Bernalillo County Employee Reviews

Work Day
Senior Procurement Tech (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 10, 2018
I process orders for certain departments in the county and ensure they are in compliance with department and county codes.
Everyone is nice and helpful.
Training is a bit slow but good.
The probation period is extremely long.
Pros
Paid time off and holidays
Cons
Low Pay
Bcfd
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 25, 2018
One of the largest fire departments in the state of new mexico and full of amazing and talented professionals. A large dpartment of over 300 professional firefighters.
Honestly a great place for for your first job
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque NmNovember 22, 2018
I worked seasonal for the summer and I would honestly love to come back when the summer returns. It is a great environment to work in and all the people are great.
Pros
Fun experience
The hardest part of the job:
Administrative Officer I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 19, 2018
working in a Juvenile Detention Facility, even being a model site and doing the best for the youth in our care that we could, proved to be a challenge.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
limited advancement for my position
Political and Favoritism
Service Desk Technician I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 27, 2018
Manager had no idea what she was doing; Manager allowed some staff to run the office; Manager was never there; Manager took no ownership; Manager still played old school politics and favoritsm
Sucks
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  MdcJuly 15, 2018
Academy is a joke. Look out for for the king and queen of the gym or else you'll get threatened of termination. Managment sucks you only see them if your in trouble. Be ready to have no life because you work 4 some times 5 16 hours shift a week. And get ready to go back to high school because that's how all the staff gets around.
job duties
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJune 7, 2018
security escorts, security checks, report writing, searches of inmates, cell searches, passing out laundry, checking mail, passing out commissary, working overtime
Daily Activities
Recreational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2018
During my day, I was responsible for setting staff plans, talking with parents about their children's activities, making department purchases, reconciling credit card activity and posting revenues into the accounting system.
Pros
Loved working with people
Cons
I retired after 25 years of service and miss working there
Great, Hardworking people.
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2018
Great atmosphere to be in. Everyone there does there job and their part to make sure our facility stays up to par. Great culture in the workplace. You get to know your coworkers and learn to work well together.
Pros
Reasonable breaks, Great culture in work place.
Cons
Low Pay.
fun place
Administrative Officer III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 15, 2018
It was a great place to work, I loved my job.I learned a lot. The County Managers Office is a great place to work. The people I worked with made my job enjoyable.

Want to know more about Bernalillo County?

Ask a question
typical Government job
Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2018
Typical Government job, to many supervisors/bosses/rules, after probation period, very hard to discipline or fire anyone, even if they should have been fired.
Employees are the best to work with
FISCAL PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 9, 2018
a typical work day is busy. Management is changing due to election process. Politics is a constant battle to overcome.

The employees are by far the best part of your day, most everyone is wiling to help and move forward.
Pros
People are friendly and helpful
Cons
Pay for parking, difficult to change mind set.
Stressful
Backup 0365 administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2018
Very stressful place to work. No room for advancement unless you get on the good side of IT Management. No room for training or co-training. Typical day was always putting out fires and looking over your back. Management only cares about the people they choose to like. Work culture is cut throat. Hardest part was wondering if you had a job from one day to the other
Life guard
New Mexico (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMarch 4, 2018
Amazing management , great people all around and really want you to move forward in life to makes sure you succeed. Also great benefits as well and great team players.
productive and management centered job
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 16, 2018
Working for the county and the community center was an experience for me, learned a handful on communication, and leadership skills during my time there.
Allowed experience with variety of addictions
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 30, 2018
This experience allowed me to see first hand the different effects drugs and alcohol have on adults. I was able to complete individual assessments with clients to gain additional knowledge about their lifestyles and usage.
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Short internship
Reactive management
Substance Abuse Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 29, 2018
This review speaks only to the Department of Substance Abuse Programs...

Management at the time was the type that waited until something bad happened before making changes, then put in place an overreactive policy, while usually blaming the shift workers on the front line. But topping it all off, they'd then change this policy the next week (sometimes the next day) because another or the same manager realized it was a bad idea. This place is dying for new leadership.

Employees are a strange mix of backgrounds from psych to recovery to corrections. So be ready to work with some people who care about people and are working in love (hopefully tough love) toward clients' recovery, while others have the prison guard mentality and freely rile up clients and backstab coworkers, whatever gives them a good shift or a pay raise.
Benefits
Cons
Reactive management, poor hires
ok
Volunteer Teacher/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 10, 2018
I did volunteer work so I really do not think I can properly answer about working for this company. However those looking to relocate New Mexico is a wonderful state
Not bad place to work. Needs better management.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 2, 2018
I worked 5 days a week. with a 2 day weekend. Lots of overtime. 16 hour shifts at times. Hard to get anytime off for family or a social life for that matter. I liked the money and the training. Free meals LOL. Breaks were hard to come by as well as leaving on time. Training didn't make much sense caue you are by yourself but you train as a group.
Pros
Free meals and excellent benefits.
Cons
Poor communication and lack of training.
Only 3% of the Population Can Successfully be an ECO
Emergency Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 11, 2017
Great pay, great benefits, lots of overtime.

Lots of stress, must make it through 4 months of training, high demand, high responsibility, serious multitasking, sense of urgency required, must be on time.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lots of stress