Berlitz Corporation Employee Reviews

Not a place for the passionate
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2019
You'd think that with such low wages and no benefits, only people who were really passionate about teaching would work there. In reality, you get two types of teachers there - young, enthusiastic people who come for some experience and then move on to better things, and people around retirement age who are utterly complacent.

As a result of all this, there is no "community" feel, and teachers get more acceptance when they celebrate that their student calls out sick than when they put in some extra effort.
I don't have much to say
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 14, 2019
I no longer work for them. I dedicated many years to the business but was laid off. Management was good when I started but towards the end, they kept driving the business into the ground.
great
Farsi Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 7, 2019
great place to work, very friendly employees and managers.

Great location, very gregarious crews.

They provide books, computers, display area, Projectors, Scanners, Tape recorders, ETC
Pros
great
I loved this job
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2019
I enjoyed working in this diverse workplace. We had teachers from all over Latin America and other parts of the world.

We taught our class in a conversational informal style, that encouraged students to ask questions that were not limited to language. Many of these students were going to travel abroad, so many of their questions were also cultural, and I was glad to answer those questions.

The culture was all inclusive and our conversations were always stimulating and we brought that enthusiasm to learn new things to our students.
Pros
I met very interesting people form all over the world
Cons
It was not a full time job
A veritable oasis in a country of uncertainty
Berlitz Korea, Seoul — ​English Instructor (Former Employee) –  서울 - City HallFebruary 1, 2019
The company provided a safe and challenging environment with excellent training. The hardest part was the daily schedule changes and split shift. The best part was the company's overall reliability about pay and help in a foreign work environment.
Pros
Reliability from the company. Great management
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
fairly nice place with cafe' and vending machines
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ar RiyāḍJanuary 23, 2019
This was another interesting job had where I worked as a student adviser . The whole work environment was comfortable but due to the visiting and registering students it was a bit stressful . I would say it was a little rewarding when I saw the satisfaction of the students making their decisions to join the center after I had given them a long lecture and an honest advise about their bright future with Berlitz .
Pros
Access to food is close by
Cons
had to handle a bunch of prospective students one after the other
Good place for begin.
Poetuguese Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Nice place but the wages are minimal only to beginners.Is nice for the environment. Unfortunately you can not make a living working only over Berlitz.
Pros
Nice place to work.
Cons
Wages
Primera oprtunidad laboral en EEUU
Profesor de Español (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA, USJanuary 2, 2019
Básicamente tenía que trabajar y fue lo primero que encontre
Pros
Oportunidad laboral
Cons
part-time y bajo sueldo
Language instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20005December 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is taught the language for the student when they achieve their target . When then can talk , they understand , then can write and they can read for new language.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Productive and Fun
TOEFL and ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 8, 2018
It was productive and fun. I enjoyed my stay there. I got the chance to teach interesting people. The teaching method was easy to adapt. The management style was not cut-throat but we still got our work done.
Berlitz
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRNovember 3, 2018
Berlitz was my first job. As a teenager teaching adults, many of them presidents or high ranking officials of private industries, it was quite a challenge to say the least. Many of my students were Japanese who by the end of a month were speaking fluent English. Others were American executives headed to Latin America on business and needed the skills to be in charge of their destinies away from home.
Pros
Fun
Not a great place to work or study in Morocco.
English Language Instructor / Editor / Tutor (Former Employee) –  Préfecture de RabatOctober 25, 2018
Not a great place to work or study in Morocco. You could do much better at another school in Rabat or Casablanca. Too many hours, no support from the Director, avoid at all costs
Fun place to work.
Spanish Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreOctober 3, 2018
It is the right place to start in the language teaching profession and learn teaching methods to better deliver knowledge in the classes. However, after a moment the use of the same method can be frustrating for the teacher who can not opt for other structures.
Doesn't pay enough
English Teacher (ESL) (Former Employee) –  DamascusSeptember 27, 2018
I liked working there but the pay is terrible. My manager and coworkers were great, I still think about advice my manager gave me on a regular basis even though I'm not teaching anymore. She was very wise and one of the top people I've ever worked with. I enjoyed teaching there but it's impossible to live on the pauper's wages they offer.
Pros
management, methods, culture
Cons
wages, benefits
Use of languages
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 22, 2018
I worked with adults who were learning English and I learned that everyone has a different approach to learning a new language. But it is definitely harder to teach an adult then a child.
Environnement tres agréable
Instructeur anglais et francais (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 18, 2018
Je garde un excellent souvenir avec les collaborateurs de berlitz.
Cons
Salaire
Pleasant Working Environment!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 6, 2018
Berlitz is a great place to work the suprvisors look after their employees , and make certain they understand their responsibilities.

Berlitz has meetings to ensure all employees are confidient in their job duties.
Pros
Great Mnagement
Cons
No Cons
Great students and flexible hours.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at Berlitz because the students came from different countries and were very motivated to learn English. I was also able to learn many things about their countries of origin as well. So I would have to say that teaching them was the most enjoyable part of the job.

The hardest part of the job was that there were not enough hours and no raises. Berlitz Torrance has specially dwindled.

One nice thing about Berlitz is that they were very accommodating with your own schedule. Most teachers have other jobs since Berlitz doesn't have enough hours so they will work around your own schedule. They also offer the same flexibility to the students.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
It would be a wonderful place, were it not for corporate oversight.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 17, 2018
Sadly, as wonderful as the position can be with regard to the actual job, it is equal to how awful it is with regard to the corporation. No raises for three years (company wide), many, many required "extra" responsibilities that are unpaid, and absolutely zero appreciation/loyalty for employees.
Pros
Students, local staff
Cons
Poorly managed, required unpaid work, no support, inadequate supplies
RE: Positive change
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 31, 2018
The company is in the midst of positive change! It is an exciting time to work for Berlitz, things are moving in a positive direction and new initiatives are exciting to be a part of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berlitz Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight