Bernalillo County Employee Reviews

Sucks
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  MdcJuly 15, 2018
Academy is a joke. Look out for for the king and queen of the gym or else you'll get threatened of termination. Managment sucks you only see them if your in trouble. Be ready to have no life because you work 4 some times 5 16 hours shift a week. And get ready to go back to high school because that's how all the staff gets around.
Daily Activities
Recreational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2018
During my day, I was responsible for setting staff plans, talking with parents about their children's activities, making department purchases, reconciling credit card activity and posting revenues into the accounting system.
Pros
Loved working with people
Cons
I retired after 25 years of service and miss working there
fun place
Administrative Officer III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 15, 2018
It was a great place to work, I loved my job.I learned a lot. The County Managers Office is a great place to work. The people I worked with made my job enjoyable.
typical Government job
Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 23, 2018
Typical Government job, to many supervisors/bosses/rules, after probation period, very hard to discipline or fire anyone, even if they should have been fired.
Stressful
Backup 0365 administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2018
Very stressful place to work. No room for advancement unless you get on the good side of IT Management. No room for training or co-training. Typical day was always putting out fires and looking over your back. Management only cares about the people they choose to like. Work culture is cut throat. Hardest part was wondering if you had a job from one day to the other
Life guard
New Mexico (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMarch 4, 2018
Amazing management , great people all around and really want you to move forward in life to makes sure you succeed. Also great benefits as well and great team players.
productive and management centered job
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 16, 2018
Working for the county and the community center was an experience for me, learned a handful on communication, and leadership skills during my time there.
Allowed experience with variety of addictions
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 30, 2018
This experience allowed me to see first hand the different effects drugs and alcohol have on adults. I was able to complete individual assessments with clients to gain additional knowledge about their lifestyles and usage.
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Short internship
Reactive management
Substance Abuse Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 29, 2018
This review speaks only to the Department of Substance Abuse Programs...

Management at the time was the type that waited until something bad happened before making changes, then put in place an overreactive policy, while usually blaming the shift workers on the front line. But topping it all off, they'd then change this policy the next week (sometimes the next day) because another or the same manager realized it was a bad idea. This place is dying for new leadership.

Employees are a strange mix of backgrounds from psych to recovery to corrections. So be ready to work with some people who care about people and are working in love (hopefully tough love) toward clients' recovery, while others have the prison guard mentality and freely rile up clients and backstab coworkers, whatever gives them a good shift or a pay raise.
Benefits
Cons
Reactive management, poor hires
ok
Volunteer Teacher/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 10, 2018
I did volunteer work so I really do not think I can properly answer about working for this company. However those looking to relocate New Mexico is a wonderful state

Want to know more about Bernalillo County?

Ask a question
Not bad place to work. Needs better management.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 2, 2018
I worked 5 days a week. with a 2 day weekend. Lots of overtime. 16 hour shifts at times. Hard to get anytime off for family or a social life for that matter. I liked the money and the training. Free meals LOL. Breaks were hard to come by as well as leaving on time. Training didn't make much sense caue you are by yourself but you train as a group.
Pros
Free meals and excellent benefits.
Cons
Poor communication and lack of training.
Only 3% of the Population Can Successfully be an ECO
Emergency Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 11, 2017
Great pay, great benefits, lots of overtime.

Lots of stress, must make it through 4 months of training, high demand, high responsibility, serious multitasking, sense of urgency required, must be on time.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lots of stress
Job itself was fun
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 22, 2017
the actual job was fun but don't dare ask for help-
you will never hear the end of how "stupid" you are. the co-workers are a nightmare and you have to sit the entire night if on that shift. forced to take double shifts etc
Pros
911 radio is fun
Cons
nothing else about this place is worth the money except retirement
good first time and part time jobs
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 21, 2017
good experience overall and for those interested in working for the first time or a position for a summer or part time job the brenalillo county parks and rec provide those jobs.
Bernalillo County Zoning.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2017
Very busy company. Learned a variety of how to create and manage permits for the County of Bernalillo. Management was great. Hardest part was leaving the company. I enjoyed working well with others.
Bernalillo Elections
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2017
Very busy during elections. Learned more to communicate with those that did not understand how the elections were handled. Management was great. The hardest part was this was just a temporary assignment.
The Staff are great to work with
Election Support Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 31, 2017
I worked with the Bernalillo County Bureau of Elections for three different election seasons. It has always been a great experience and opportunity to learn about the NM Election process.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
The job was only temporary but would enjoy working as a permanent staff member
Very political
Account Aide (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87103October 18, 2017
Working in the County Treasurer was a very political place to work at. I learned accounting, working as a cashier, answering telephone call with the public, working along with the assessors office.
Pros
A great learing expierence
Cons
Too Political
Government Job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 15, 2017
Typical bureaucratic government job. Too slow of project development for my taste. The most difficult thing was the constant changeover of people in the government environment.
Pros
Typically good people to work with.
Able to use my expertise to improve operations of the department
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  One Civic Plaza NW, Albuquerque, NMJune 17, 2017
Innovative and creative environment that gave me the latitude to use my expertise and and knowledge to help improve the workflow and processes within the department.
Pros
Workplace environment was comfortable and encouraged to work as a team
Cons
move interaction with the public