Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies Employee Reviews

Remote work with very flexible schedule
Loss control provides support to customers with remote salaried positions, provided computers, reimbursed internet fees and company car. Flexible schedule with minimal follow up by management.
Pros
Remote Work, Flex Hours
Cons
Isolated from other coworkers, lack of shared information among departments.
Management has problems.
There are some good people who work at Berkshire. Program managers are not the best qualified for the positions they hold. IT is moving ahead with new technologies.
Horrible
They don’t care. Period. I never once got a god job from them and I worked there for 3 years. I was let go on the basis of just existing. They just don’t care about there employees.
Claim load excessive
Claim load was excessive and barely manageable at most. Management focused on closing claims to meet goals even when claims shouldn't have been closed.
It was fine. But money money money about selling flushes which Berkshire owns. Cut throat all the way around and very clicks and favorites.
I made good money. Just don’t like the drive 3 hrs a day and the favorites and how they get handed jobs and expect you to keep up with them. It’s unfair and a lot of tattle telling goes on for no reason besides jealousy or personal problem within their self. Negative environment. For aure
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Too much work and poor management
Do not work for this company unless you enjoy a crushing workload and unrealistic goals. They intentionally set you up for failure so they can justify paltry raises. Management is secretive and only promotes their "favorites," regardless of skill or experience. Most claims adjusters last less than three years due to the overwhelming rate of burnout.
Horrible place to work
Disorganized and too many people required to do simple projects. Pay was decent, but little benefits. Managers don't appreciate you and turnover is high.

They don't give you adequate training and responsibilities aren't written out anywhere. Then they yell at you for messing up.

Also shady practice of comp-time instead of overtime-pay. I think this is illegal. Especially when they don't comp you 1:1. If you worked 3-hrs overtime, they only gave you back 1-hr off comp-time next pay-period. I need to check up with State Employment Dept. about this. Can't possibly be right and they're just getting away with it because no one complained.
Pros
nice view of City
Cons
Long hours, no overtime. No advancement.
Okay company
Okay company but a lot of competitors in the same space paid better.
Turnover is high because of the lower salaries. No bonuses. Maybe for senior management but none for the lowly grunts.
Run!
The communication is terrible and they fault you for their failure of teaching. Management are bullies and will gossip about you. They expect you to learn everything in a short notice and if they feel threatened by you they they will try to get rid of you. Management is fake and nobody does anything to fix the problem.
Pros
Lots of discounts
Don’t get sick!
They speak a lot initially about how you’re not a number and you matter, but if you have to deal with Richard, you are unimportant. Very indifferent to people or their issues. No realistic way to be helped, heaven forbid you are sick. Encouraged to forgo treatment or lose my position. Really unfair. When you try to bring things to their attention they just push you out the door. Deny you the ability to speak to HR or your direct supervisor.
Work was great work culture was not
I serviced there for about 8 months and in that time I felt I was not valued as an employee. I enjoyed the work how ever the culture was depressing. There was very little communication between employees and if you are looking for a place to grow and develop it might not be the place for you
Horrible place to work for ! Call center is the worst department.
Management is rude and doesn’t care about their employees. They treat people so different and are so rude and unclear. They laugh in your face, always tell you what you do wrong opposed to what you do right. Make changes they are unclear about.
Pros
Cons
Micro management, mistreatment, a lot of unclear changes, bad management, supervisor is very judgmental and talks about other employees behind their backs, very unprofessional.
Horrible place to work
Stay as far as you possibly can. Disgusting company to work for. They do not care for their employees what so ever. Do not work at the call center unless you want to dread every minute of your life.
Pros
Cons
Micromanaging, favoritism, bullying
BHHC is a great place to work, especially for new college graduates. If you are looking for an introductory underwriting or insurance job, this is a great fit. Very laid back work environment and the company cares about its employees.
Pay is great.
The job is great for a young single person who wants to make their mark on the business world. Once that person gets good enough at their job or they want to stop traveling 2 to 4 weeks a month then they are no longer a good fit.
Pros
Lot of free stuff
Cons
Work you until you quit
Horrible company
This company is a joke. Management for claims assistants, HORRIBLE... FAVORTISM AT ITS FINEST. Very poorly managed. 4 employees on my team left within 1 month of each other.
Hire people with no experience
They hire people with no experience and within a year they are promoted to managers. While the experience staff wind up covering up for the mistakes of the trainees
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
BHHC Unit Stat Summary
BHHC is the most exciting and challenging career I've ever had. For 12 years I have successfully and solely held the position of Unit Statistical Analyst. From day one, I helped in the development of the department by recognizing and isolating reporting standards for Unit Stat Reporting for BHHC Workers' Comp Carriers through the WCIRB of California. I established policies and procedures for the daily workflow, came up with methodologies, learned various reporting platforms as the position and responsibilities grew throughout my career. Reporting platforms such as NCCI, ACCCT/CDX/BEEP and ISO are used to upload, assess, edit and submit data to various Rating Bureaus for assessment of industry business practices, data quality and calculations of Experience Modifiers for insureds. The position calls for diversity with an overview of all departments necessary to succeed with Unit Stat. Keeping lines of communication with all departments internal and external is essential. The position is multifaceted with many responsibilities maintaining data accuracy and a high level of professionalism. Being a Unit Statistical Analyst for Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies is a career I am proud of and quite frankly, sad to leave.
Pros
Independently work from home as a telecommuter.
Cons
Independently work from home as a telecommuter.
Work was fine, it was the culture and management that was bad.
You shouldn't have to fear your manager, but if you made a mistake without catching it, you're pretty much held prisoner for a good 30 minutes on why it's wrong. The impression and tone they give was just poorly skilled.
My co workers were all female and already built a clique around themselves. Eating together, talking together, helping each other out.

I worked there for 8 months and not one of them would say hello or good morning even if I said it to them first. Felt like high school all over again. They even had middle management in their group and guess who were the first 2 to get promoted working 6 months in.

Since i knew that middle management wasn't going to help me with my job advancement, I applied to 4 other positions. I even got to the famed 3rd interview in two of those, but it wasn't meant to be. Favoritism rears its ugly head yet again.

In the end, I was laid off because my margin of error for the month was 3.3% and the monthly goal was 3%

I could have fought to stay on but seeing how being on target 96.7% of the time is not the same as 97%
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
Favoritism, Cliques, Zero support from management
Has Potential...Won't Ever Reach It
This could have been a great job. Strong job security, great co-workers, opportunities to learn a lot about workers' compensation insurance industry. Unfortunately, the managers are uptight, unfriendly, and have the worst communication skills I have ever witnessed in my life. EVER. They have their favorites and if you aren't one of them, you're wasting your time if you are interested in advancement.
Pros
Co-workers, Benefits
Cons
Management, Opportunities for Advancement
Management is terrible in Medical Bill Review
Terrible place to work. Worst turnover rate I have ever seen 90%
I worked well with my co-workers but Supervisors micromanaged & treated you like you were a child. They set the productivity so high that you could never obtain the quota. Fellow co-workers were often stressed and not happy with working at BHHC. Good for medical coder first starting out but not a life long career. Management needs to step up and listen to employees instead of tearing them down.
Benefits
Cons
Poor managment. No room for growth.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies Reviews by Location