Benchmark Senior Living Employee Reviews

Lack of care and compassion
RCA (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 20, 2018
I worked for this company. They don’t want any overtime (so management can keep overtime pay allowed by cooperate office for own vacation time). RCA’S are way underpaid for the labor expected. If you complain about your co workers not doing their job you are frowned upon and get small raises $0.10 to be exact. Residents are not getting scheduled showers when suppose to. You literally pick up the slack of other co workers and they are always understaffed. They work you like a dog for a measly $13.00 an hour as a CNA. The place was a joke! The only good thing is the benefits that is it.
Pros
Health insurance, 401k and vacation paid
Cons
lack of compassion for employees and residents
Overall good place to work. Low Pay
LNA (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHDecember 11, 2018
Its a good overall place to work, small facility and pretty good management, co workers are friendly and its a slow paced work environment for the most part some days are busier but still nothing compared to other places. Residents are fun and loving. Low Paying is the only real downside to working here even for experienced staff or staff that has been here awhile its nickle dime raises and really no talking management into paying more.
Pros
easy work for job role
Cons
low pay
Overall a terrible work experience
Worker (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MAAugust 11, 2018
If you’re looking to be underpaid, unappricetated, overworked and work under immature, disrespectful and unprofessional management, benchmark senior living is the perfect job for you! Working here for 4 years I can confidently say this is the worst, unwelcoming job environment I have been in. Employees act like they’re entitled, they’re rude and have terrible attitudes towards their coworkers and residents, including “managers”. Maybe it’s becuase we’re so underpaid! Don’t bother asking for time off or a raise, you won’t get it. This place has significantly gone down hill since I started, not sure how hopeful the future of this company is.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, work environment
An amazing caring ever-changing challenge. So rewarding.
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  VermontDecember 11, 2018
I leave every day with hugs and love and know that I did my best enriching our Seniors lives. The management is on top of everything and very accommodating. I have learned so much here about how to communicate with those who suffer from dementia, and how to help families get through this hard time. The staff here for the most part are so amazing I wish we could clone them. The culture is up beat and full of a magic of our own. The hardest part is losing residents, and good staff. But life is ever changing so we find our way to go with it, and keep the care/love flowing. The residents here will steal your heart away, making it the most enjoyable part of making them happy and content being here. The staff back each other up on the drop of a dime. Management notices.
never ever
formor rca (Former Employee) –  CTSeptember 17, 2018
horrible place to work.No appreciation for hard working employees. always sort staffed. Not a equal opportunity; but always favoritism worked. you will get good raise if you are favorite person of your supervisor. You have to work always sort staffed.If you find mistakes from your supervisor or nurses and you report it; you will get punished by getting bad review on your evaluation.
Pros
resident
Cons
work place, management, pay rate and everything else
Not a place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MADecember 17, 2018
I worked at Benchmark as a part time employee and since I was the youngest I was walked all over, and they’d make me do all the work and then they’d go and tell the district manager and location manager that they did the work. They didn’t respect my work or me, and worst of all they kept saying “don’t talk to the elderly, we get paid, so keep working.” This is heartlesss for management to say when this is a retirement home. Most heartless, laziest and back-stabbing people I’ve ever met. If you want respect and a good job then avoid Benchmark
Benefits
Cons
Staff, and management
Not Just A Job
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 21, 2018
Benchmark is a company that truly cares about it associates at all levels! Employees work hard but the work is rewarding, we are truly making a difference in the lives of our residents. When I started, my onboarding was thoughtfully planned and everyone has been very welcoming. There are many programs in place for employees to get recognized and rewarded. The company is a Top Place to Work for a reason. I look forward to continuing my career at Benchmark!
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, employees are rewarded and recognized for hard work
Cons
staffing
Creative and Energetic wrapped with Empathy and Excellence!
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Cape Cod, MADecember 8, 2018
Being an Associate at Benchmark means that you are part of a team that is continually striving to connect with each other and those we care for. Each department and each individual is responsible for the experience of their co-workers and the residents and families we care for. Associates are empowered to make the experience memorable, easier, warm and inviting. Value and recognition is given frequently to associates who contribute and associates as a whole are thanked and appreciated with varied events and awards. Associates are held accountable but management recognizes the need to care for your self and your family and provides regular support during times of personal challenge. Senior managers are accessible and provide strong confidence regarding the direction and integrity of the organization. You are expected to work hard, to continually improve quality- but all of this is done with appreciation and genuine care.
Pros
Teamwork, educational opportunities-making a difference for seniors
Cons
emotional, managing through loss of those we care for at end of life can be difficult.
Extremely unprofessional
Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  The Commons in LincolnJuly 30, 2018
It have worked for Three Benchmark communities. The first two jobs were rewarding and enjoyable. This past community at The Commons in Lincoln was horrible. I lasted 10 months before I resigned from pure frustration with the Upper Management. I was a Dining Room Manager at Lincoln. Upper management have an every man for himself attitude. There is no team mentality and definitely no “Human Connection” which is this years motto. Employees on all levels are treated disrespectfully. Promises are made with no intention of ever keeping them, manipulation of PTO, long hours usually without breaks.
Upper management including HR do not lead by example. Having weak upper management leads to low morale as it trickles down. After resignation, it was like pulling teeth to get my final pay and PTO time. Very unprofessional behavior.
Pros
Pay is average. Some co-workers were enjoyable to spend such long days with.
Cons
Cut throat atmosphere, Unprofessional employees on all levels from hourly to upper management, Arrogant management at the top.
residents & families are treated very well
Program Director / Department Head (Admin.) (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAApril 29, 2018
with the proper management, your community can be a wonderful place to work. Benchmark seeks out the best of the best in associates. frontline workers have many wonderful benefits & opportunities available.
The hands on experience with elderly residents has changed my life. you become a part of seniors' daily lives.
wonderful food & employee meal programs available as well!
most benchmark communities are beautiful, comfortable and clean.
a great staff can go a long way.
there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
hands on with residents, beautiful communities
Cons
may have to work most holidays
Competitive enviroment.
Memory Care Director (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 26, 2018
Working at Benchmark is competitive and face paced. There is a lot of opportunity to grow within the company. The staff provides top notch care to our residents and there is a very friendly, family atmosphere.
Pros
Growth
Cons
High cost of benefits
Poorly run company
Programming (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2018
I went to Benchmark with high expectations. I was extremely let down. Not only would I not work there I honestly don’t feel I could have a loved one live there. Management is horrible. The staff is always short which makes for unsafe working conditions for both the residents and staff. Many of the managers lack training and are unprofessional. The regionals are completely clueless. Unfortunately anyone good ends up leaving and many who stay shouldn’t be there in the first place....
Pros
Benefits, residents
Cons
Everything else
The very best company I ever worked for.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandJanuary 18, 2019
I love working here. They believe in there employees. Benefits are the best in the industry. Management in my community is great. Love working here. You will too
Pros
Free lunch, relaxed atmosphere, so many benefits. Lots and lots of benefits.
Cons
Have to wait 90 days for health coverage.
Fabulous Opportunity and growth
Resident Care Specialist (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 6, 2018
I am a people person, and love to connect to people. Whether you are a Visitor, Family member, resident or friend Benchmark as a whole exemplifies this connection.
" We are a Human Connection Company" . Walking into our Home Office or a Beautiful community you have the sense of belonging to something larger than yourself.

I have worked hard with the assistance of my Directors (past and present) to reach my full potential. My career goals have always been well thought of, discussed and recognized . I am extremely proud of my personal opportunities and growth in the organization, and plan to be with Benchmark Senior Living for years to come.
Intentional Experiences
Director of Community Relations (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHDecember 6, 2018
I have the pleasure of working with an amazing team under a phenomenal leader that not only encourages us and empowers us but challenges us to be the best that we can be individually and collectively as a team. The best part of my day is connecting with our residents and their family members! Our respect for each other is what contributes to a positive work culture and environment. There is a lot to be said for being in a position that allows you to support people every day!! It is very fulfilling!!
Pros
flexibility, continuity, on going support, comraderie, team, education, empowerment
Fun and productive workplace. Love in everything done.
Traditional Care Director (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYDecember 15, 2018
Benchmark is not just a point of reference, it is a daily standard on how associates and residents are treated, thus the feeling is reciprocated in everything the associates do for each other, residents and families. The organization does everything possible for their staff to have a work/life balance. The staff do everything for residents to live a full, engaged, and healthy life. Oftentimes I heard remarks from those who tour the community, "Can everyone be so nice?" "Everyone is just so caring, loving and nice!" That is just a small part of Benchmark's standard. Residents in our care frequently state, "I must tell you, the staff is so caring, gentle, loving and kind." Benchmark's motto to Connect to What Matters is taken seriously and ensuring that staff who are Called to Care becomes the Benchmark of our daily living is genuine as well. Based on the standard expected and routinely given, all Benchmark associates live the Better Together slogan daily.
Pros
Flexibility; Work/Life balance; Healthcare; Associates; Residents!
Cons
Staff wanting to spend all day at work.
Terrible company
RCA (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, CTDecember 23, 2018
If you don't want to lose your license don't work for this company. No teamwork once your co-worker becomes a lead aide they feel like they don't have to work and tell you what to do. Management is terrible and will not protect you. They tell new hires they have hours that don't exist. Stay away from this company. The harbor director is evil trouble making person, she talks very bad to the workers and doesn't get in trouble. Don't waste your time this isn't assisted living this is a nursing home.
Pros
Cons
everything especially management
It is a fairly pleasant environment to work. We love the residents and go the extra mile for them when needed.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 24, 2018
A typical workday involves getting residents to participate in group sing-a-long; exercise programs; games. There are theme nights.
We have movies every night for those who are interested.
At the end of the day we ensure all residents are well taken care of and ready for bed.
Pros
There is a family relationship with co- workers to get the job done.
Cons
Salary could be better.
Rewarding, purposeful, professional place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 14, 2018
It is all about the team! Team work from the top ( executive director ) to front line staff is working so well! The residents and families feel the love and genuine compassion. I am proud to work at my community and love what I do. The residents come first and the entire team of associates do an excellent job at providing excellent care and services to the residents !
Pros
The residents, families and associates ! Positive working environment
"The Human DIS-connection"
RCD (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 12, 2018
This company churns and burns through RCD's and nurses constantly. Many Plans of Correction needed to be written this past year to DPH. "Community" management is constantly on call and have an extreme amount of expectation of what their work is. The company pushes the illusion of elevating the "human connection" but it doesn't hold true for their employees. There is no compassion... not for management... not for the nurses... not for the RCAs... and especially not for your Grandmother who they are charging $10,000 per month to live in one of the outrageously overpriced "communities," until her income is exhausted and Grandma gets sent to a nursing home.

P.S. Please don't waterboard the other RCD's trying to figure out who wrote this review. They suffer enough under your iron fists as it is already.
Pros
They serve the residents great food
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benchmark Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight