Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews

Volunteer Position
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 16, 2018
As a volunteer at Bethany Christian Services, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The staff really cares about their clients as well as their volunteers. I can't speak on behalf of the working staff, but as a volunteer, there's flexibility, understanding, and collaboration.
productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time at BCS. The staff is incredible and the work ethic is strong. BCS believes in their employees and work hard to accommodate their needs.
Cons
pay
Friendly work enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 8, 2018
I loved the people I worked with. I was an administrative assistant, medical clerk, and transportation coordinator. Management was great. It was hard for me to leave.
Great Team!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 3, 2018
Wonderful staff and Management! I Interned at the Knoxville location and learned so much about the adoption process. My supervisor helped me process all the emotionally taxing cases which was above and beyond her role. Very flexible and understanding about person matters.
Poor management
YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  300 68th St. SE Grand Rapids, MI 49548August 1, 2018
This is a very poorly managed company where the lack of managemnt stems from upper management and we, youth specialist, who work directly with clients pay the most for it by working chaotic schedules and receiving poor communication for critical information for clients.
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Foster care doesn’t care
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49501July 26, 2018
The woman who hired me wanted a professional with experience. After she left the supervisor I was assigned to was less than open minded about different methodologies. Everything had to be exactly what what was trained on (although no actual training was provided). The foster care team was very cliquey. My demographics left me ostracized from the beginning. Don’t work for Bethany Christian unless you are a white female.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Rigidity in treatment
Management is all about themselves
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJuly 1, 2018
Upper management is not at all about helping their employees. If you don’t kiss butt you will not get far. Too many cliques. Director doesn’t know child welfare and is too busy enjoying company paid lunches and working on her personal issues on company time.
Pros
Some great co-workers
Cons
Good Flexibility, poor management and training
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 8, 2018
Job was super flexible but you are always on call, expected to work a lot of nights and weekends. Managers are unsupportive and do not care to back you up either with other staff or clients. Managers seem to care very little about staff relationships and workplace environment. I would never recommend anyone work for Bethany.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
Bad local branch support
Pregnancy Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 3, 2018
Bethany corporate is very helpful and great at training and resources. However, the local branch was unsupportive, gossipy, and ran the branch against the leadership from the corporate office. I felt alone in my work and worked most of the job on my own, without any support or leadership. I was let go for without cause after a few months, them telling me I was not a good "cultural fit". This was the first time in my career I've been let go and I was doing a great job. My clients and community gave me positive feedback and my supervisors even said my performance was "outstanding". I wouldn't trust this as a career choice, especially if you are leaving a good job for this opportunity. Please vet the local branch carefully!
Pros
Good salary, good corporate structure
Cons
Unorganized protocols, no local leadership, "figure it out as you go" mentality
Read
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 10, 2018
Our mission, to see every child in a loving family, drives all we do. We work as a team; social workers, leaders, counselors, administrators, and office professionals, to ensure that we provide the very best services to children, youth and families. Check out all the roles and locations around the country where you might be able to lend your God-given talents and experience to join the team!

Want to know more about Bethany Christian Services?

Ask a question
Educational
Internship (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49009May 7, 2018
Educational place to work. Good environment. Lots to learn. Everyone is very qualified. Staff is easy to get along with. There is a lot to learn, but I enjoyed it.
Good start
Casemanager (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDApril 23, 2018
Great opportunity to learn and grow. Personnel and community engaged working for a very good cause. Very stressful and poor management, though.
Poor management, unkept promises of managers, no family time!!!
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, Grand RapidsApril 21, 2018
I do not recommend Bethany Christian Services, especially if you have family. Managers will say one thing and do another. It was the most exhausting and unappreciated job I ever had.
I don't envy new, naieve grads to work here especially. There's no training and very high turn over!
Sad because I loved the children! I'm so happy working with DHS now. I know my hours and get family time with lots of perks!
Please don't have your kindness taken advantage of. Work where you have stability!
Pros
I made a friends with others who understood our disappointment.
Cons
Please read details above.
Work load was very stressful
Foster Care Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2018
Bethany was a great experience to began my social work career. After I obtained my BSW the room for advancement was limited. Bethany can be more diverse when it comes to employees. Majority of foster care case managers are young college graduates that have no parental experience. The lack of parental experience makes it harder for them to empathize with the parents that are in the foster care system.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No room for advancement
Fulfilling and collaborative environment
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 25, 2018
This is a great place to work if you want to have a fulfilling job working with at risk adolescents. It is a slightly stressful job because each day is different, but the team atmosphere is very supportive.
Love itttt
Youth Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 23, 2018
this program and summer youth employment program... amazing and I loved it. It was such a great program and now that I am a senior in high school I am going to be sad to leave after this year
Pros
everything
Supportive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2018
Great Company to work for. Supportive environment dedicated and true to the mission and vision of the organization. Diversified services for family and children. Great support to ensure the needs of children and families are met. Excellent opportunities for growth and development. Strong commitment to team building.
Pros
flexibility
Terrible Communication and no training
Foster Care Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 21, 2018
I was given a position I had never attempted before that required a lot of legal documentation and forms and was given little to no training until 4 months into my job
Good Work Place Culture
Refugee Foster Care Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2018
Bethany Christian Services is a great place to work because of it's work place culture. Your coworkers and supervisors genuinely care about you and will check up on you if something is wrong.
Postitive work environment
Refugee Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Paw Paw, MIFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoyed having opportunities to grow. It was helpful when supervisors valued our family as much as we do, i.e. allowing for days off as needed. During stressful situations co-workes and other staff really helped make a difference in this job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Christian Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight