Benefitfocus.com Employee Reviews

Not fun
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 26, 2018
Pay isn't great at all. Most advancement is made by who you know and not what you do. You are always expected to be willing and able to work when asked outside of normal hours. Company is all about profits, but not about the employees. Nobody enjoys working there.
benefitFocus
Customer Support Associate (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCSeptember 17, 2018
benefitFocus was a good contract job from 2 to 3 months. With a degree you can sign on permanently. It's a nice laid back job, but at the same time the clients can stress you out. They allow you to take as many break as you need to, but be mindful it's all calculated.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Contract
Entry level positions - poor management
Customer Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  UtahSeptember 10, 2018
I agree if this is your first job out of college then work for this company. Otherwise continue your search. Management doesn't like to be proven wrong and that was the reason I was let go. Lack of communication from management, lack of training and lack of team collaboration. Overall stay away from this company if you can. They will tell you what you want to hear to get you in the door.
Pros
Office location
Cons
Benefits and pay arent Competitive
Nice Perks but Understand It's All Temporary
Benefit Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2018
The company gives good training for the job they contract out for, and also perks such as free soft drinks and coffee, bringing your dog to work, discounts on local shopping, etc., and also pay you pretty fairly, but if you're contracted thru a temp agency such as Aerotek, you have to be warned--- it's all temporary. I was part of one of the groups of people the company has brought on in the past few years, the groups who you've probably heard the exact same thing from on this review board. Groups that the company brings in, trains, shows off all the cool perks from working there and then dodges around the question of when and if they will actually hire you on, then without warning bright and early on a Saturday or Sunday morning will call you and say , sorry you're done, nice having you though. So again, it's nice while it lasts, good pay , nice perks, reasonable hours...but again, understand it's all only temporary.
Pros
Decent pay and training
Cons
Temporary job with sudden layoffs
Great workplace and atmosphere, sad that its only temp
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 14, 2018
The typical day was come in and begin taking calls unless you had a client you had to train for. I learned a ton about the benefits for over 15 clients in the time that i was there. I had no problem with management and the workplace environment was great. You could ask anyone for help and they would help you the best to their ability. I enjoyed the Chat IMs because it helped when on calls and you could ask multiple people for assistance. The hardest part is familiarizing with scripts and each clients benefits plan and knowing how to work the system to find answers to what you need. I enjoyed the Starbucks coffee machine and all the free food!
Pros
Great people, free food and lots of learning capabilities
Cons
Temp
Nice people. Great career builder
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 2, 2018
Typical day is go to your desk and do your work. Management varies upon the person. Culture varies upon the departments. Driven on numbers but provides minimal training, but efforts seem to be made to improve this. Dogs at work are nice. It has good and bad like any other company. If you stick with it, there are tons of great opportunities for career building.
Ask A LOT of questions before accepting a position here!
Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 2, 2018
For a company that's been around as long as Benefitfocus has, I was shocked to see how poorly it was managed and that they behaved as if they're a brand new start up. Communication is terrible, and so much time is wasted on providing an overall company history, rather than job-specific training with competent colleagues who can really get you started on the right foot. I saw so many people who were overworked, while others skated by doing next to nothing and getting away with it because management is overworked as well, and too busy to notice. The Customer Success teams needs a lot of attention and it would be wise to restructure how things are done. I was amazed to see how many unnecessary positions there were throughout the company that could've/should've been combined with others - this company wastes so much money, it was hard to watch.
Pros
Occasional food provided, but nowhere near on par with other companies out there. Dogs permitted in the office was awsome.
Cons
Lack of training, way too many applications required for day to day, which also required separate passwords for all - get it together, people!
They care about their employees and clients
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 28, 2018
Every company will say they have a good culture but Benefitfocus actually does. It's nice to be at a company that actually cares about their employees and their customers.

Multiple times during training they even talked about how our technology impacts peoples lives and how important it is for us to work with empathy and compassion at all times.

They also brought in customers to talk to us about how their employee's benefit decisions has impacted them and their family.

Being able to choose the best benefits for yourself and family can be the difference of an unexpected health crisis being financially crippling or become a story of perseverance. We all care about peoples lives first.
Pros
great culture and leadership
Cons
Manditory training and certifications
young culture at firts
Technology Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 8, 2018
then everything changed when we went ipo.

they started laying off people for no reason and the whole culture changed.

some of the management had favoritism and prejudice.

I did learn that no matter what you gotta watch back with management because they wil stab you in the back just to save their own skin.
Fantastic Place to work!
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 1, 2018
As a young professional, Benefitfocus welcomed me with open arms. I was able to enhance my existing skills while learning other skills that have helped me develop my skill set and have lead me to enhance my career.
Ok for an entry level job
Customer Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 23, 2018
If this is your first job then it's ok but if your looking to make this a career I suggest that you get to know a lot of people and be ok with letting them know all about your personal life.
Pros
healthy snacks. beautiful area, ability to work from home
Cons
salary does not match the work, management does not communicate well
Great corporate culture.
Digital Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 21, 2018
Benefitfocus is a great place to work within Charleston. Although, I may work many weeks without a break and would work continuously for many months without some personal time off, this company is the best place to work for with phenomenal employees.
Room For Improvement
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 16, 2018
Company morale fluctuates but has been in a relative decline over the past few years. Lack of communication from senior management sows distrust among other employees. Resources are stretched thinner and thinner each year. Coworkers are the best part of the job and make it enjoyable to be here.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 6, 2018
Benefitfocus is a good place to work if you are looking at building your foundation and gaining experience in various jobs. While you can move up within the company certain positions that require higher advancement keep you stagnant, and leave you with a sense that you may never move up from where you are at.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Upper management does not consider those below them.
Good Benefits
Ecosystem Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 29, 2018
The organization is restructuring, leaving teams unclear of their responsibilities and how they should interact with other teams. No sense of ownership across teams.
Pros
Bring your dog to work
Cons
Lack of process
Fun, self-learning environment
Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 26, 2018
Benefitfocus is hands down the best place I have worked. Management could be stronger, however, they do their best to ensure their associates remain happy and tend to keep their best interests at heart.
Benefitfocus
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
I've worked here for 5 years and instead of improving in that time, the company has gotten worse and more mismanaged. They target straight out of college students so they can hire them for little to nothing and the new hires don't know any better.
Great Team Focus
Audit / Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 20, 2018
Associates work in well functioning teams. Working overtime is expected but not always compensated. Hiring process usually begins as temporary staff with a minimal percentage of being formally hired as an associate. Mostly very young associates with few employees over the age of 40. Great benefits and paid time off.
Customer Success Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 16, 2018
Going through a lot of organizational changes, but still a great place to work.

Con: Not enough associates, nor enough hours in the week to get the job done.
Strong for College Grads / Extremely High Turnover Rate.
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 4, 2018
Highly recommend the company's structure for college grads. However, I have experienced 6 associates resign due to the lack of pay and amount of work. The company is very positive and has outlined attractive "core values" that can create excitement and energy. Their treatment of employees can at times be hypocritical of their values.
Pros
Great structure / passionate CEO
Cons
High turnover rate / low pay / unwillingness to retain value