Benefitfocus.com Employee Reviews

Great place to be in Sales
Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2017
Great culture! Senior and regional leadership actively supportive in sales cycles and employee development. Tech works well, good business plan and solid mission + vision. Leadership in the HR US benefits space.
Pros
Very nice people and strong value proposition.
A good stepping stone
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 5, 2017
This company will get you into the IT industry but use it as a stepping stone. People are asked to make the impossible happen with no training and management only cares about itself.
okay for short period
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 26, 2017
you get beer on Fridays....that was bout the best part. call center is stressful. RUDE "members" on the phone horrible. no one really cares about anything other than drinking.
Great Company
Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCApril 23, 2017
Great company but growing quickly. Need better training. Many meetings and many conference calls. On the phone all day. Great culture, great perks. Recommend the company
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 11, 2017
Excellent place to work. Very good training and team leads and management are always there to help. It is a fun atmosphere but everyone still works hard.
Atmosphere Great
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  N Charleston, SCApril 9, 2017
The atmosphere was laid back. For the most part the people that you worked for was okay but forgot that they also started out on the phones. Owner really cool to work with and for. It was just the people who allowed power to go to there heads. Made working with them pretty hard at times.
Worst Company I've Ever Worked For
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 14, 2017
Do not apply to this company!! They used to be a great place to work and were one of the best, but now they are nothing more than what corporate America has become. These managers don't care about you as a person. All they care about is getting their results. They treat rhe customers like royalty and the employees like dogs. Was wrongfully terminated after being harassed by women managers for months just because I wasn't part of their clique. I asked for things in writing and they refused. No chance of advancement unless you're friends with the hiring manager. All of this experience is from their service center; they have people working for them that literally do nothing all day so they make up job titles for them so it seems like they're actually doing something. People get promoted by favoritism and they get around it by saying the person didn't get a raise or job title change. Worst experience of my life. Wish I could go back and tell myself what I know now. I can't even get a new job because they've completely destroyed my character. Banned me from company property and fired me over an email. Sorry excuses for people and a company. I was one of their top performers so they're the ones who really lost out.
Pros
Free lunches during OE, free coffee/tea
Cons
Short breaks, not treated like a person, no chance of promotion or advancement
fun place to workbut managerss there do not like to be proven wrong and will go after your job if u disagree with them
Customer Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 26, 2017
Customer Success Associate
• Performed a 3rd party technical and navigational assistance service
• Dealt with individual and administrative accounts.
• Dealt with high tension, high priority, benefit situations
Pros
provided a good amount fo free food
Cons
short breaks, would give me a mark against me for logging into my laptop even a single minute late
They let you drink on Fridays at 4!
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 2, 2017
I loved the culture at BenefitFocus, which is what the company boasts most. Your dog is allowed at work, and people are generally very kind. I did think there were sometimes issues with communication, but my experience at this company was mostly good.

As a contractor, I knew that opportunities to move up at this job were limited, but I didn't find out until 5 into the job, that we weren't going to even be considered to be taken on as associates until April or later.
Great place if you're not in Employer Services
Application Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2017
Most employees love working at Benefitfocus and they take good care of their workers. The culture is great and they are always having fun events for the employees. Plenty of room to advance if you are willing to work crazy hours. You will be rewarded with better pay and more hours. If you are in Employer Services, you will have a totally different experience then the one I just mentioned. Its a call center atmosphere and you are excluded from most company functions. The management is excessive in the sense that there are tons of "team leads" and not enough people doing the work. The people who critique your work are so far removed from it that they can't give you proper advice on how to handle work situations and protocol.
Pros
Cool work environmnet
Cons
Excruciating work load and hours
Productive Fun Environment
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 15, 2016
Benefit Focus was a great, fun, environment to work with but the way they went about some things wasn't neccessarly fair. I enjoyed working a temp job with them for a couple months.
Run far away!
Benefit administration specialists (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 9, 2016
Don't believe the hype! This company couldn't care less about their employees. Low pay, managers who don't care, and fake "culture ". Don't bother applying there, are better jobs out there!
Pros
Free lunch during OE
Cons
Low pay, treated like children, many people were terminated without warning
They do not care about employees
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCDecember 8, 2016
Do not work for them. You are/will be disposable. Lots of free food, but no love. The turn over is huge, no one stays long. That is because the so called "management" does not care a thing about your life or circumstances.
It's best job I've had so far
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I love this job but I hate that it took them hiring on a bunch of temp workers and then letting them go with no notice in order for me to be one of the last people standing for a position. That's really my only qualm. The job comes with great benefits and is a great work environment between the culture and the job itself.
Good during OE
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 19, 2016
Good job during OE and they give you a lot of hope for advancement but it's rarely done. They let you go with no notice and does not take in to consideration that it's the holiday season.
Pros
Free lunches and can drink alcohol on Fridays
Cons
Laid off without notice
Great corporate culture, terrible work/life balance
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 14, 2016
Company growth in business requires increase in staff. There is a disconnect in evaluating staffing needs. The result is good employees who are willing to go the extra mile being routinely burned out and replaced.
Pros
Corporate culture
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Productive and laid back place to work, Just a stepping stone, don't expect anything more
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 12, 2016
Training is descent. You're provided the basics to perform on the floor. After your first days you could take calls in your sleep. Typical day, Arrive early ready to take calls. Served lunch and snacks almost everyday. Great work environment. peaceful atmosphere. Team activities to make the place fun. Was lead on by temp agency there was a high possibility of getting hired on to find out " call volume is lower than projected" eligible for rehire in the spring
Pros
During OE lunch was always provided, encourage overtime. Peaceful work atmosphere, Stress free, Simple as Pie
Cons
Let go without notice, Was told we would return, to get a call the following SATURDAY to pick up your belongings
Best atmosphere
Benefit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 9, 2016
Great place to work had a lot of fun. Too bad it was only contract work. Laid back environment. Lots of training and availability for promotions. Great people and great environment.
Pros
Free lunches, Starbucks in the break room, basketball hoop.
Cons
No health care, contract work
Very nice environment
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 6, 2016
The training classes are helpful. Most of the client groups are nice. The pay could be higher and job security would be nice to have. Very nice company offered good benefits when and if your hired permanently. Overtime is always offered when available. Your encouraged to do well, and your given coaching when your performance needs to improve. Over all it is a decent place to work. The position needs to start at a higher salary base. Also keep most of the temps under contact if the perform well. Rhe more experience the better i feel. This may say a lot more money, rather than having so many training classes for new contract employee's.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
No job security
Get ready to be abused.
Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Daniels Island, SCOctober 24, 2016
Company had multiple salaried resources working 80-95 hour weeks regularly to meet goals and would send out emails for mandatory weekend overtime. The facilities were beautiful, with neat perks like very modern working areas, bikes to travel around campus, etc. However there is absolutely no consideration for work/life balance.
Pros
Nice facilities
Cons
Abusive overworking of employees