get on track please remember to have kind mind and heart in this job setting
Unprofessional
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAJuly 15, 2018
It is sad that a person with an Associates Degree chooses young people. I think there worry it might look bad if your older.

Do not waste your time the shorter the skirt the better.
Cons
Don't waste your tiime
"The Human DIS-connection"
RCD (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 12, 2018
This company churns and burns through RCD's and nurses constantly. Many Plans of Correction needed to be written this past year to DPH. "Community" management is constantly on call and have an extreme amount of expectation of what their work is. The company pushes the illusion of elevating the "human connection" but it doesn't hold true for their employees. There is no compassion... not for management... not for the nurses... not for the RCAs... and especially not for your Grandmother who they are charging $10,000 per month to live in one of the outrageously overpriced "communities," until her income is exhausted and Grandma gets sent to a nursing home.

P.S. Please don't waterboard the other RCD's trying to figure out who wrote this review. They suffer enough under your iron fists as it is already.
Pros
They serve the residents great food
Cons
Everything else
Don't waste your time
RCA (Former Employee) –  East Lyme, CTJuly 4, 2018
They offer a reasonable hourly rate, but it's because you're working short-staffed. Between the person in charge of scheduling not putting enough people on the schedule to work and call-outs, it's completely unorganized. The residents are the only good thing about working here. They make your day when nothing else goes right.

Everyone seems friendly at first, but you can tell by the environment from the second you walk in the door that it's negative. I had an interview and when I went back the next day, the people involved in hiring me and offering me a position didn't even remember my name. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does. Employees are just a number and easily replaceable.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Atmosphere, management
Please Please stay away from this company
Executive (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 4, 2018
They will offer you everything and come thru with nothing. Management is the worst controlled by the worst regional team ever. They make you work a million hours and never pay the team.
Pros
Cons
The worst company every
residents & families are treated very well
Program Director / Department Head (Admin.) (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAApril 29, 2018
with the proper management, your community can be a wonderful place to work. Benchmark seeks out the best of the best in associates. frontline workers have many wonderful benefits & opportunities available.
The hands on experience with elderly residents has changed my life. you become a part of seniors' daily lives.
wonderful food & employee meal programs available as well!
most benchmark communities are beautiful, comfortable and clean.
a great staff can go a long way.
there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
hands on with residents, beautiful communities
Cons
may have to work most holidays
Former employee
RCA (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAApril 22, 2018
This is not a traditional assisted living
They accept residents who are bed bound, meaning it is "total care" for the person.

Also have a few residents who need a hoyer lift for transfers. Benchmark has a high turnover rate in caregivers
An RCA resident care aides are the CNAs. You can also get hired for care giving as a HHA home health aide.

Management is not good here, playing upon favoritism is often the case!
Pros
The residents
Cons
Management, false advertising, some co workers
Cutting hours, costs, and employees at the cost of the residents.
Utility (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEApril 15, 2018
The sheer decline I saw of this company in the short period I worked for them was disgusting.

Within my first few months of working there, I was told by one of the residents that I was the only one who helped them adequately. I brought that up to my boss, and they commended me on my service, but I couldn't seem to explain to them that I wasn't looking for props on my work, but instead was addressing an issue throughout the company.

Towards the end of my employment, my hours were cut, entirely for a week, then brought back on as part time, for sometimes less than 15 hours a week, when previously I was working upwards of 30. (with not fulltime benefits)

In the department we worked, we were almost always short staffed, and continually positions were cut throughout the year. I was told when I got hired that once another employee retired later that year I would take over their position (and presumably get a raise), and acquire their hours, but that position was cut entirely, and I didn't get it, and other employees and myself had to cover the responsibilities of the role.

Many of the younger workers (many of which were in high school and this was their first job) were pressured into clocking out before their work was finished, and they'd feel obligated to come back and finish up.

With all these setbacks, the service to the residents was severely diminished, and I feel they don't get the attention they need, since so few staff have so many responsibilities throughout the day, and many of the minor details that some of the residents need for their quality of life have
  more... been sacrificed for the company's budget.  less
Pros
The residents are usually really nice
Cons
the upper management does not care about you or your peers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benchmark Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight