Bertelsmann

Working at Bertelsmann: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

Pay below industry averages

Jobs don't pay competitively, and politics is more important than performance. Benefits are adequate, work environment is fine. Not the worst place to work, but far from the best.

Bad team

Bad team, poor management, no opportunities For the people of color. I would not recommend this company. People are not nice, all fake. Hate for new hire………..

Bertelsmann insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Overall having good culture and stable business model

Company's business model is quite stable and strong. They are growing steadily every year. Good culture and great benefits.however, there is no clear career progression path. Just doing what I am doing...and if there is an opening to promotion, you will be considered then...who knows?

Depends on where you work.

The job involves providing customer service to a number of different customers (these are referred to as projects). What your working day is likely to be like is greatly dependent on which project you are in. So, in some projects it will be non-stop interactions with customers all day long, while in others, it can be very relaxed. Consequently, how well you feel about the pay is dependent to a large extent on where you work. If you are working continuously all day, you may feel that the pay is not great but in the less busy environments, it seems more than fair.The training is very good and there is refresher training regularly. At the moment we are working from home and this is much better than having to travel to sit in a call centre all day (though whether this lasts is heavily dependent on which project you are currently working in).The possibility of advancement comes up quite regularly. However, the difference in wages to climb up to the next step is too small for the additional work involved and advancement to senior management is never going to happen. This is not an issue for many people as the workers tend to be quite young and have no intention of staying for long periods, but if you are considering this as a career move- that would be a mistake.The main way the company judges people to determine whether they are given permanent contracts is in whether they have a lot of time off sick or are continually late, but once you have a permanent contract, no one seems to care anymore. Consequently, you can end up with a number of colleagues that are constantly sick -

Pros

Plenty of training

Cons

Poor management

Global company

You have the opportunity to learn something new everyday if you wish to cross-train or grow within other departments. Employee recognition and engagement is something they care about.

employee growth

Good work culture and environment. I enjoyed my time working there but there was not much opportunity for growth. Good benefits and warm working culture

Music CD club

This company is no longer in business. Club members at that time, would call us to have help with their mail order music account. Place orders, make payments,l etc

Program Manager

Assisted the Program Director with various accounts to process their orders and ensure on time deliveries. This company is no longer in business. It was an experience learning how to handle accounts and the contacts.

Pros

Program Director was excellent in her position.

Cons

Long travel to the job.

Potential vs. reality

This used to be a great place to work with the potential to be great again with the right leadership at the top. For the last 10-12 years there has been a steady decline and disregard for safety, long term solutions, training, employees and culture. I held out hope for a long time that things would get better and finally gave up. Great employees, but very poor leadership. I don't think Bertelsmann knows what is really going on, especially at Berryville Graphics, and hope they look into it.

Pros

Great people and potential.

Cons

Division leadership affecting

Fun Place to work. Fast pace.

I worked on the line. I directed orders to where they were to go to be packaged. Sometimes I stacked skids with books. Sometimes I filled flows with books. The people I worked with were easy going. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the orders coming down the belt. Most of the time they came down really fast. I enjoyed the challenge. I picked up on it fast.

Arvato/Sonopress

The industry for which this company was positioned has changed dramatically during my tenure there and even more so since I left. They have done an incredible job of repositioning the company's business model to meet a market very few people saw coming. Their future looks good.

It was a good company, then Direct Brands

Became Direct Brands, and during that period the people were tense due to many unexpected layoffs of senior management that seem to come without proper warning. Managers of 30 years, escorted out, in tears and consultants given the task of conducting exit interviews to preserve data. I had to develop a Google engine to recover data from laying off employees still remaining on the systems. It was a sad death of a great business purchased by a new company that was hoping to make some changes to bring it into the 21st century. Despite this, as a consultant, I felt welcomed and got a good project. Management was good, although there were several changes in the transition. If you are going to work with a company that is in this process be prepared to have great people skills. There are sad days and good days.

Pros

Good teams and people

Cons

Was in transition to sell

Great environment to work in

Bertelsmann was a great company to work for in most respects. I had a great space in which to work which allowed me to be very productive and my day was typically 9-5. I learned so much about ethics and compliance, components of codes of conduct and how to train large groups on the finer points of the code of conduct, i.e.: workplace violence, harassment, etc. The hardest part of the job was trying to complete all of my company-related tasks in the given time frame while also handling my executive's personal affairs (which were extensive). I loved the offices, the executives from the parent company, all of our affiliates and the many perks that came with the position and the people I worked with were friendly, diverse & hard-working.

Pros

Excellent benefits beyond healthcare

Cons

Ethics and compliance dept was not well liked and treated with suspicion

Decent but low pay

Low pay but very flexible working hours and management. German Company. good MS experience and if you want to work into a MS career. Good location and has cafe but no discounts for employees

Amazing culture

Wonderful work and life balance, very smart and fun co-workers.

Pros

Ability to telecommute anytime needed, tons of time off, no late hours.

Cons

Client based projects may not always have a reliable pipeline.

Mail room environment

Busy day, long days, enjoyed the work, able to work alone, management was okay, hard about hours

Pros

liked the work

Cons

demanding management

I was terminated while on Maternity leave

there was little to no humanity at this place. Unless you were an executive you were treated like dirt. they fired me while I was on maternity leave.

Cons

no humanity

Manger

Set up and managed the East Coast Print on demand operation running three Xerox Docutechs 6100 series, one Docutech 65, Xerox Digipath Scanning solution and the finishing equipment.

Cons

Excellent company with great benefits and work-life balance

It is a great company to work for. very structured and organized. Awesome culture and open door policy.

Great place to work until it wasn't

Still exists in Europe, but no longer has operations in the US due to dotcom bust

Awesome group of people to work with

This place is probably the best place I have worked in thus far. The commute was wonderful, the people were awesome and the workload was interesting. I truly learned allot and gain much experience there.

Pros

cafeteria downstairs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bertelsmann. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
4.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight