Berea College Employee Reviews

Good Pay/Lots of Meetings
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 23, 2018
Good opportunity especially for our area. Health insurance is very expensive. Taxes for state, city, and benefits really cut into my salary. The positions are grant funded so there is not a lot of job security. The pay for the positions is very good for our area. I enjoyed working with students and their families very much. They tended to meet more than they should and require more meetings in Berea when the majority of the workers were in Eastern KY. They did not like using technology to have meetings such as GotoMeeting or SkYPE. Paid monthly very hard to budget being paid once a month. The mission of providing education to Appalachia is admirable.
Work college that builds character
Ceramic Apprenticeship Program (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJuly 20, 2018
Berea College offers the labor program as a means of offering financial aid to students as a labor grant. The labor program gave me the chance to attend and graduate college with no debt whatsoever which is incredible to me.

The workplace is diverse with many departments to work in all across campus; I was part of the Student Crafts department and Child and Family Studies Education. Both jobs provided a culture of autonomy to my class schedule by having me draft out my work schedule. This taught me initiative and how to facilitate proper responsibility for my personal accountability.

I enjoyed working in Berea. Having independence and choosing my work hours granted me substantial control over my productivity as both a student and an employee.
Pros
Room for growth, easy management, variety of job sectors
Cons
Temporary, limited hours, college program
Stressful, always on call, with unclear supervision
Student Life Team Member (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYSeptember 18, 2018
When I came to Berea I was excited, but I think I was overly enticed by the competitive salary and overall environment at the school. I was never provided with a clear direction for my work, and was criticized for missing deadlines that were not provided. Berea is a great college, but I would never recommend applying to the department in which I worked.
Pros
Free housing
Cons
Demanding schedule, lack of training.
Student work can be stressful, but rewarding
Wellness Associate for Thrive (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 18, 2018
As a student at the college, one typically works between 10 and 20 hours a week, which is mandatory. The managers are always understanding in my experience, as they are working with a rather unique population. Having a job as a student is mandatory, so they do their best to make the balance of school and work as comfortable as possible. This is not at all a typical environment, as far as student work goes.
Pros
Understanding and caring management
Cons
Student-Worker
Has a very fun and supportive team
Student Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 18, 2018
Has a very fun and supportive team. It has a very relaxed and quite working sphere where one can do their job in an efficient way. The team is always available for any help needed.
Stressful environment where much is expected without great compensation
Skilled Waever (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 29, 2018
Berea gives great opportunities to learn, but can be very stressful. The management is generally easy to work for/with, and is certainly a team-based environment.
Learning Experience
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 26, 2018
Great learning experience for the students at the school. Each student is taught their job characteristics based on their own needs and goals for the job.
productive place to work and very worth while
Community Literacy Navigator (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYDecember 26, 2017
I received back more from my work than I could have ever given. I met the most giving people with real stories to tell about their life experiences. The workplace culture was very positive and teamwork was very important. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families in the community.
Pros
The work environment
Cons
It is on a grant which is temporary
Supportive workplace
Design and implement peer tutor training (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 17, 2018
The school has an excellent mission carried out collaboratively with opportunities for continuous learning. Overall, the staff and teachers are helpful and kind.
Pros
generous vacation days
Cons
requires more than forty hours per week
Why Berea
Berea College Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 28, 2018
I'm a Berea College Alumni. If you are interested in working for the college, just read up on the mission itself! The faculty and staff are extremely caring and interactive. You will genuinely feel that you are making a difference in the lives of others while working here.
Pros
Cultural Diversity, Challenge, Co-Workers
Cons
Weather
Great Professional Experience
Student Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 26, 2018
Berea College is a great place to work, especially for young professionals starting off their career. I have gained a lot of professional development that has allowed me to excel in my field.
Fun and open
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 14, 2018
The atmosphere at Berea college is very supportive. What I like the most is the fact that it's highly flexible. I thoroughly enjoyed working here. this job enhanced my resume
Great place to learn
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 22, 2018
It good place to start if you are student who has never had a job experience.

I worked as a TA and the professors are so helpful. I definitely recommend it.
It’s a good place to work
Project Director (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 9, 2018
Berea College is a fine place to work. They do wish to promote from within if possible and cultivate their employees whenever possible. The college likes to celebrate work well down.
Productive always everyday at work
Assistant Womens Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 3, 2012
I love my job and want to be the best at it. My job was at first a chance at first, but they welcomed me from day one and now I am living my career out and my co- workers make everything family like. Management is willing to help and is very patient with me in my first year working. The only hard part was at first transitioning from a student to a full time worker at the College, but now Im adjusted really well.
Pros
love my job and have a real passion for it
Cons
always want to get in a bigger program
Berea is a great place to work
Tutor students in math and reading (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Berea College has many opportunities for employment. They are all the time getting grants. My job was through Partners for Education. As anyone knows, grant work isn’t a secure job, but it can be so rewarding. You know you have a wonderful job when you don’t dread going to work everyday. But my grant ended and so did my position with Berea. If I ever have an opportunity to work with Berea College again, I will try my best to get hired!
Berea Review
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 16, 2018
Working for the different positions at Berea College pushed to work harder and smarter. They also gave me a better work ethic not just for the job itself but also in me.
College style working enviorment
Grounds Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 27, 2017
You work the hours needed to be enrolled at the college. That being said, the hours are flexible, your supervisors are understanding, and everyone else is in the same boat. the pay is low, but the rest is going towards your degree, so no complaints. As for benefits, well its part time really so none expected. Finding the job you want here can be difficult, and some are better than others, but in the long run it all works itself out.
Institution with high aims
Student Affairs Professional (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYSeptember 7, 2014
-institution committed to providing education to students of limited resources (great mission)
-able to take on new tasks/projects to expand your experience and advance your skills
Pros
mission centered, committed service to students, great place to get experience
Cons
expensive health care, small town, nepotism, no room for advancement, salary ranges
Family Friendly Department
Budget Analyst - Job Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 6, 2017
Working in a fast paced deadline driven grant writing department within an tuition free liberal arts college. The missions are personally a perfect match for me.
Pros
Awesome Work Family
Cons
Compensation is low