Berea College Employee Reviews

Stressful, always on call, with unclear supervision
Student Life Team Member (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYSeptember 18, 2018
When I came to Berea I was excited, but I think I was overly enticed by the competitive salary and overall environment at the school. I was never provided with a clear direction for my work, and was criticized for missing deadlines that were not provided. Berea is a great college, but I would never recommend applying to the department in which I worked.
Pros
Free housing
Cons
Demanding schedule, lack of training.
Work college that builds character
Ceramic Apprenticeship Program (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJuly 20, 2018
Berea College offers the labor program as a means of offering financial aid to students as a labor grant. The labor program gave me the chance to attend and graduate college with no debt whatsoever which is incredible to me.

The workplace is diverse with many departments to work in all across campus; I was part of the Student Crafts department and Child and Family Studies Education. Both jobs provided a culture of autonomy to my class schedule by having me draft out my work schedule. This taught me initiative and how to facilitate proper responsibility for my personal accountability.

I enjoyed working in Berea. Having independence and choosing my work hours granted me substantial control over my productivity as both a student and an employee.
Pros
Room for growth, easy management, variety of job sectors
Cons
Temporary, limited hours, college program
Learning Experience
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 26, 2018
Great learning experience for the students at the school. Each student is taught their job characteristics based on their own needs and goals for the job.
Great place to learn
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 22, 2018
It good place to start if you are student who has never had a job experience.

I worked as a TA and the professors are so helpful. I definitely recommend it.
Supportive workplace
Design and implement peer tutor training (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 17, 2018
The school has an excellent mission carried out collaboratively with opportunities for continuous learning. Overall, the staff and teachers are helpful and kind.
Pros
generous vacation days
Cons
requires more than forty hours per week
Fun and open
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 14, 2018
The atmosphere at Berea college is very supportive. What I like the most is the fact that it's highly flexible. I thoroughly enjoyed working here. this job enhanced my resume
It’s a good place to work
Project Director (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 9, 2018
Berea College is a fine place to work. They do wish to promote from within if possible and cultivate their employees whenever possible. The college likes to celebrate work well down.
Why Berea
Berea College Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 28, 2018
I'm a Berea College Alumni. If you are interested in working for the college, just read up on the mission itself! The faculty and staff are extremely caring and interactive. You will genuinely feel that you are making a difference in the lives of others while working here.
Pros
Cultural Diversity, Challenge, Co-Workers
Cons
Weather
Stressful environment where much is expected without great compensation
Skilled Waever (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 29, 2018
Berea gives great opportunities to learn, but can be very stressful. The management is generally easy to work for/with, and is certainly a team-based environment.
Fun and relaxed
IT Support Technician Tier 1 (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 21, 2018
Open work spaces with plenty of work to be done. Although the student populace was less than understanding/caring for and about their machines, fixing and repairing them was never a difficult task.
Janitor
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 15, 2018
Supervised students, moped floors, decent part time job to not starve when you are looking for something else, planning the next step, or are semi retired
Pros
pay, co workers
Cons
part time
great place
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 6, 2018
Berea College is a great place to work at as a student. There you can be taught many life-changing skills that could help to make a big difference after graduation.
Berea is a great place to work
Tutor students in math and reading (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Berea College has many opportunities for employment. They are all the time getting grants. My job was through Partners for Education. As anyone knows, grant work isn’t a secure job, but it can be so rewarding. You know you have a wonderful job when you don’t dread going to work everyday. But my grant ended and so did my position with Berea. If I ever have an opportunity to work with Berea College again, I will try my best to get hired!
Work School
Admissions Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 30, 2018
Working in the admissions office is probably the best place you can land when you get admitted to Berea College. It is fast past some days, slow others. You get to give tours and wear uniforms and interact with people who know and love Berea. You also get inside information on the school and the direction it is heading to.
Great Professional Experience
Student Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 26, 2018
Berea College is a great place to work, especially for young professionals starting off their career. I have gained a lot of professional development that has allowed me to excel in my field.
Berea Review
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 16, 2018
Working for the different positions at Berea College pushed to work harder and smarter. They also gave me a better work ethic not just for the job itself but also in me.
No place on Earth like BC
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, KYDecember 31, 2017
I love BC! I did not want to leave. Everyone is loved and accepted there. Diverse and open minded. I felt like I was at home there and hope to go back one day.
Pros
Everyone welcome
Cons
you will not want to leave
productive place to work and very worth while
Community Literacy Navigator (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYDecember 26, 2017
I received back more from my work than I could have ever given. I met the most giving people with real stories to tell about their life experiences. The workplace culture was very positive and teamwork was very important. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families in the community.
Pros
The work environment
Cons
It is on a grant which is temporary
Only worked there because i was a student. Hated it.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 3, 2017
I really hated working here but the managers dont do anything so its not that bad. Was only getting on average 10-12 hours a week. Didn't pay well at all either.
Family Friendly Department
Budget Analyst - Job Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 6, 2017
Working in a fast paced deadline driven grant writing department within an tuition free liberal arts college. The missions are personally a perfect match for me.
Pros
Awesome Work Family
Cons
Compensation is low