Best Friends Animal Society Employee Reviews

Very fun workplace
Animal Care Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTFebruary 25, 2019
Personally, I would volunteer with my mom and we would foster kittens. It was a challenge at times, cleaning the entire bathroom on a daily basis, cleaning up cat vomit or litterbox training but overall, I have gained a lot of experience about raising and socializing kittens along with how to administer some basic medications. I love being able to help animals get adopted and I believe Best Friends is doing an amazing job at it.
Beware Best Friends Atlanta Location
Pet Adoption Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2019
If you’re thinking of working for the Atlanta location, you might want to read this first.

At least eight people have quit or been fired from the Atlanta location just in the last three months, and it doesn't have that big of a staff to begin with.

Specialists are the backbone of Best Friends. They are the ones who pour their sweat, tears, and souls into their work. They’re the ones on the front line dealing with all the good and all the bad that comes with animal rescue. They do this because they want to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals. They do this because they truly believe in Best Friends' mission. And how does Best Friends treat them? Like they’re expendable and replaceable.

The Atlanta location has been consistently understaffed. Specialists care for over 300 animals (including the adoptable animals, transport animals, and community cat program animals), facilitate adoptions, perform intake examinations and other medical procedure, and many, many, MANY other tasks. They are regularly required to work overtime in order to complete their daily tasks. Closing shift often doesn’t get out until an hour or two after they were scheduled to leave. In the past year, the number of animals in house has tripled, and only two extra specialist positions were created. Specialists are drowning yet management keeps on dumping more on them only to then turn around and blame the specialists for being behind in their work.

The staff must also constantly work against a terrible building. The Atlanta location is in an old furniture warehouse that was never
  more... designed to house animals. Best Friends keeps funneling money into this location just to make it functional, however all they’re doing is polishing a piece of poo. Local animal controls have better buildings than the Atlanta location. It’s nearly impossible to sanitize, especially due to the floors that slant away from the newly installed drains. (To clean, you must essentially flood the kennels, then use towels and squeegees to funnel the runoff into the drains. A very long and painstaking process) Runs are constantly under quarantine for giardia, parvo, etc due to an inability to properly sanitize. Yet the Atlanta location keeps cramming in more and more animals and investing more and more money into a location that just isn’t practical for what the organization wants.

There is a clear disconnect between the upper management and the specialists. No one is denying that upper management works hard, but the fact is these people spend most of their days in their offices on their computers and in meetings. They aren’t on the forefront witnessing how hard the specialists work and how understaffed they are. Sure, they may have an office animal and pick up a broom occasionally, in order to “help”, but overall upper management is very hands off and clueless regarding the actual animal care. Many members of upper management seem to have little to no actual kennel or care giving experience which is demonstrated clearly in their complete inability to properly manage and maintain their staff. Instead of listening to the specialists and empathizing, they instead bark out orders, pile on more animals, change schedules and procedures without notice, use intimidation and bullying techniques to quiet any dissent, and then tell staff that they can “suck it up or leave.”

The Atlanta location is basically the illegitimate child of the Best Friends organization -ill conceived and poorly managed. The quality of care of the animals is rapidly declining and the workplace is becoming more toxic by the day.
Pros
The animals and the other specialists
Cons
very poor management, overcrowded conditions, terrible building, high turnover rate
It's a fun place
Mission Hills - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAJanuary 6, 2019
I liked volunteering here because i love animals and they teach you a lot about how to care for them here. I worked with the felines and they were so cute and funny to take care of.
Fantastic ideas, wonderful animals, Caregivers need to be treated better, Management Overhaul Needed
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTDecember 20, 2018
If you like being understaffed, overworked, underpaid and underappreciated then this is the place for you. They put up a great PR front and a great message. Yes, they have helped many animals but they are so focused on "saving them all" that they've forgotten about the people who take care of the animals. They overload animal care areas, with animals, when there aren't enough people to care for them or the area is already past maximum capacity. The problem also is that they've grown so large that employees now seem disposable, forgotten and many experienced, long term employees have left or been fired. People have been fired, for ridiculous reasons, that have devoted their life to these animals. Management doesn't seem to care about the animal caregiver, like they should, and have ruined and demoralized peoples professional and personal lives. It is an environment of low morale, at least in animal care, and overwhelming stress. The animals are a joy but there are never enough caregivers to properly care for them in the way they deserve. You can't trust anyone it seems because you can be terminated for the smallest infraction or even fired due to hearsay. I know it has really gone downhill and they always say BFAS is a family. We aren't a family and even people working on the same team don't even really know or like each other. It's like you're back in high school with cliques and fighting over juvenile things. Perhaps I just had a bad experience working there but I know many other caregivers would agree with me. I'm not saying don't give it a try but it probably will not  more... be what you expect. It has changed a lot for employees and not really for the better. Also, management is terrible, don't lead by example and aren't even respected because it's not deserved. HR can't be trusted at all. No one in certain departments don't even know who to look up to for guidance. It's more like a corporation where the people are numbers. It's really quite sad because it never use to be like this.  less
Pros
Good benefits, Working with amazing animals.
Cons
Middle of nowhere, Poor training, Pay is too low for what is expected, raises are a joke, high turnover, terrible middle/upper management, Burnout, Favoritism, Nepotism, High Stress
They treat animals great but not people
Donor Services Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTNovember 19, 2018
My 31 year old son died. I was unable to return to work after only 3 days of bereavement pay. I was terminated after 18 years of dedicated service.

They take care of animals, not their dedicated employees.
IT Management Lacking Professionalism
AWS Cloud Engineer (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 12, 2018
The IT Management that I worked with were those that couldn't make it in the corporate world, but yet felt they were successful in the corporate world. The manager I had, he was very condensing and did not know anything about the data subject matter. I felt he saw me as a threat and therefore set me up for failure. It is sad, because the mission of the organization is noble, but the IT management running it is unprofessional and incompetent.
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Cut Throat, Unprofessional
"Non-Profit" Organization run by ex-cult members.
Peon (Current Employee) –  Kanab, UTOctober 9, 2018
If you are rich and ready to retire this is a good place to work.
If you want an easy going environment, where you are respected and compensated fairly, DO NOT work here.
I honestly don't understand how this company is considered non profit when they pull over 10 million dollars a year and spend it all on advertising and themselves.
Pros
Fuzzy kittens and barking doggos
Cons
Arrogant management, belittling conversation from just about any one in a position of "power"
Not relevant
Intern/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTOctober 5, 2018
As an intern, I was not there long enough to make the requested judgments. During internship, caregivers were pleasant, understanding, and patient. Working with animals; doesn't get any better than this.
Poor Management, Unrealistic Goals
Wildlife Rehabilitation Technician/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Kanab, UTOctober 3, 2018
My management was not aware of what it took to do my job. They were not interested in providing me with professional advancement or development despite repeated attempts to solicit this from them. I was never given feedback. My managers seemed to have no idea how to do their own jobs.
I was a volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UT 84741September 12, 2018
There's not much to review when you're a volunteer. There was no time of day that I wasn't busy attending to the animals. You always had something to do.
Pros
being with animals
Cons
getting dirty
Strong commitment to the animals
Employee Relations Lead (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTJuly 24, 2018
It is an fast growing organization that is collectively committed to their mission.
I have been witness to their incredible grown an am in awe of the committed founders and their endless drive.

They have a lot of turn over in leadership but I believe they have been learning along the way.

It is an amazing mission and there are a lot of talented people.
Worthwhile Goal
Emergency Response - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Excellent group of people at the Rescue Operation. I would repeat the experience if offered. Note this was a temporary assignment and would not be reflective of a long term position.
Pros
Lunch Provided, Goals were very worthwhile
Cons
Long hours and physically taxing
Great mission
System Engineer II (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 4, 2018
I very much enjoyed working in animal welfare. Best Friends gave me a position where the lives of the animals were placed in front of profit. It also has a great HQ.
Pros
Great people, work from home
Cons
work from home, Cio
Volunteer
Caregiver Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAMarch 9, 2018
Loved volunteering there. I gained a lot of experience and most of the staff was welcoming and helpful. You do get your attitudes, gossip, and mean employees though who make it a bit hostile and uncomfortable and scare volunteers away. That's why I stuck with the dogs to the best of my ability and gained a lot of knowledge until I couldn't volunteer anymore.
Great Place if you love Animals
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTFebruary 5, 2018
You will be surrounded by other individuals who love animals. Kanab is a beautiful little town in the middle of nowhere but be prepared to live and work with the same people as Kanab is a little town, in the middle of nowhere.
Pros
Working with Animals
Cons
Quirky work life home life balance
Fun and easy to learn
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAJanuary 28, 2018
The people are just as fun as the animals to work with.
They have easy classes to learn your way around.
They do traveling to help all animals around the city .
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Helper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2018
I like able to see animals and social with them. The animals makes me feel that I am important, which I like to give them my time. All animals comes and go, so I try to associate with all of them while I'm there.
Not a good place for animal lovers
Overnight Manager / Animal Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CADecember 20, 2017
Management recycles every 2 years or less. After the first 6 months, you realize that Management ONLY cares about branding. When there is a problem with staff, HR does not help. There is no way to address problems because management does not care. They know that they can grab someone off the street. They staff important positions with unqualified people and then they work them till they quit - average time 2 years.
Pros
Working with the animals
Cons
Extremely poor management
Bad experience with one of their employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTNovember 2, 2017
Bad experience with an employee who told me, "I don't expect you to understand Animal Welfare, since you've never worked for an Animal Welfare group." As someone who lives and breathes Animal Welfare, as a volunteer, I found that statement completely insulting. That's correct. I don't get paid by an animal welfare business, I volunteer for free. After that experience, I question the BFAS' employee code of ethics.
Sanctuary Ambassador
Sanctuary Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTJuly 27, 2017
I absolutely loved working for Best Friends Animal Society. It really helps for everyone to be working toward the same goal. The people I worked with were team players & were willing to all pitch in to get the job done. As with any employer that employs people, there are going to be different personalities & work styles. Sometimes there is conflict as with any organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Friends Animal Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Best Friends Animal Society Reviews by Location