Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews for Youth Specialist

Good Entry-level Job
Medical Coordinator & Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 20, 2018
Bethany Christian Services is usually flexible with hours. Working in a residential home has led me to be burnt out. Management is decent. I've had issues with my assistant supervisor not following through on different things. Overall, would recommend, though.
Poor management
YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  300 68th St. SE Grand Rapids, MI 49548August 1, 2018
This is a very poorly managed company where the lack of managemnt stems from upper management and we, youth specialist, who work directly with clients pay the most for it by working chaotic schedules and receiving poor communication for critical information for clients.
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Read
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 10, 2018
Our mission, to see every child in a loving family, drives all we do. We work as a team; social workers, leaders, counselors, administrators, and office professionals, to ensure that we provide the very best services to children, youth and families. Check out all the roles and locations around the country where you might be able to lend your God-given talents and experience to join the team!
Fulfilling and collaborative environment
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 25, 2018
This is a great place to work if you want to have a fulfilling job working with at risk adolescents. It is a slightly stressful job because each day is different, but the team atmosphere is very supportive.
Good environment and great work place
Youth specialist and interpreter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 23, 2018
Good place to work and learn new things every time. Having lots of fun with the youth. Flexible time. Free and paid training and workshop. Peaceful and clean environment to work. Helpful staff and good coordination.
Pros
Free and paid training and workshops
Cons
P/t
An active and dynamic work environment with lots of activities.
Youth Specialist/Residential (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day on the unit consists of transitioning from school to the unit. The boys get their snack and get ready for group therapy/group work time (packets/assignments related to treatment). After group work/group therapy there is an activity of some kind before dinner. After we eat the boys take care of assigned after dinner jobs, they take their showers, write in journals, and eventually get ready for bed. During summer break, holidays, and school days the boys enjoy a lot more free time/planned recreational activities.
I have learned true meanings of compassion, empathy, and developed a great appreciation for new perspectives. This job has developed my sense of creativity and how to apply it towards helping others.
The management at Bethany is dependable and flexible, something that is greatly appreciated in residential facilities.
The hardest part of my job is helping kids that are truly hurting/struggling with various issues. Seeing their disappointment in themselves or their loved ones is pretty tough. The best part of my job ranges from just interacting and playing games with boys without paying attention to their struggles, to physically watch them overcome milestones in treatment.
Pros
Food, no official uniform, great co workers, great experience (personal and professional)
Cons
Varied hours, low pay, less time with family and friends