Bethel School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was very hard to advance in the company
Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 10, 2018
I had worked for the school for over 10 years and was a volunteer for over 25 years, there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed and it is taking a long time for these issues to be addressed.
substitute employee pay should be the same as full time employees for doing the same job.
Warehouse / Child Nutrition / Courier Operations (Current Employee) –  Spanaway, WAJune 3, 2018
A substitute employee performing the same job as a full time employee is paid approx 25% less. Substitutes should be paid the same as full time. End
Pros
Friendly place to work.
Cons
subs are paid less than full time employees for doing the same job. Not fair.
Lots of days off
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAMay 23, 2018
Working for bethel was very convenient when my daughter was young. I was able to bring her on the bus with me when i didnt have child care. I also had all the days off she did so i didnt have to find extra child care.
I have enjoyed working in the school district for more than 20 years
Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 16, 2018
Daily schedule is good. I have regular training and feel supported management. I work as part of a team and the most difficult part of the job is when your students are going through a rough time and you can't help them until they are ready to accept the assistance. The best part is seeing them be successful, motivated and develop into productive citizens.
This was a good place to work .
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 14, 2018
The high school I worked at was a good place to work but the district itself contained a hostile working environment. It was difficult for teachers to feel secure in their jobs.
good
Cons
stressful
Was a positive place to work
Assistant Director of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAMay 2, 2018
Assisted in managing Drivers, staff, students. Communicated with parents to resolve student issues and bus stop issues. did annual State Count for funding of transportation and oversaw Driver Training and Bus Accident Reviews.
Great!
Speech and Debate Coach (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 29, 2018
A good place to work and the teachers are really nice and the students are nice as well! I make my own hours and get a couple sicks days and it pays through the summer if you work more than one year in a row.
Cons
Doesn't pay enough to live off of.
Learning as a Substitute Teacher
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 24, 2018
If nothing else, my work there provided me a new learning experience with how to help children learn and grow. The most rewarding aspect of it was seeing the light in a child's eyes when they understand how to go about working on a problem.
Pros
Location was ideal and seeing first hand how the staff work with and encourage student learning
Cons
The hours worked
Nice staff.
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT (sub) (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 13, 2018
All schools in the district have nice staff, and a decent work environment. The students are very enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job would be switching between schools and different classroom because every class is different.
Good place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Accounting II/ Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 12, 2018
It is a Good place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. No space for advancement and lack of challenges.Salary is low for the amount of work.
Great School/Teachers
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 20, 2018
There is a great, collaborative culture at Fairfield elementary. They strive to have an environment of unity and teamwork, to provide the best environment for the kids to come to school.
Much of the job is behavior management and emotional support with the students.
Pros
Investment in youth's lives
Cons
healthcare, salary.
Excellent Community
Substitute Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Spanaway, WAFebruary 15, 2018
As a substitute, I have been to several of the many schools in this district. I have always felt welcome and taken care of. As a substitute, I don't get benefits, but I do get paid well and I have the ability to accept or decline work whenever the opportunity arises. Unfortunately, I'll need a summer job to get me through the summer break. Sometimes, being a sub is really hard because you often have to improvise or work with partial information. Occasionally, it can be stressful or chaotic, but overall, my stress is lower in this job than at other jobs I've had.
Pros
Flexible schedule, well paid, rewarding
Cons
no benefits for subs
My Favorite District
English and Humanities Teacher (Current Employee) –  Graham, WAFebruary 11, 2018
I used to always want to work at my hometown district. As fate would have it, I met someone and ended up moving up to Pierce County and substituting for Bethel School District for 4 years. I had a blast teaching and telling stories to encourage participation.

I finally got a part-time position that turned into a full-time position from an administrator who is good at seeing the potential in people. He always worked from the standpoint of best practices while at the same time made you feel at ease which was great for someone like me who can be a bit anxious at times.

The teachers are all friendly. They whine, but mostly about small insignificant things. We are all a family, despite any differences of opinion, and we help each other out when one needs it.

I can think of no better place to work and have always felt safest at that district I've called home.

Lastly, we have a great community that loves its families and plenty of opportunity for growth.
Pros
See above
Cons
None really
Productive sometimes fun some stressfull
Para Educator Special Education (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAFebruary 6, 2018
A typical work day would be starting in the am with no students and meeting with the teacher and getting the agenda for the day or week.
When the students arrived it could be stressful as I was in a self contained classroom with students of behavioral disabilities.

I learned a lot of things while working there, I have always had compassion for people and especially those with special needs. Most of what I learned was in the Gen Ed classrooms, it was a great way yo brush up on my math skills, and communications .

At times I did not feel that we as paras were given the support that we deserved the managing teacher wanted to be more like a friend to the high school students than a teacher /role model a lot of the discipline for the students that needed it was over looked and we were told to over look such.

For the most part the workplace in general was a good place to work , I feel that there are truly good teachers that really do love to teach. and treat all with equality.

The hardest part of this job was getting the children to focus and building a trust and a good relationship with certain behavioral students.

The most enjoyable part of my job was watching those students grow and develop skills and the best part was seeing them graduate.
Pros
Summers off and all holidays paid
Cons
Displacements and wondering if you had a job the next year
Fun place to work
Para Educator Substitute (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAJanuary 15, 2018
A typical day as a Substitute Para Educator was fun as I could choose to work at any number of schools and with a various different group of people every day. I learned that although some people are non-communicative they can still communicate their needs, The management style was different at each school and in each classroom and every teacher was different in their expectations of me. The workplace culture was sometimes fun other times stressful. The hardest part of my job was when I had no notes from the person I was subbing for so it was hard to meet my expectations effectively. Meeting so many different people
Pros
I was able to meet many different people
Cons
No notes on what my duties were at some jobs making it hard to meet expectations
Great job
Educational Substitute Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 11, 2018
Working as a substitute for the Bethel school district allows me flexibility in regards when, where, and what position I choose to work. It also allows me to work with children.
no reason
Music Teacher/substitute teacher other subjects (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTJanuary 11, 2018
Though I had my certification when I was worked in Bethel, I didn't feel that I could get a full time position. I worked happily as a substitute. It was a good school district.
Great school
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 9, 2018
I worked at assistant teacher and playground monitor. I really enjoyed being with the kids and teaching. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys being around kids.
nice place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTJuly 26, 2017
i really liked working there but they laid me off lots of drama co worker always fighting lots of people abusing there sick time i was out 2 times in one year twice i had to give up my vaction time because co workers called out sick
Pros
great people
Cons
too much drama
Great place to volunteer
VOLUNTEER TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Graham, WAJuly 15, 2017
I had a great experience volunteering at schools for bethel school district. The parents and staff were always helpful and considerate. Having to volunteer in a positive environment brought enjoyment working with the children.
Pros
Seeing children succeed in learning.