Best Buy Employee Reviews

Found 20,340 reviews matching the search See all 20,938 reviews
My daily review
Geek Squad counter agent (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 19, 2019
I get to spend much of my day greeting clients finding out what kind of a technical problems they are having on their computer, Internet, cell phones, And about any other kind of electronic device and most software problems if I can’t fix it right immediately I check there device in and have another technician complete the work then when they come back in I great them and show exactly what was fixed and see if there’s anything else I can help them and leave them with a big thank you.
Pros
learn about amazing electronic's
Cons
pay cap low
hit or miss depending on management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJanuary 19, 2019
as an employee, when i first started working there i thought it was great. but you slowly get your eyes opened up to what it really is as you try to seek advancement.

especially in sales. they constantly give you unrealistic goals based off of the previous year. so if your store excels one year the sales goals for the next year are unrealistic in every sense of the word. they try to make you work your hardest to hit the goals so the store will bonus. starts at 105% to revenue. however the turn over rate in those stores are so bad that anyone that is a rookie to selling will drag the numbers down. you have a sales per hour quota for the whole store. and even if you yourself are doing great, or your department is doing great. if another department is lagging in sales output no one bonuses.

if you excel for a month the "prize" they usually give out is something ranging from about 20-40 dollars off the shelf that they just write off. which doing so counts as loss/theft and that also deducts from the monthly sales goals they they are trying to hit in the first place.

on top of that, if you are a good person you wont fit in well or excel, because they constantly want you to sell people things they don't need, and book as many services as possible even if people don't really need them. the amount of times i was pressured to sign a young kid up for a credit card when it is clear they don't have good spending habbits is awful. they don't consider that we are trapping people into credit card debt all the time just so we can attach more services

as for advancement, its all
  more... politics. the training is awful and instead of the managers actually training you they just stick you with someone and have them follow you around so you can teach them even though you are entry level and are struggling to hit your quotas in the first place. i applied for the lead position 3 times for the department i was a part of. and i had to train the person that got the job over me each time. they got the position with no sales experience in the department they were supposed to be the head of which led to me fixing their mistakes constantly.

this company is a sinking ship and its company motto isn't followed in slightest
Pros
discounts on products
Cons
short breaks or no 15 minute breaks due to lack of coverage. unflexable schedules, and chastised when sick, or refusing to cover a shift
Cult Culture
Tech Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 19, 2019
You had to be a part of the cheerleader squad to progress and move forward with the company. Not at all for the introvert. Made to be part of a greater scheme to "sell" items to a customer they did not need.
Pros
Discount
Fun Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 19, 2019
Comply with inventory control procedures.
• Cross sell products in other departments.
• Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction by delivering excellent sales and service.
• Follow and make department sales goals on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Maintain in-stock supply and merchandise products on the sales floor.
• Process point of sale purchases and handle returns of merchandise.
• Remain knowledgeable of product line features.
• Suggest ways to improve sales through new sales promotions.
• Assess customer's needs and provide assistance and information about the product.
September 20 2017 - January 2018
Best Buy, Mayfair Rd, W- • Comply with inventory control procedures • Remain knowledgeable of product line features.
• Demonstrating outstanding customer service
It's retail
Associate (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJanuary 19, 2019
It's just another retail job. Politics in the store. Pushed to sell like you're on commission but you aren't. Great discount. Decent schedule outside of holidays.
Was fun before new management.
Smart Home Expert (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CA 90230January 19, 2019
The days start to get a bit repetitive but still manages to be fun. My coworkers were fun to be around for the most part. management was actually excellent until they left and was replaced by other store managers.
Same stuff, different day
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 19, 2019
Everyday is pretty predictable for retail. Deal with a few rude customers each day and have to deal with management who enforce rules on everyone aside from themselves.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Customers, management
fast paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 19, 2019
i was in television sales while working at bestbuy. i often moved to different departments. it was fast paced sales and you had to know the products you were selling intimately. i was good at the work while i was there but it was part time for me.
Pros
discount
Cons
upper management
Very productive and lively co-workers to eork with
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 18, 2019
I really loved the way and manner all staff work together to achieve same goal.
The very best place I have ever worked and felt really really welcomed.
Pros
Best place to buy electronics with so much guarantee and rest of mind
Cons
Long wait for potential customer to be attended when checking out
Best place to work at, amazing enviroment and a lot of room for growth
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLJanuary 18, 2019
Great job. Good money, lots of learning and place for development. Throughout time they keep coaching you and you keep learning new things to be able to satisfy the customer on anything they may need.
Average retail work environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 18, 2019
All in all, best buy is a good company to work for. Lots of chances to move up depending on the state you live in. Pay is below average based on the amount of revenue that an individual can sell and the stress to reach their sometimes unrealistic hourly goals is a downside, but the team environment and friendly coworkers make it a fun place to work at.
Pros
Coworkers and a great way to learn about everything technology related
Cons
Pay
fun workplace with a lot of good sales knowledge
Google Expert (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 18, 2019
A good workplace for college students or those who want to advance in the technology industry and get up to corporate. flexible with hours for the most part especially if you have a good relationship with the managers they will usually hook you up.
my only complaint about this company is having to hit credit cards and if you fail to do so you're put on an action plan and have to attend 7 am meetings on Sundays.
good to work for
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Millbury, MAJanuary 18, 2019
company overall cares for there employees, compensation could be better but potential for growth within the company was within reach for those willing to put in the effort.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no set schedule
Fun, exciting
Supervisor of mobile department (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHJanuary 18, 2019
Great place to work with caring people.
Always something to do, so work day will go by awfully quick.
Meet a lot of great people with great personalities.
Interesting place to work
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Richfield, MNJanuary 18, 2019
Not a bad place to work, everyone is friendly and willing to help. Always a way to get way from your desk and reset if need be. I have been able to talk to other higher up and a get feedback to further my career.
fast paced but fun
Inventory/Merchanding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington Park, MD 20653January 18, 2019
I like the company. It was my first job and I have stayed for a very long time. I have made lots of lifelong friends. I have met lots of good managers that have come and gone.
Management was fair and always available to here suggestions on set up or sales.
Projects Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 18, 2019
When I worked in the store I had many responsibilities. I usually say there is no job that if assigned that I would say no too. But sweeping the garage and cleaning the bathrooms were a bit demeaning. But I did them and smiled. That earned me favor with management. Of course some employee saw me as a butt kisser. That usually did not matter to me.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Pay should have been based on performance and not just time.
Fun enviroment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 18, 2019
I managed a Media Play store and Suncoast Video store from 2002-2004. They have since closed. This review will not tell you anything about Best Buy specifically. They were the parent company. I always had fun at work
Pros
Product discount.
Cons
Retail hours.
Great Place to Work
GEEK SQUAD CONSULTATION AGENT (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 18, 2019
I'll keep this pretty simple, Best Buy is a great place to work the only downfall is the lack of hours for part time employees. Was guaranteed at least 20 hours a week and haven't gotten that since Christmas holiday ended. So if you can get into a full time position then its a great place to be!
Great Job
APPLE SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJanuary 17, 2019
Great starter job for young individuals looking to build sales experience. Will help learn how to ask open-ended questions and will help understand the follow of business.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Repetitive and Black Friday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.

56.9K

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight