Berlitz Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
fun and interactive work place
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baja CaliforniaJuly 9, 2018
A typical day was slow. I have learnt how to deliver the English language to non-native English speakers. The workplace culture was very good. Everyone was supportive of each other. The atmosphere was warm and friendly. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that the students (Spanish speakers) understood what was taught in English. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the students that I taught. I was able to learn about the culture of the people.
Pros
great work environment, supportive supervisor, great boss
Cons
not enough classes
Nice place to work
Arabic Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2018
It was a very nice place to work on, excellent management but it was a part time job with no benefits. One of the great things at that company is the management, they are always listen to you and to your suggestion.
I work from my home. That is really, the only perk.
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2018
I work for the Berlitz Corporation.as an English Conversation Instructor.

I work from home, and gave classes via the Internet.

The work is very enjoyable. I meet people from all over the world, every day.
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Low salary, no healthcare coverage, no paid vacation.
Always wanted to be a teacher...
German teacher (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 26, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working for Berlitz. Every student I met was kind and very willing to learn. I actually implemented my "personal touch" to make the lessons more interesting...not just the book...
Pros
Meeting interesting people and help them to be successful in a foreign language
Cons
Very strict instructions to teach
Good place to work if you are just starting off in the language teaching industry and need to develop your skills before moving on to another job.
Market Area Instructional Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2018
I enjoyed working with this company because of the diverse group of people I worked with from all over the world. I was able to learn a lot of basic management skills and perspectives from many cultures. However, Berlitz has lost its appeal by constant upper management changes that have the company changing directions constantly. With poor upper management practices, Berlitz has lost touch with reality as to what the customer's need. It has allowed the competition to grow their market share by overpricing their product and the lack of creativity in finding the right program to meet the customer's needs.
Pros
Working with a diverse group on people from around the world.
Cons
Low pay rate, lacks innovation and technology.
Hardworking environment
VP, Finance &Asia Pacific Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJune 21, 2018
Fast paced high demand environment. Small enough so that an individual can get exposure to many facets of the organization. Friendly people. Nice working environment.
job is not secure in berlitz as a us language instructor
US Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 16, 2018
Berlitz is a good place to work only it is on call work where you dont have work security. and pay is also not enough for living. it is on call and you are not sure for how many months you have work
The coordinate more open mind.
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 14, 2018
I am working with good students and my students be happy with ny class . Unfortunately the opinion students was no important for the coordinate.And when I need references about my work in Berlitz my coordinator says Berlitz don't give references.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
shorts break
It's ok but don't expect a career unless it is the ONLY one you can get.
Business Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  USAJune 9, 2018
Usually a nice day with students. Other teachers are very nice. Staff are fine too. Culture is very independent. Local Management is good. Upper management needs help. They are trying to keep up but they have a dinosaur of a product. The best they could do is rebrand after creating new materials and they see what happens. The US operational system in non-competitive today.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Salary
Good envarioment, very low salary
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2018
If you don’t care about the salary, is a good place to work, but don’t expect much.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Very nice place to work at
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mecca, SaudMay 11, 2018
I enjoyed working here, getting to know the diffrent people from all places of the earth. It can get hectic overtime (especially if you are teaching children).
Friendly environment and supportive staff
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 9, 2018
Berlitz offers both private tutoring and teaching at a school. The company and the schools are very supportive and encouraging of their teachers, and thereof provide the utmost friendliest environment, even if the compensation does not compare to other teaching positions.
Worked as a part time Arabic instructor
Arabic Instructor (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 9, 2018
it was more like a freelance teacher, at that time i taught for 3 hours daily for 2 months and then i start to teach only at the weekends, it was a second job for me at that time
Read the other reviews about pay, it's true
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 6, 2018
The compensation is shameful and even more embarrassing if you accept it; you are not compensated for qualifications or experience. Same low rate for all employees across the board. You're not guaranteed a certain number of hours, you're not paid for preparation time nor for dead-hours between your lessons. I don't recommend working here at all, even if you're new to language teaching, not even if you're desperate.
Ask what they pay you per lesson or per hour and then compare the pay rate to that of jobs that DON'T require a college degree and experience, you'll see...
P.S. No one knows what the Berlitz Method is and this is why I agreed to work here, I wanted to learn first hand what this was. After going through the one week virtual training, no one knew what this Method was and the more experienced teachers taught lessons by any means possible based on their previous experience.
Pros
Free coffee and easy going students because they're not the one's paying
Cons
lack of hours, low pay, no schedule stability, poor training, outdated materials
Fun and cultural place to work
Portuguese, English and French instructor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2018
Excellent work environment. Interesting, fun job. Unfortunately, the pay is not compatible.
Advantages : We can make our own schedule and give them the availability we want.
Disadvantages: The pay is not compatible with the work and cultural level of the teachers. It is not possible to live and pay one's bills by relying exclusively on Berlitz --- even if one teaches a lot of classes there.
It is the ideal job for a very young person, who lives with his/her parents or for a married person whose spouse is the major bread winner in the household.
Fun job, no advancement
French and English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 23, 2018
I taught French and English lessons on and off for about two years. This is a great place to work and they truly are industry leaders in curriculum development. Using their course materials I saw some of my students go from very basic to in-depth, conversational French in a very short amount of time! Students would sign on for a contract, either on their own or through a government agency, and this could be a few weeks or several months, but this made it tough to keep a consistent schedule
Pros
Great course materials, convenient location, great students
Cons
never got a raise, inconsistent hours and schedule, 40 hours of training was unpaid before getting a job offer
Once Great Comany is Going Down Hill
Manager of Instruction (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 12, 2018
Berlitz has an excellent language-teaching method that is 140 years old. Unfortunately, the company has not figured out how to compete in the global market, nor in the digital age. They don't value their highly skilled, highly educated employees.
Pros
International culture
Cons
Low salaries, poorly organized company
great team
Global Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 8, 2018
My position put me in contact with colleagues all over the world, that's what I loved about my job. I enjoyed having flexible hours since I had to work with people worldwide.
You learn an excellent method to teach your native language.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2018
You can manage your time. All the teachers are very nice and friendly, always willing to help. The Berlitz Method is really the best to learn a new language.
Pros
Nice colleges
Cons
Low salaries, bad administration, inexistent benefits. very few students.
Flexibility, mobility
English Instructor, Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2018
Flexibility and mobility with Berlitz. In many countries and locations. Find it to be a good side-hustle to have, can work as much or as little as I chose. Also get good and relevant training.
Pros
good side-hustle to have, can work as much or as little, can do so in many locations
Cons
Lots of flexibility and mobility, have to make it your own or else lots of unknown and grey area