Bertelsmann Employee Reviews

Potential vs. reality
Manager (Former Employee) –  Berryville, VAApril 25, 2017
This used to be a great place to work with the potential to be great again with the right leadership at the top. For the last 10-12 years there has been a steady decline and disregard for safety, long term solutions, training, employees and culture. I held out hope for a long time that things would get better and finally gave up. Great employees, but very poor leadership. I don't think Bertelsmann knows what is really going on, especially at Berryville Graphics, and hope they look into it.
Pros
Great people and potential.
Cons
Division leadership affecting
Fun Place to work. Fast pace.
Merger (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJanuary 5, 2017
I worked on the line. I directed orders to where they were to go to be packaged. Sometimes I stacked skids with books. Sometimes I filled flows with books. The people I worked with were easy going. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the orders coming down the belt. Most of the time they came down really fast. I enjoyed the challenge. I picked up on it fast.
Arvato/Sonopress
Director of Strategic Business Development (Former Employee) –  Weaverville, NCSeptember 9, 2016
The industry for which this company was positioned has changed dramatically during my tenure there and even more so since I left. They have done an incredible job of repositioning the company's business model to meet a market very few people saw coming. Their future looks good.
It was a good company, then Direct Brands
Technical Writer/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Long Island, New YorkSeptember 25, 2015
Became Direct Brands, and during that period the people were tense due to many unexpected layoffs of senior management that seem to come without proper warning. Managers of 30 years, escorted out, in tears and consultants given the task of conducting exit interviews to preserve data. I had to develop a Google engine to recover data from laying off employees still remaining on the systems.

It was a sad death of a great business purchased by a new company that was hoping to make some changes to bring it into the 21st century. Despite this, as a consultant, I felt welcomed and got a good project. Management was good, although there were several changes in the transition. If you are going to work with a company that is in this process be prepared to have great people skills. There are sad days and good days.
Pros
Good teams and people
Cons
Was in transition to sell
Great environment to work in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
Bertelsmann was a great company to work for in most respects. I had a great space in which to work which allowed me to be very productive and my day was typically 9-5. I learned so much about ethics and compliance, components of codes of conduct and how to train large groups on the finer points of the code of conduct, i.e.: workplace violence, harassment, etc. The hardest part of the job was trying to complete all of my company-related tasks in the given time frame while also handling my executive's personal affairs (which were extensive). I loved the offices, the executives from the parent company, all of our affiliates and the many perks that came with the position and the people I worked with were friendly, diverse & hard-working.
Pros
Excellent benefits beyond healthcare
Cons
Ethics and compliance dept was not well liked and treated with suspicion
Decent but low pay
Microsoft contractor Arvato (Current Employee) –  Reno NvNovember 30, 2014
Low pay but very flexible working hours and management. German Company. good MS experience and if you want to work into a MS career. Good location and has cafe but no discounts for employees
Amazing culture
Senior QA Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2014
Wonderful work and life balance, very smart and fun co-workers.
Pros
Ability to telecommute anytime needed, tons of time off, no late hours.
Cons
Client based projects may not always have a reliable pipeline.
Mail room environment
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMarch 29, 2014
Busy day, long days, enjoyed the work, able to work alone, management was okay, hard about hours
Pros
liked the work
Cons
demanding management
I was terminated while on Maternity leave
Administrative Assistant / Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2013
there was little to no humanity at this place. Unless you were an executive you were treated like dirt. they fired me while I was on maternity leave.
Cons
no humanity
Manger
PRINT ON DEMAND MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MDNovember 21, 2013
Set up and managed the East Coast Print on demand operation running three Xerox Docutechs 6100 series, one Docutech 65, Xerox Digipath Scanning solution and the finishing equipment.
Cons
Excellent company with great benefits and work-life balance
Associate, Ethics & Compliance/ HR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2013
It is a great company to work for. very structured and organized. Awesome culture and open door policy.
Great place to work until it wasn't
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2012
Still exists in Europe, but no longer has operations in the US due to dotcom bust
Awesome group of people to work with
Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 5, 2012
This place is probably the best place I have worked in thus far. The commute was wonderful, the people were awesome and the workload was interesting. I truly learned allot and gain much experience there.
Pros
cafeteria downstairs