Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
real estate
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILJune 6, 2018
Buying and selling real estate. A lot of cold calling. No firm sales to work from. Good people to work for fun place to work and had fun times met good people there too.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
income
Dont expect to chit chat while at work station, that happens in the break room
Medical Provider Network Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 6, 2018
Go to work station and start working, go get coffee after review of email. Come back start working.

I learned you must do small talk and be a brown noser.
Management was available, but often hard to understand agenda they had for my position.

Hardest part was sitting in a cubicle

Enjoyable part was being on the party planning committee
Strict management
Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 14, 2018
If you're a talented programmer, look elsewhere. They have hired an architect that will simply take credit for your work. There is no thinking outside the box: they define the box and you better stay within it!
Cons
Very strict management
Wonderful CEO and culture
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  OmahaApril 16, 2018
Great culture and management
They treat employees with respect
Work tends to get boring
Regional offices are siloed
Lack of upward movement opportunities
Underwriting Associate
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 11, 2018
Great place to work. Great people and great work load for all employees. Would recommend that anyone who likes insurance should give it a shot and see where it goes.
Pros
people
Cons
people
Working at BHHC is Ok
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 28, 2018
Recommended for those looking for a career path in the insurance industry. This is a fairly good place to work, however career advancement track expectations are unreasonably high.
Talented People, Great Boss
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I was a contractor hired to write documentation for a proprietary claims management application. Everyone I worked with in the Business Systems group knew their stuff, especially my Boss, who was a supportive manager and a subject matter expert of the highest order. She made it easy to do my job. I was sad to leave when the project ended. Great place to work.
Its a name, thats about it
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 26, 2018
Its a insurance corporate name that looks good on resumes. Fast pace. Low paid and over worked insurance professionals.

Advice to management - invest in your long tenure employees that made you a Work Comp giant.in the insurance industry
Great company to work for, TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 25, 2018
BHHC is really a great company to work for that care about their employees. However it's only the company that cares, not the management. Management gossips quite frequently, they show clearly they do not care about their employees. Management has 0 communication they change things and don't tell you then you get written up for it. BHHC turnover rate it getting higher 90% due to management.

Pay for certain positions is at least $3-6 less an hour compared to other companies in the metro area.
Pros
Company spoils their employees, and some what listens to your concerns.
Cons
Very poor management, low salary, not competitive, no communication
Great job for part-timers
Real Estate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, TXJanuary 18, 2018
I took this job not knowing that I would be really interested in the real estate life. I intended to take the job for some extra spending money; but stayed for a few years because of the relaxed atmosphere.
Cut throat. Fast pace with no real training
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJanuary 8, 2018
Worked at the Horsham, Pa office for 6 weeks. The new manager did not like me....racist. He found every opportunity to sabotage my position. The person training me and my manager was working as a team to get me fired. Worse experience ever. If you are not in with the crowd they will fire you.
Pros
Cons
Cut throat
don't have
Underwriting support and data entry (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2017
BHHC is good company, i like this company, and bhhc coworker is very nice.day work is perfect.mostly work in bhhc is happy.
only so sad i get layoff actually i still like work in bhhc.
the management bhhc is very good.
Pros
one a years
Cons
not much
Good leaders, good work/life balance
Underwriter - Workers' Compensation (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2017
BHHC is a fine place to work. The people are nice, the work is not complicated and it's one of the best insurance carriers in its respective market. If you want to work for an insurance carrier, a Berkshire Hathaway Company is a great place to establish yourself.
Pros
Good leadership, flexible schedule
Great Place to start your career
Document Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2017
It is truly a great place to work. Everyone is so supportive of each other, and you will learn a lot. They provide training and you will get a lot of opportunity to move up the ladder if you want to grow in the insurance industry.
Dont think you are going to goof off
MPN Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 11, 2017
Depends on the task at hand. My department was brand new and in experimental stages.
Hardest part was to do boring tasks for 8 hours.
Enjoyable part being creative.
Learned, There will always be backstabbing.
Management pro active sometines hard to pin down
Fun, Growing and Willing To Train
Senior Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 2, 2017
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies provides excellent training and equips their marketing staff better than most companies. They have a reasonable atmosphere meaning they set achievable goals and allow you to be as independent as you like. Great place to start out for new college grads.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Training, Plenty of Support
Cons
Limited Offerings (Auto, Property and Umbrella). Not in all states.
Great career starter
Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2017
This is a great place to start a career as the training is fantastic. The workload takes some time to get used to but the teams are great. I would encourage recent grads to pursue BHHC for a job.
Great co-workers
Senior Loss Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 5, 2017
One of California’s largest Workers' Compensation insurance providers. Industries serviced include both construction and general industry.

The company has great pay and benefits. However, a common complaint I frequently heard pertained to work/life balance.
Dog eat dog type of work environment
Medical Resource Nurse & Facilitator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 28, 2017
Everyone is out for themselves, not much support or opportunity for advancement. Managers appear to have forgotten what it was like when they first started as bedside nurses.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
too many
Fast Paced Environment
Claims Professional (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2017
The fast paced environment helped prepare me for any future employment opportunity. This job helped me gain business skills that I had not possessed before working for the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight