Berkshire Communities Employee Reviews

Good culture to work in.
Vice President of Financial Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 16, 2018
Worked for Berkshire for 30 years. I was given many departments to start and run. Achieved very good results. Received a lot of support from all key employees. Great place to work but company restructuring and my personal desire to try something new is why i left this company.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Need to improve overall communication
Berkshire is an amazing company full of caring people!
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 15, 2018
I am so fortunate to work for a company with such thoughtful, smart, and hard-working people. The focus on positivity and growth is something I have never experienced anywhere else!
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Amazing People, Training
Loved the culture but not the property manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2018
The company overall is a great company to work for. However, the manager I worked for was cut throat, vindictive and back stabbing. Other than that, I loved my team and residents. The property was older but we had long term residents.
Wonderful Place
Assistant Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 19, 2018
Berkshire is a great place to work, wonderful work environment. Staff is a great group of people. Most enjoyable part is working for the community and assisting the residents with their needs.
very good company
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 1, 2018
I have only good things to talk about this company i growth in this company in every single way, I learn good things about it the only thing was that we got sold to another company
Great Group
Facilities Supervisor Multi Site (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 30, 2017
Expanding company with a great future in the Boston Market
Highly recommend looking for work as outings and appreciation is common and helpful in creating the right attitudes.
Pros
Team
Cons
Salary advancement
Hardest Part of my Job
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 24, 2017
The hardest part about this job is handling conflict from Residents and disrespect from residents due to situations that are out of your control. Beyond that everything was smooth sailing although working weekends is something I never want to have to do again.
Pros
meet new people, good benefits, great company
Cons
little to no staff interaction
Good company!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2017
Workplace culture is awesome! I became friends with many people and stayed friends with them after I left the company, which is rare for me. I learned what kind of manager I want to be, and I enjoyed learning how to lead a team.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Out of date required wardrobe attired
Perfect Work/Life Balance, Valued
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
With Berkshire, you were always given opportunities to improve yourself; there was always someone who motivated you in reasonable ways. Advancement was hard as there were not a lot of properties available and those whom did work at the level you were looking to promote to were so happy, it took a long time for a position to open.
Berkshire Vet
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2017
I've been a loyal employee to Berkshire for five years and have expressed my interest to grow with to company and have experienced that everyone is for themselves and unless they really like you that's not going to happen. In addition, I went to the extent of transferring with Berkshire where I was told there would be more opportunity was not offered any assistance with my moving cost when I know for a fact other employees were offered assistance. There are so many other things I can say but I am going to stop here.
Pros
great training program
Cons
Not enough diversity as far as the property managers
MARKETING & SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 7, 2017
Lots of opportunities. Great place to work, was able to relocate to another state with the company within 6 months. They appreciate their employees and show it
The worst company I've ever worked for.
Assistant Property Manager/Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 30, 2017
Micromanagement
Bad leadership
micromanagement, micromanagement, micromanagement.

Very hard to advance.

Going from a Leasing Associate to an Assistant Manager, I could actually do LESS. I couldn't even finish a lease until my manager looked at it (which, they took forever for EVERYTHING). Reason being: "In case an associate decides to go 'rogue' with the lease"

Clearly, they do not trust their people, thus creating a suffocating environment.

I was there for a short time, and a better job fell into my lap.
Pros
Not Applicable
Cons
Where to begin...
Fun place to work
Marketing & Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2017
I had one of the best bosses here. She was the first boss I had since getting out of the Army that was willing to get their hands dirty. The job culture was good in the sense that it made the job feel less like a job and more like being with family and just doing what needed to be done for the day.
Great company
Resident Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MD 21234June 19, 2017
I was very saddened to leave this company. I was very happy there and disheartened to see them sell off the properties. I wish they would buy more in this area to hopefully be employed with them once again.
Not enough training for new program with the support to back it up
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 14, 2017
Do too many tasks by trial and error. Not enough direction given by superiors.
When something was wrong with computer's all though it was admin error not system and would let it go for weeks before someone would listen.
Pros
Good pay and was not micro managed
Cons
Supervisor did not have time to direct or listen.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 30, 2017
Family oriented company that puts its employees 1st. So much room for advancement. Properties all across the us, so your able to work anywhere in the us
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Berkshire. I was with them for Fourteen years. Started as a maintenance tech and worked up to maintenance supervisor. Over all a really good company
Great
LEASING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 4, 2017
Great benefits, great workplace culture, and life/work balance. It is easy to contact upper management for any help or advice. Management could use some work for job advancements.
Very promising company
Maintenence Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 29, 2017
Company only has 3 properties in austin which limits advancement but they are looking to expand. Best medical benefits I've seen since leaving military. Good overall company.
Great Company
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 31, 2017
Wonderful company very well organized and gives employees realistic goals. No 2 days were ever the same. The benefits were above average.The support from upper management was excellent. As a whole this was one of the best companies I ever worked for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berkshire Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about