Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews

Great people, great mission, great workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 18, 2019
I've been with BCS for years. I have been invested into and have great opportunities for personal and professional growth. The work is challenging; clients with trauma, tasks that need immediate attention, changes in policy, etc. However, Bethany my leaders have and continue to support me to ensure I can do the work and find balance in my work and personal life. Great agency and would recommend!
Pros
Vacation time, open minded teams open to change, growth
Cons
Difficult to use vacation time, lots of work!
Quck paced, something new each day.
Foster Care Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 28, 2019
I thoroughly enjoy working for Bethany Christian in Grand Rapids. Each day brought something new, plus I enjoyed the team spirit our particular branch had. The culture is amazing. Diversely-friendly and race does not seem to be an issue within our work place. Id recommend this job for anyone who loves working with helping families with their goals of reunification.
Pros
Paid lunch, friendly environment, Christian
Cons
pay, dealing with angry parents.
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 18, 2019
Coming from a negative work-management position, Bethany has provided an excellent support system from management to coworkers. I feel supported and secure in my relationships with each member of my team.
Pros
Management/Workplace culture
Cons
Salary - but that is social service work
Great management
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 2, 2019
The supervisors are very conscientious of ensuring you do not work when outside of work hours. They have reasonable expectations and the job is rewarding. The nature of the job is obviously difficult, but working at this branch made it fun.
Great organization!
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 2, 2019
They really do some amazing work with a really wide variety of populations! It has been a long time since I've worked there, but I valued my time with Bethany!
Management has no oversight and is not involved in the mission
Foster Care Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 28, 2018
Management works hard at keeping good employees under them and not allowing for promotion or advancement as they do not want the work involved with training new people. Supervisors are focused on themselves and uninterested in working collaboratively with the team. Several occasions work environment became hostile and things were "pushed under the rug" instead of being dealt with directly. Managers have been "in power" a very long time and have lost touch with the ins and outs of the job and continue to add on to daily duties making the core tasks of the job difficult to keep up with. They have gotten good at delegating so much so that no one is really clear on their actual tasks or duties anymore.

Do not recommend as the work culture is negative in an already stressful line of work.
Good Entry-level Job
Medical Coordinator & Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 20, 2018
Bethany Christian Services is usually flexible with hours. Working in a residential home has led me to be burnt out. Management is decent. I've had issues with my assistant supervisor not following through on different things. Overall, would recommend, though.
Fun place to work in
B.S.W Case Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Paw Paw, MIDecember 6, 2018
I was an intern and enjoyed the people. They were friendly and helpful. I learned a lot from my time there and enjoyed working with the clients and staff.
Great Environment
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Paw Paw, MINovember 3, 2018
Bethany Christian Services provides a comfortable and uplifting workplace culture. My coworkers and supervisors are always supportive and have given me ample opportunities to learn and grow. I feel like I am contributing to the overall mission of the organization.
Volunteer Position
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 16, 2018
As a volunteer at Bethany Christian Services, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The staff really cares about their clients as well as their volunteers. I can't speak on behalf of the working staff, but as a volunteer, there's flexibility, understanding, and collaboration.
productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time at BCS. The staff is incredible and the work ethic is strong. BCS believes in their employees and work hard to accommodate their needs.
Cons
pay
Friendly work enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 8, 2018
I loved the people I worked with. I was an administrative assistant, medical clerk, and transportation coordinator. Management was great. It was hard for me to leave.
Great Team!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 3, 2018
Wonderful staff and Management! I Interned at the Knoxville location and learned so much about the adoption process. My supervisor helped me process all the emotionally taxing cases which was above and beyond her role. Very flexible and understanding about person matters.
Poor management
YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  300 68th St. SE Grand Rapids, MI 49548August 1, 2018
This is a very poorly managed company where the lack of managemnt stems from upper management and we, youth specialist, who work directly with clients pay the most for it by working chaotic schedules and receiving poor communication for critical information for clients.
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Foster care doesn’t care
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49501July 26, 2018
The woman who hired me wanted a professional with experience. After she left the supervisor I was assigned to was less than open minded about different methodologies. Everything had to be exactly what what was trained on (although no actual training was provided). The foster care team was very cliquey. My demographics left me ostracized from the beginning. Don’t work for Bethany Christian unless you are a white female.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Rigidity in treatment
Full of caring people
Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2018
A bit chaotic at times but full of good people trying to help others. Many long days worked and exhausting last minute projects but does give an incredible since of fulfillment.
Management is all about themselves
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJuly 1, 2018
Upper management is not at all about helping their employees. If you don’t kiss butt you will not get far. Too many cliques. Director doesn’t know child welfare and is too busy enjoying company paid lunches and working on her personal issues on company time.
Pros
Some great co-workers
Cons
Good Flexibility, poor management and training
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 8, 2018
Job was super flexible but you are always on call, expected to work a lot of nights and weekends. Managers are unsupportive and do not care to back you up either with other staff or clients. Managers seem to care very little about staff relationships and workplace environment. I would never recommend anyone work for Bethany.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
Bad local branch support
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 3, 2018
Bethany corporate is very helpful and great at training and resources. However, the local branch was unsupportive, gossipy, and ran the branch against the leadership from the corporate office. I felt alone in my work and worked most of the job on my own, without any support or leadership. I was let go for without cause after a few months, them telling me I was not a good "cultural fit". This was the first time in my career I've been let go and I was doing a great job. My clients and community gave me positive feedback and my supervisors even said my performance was "outstanding". I wouldn't trust this as a career choice, especially if you are leaving a good job for this opportunity. Please vet the local branch carefully!
Pros
Good salary, good corporate structure
Cons
Unorganized protocols, no local leadership, "figure it out as you go" mentality
Read
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 10, 2018
Our mission, to see every child in a loving family, drives all we do. We work as a team; social workers, leaders, counselors, administrators, and office professionals, to ensure that we provide the very best services to children, youth and families. Check out all the roles and locations around the country where you might be able to lend your God-given talents and experience to join the team!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Christian Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight