Benefis Health System

Benefis Health System insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Ambition is rewarded

With fewer than six months on the job I have moved into another position. Don't be afraid to shine your light... it will be rewarded. If you display talents in areas other than what you applied for you will be sought out.

Pros

Diverse culture, single minded goals

Cons

Pricey meals in cafeteria

No communication with supervisors

The food is expensive and is either overcooked or not cooked all the way.Management tells you to do it one way the first time and thin makes you do it over a totally different way the next time.Management spends all day in there office with there pets while us other workers do all the work.Have to work with contagious people and don't even know they are sick. Nobody tells you until after you are done

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

Short brakes

The work is hard but the pay is fair.

Benefis Health System is not a job - it is a career. To me, money talks, and they aren't afraid to pay well for a good job. Is it hard there? YES! But hard work that pays fairly is worth it. Also, I find most of the managers I have met to be fair and reasonable. I have only been there 6 months and my feet were covered in blisters the first month, but I would do it all over again knowing that I would actually be getting paid a reasonable wage.

Pros

overtime shift differentials weekend pay +2$ night pay +3$ Incentive Overtime +11$

Cons

Very busy, hard work, working weekends and nights, high deductibles on the health insurance

Good place- diverse options for growth

Interesting settingMany settings to choose from and lots of interesting clients from different cultural backgrounds.There are great people in MT. It is cold, however.

Productive and great work place

I love working here and wish I could again but I letting my personal life get the best of me and I lost my job. If your wanting to start a career in healthcare I would 100% recommend starting here for anyone.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

No benefit in Benefis

not very supportive environment for new nurses. everyone is out for themselves and will throw you under the bus if they get the chance. Dont get me wrong. there are a few good ones that truly know what teamwork is.

Cons

Short staffed

Good pay and benefits. Lots of drama.

I worked in food service here for like 9 months. It’s a good place to start and maybe transfer to another department once your probation is up. I was contracted as a .8 which meant 32 hrs/wk and I live about an hour away so I only wanted 32 hrs/wk but was constantly scheduled 40. I told my supervisors countless times that it was just too much, driving 2 hrs to/from work every day was a lot and none of them listened until I had a meltdown and told them I flat out could only work my 4 days/wk or I would have to quit. Then I ended up having to stay late most days to make up for what wasn’t done on my days off so I was still working way more than I wanted to. You HAVE to put your foot down with them or they will assume you will do anything and everything they need/want. In food service, there are no breaks except a lunch break which would be fine if it was like halfway through your shift, but in many positions you get lunch 2-3 hours in which makes for a long rest of your day. Needing a bathroom break during the last 5-6 hours can almost feel like a crime sometimes depending on who covers you for it if there’s even anyone available. The pay was good and PTO was awesome when they’d let you take some which was usually approved if you put it in early and no one else requested it first, although they’d often forget they approved it and it would cause chaos when the time came and you’d be on the schedule to work the days off you were approved for and had already made plans not to be there. My manager was pretty nice but some of the supervisors (one in particular who probably isn’t leaving -

Pros

Pto, good pay, some awesome coworkers

Cons

No breaks, supervisor issues, tendency to take advantage of employees

To be manager you have to know the right people.

It is all about who you know! People are promoted without any type of leadership skills or experience as long as they are in the "in crowd". Patients are never the priority to upper leadership, only on complaints that are reported and documented.I have seen good people come and go. Their complaint is consistently that if you don't know the right people, you get blacklisted and erased. Policies are applied to you that are not applied to others who do the very same things.The biggest problem is inconsistency. There are too many EHR systems and they do not communicate with one another. Patient care is suffering because of it and no one is doing anything to fix it. This isn't something that should wait for three years, it should be done immediately! Maybe the money spent on food and alcohol could go toward the upgrades.This culture is toxic and good people won't stay long or they get numb and just go through the motions and stop caring.

Pros

wonderful people on the front lines

Cons

extremely toxic environment

Too much pressure with little or no support for management.

When managers are overloaded it trickles down and affects entire team. More managers are needed in order to allow them the time they need to tend to needs of staff and patients.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Too focused on growth with no focus on consistency.

