Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Charge Nurse Role challenging
RN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2018
I love working at BIDMC, providing excellent patient care to our high acute patients...however have become slightly burned out WITH the high acuity of the patients and the demands that our put upon the floor nurses. On nights we can have between 5-7 patients and some of our patients our ICU level...often felt that the powers that be cared less about the safety of patient and staff and more with putting heads in beds. That aspect has worn me out.
That said, I understand it is a byproduct of a big, teaching hospital in a major metropolitan city like Boston...I have learned a lot and had many wonderful experiences, just wish we could be staffed better and feel more supported on the off shift.
Typical Day (7a-7p): 0630 to get report and on floor and run around crazy with patients going off the floor, returning to the floor, discharges and admissions and often leaving well past the "end shift time of 7p" - that was a joke. If you are leaving shortly after 7 you are not doing your job.
Learned: How to remain calm in stressful situations, myriad clinical skills and ongoing learning and evolving as a nurse.
Management: Seems fine enough.
Workplace Culture; Generally good, but seems as if morale is lagging the last few months. Staff seemed overburdened.
Hardest Part of job; Staving off negativity and apathy, battling admissions department about never-ending wave of admits they try to send the floor.
Most enjoyable: Harmony among co-workers, team environment. people support one anther.
I worked as PCT
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2018
Required to work every other weekend. A lot of work for little pay, but there is always oppurtunity for over-time. Great place to become knowledgeable about hospital setting and CNA experience.
micromanagement
Practice/Telephone Representative (Dermatology) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2018
unless you want to feel like someone's puppet, receiving directions from 10 different people in your department- don't work here.

management is VERY poor
Worked here for 1.5 years
Patient Care Assistant, NICU/Special Care Nursery (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2018
I worked here as a PCT in a unit for 1.5 years. I graduated nursing school during this time and hoped to be able to gain a new grad position, which 2x during my job search process was posted. I applied to both and manager knew.

This unit has 99% nursing staff that is Caucasian, despite a diverse patient population. That being said, since they like to hire internal, I was hoping I could at least have an interview, especially since I was told that I would be considered. I know many coworkers put in a good word for me, but I was never contacted at all or even acknowledged that I applied.

It disappoints me, and by no means do I think I am entitled to a position, I just wanted an opportunity to interview and to be considered because I really loved working there and the patients. I hope in the future the staff will diversify to reflect the patients better.
Pros
Central location
Cons
Not diverse at all
A day at work
Lead Administrative Assistant/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2018
. Welcome patients and escort patients from waiting room to examination rooms.
Ensure that multi-dose vials of solutions are dated when opened and disposed of promptly when expired.
Great Place to work
Patient Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2018
I've enjoyed working here and appreciate the benefits package and love my coworkers. It is difficult in the area in which I work since I am taking complaints. However, I am pleased with the opportunity to work here!
great
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
It was a great place to learn in a wonderful environment. I experienced so many different techniques in physical therapy and will carry those techniques forward.
Very Professional
Patient Financial Associate Beth Israel Hospital (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2018
The best hospital to work in in Boston MA. There is room to grow and get your education paid for. They are very good with the benefits package for their employees.
Pros
Classes taught in the hospital.
Cons
expensive parking.
productive and great learning experiences
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 3, 2018
As an intern found the hospital teams supportive and were great at teaching mental health..Learned a great deal in working in different medical departments.
Overall hospital has a great "team effort"
ICU Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2018
I mostly worked nights throughout career at facilty in multiple ICU specialties. Supportive team effort by fellow colleagues despite off-shift hours. Fast paced Level 1 hospital working all 12 hr shifts. Many opportunities to learn hands on. Many of physicians worked well with staff and knew on first name basis
N/a
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2018
Pros: Patient oriented, mix of cultures, promotes team based environment.
Cons: Not always will there be opportunity for advancement. Sometimes have to deal with long periods of short-staffed.
Difficult culture
ONCOLOGY STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 31, 2018
8 nurses squeezed into a very small area. Ergonomic request made and reviewed - no changes made. Caused back discomfort due to have to twist and turn to get in and nursing area.
Excellent Hosptal
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
I really liked working for the Transplant dept. It was with great pleasure that I was able to help all in the process, from pulling charts calling patient to remind them of their appt.
Very friendly yet focused working environment
Food Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
Enjoyed working with a great group of employees. They were very focused on putting the patient first everyday. The management staff was accommodating for requested time off even around holidays.
Excellent Co-workers
Birth Registrar/Notary Public (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2018
Co-workers and other staff members were excellent, management not so good. Patients were very friendly and pleasant. Some co-workers and patients respected you for your work and dedication.
Pros
You get to meet interesting people
Medical assistant
Holter Lab Tech (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2018
Productive workplace with advancement depending on your job role. The hardest part of the job was learning to work with people of different cultures and their beliefs.
Love my job
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Milton, MAOctober 20, 2018
I love working here! The staff is awesome and we have so much fun. The patients are awesome. I have a couple of good managers that answer any questions or concerns you have in an expedited manner.
Pros
work environment
Cons
low pay
friendly and helpful
Office Assistant (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
the work culture is very friendly and business casual as well as supportive. Although hiring process is very slow. The work place is very convenient overall.
enjoyable work
Transition Care Specialist Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
The role of Transitional care is very rewarding because it assists patients and families navigate the system.
Collaboration with the medical team allows best communication and care plans.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2018
I enjoyed my time working as a research assistant at Beth Israel Deaconess in understanding the importance of HSPs in the cellular system and in obtain RNA samples from them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight