Benefitfocus.com Employee Reviews for Application Consultant

Do NOT take a contracted position
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 28, 2019
Do NOT take a contracted position here. It's basically working in a call center, regardless of the fancy spin that is put on the job description. And being a contractor at this company is degrading. You are held the standards of an associate, but offered none of the perks. Regardless of how well you perform, you are not able to be a "real" employee until six months has passed, and even then, the prospect is just dangled in front of you indefinitely. Until then, your salary is terrible, you get no benefits, no sick days and no PTO, regardless of the reason you have to miss work. The associates act like they are better than everyone, and it honestly feels like a cult, and you're not welcome until you've been converted. It is extremely difficult to get any sort of guidance or support in regards to career advancement. Above all, the pay is terrible, keep looking because there are better jobs out there. Those are just the basics. There is also a huge amount of disorganization, with no clear chain of command, and getting a straight answer out of someone is near impossible.
Every minute of your day is micromanaged and you are treated like you are in middle school. Word on the street is that being an actual associate is different, but I could not wait around until they deemed me worthy enough.
You can gain experience on a few different softwares, which looks good on a resume. Other than that, there are basically no pros and nothing enjoyable. The job itself is tedious, and degrading. If you are not doing mindless tasks, you are getting asked questions you are not provided answers
  more... to, or getting yelled at for things that are not your fault.
Unless you have two incomes and can be on someone else's insurance, this job is not worth the experience and/or the vague potential of getting hired on.
Pros
Free drinks, occasional free food, free tickets to stuff, nice campus
typical day at work
Application Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 5, 2017
The Culture team is always hosting something for the employee whether it is a massage team that come on site or treats. You don't have to leave for lunch. There are a variety of food trucks and caterers that come. The environment relies heavy on team work, which I love. But, if you are not eager to learn and be a part of a group setting, than I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
Great place if you're not in Employer Services
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2017
Most employees love working at Benefitfocus and they take good care of their workers. The culture is great and they are always having fun events for the employees. Plenty of room to advance if you are willing to work crazy hours. You will be rewarded with better pay and more hours. If you are in Employer Services, you will have a totally different experience then the one I just mentioned. Its a call center atmosphere and you are excluded from most company functions. The management is excessive in the sense that there are tons of "team leads" and not enough people doing the work. The people who critique your work are so far removed from it that they can't give you proper advice on how to handle work situations and protocol.
Pros
Cool work environmnet
Cons
Excruciating work load and hours
Fairly Positive
Application Consultant (Current Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCSeptember 20, 2016
I am really happy to have gotten the opportunity to work at this company. As it is with anywhere, there are drawbacks, but there are also positives.
Great place to work if you're weak minded and like being brainwashed
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 30, 2015
This place is the most overrated place to work in the Low Country. I worked as a contract employee with no benefits and very minimal pay. The management was very vague in your advancement possibilities. After 6 months of playing by all of their rules and incredible monthly "health score ratings" I was called by the staffing company and was told that my assignment had ended. No explanation by the amazing BenefitFocus. I was told a week before that next month I would become a permanent place employee.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Sweat Shop Like environment
A great place to work, great culture.
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 9, 2014
Provided ongoing support to clients by phone and email.

Prioritize daily tasks and make call goals.
Fast paced environment
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 18, 2013
I worked in a fast paced environment that provided customer service. I learned that patience is an integral part of this position, as some were not familiar with technology. The work environment was very positive and the management and coworkers were always available for added support.