Bethel University Employee Reviews

Stressful atmosphere
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  McKenzie, TNJuly 31, 2019
There institution is currently experiencing a significant downturn in student enrollment resulting in the layoff of a number of employees. There is a general sense among the remaining faculty/staff that long-term employment prospects are poor.
Challenging environment
Associate Professor of Business (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 25, 2019
Higher education is in the throes of disruptive change. Senior leadership performed poorly in anticipating and managing this change which resulted in a demoralized work environment for faculty and staff which has begun to impact student perceptions.
Good work/life balance
Professor (Current Employee) –  McKenzie, TNJuly 18, 2019
No two days are the same. The pace is fast. Culture believes in work/life balance. Good place to work. Management does a very good job of professional development for each employee.
It pays the bills.
Armed Security Sergeant (Current Employee) –  McKenzie, TNJuly 15, 2019
It's a job that changes from minute to minute. I patrol, check buildings, deal with vehicle accidents, drugs, alcohol, and typical college-age kids drama.
Horrible management
Undergraduate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 9, 2019
As a graduate of Bethel University I wanted to work for the school that helped me obtain my degree. However, they run hiring mill when it comes to college recruiters. They bring in people for their 90 days and bleed them of all their contacts and then let them go when benefits are to be offered. On my first day, 3 other employees told me to go ahead and start looking for another job as it is the way things work there.
Productive and cooperative workplace for students looking for part time jobs
Academic Student Achievement Tutor (Former Employee) –  McKenzie, TNJune 1, 2019
Wonderful job as a tutor working in the student center. Great admin and the students were nice to work with. The pay was equivalent to the amount of hours we worked, and the cost of living in McKenzie is not very high as a student, therefore, a good job for students on campus.
Family Atmosphere
Assistant to the Event Planner (Former Employee) –  McKenzie, TNMay 11, 2019
For me Bethel University was like a big family. I was the 22nd person in my family to attend Bethel University and most of the staff has either been there since my parents were there or went to Bethel with my parents.
Pros
Free food at events for the staff and the attendees
Good environment
Teaching Assistant for Data Structures (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 18, 2019
Overall, Bethel is a cool place to work because of the environment. There is a fellowship there for those willing that isn't common to all jobs, and the experience is a positive one.
N/A (Current Employee) –  McKenzie, TNApril 11, 2019
Difficult work culture that does not balance individuals skillset to job requirements. More focus placed on placing people in positions not qualified for while middle management does the majority of the work. Not willing to make necessary changes that need to be made.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Clock in even as a professional.
Student Housing
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethel, TNApril 4, 2019
Spent alot of time in the dorms. Had to do Health and Safety checks each week. Very laid back coworkers(all Students) and Director. Good way to earn extra scholarship if needed!
Family-oriented
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  McKenzie, TNApril 2, 2019
While the company is extremely family oriented and provides multiple days off to schedule appointments and attend family functions, they allow no room for advancement and are unsure of how to ensure success in students.
Pros
Paid leave and multiple benefits
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Very friendly environment to work in
Deputy Registrar - Administration (Current Employee) –  MonguMarch 29, 2019
On a typical day, it starts with some meeting with management, then breaking into separate offices, checking mails and responding, working on files, attending to students, going into class. very friendly environment, everyone respects and they know they can rely on you and you can rely on them. You have all the freedom to perform at best. Management is good and work culture is so cool, every body does their job pretty well. the hardest part of the job is the peak time when exams need all the attention of every one.
Pros
Freedom to do your work without closer supervision
Cons
sandy environment
Work study
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Mc Kenzie, TNMarch 8, 2019
i worked part-time at the fitness center for work study. I chose my hours. The environment was relaxed. My supervisor was excellent. I worked 20 hours a week
Favoritism, Nepotism
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  McKenzie, TNMarch 6, 2019
The workplace culture varies, depending on who you speak with. If you have any pull whatsoever, you'll probably be pretty happy with your job. If you are a little lower on the ladder, you'll experience how low morale actually is among most employees.

Much of the organization functions on who-you-know relationships. Your chances of getting a job, keeping a job, earning a promotion, or getting a business contract greatly depend on who you're related to or who you are friends with.

While the pay is decent for a rural area, it's definitely not enough if you receive company health benefits (over $700 a month for a family of 3).
Pros
Work hours: M-F 8-4:30; vacation, sick, and personal leave
Cons
Favoritism, bad leadership, lack of communication between departments, pricey benefits
College Student- Work Study
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  McKenzie, TNMarch 5, 2019
Easy job, interesting to work with the actual staff as a student. It was an overall great experience. It was a rather short shift, during lunch hours or during the dinner hours.
Slow for the most part, but interactive with the community
Safety and Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 19, 2019
This was a great place to work as a student, but as staff things were different. The best parts were helping out the community and assisting with any calls for service, but the supervisors were often very demanding. A typical day at work was slow for the most part. From patrolling the campus properties to responding to emergencies, there wasn't much activity to keep mentally stimulated. The hardest part was having to deal with an inconsistent schedule and having to do other department's work for them. The culture is typical of any other security department.
Pros
Good community, helping others
Cons
Have to do other department's jobs
Excellent University balancing academic and spiritual resources
Vice President, College of Public Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNFebruary 19, 2019
Bethel University provided students that were working adults the opportunity to earn a college degree while continuing to work. Bethel University applied life skills from the working environment of law enforcement officers toward an academic degree in Criminal Justice. I felt privileged to work with professionals of all works of life seeking a degree from an accredited University.
Pros
The ability to assist law enforcement officers from all walks of life.
Cons
Long hours and a lot of travel.
A fun, fast-paced work environment largely made up of young professionals
Admissions Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 4, 2019
My time at Bethel has been both trying and exciting. I have met incredible individuals, whether co-workers, students I supervise, or guests of admissions. The workplace culture is upbeat and exciting- all are focused on the goal of recruiting the right fit prospective students to Bethel. We are supportive of each other and collaborate frequently. The most difficult portion of the job is true to any sales-based position- capturing the right audience and carrying commitment through a delayed "product" delivery. My supervisor cared about me professionally and personally and I saw a great level of growth in two years in my role.
Student
Physician Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  StudentJanuary 31, 2019
This is where I did my training and went to physician assistant school at Bethel University. I was here from 2016-2018 and completed all my rotations through Bethel as well.
Resident Director
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  McKenzie, TNJanuary 17, 2019
Resident Director for male and female dorms, the experience to grow with the students was great and learning the different cultures from all walks of the globe made for a very interesting position. My husband and I will always cherish the memories and friendships that were formed for ever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethel University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight