Benefitfocus.com Employee Reviews

Fun at times but rather cutthroat management
Director, National Accounts (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 17, 2019
Decent place to work if you can handle getting back stabbed. Culture is ok but they claim it to be everything good about the company. New CEO has changed some of culture by bringing in new blood, many of whom worked with him previously.

You can make decent money in sales but rest of company, it depends on who you likes you. More process today to correct that but you do work hard for every penny you make.

Huge turnover in company since 2017 to 2019. Lots of leadership change to be aware of. Old CEO that started the company has been shelved (2017) and is not even mentioned anymore. Go look at their website.
Pros
If in HQ, they have some freebies, coffee
Cons
Horrible communication to employees about changes in personnel or company
If you are just looking for a paycheck please apply
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 3, 2019
BenefitFocus is a joke they hire bodies for the season pay is well but do not expect to say long, training is virtual and the OE is nuts, extremely high stress and call center drama, welcome to Tulsa. Upper management such as corporate's so called company culture is biased if you have ever done anything wrong in your background NO SECOND CHANCES. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Trainers are unprofessional and disorganized, call center drama, don't expect stay after open enrollment
Too Many Changes in Short Amount of Time
Technical Solutions Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 21, 2019
The company has a hard time placing the correct people in upper management roles, which leads to employees feeling unappreciated and taken advantage of. At any moment, upper management may feel the need for a reorg which means some associates are let go while others are "voluntold" what their new role will be. There is very little consistency. However, I do think our current CEO is taking the right steps to make the much-needed changes.
Too many detractors with too much pull on future of org
Miscellaneous (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 20, 2019
Need to stop listening to employees who complain all the time about having to do WORK. Then when you try to improve, they complain about that too. Nobody wants to get better or more efficient, just complain while enjoying perks that are unheard of in the workforce.
Culture is clique and immature behavior like high school.
Pros
Campus is nice
Cons
Benefits are expensive
Not a permenant position
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 11, 2019
Job was fairly simple, but there is a high turn over rate. Due mainly to they only hire for the insurance season, they do take some individuals for full time positions, but its mainly young females, especially those who graduated from College of Charleston!!! The one thing I didn't like was the way in which they use people and just get rid of them like they are nothing. They will work you all week and let you go on Friday right after you clock out. It made you feel like you were complete trash.
Pros
Co workers were great!
Cons
No job security, no advancement, no opportunities.
Do NOT take a contracted position
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 28, 2019
Do NOT take a contracted position here. It's basically working in a call center, regardless of the fancy spin that is put on the job description. And being a contractor at this company is degrading. You are held the standards of an associate, but offered none of the perks. Regardless of how well you perform, you are not able to be a "real" employee until six months has passed, and even then, the prospect is just dangled in front of you indefinitely. Until then, your salary is terrible, you get no benefits, no sick days and no PTO, regardless of the reason you have to miss work. The associates act like they are better than everyone, and it honestly feels like a cult, and you're not welcome until you've been converted. It is extremely difficult to get any sort of guidance or support in regards to career advancement. Above all, the pay is terrible, keep looking because there are better jobs out there. Those are just the basics. There is also a huge amount of disorganization, with no clear chain of command, and getting a straight answer out of someone is near impossible.
Every minute of your day is micromanaged and you are treated like you are in middle school. Word on the street is that being an actual associate is different, but I could not wait around until they deemed me worthy enough.
You can gain experience on a few different softwares, which looks good on a resume. Other than that, there are basically no pros and nothing enjoyable. The job itself is tedious, and degrading. If you are not doing mindless tasks, you are getting asked questions you are not provided answers
  more... to, or getting yelled at for things that are not your fault.
Unless you have two incomes and can be on someone else's insurance, this job is not worth the experience and/or the vague potential of getting hired on.
Pros
Free drinks, occasional free food, free tickets to stuff, nice campus
Try not to care about your job.
Renewal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 22, 2019
Benefitfocus is very fast paced, innovative and progressive in many aspects. There is a lot of upward mobility and career avenues, however the day to day employment can have negative impacts on your life.
- Benefitfocus promotes from within based on favoritism.
- it is a fire at will company i.e. employees are often asked to leave mid workday.
- the new time management system put in place is time consuming and not necessary.
- poor training.
Pros
free lunches, good benefit package
Cons
poor management, lack of preparation for new roles.
Great Manager cared about the employees
Insurance call center (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 1, 2019
I was in training for 6 weeks proceeded to the floor taking calls from members. I do not agree with the time table of training. Not enough time to learn all of the client specifics I was skilled in several clients which had different requirements . Corporate listened on your call which was beneficial most of the time. Every week was more stressful. It was a contract job with option for hire. However the company did not hire at the promised date. Out of my class of 27 only 2 were retained.
Pros
Had some perks on Friday afternoon
Cons
short breaks
Very confusing job
Benefits Administrator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 26, 2019
You have to search out every answer for every call. It is a very tedious job, I would never go back. The pay is okay but they take very long to actually hire you on.
Amazing Job
Customer Success Specialist-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 27, 2019
It was a relaxed atmosphere, you were not micromanaged. You could bring your dog to work, I wish it was not a temporary job but I would love to go back to work there.
great place. great people.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 26, 2019
BF is a great place. Good people and a mission I can appreciate and respect. modern work space. great culture. Lots of growth for the company as a whole, but not always a defined path for individual growth.
Good only for a few months
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 27, 2019
This was a temp to hire job. I actually did so well and advanced to not get let go like over 100 plus people did when the open enrollment season ended. They put me in a new project within the company, I thought this was a career advancement, so I was excited and hoping to get hired on. A few months passed by and the job got really bad but I still kept with it. They told me I would be hired on and then following the next two weeks they let me go all of a sudden. A lot of people in my department got let go as well. This is a good temporary job as it is not hard but it leads to a lot of lies and false promises. This is not a stable job, even if you do your best, it is never good enough. I can't see this business lasting very long.
Pros
Easy job, flexible time
Cons
temp job, Will let you go without warning
Benefitfocus
Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 16, 2019
Benefitfocus was a company. Was a fun place and when public so the direction of the company changed and focused on the stock price and not the client or employees as the main focus.
Not a good fit
Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 16, 2019
Not a good fit. Rules of engagement kept changing.The organization was trying to grow and position itself as the industry leader however they had made a number of missteps long the way.
Hard Work, Hard Reward
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 15, 2019
It was a tough job, cold companies about benefit software it difficult.

Very Rewarding. Good Compensation, Bad salary!

Management was indecisive with metrics constantly throughout evaluation process.
Fantastic Team Lead and some wonderful people that work there as permenant employees .
Customer Service Specialist ( Temporary Position ) (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 1, 2019
Horrible experience Training .
No organization -
No hands on learning of platform on live calls and you cannot prepare for your calls going through Power Points or Possibly Learn the system before you are thrown on the phones. It’s sink or swim. I like to know what I’m doing and understand what I am doing when I am talking to a customer .
Pros
Awesome Team Lead, Provided lunches and breakfast at times, super nice employees that work there .
Cons
Training, having to wait for Floor support for help with calls and just general disorganization !
Much more good than bad
Sales Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 10, 2018
Strong culture that's easy to like and feel comfortable in. Company has a mission that drives what we do and is easy to feel good about. Used to be that many departments were understaffed and over worked. Reputation of the company for a long time was that many people burn out. For the most part that has changed. Re-orgs under new leadership have resulted in work getting done in the right places by the right people at the right times. I work in Sales and have found that work-life balance is easy to maintain. Company tries hard to be casual and create a fun environment for associates, but almost tries too hard and sometimes it feels phony. Two biggest negatives I think are benefits are career pathing. Benefit programs are designed for a younger workforce. I'm closer to retirement and benefit-wise the company just doesn't have the right kinds of health and retirement offerings for me. Company likes to promote from within, but is very immature when it comes to having career development programs in place. Just not focused one helping associates grown and develop. You have to figure out how to do that on your own.
Pros
culture, mission, balance
Cons
benefits, career development
A brief stepping stone until you realize there is better right beside Benefitfocus
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 6, 2018
Benefitfocus has the right idea for the culture being driven by a balanced work and personal life. However unless you are going to be hired directly under Benefitfocus, they will toss you around wherever they want without any chance of discussion for pay increase, and then let you go without any notice. Do not recommend if you are hired through a recruiter.
Pros
Free coffee, break rooms. Golf carts.
Cons
Lack of management, Staffing agencies.
Not fun
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 26, 2018
Pay isn't great at all. Most advancement is made by who you know and not what you do. You are always expected to be willing and able to work when asked outside of normal hours. Company is all about profits, but not about the employees. Nobody enjoys working there.
benefitFocus
Customer Support Associate (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCSeptember 17, 2018
benefitFocus was a good contract job from 2 to 3 months. With a degree you can sign on permanently. It's a nice laid back job, but at the same time the clients can stress you out. They allow you to take as many break as you need to, but be mindful it's all calculated.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Contract