Productive and enjoyable workplace. Great teamwork

No complaints. Team work is amazing here! Supportive coworkers. Great work-life balance. Great charge nurses, who were happy to teach you and answer questions as needed.

Pros

Great coworkers

Excellent Place to Work

Benefis is a family. They take care of their own. Excellent pay, benefits and employee relations. They keep employees informed as to what is happening good or bad.

Challenging and frustrating

Work is hard because not everyone receives the training their suppose to have. A lot of picking up slack from other people. Management has a hands off approach to solving problems and rather have you deal with them on your own. The hardest part of the job is the people that don't do their job. The best thing is the ability to help people through things that they need to get them better.

Growing company,

The most enjoyable part of my job is caring for my patients. Benefis is supportive of personal growth and advancement if you work hard want it. My Co-workers are supportive and appreciative. Benefis is like a family.

Pros

Family like culture, encourages personal growth

Cons

Staffing has ups and downs like all hospitals

I enjoyed working for Benefis and my coworkers. The biggest problem is management. If you have a good manager, you have a good team. If you have a bad manager, you have a bad team. Overall, it is a 50/50 split. Half the managers are great/good, the other half are very poor, Desperately need more focus on management, teach your managers to be leaders. I have seen some pretty amazing teams fall apart because of a new manager who is not a leader, just collection a pay check. It ruins the department and the team, drives away great employees.

Depends on your manager

It certainly depends on who your manager or director is. Minimal to no oversight. No quality checks or metrics used. Considerable amount of errors by co-workers. Manager paid little attention to this.

Terrible management, short staffed, low morale

More than ever recently the morale on my unit has been terrible. People are unhappy, stressed, burnt out, and bitter. We are forced to work more and more, floating to other units constantly, or working with unsafe short staffing. We are not paid more for the extra work we have been doing or for floating to other units, nor is our hard work and help appreciated. Management doesn't care about employee satisfaction, it's all about productivity and profits.

Pros

Cafeteria has good food but it's expensive, love most of my coworkers, good retirement plan

Cons

Short staffed, high stress, overworked, management does not listen or advocate for nurses, employee satisfaction is the very last priority, all about profits

Official response from Benefis Health System

October 26, 2020
While our recent surge in patients as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic plus employees being quarantined, has made things difficult for everyone, we remain committed to being the best employer possible. We value feedback from all of our employees and would love to visit with you further to see if we can do anything to improve your work life during this time. Please reach out to us directly in Human Resources to talk with us more about how we can improve.

Good pay, flexible schedule.

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Benefis Health System is great. I have a fairly flexible schedule and alot of autonomy in my position.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Benefis Health System are pretty good, but i feel that the health insurance could be better.

review for ED

Learned lots, was a great experience. Always felt welcome to ask questions and was encouraged to try things I hadn't before. There were times when other employees made a snarky comment in a moment of tension, but that was completely to be expected in a high stress facility. Overall was one of the best medical jobs I've had

Pros

teaching friendly, lots of opportunity to pick up extra shifts

Cons

high stress environment

Complete focus on the dollar and not on the patient

This hospital went from a patient focused and employee focused hospital to a dollar driven health care system within about 5-6 year period. If you are just a nurse this a place for you.

Pros

All of the overtime you want

Cons

All of the overtime you want

Very busy place to work but fun at times

I liked working for benefis for a while but I started not to like the management for the unit I was working for and I started having health issues which have been figured out now

Only hospital in area means they don’t have to try hard to keep employees

I found my time at Benefis to be somewhat of a holding pattern in my life. I was waiting to pursue the next thing. There are definitely some amazing people who really care about what they are doing, but I felt trapped by the lack of options in Great Falls. As with most hospital jobs, I felt that there were too many expectations on nurses for too short of a time to complete them. The workplace culture was sometimes hostile and the management didn’t help.

Pros

Caring for patients

Cons

Poor management, poor communication, unrealistic expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benefis Health System. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Benefis Health System Reviews by Location

• Benefis Health System
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?