Bergner's Employee Reviews

Look elsewhere for employment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 11, 2018
Management is a joke here and has been for a long time. There is absolutely no training for new associates. The only good thing about working at this place is the associate discount. Working in a commission department is the only way you’ll ever make more than minimum wage here
Pros
Discount
Cons
Way to many to list
very low annual pay increases, stressful, too few employees to complete job tasks properly
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 18, 2018
The job is very stressful. There is not enough employees to complete tasks properly and, or on time.
I learned customer service, merchandising, how to set sales, how to manage a department, markdowns, ticketing, damages, cash office...
The hardest part of the job for me was leaving when my work wasn't finished.
Learning new tasks and skills, growing.
Pros
Experience
Cons
very small annual pay incereases, to few employees
The best store left in town
Clinique Accredited Master Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington,ILMarch 8, 2018
I loved working there in the 80's, but it has gone downhill recently. Retail is struggling and they cut services and employees to the point where it feels more like a self service store. I wouldn't work there now, but it's the only place I shop.
good place to work
Visual Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILMarch 2, 2018
Bergner's does a good of working with your schedule needs.
They don't have a lot of staff these days so expect to be busy.
It's a good work environment.
Raises are minimal. They have good medical and dental insurance benefits at a reasonable price but only if you are full time. They
have 401k after a year I believe for full time people company contributes about 15% up to a certain % contributed. Vacation time for full time employees 1 week after 6 months, 2 weeks after 1 year. Stays at 2 weeks for like 5 years.
Pros
benefits for full time employees
Cons
small raises, not enough help
fun place to work at
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 1, 2018
great place to work at
don't give many hours right now
I get to work all over the store instead of one area
the management is well
a typical day at work would be clock on, do the job that is given, and work hard
Pros
professional place to work
Cons
not long enough lunches
Working with the public each day was quite interesting.
Part-time Sales and Stock Handler (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILFebruary 19, 2018
A variety of duties included assisting with incoming and outgoing shipments of merchandise and store supplies, setting up and tearing down displays, facilitating customer purchases and returns, aiding the store's lost prevention staff with asset protection, and providing excellent service to customers and business associates.
Pros
Meeting and assisting the public with their purchases.
Cons
None.
Overall, a good experience
Lancôme Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Great place to work. Everyone in our department gets along well. Working with the customers to solve problems and make them feel beautiful is a pleasure. The free makeup from Lancome is especially nice. Long hours on your feet is tough. A weekly schedule that is never the same is a pain, especially when you are trying to schedule appointments. Starting pay for this position is low for the amount of time you spend learning the product line, the effort that goes into it, and the late night hours. Despite the drawbacks, I love the store, people, and many parts of the job. Unfortunately, the store is closing.
Pros
Great people
Great Place
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 4, 2018
I met some many great people during my time of working there. I loved the discount, even though I thought it could be more. I enjoyed the fact I was really able to help others.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Nice coworkers but I never received training for anything.
Recovery (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 29, 2018
I just organized clothes and cleaned out dressing rooms. The nice part was helping customers find items. The job was mostly boing and I usually finished my tasks within an hour or two so the rest of my shift was just fixing up other areas of the store. The managers where very nice but they were very busy so they never trained me, I only learned where things were in my department and how to clock in and out. I never learned how to pick up shifts or how to switch shifts. Overall the job was fine but it was not for me.
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 23, 2018
I really enjoyed working there. The atmosphere was awesome the people were great. It was a laid back atmosphere most of the time. There were times when it got hectic when there were sales.
Was a okay job
Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 22, 2018
When I got hours I would love working here. I got to check out the new styles and purses and makeup I loved that and I got a great discount which is always nice.
Sometimes you get good managers but a lot of times you don't You are often pushed and bossed around and there is a lot of stress and disorganization.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILJanuary 21, 2018
A typical day at work would be dealing with customers and your managers. I learned that I needed to improvise if I didn't know where to put things. The managers are a hit and miss. Sometimes you had ones that were understanding and willing to show you how to do things, other times not. The workplace culture was probably the best thing. Although it got stressful, I often liked talking to customers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was probably not doing something right and getting yelled at. Or dealing with rude customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was pleasing and making my customers happy.
pretty standard retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJanuary 3, 2018
The usually day at work in retail manning the register and helping customers check out or helping them find what they are looking for and keeping the sales floor and dressing room clean and organized by folding, also restocking and get returned items back on the racks for the next customer
Pros
it kept u busy when you knew what had to be done
Cons
it could get redundant
Bottom of the barrel
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILDecember 6, 2017
I was originally hired for a seasonal position but then got hired on after the holidays were over. During the holidays, hours are great, pay is great. A Sales Associate most basic activities are running cash register, clean dressing rooms and assisting customers. After the holidays, i got 10 hours at most per week. I constantly have to ask for more hours, since they’ll give it to me for about 2 weeks and stop. At times they’ll expected to be flooded with customers at certain events (goodwill sale, community days sale etc) and have 5 people in one single department, which gets highly annoying since you’re getting into each other’s way constantly with no customers around. It’s not surprising to have a 4 hour work week, it’s surpirsingly common. The training is god awful, nobody is willing to show you how things are done. If you ask management, they’ll act as if you’re the stupidest person in the world for not knowing anything. They realllyyyyy push credits, and at times have unrealistic goals. Most customers that shop there already have cards or are just buying some basic things. They look down on you if you don’t get any credits. Calling in sick is also a problem, they’ll excuse your absence, but they’ll look down on you for that. Scheduling becomes a conflict also. If you can’t make it to work on Saturday afternoons, they’ll pretend to be okay with that, but then they’ll schedule you for Saturday afternoons on “big days.” Most of the time, my work schedule and personal life clashed together. I’ve had to miss a lot of events just to clock into work. One big problem is management,  more... they aren’t very friendly or understanding to situations that may arise. If management was more friendly / understanding, their turnover rate wouldn’t be so high. There is only 2 people on the management team I genuinely enjoy working with, that’s it. Overall, basic job with unrealistic goals at times. Management is very unreasonable / unlikeable, but some may get past that. My favorite part about the job though is the discount. You get an immediate 20% discount on MOST things in the store, 25% after a year. It can be combined with most coupons, so it totals in spectacular savings. At times, they’ll up the discount to 35% for everybody for about 3 days. It’s great to get some shopping done. Also, some of your coworkers become family. The coworkers are some of the nicest, most caring people I have ever met. They’re very easy to get along with. Overall, Don’t get a job here unless you already have a stable job and are looking for a 2nd job, a high school student with a basic high school schedule or are absolutely desperate for a job.  less
Pros
Decent discount, reasonable breaks, coworkers become family, SOME understanding management
Cons
Rest of management is terrible, sometimes pay is not worth the work, constantly treated badly by staff, looked down for calling in sick, basically everything else
fun place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 6, 2017
I enjoy working as a sales associate at Bergners because I enjoy interacting with the customers. It makes my day when I am able to help them with their purchases and provide them exceptional customer satisfaction.
Pros
Associate Discounts
Cons
on your feet all day
Snitches
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 30, 2017
People are going to snitch and tell you on for the little things. Lack of communication. Management is poor. People are very lazy and don't do their job.
Cons
Stressful fast-paced work place.
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 8, 2017
Fast paced work always moving. On your feet for hours with short breaks. Horrible management. Nice coworkers but very stressful and dramatic. Most enjoyable part is getting a discount on products.
Pros
Sometimes free fod
Cons
Terrible Assistant Store Manager
Intense work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 26, 2017
A very face-paced job on busy days. As an employee I'd often have to take on multiple people's responsibilities as we were often under-staffed. Overall, however, it was a decent starter job. I don't see myself making a career here, but it was a pleasant enough workplace and the management was decent as well.
Depends on management
Estee Lauder Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 23, 2017
Working in cosmetics is great and fun, but the sales goals are unrealistic most of the time and the store managers only care about sales. It's your typical retail cosmetics job, so don't expect to be doing makeup all the time because the majority of the job is selling
Decent place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Falls, ILOctober 18, 2017
Decent place to work, stocked merchandise from the delivery truck. Early morning shift. Put tags on clothes, and dispersed them into their designated department areas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bergner's. Our community is ready to answer.