Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews

Management is all about themselves
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJuly 1, 2018
Upper management is not at all about helping their employees. If you don’t kiss butt you will not get far. Too many cliques. Director doesn’t know child welfare and is too busy enjoying company paid lunches and working on her personal issues on company time.
Pros
Some great co-workers
Cons
Good Flexibility, poor management and training
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 8, 2018
Job was super flexible but you are always on call, expected to work a lot of nights and weekends. Managers are unsupportive and do not care to back you up either with other staff or clients. Managers seem to care very little about staff relationships and workplace environment. I would never recommend anyone work for Bethany.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
Bad local branch support
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 3, 2018
Bethany corporate is very helpful and great at training and resources. However, the local branch was unsupportive, gossipy, and ran the branch against the leadership from the corporate office. I felt alone in my work and worked most of the job on my own, without any support or leadership. I was let go for without cause after a few months, them telling me I was not a good "cultural fit". This was the first time in my career I've been let go and I was doing a great job. My clients and community gave me positive feedback and my supervisors even said my performance was "outstanding". I wouldn't trust this as a career choice, especially if you are leaving a good job for this opportunity. Please vet the local branch carefully!
Pros
Good salary, good corporate structure
Cons
Unorganized protocols, no local leadership, "figure it out as you go" mentality
Read
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 10, 2018
Our mission, to see every child in a loving family, drives all we do. We work as a team; social workers, leaders, counselors, administrators, and office professionals, to ensure that we provide the very best services to children, youth and families. Check out all the roles and locations around the country where you might be able to lend your God-given talents and experience to join the team!
Educational
Internship (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49009May 7, 2018
Educational place to work. Good environment. Lots to learn. Everyone is very qualified. Staff is easy to get along with. There is a lot to learn, but I enjoyed it.
Good start
Casemanager (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDApril 23, 2018
Great opportunity to learn and grow. Personnel and community engaged working for a very good cause. Very stressful and poor management, though.
Poor management, unkept promises of managers, no family time!!!
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, Grand RapidsApril 21, 2018
I do not recommend Bethany Christian Services, especially if you have family. Managers will say one thing and do another. It was the most exhausting and unappreciated job I ever had.
I don't envy new, naieve grads to work here especially. There's no training and very high turn over!
Sad because I loved the children! I'm so happy working with DHS now. I know my hours and get family time with lots of perks!
Please don't have your kindness taken advantage of. Work where you have stability!
Pros
I made a friends with others who understood our disappointment.
Cons
Please read details above.
Work load was very stressful
Foster Care Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2018
Bethany was a great experience to began my social work career. After I obtained my BSW the room for advancement was limited. Bethany can be more diverse when it comes to employees. Majority of foster care case managers are young college graduates that have no parental experience. The lack of parental experience makes it harder for them to empathize with the parents that are in the foster care system.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No room for advancement
Fulfilling and collaborative environment
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 25, 2018
This is a great place to work if you want to have a fulfilling job working with at risk adolescents. It is a slightly stressful job because each day is different, but the team atmosphere is very supportive.
Supportive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2018
Great Company to work for. Supportive environment dedicated and true to the mission and vision of the organization. Diversified services for family and children. Great support to ensure the needs of children and families are met. Excellent opportunities for growth and development. Strong commitment to team building.
Pros
flexibility
Terrible Communication and no training
Foster Care Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 21, 2018
I was given a position I had never attempted before that required a lot of legal documentation and forms and was given little to no training until 4 months into my job
Good Work Place Culture
Refugee Foster Care Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2018
Bethany Christian Services is a great place to work because of it's work place culture. Your coworkers and supervisors genuinely care about you and will check up on you if something is wrong.
Postitive work environment
Refugee Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Paw Paw, MIFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoyed having opportunities to grow. It was helpful when supervisors valued our family as much as we do, i.e. allowing for days off as needed. During stressful situations co-workes and other staff really helped make a difference in this job.
Good environment and great work place
Youth specialist and interpreter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 23, 2018
Good place to work and learn new things every time. Having lots of fun with the youth. Flexible time. Free and paid training and workshop. Peaceful and clean environment to work. Helpful staff and good coordination.
Pros
Free and paid training and workshops
Cons
P/t
Excellent employers, passionate about their work
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 20, 2018
I have only been at Bethany Christian Services for about two weeks now, and I already love it. They offer many different programs and are passionate about helping others. It is a positive environment, and I enjoy being part of the different programs and talking to all the staff members.
Not for profit Christian fostercare agency- has closed
Foster Care Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
This was a wonderful place to work- very supportive managers. very Christian environment with weekly team meetings that included prayer. I learned a lot
A ton of work for a good cause
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 7, 2018
I enjoyed working there but the hours were long and the emotional toll was extreme. I felt I had enough support from my boss but found that I had very little life/work balance.
an agency with a heart
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2017
Bethany is a Christian social services agency with many programs and opportunity for advancement.. The staff truly do care, and are very supportive of professional growth.
Lack of structure
Community Living Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 6, 2017
Lack of structure and training is the con of working in the department that I am in. Often will work 10 hours but only getting paid for 6 hours of work because of the tight budget in the department I work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
lack of accountability
Just for volunteers
Help Where Needed - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 1, 2017
If you happen to find yourself working there, a typical day is pretty relaxed and is a little fun. The management is great. The hardest part is probably working in the kitchen from time to time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Christian Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight