Play YouTube video button

Bethesda Lutheran Communities Employee Reviews

Featured review
Bethesda Lutheran Communities selected this as a representative review
Lead DSP (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 9, 2019
Good place to work nice management to work for very friendly if you ever need anything just ask and they are right there for you. If you need a day off they will give it to you
Pros
Pay
Cons
Teaches you patience. Every house is different.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 18, 2019
I started when I was in college. They were flexible with my schedule. Small raises. I was there about 6 years. I learned a lot of new things being part of this company.
Pros
Can advance to higher position
Cons
I felt dispensable.
The people served with IDD and family
Pprogr (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 16, 2019
My day starts at 8 and ends up 4 how many days in the mornings it's going through payroll reviewing therapy notes attending any basis or individual plan meeting meeting with mcos the most enjoyable part of my job at Bethesda has been working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families the least favorite thing would be having to be on call every 4th week for a week at a time starting on Friday at 5 p.m. through the following week ending on Friday at 8 a.m. covering all group homes Staffing and doing rounds medication counts checking in with staff in person served in the home setting also having another program to oversee in residential that requires going to medical appointments follow up appointments and getting the proper documentation scanned into therap and into the individuals book
Pros
Can be a little flexable with hours
Cons
On call e ery forth week little pay
Great Enviorment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 7, 2019
Very chill place to work. lots of hands on activities with the indivsuals and great support them in and out of the work place. flexible in everyway. I would recommend anyone to work here!
loving Environment
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAApril 4, 2019
I would do personal care for the Individuals I supported.
Patience was developed in a short time.
Management was helpful at times.
loving Environment.
Pros
Changing the lives of the people I supported
Cons
Not enough support from Management
Work work overworked
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 1, 2019
Drama lots of drama no social life very stressful not enough staff always call offs no help from management staff don’t alway work well together the nurse always has an attitude and don’t want to be bothered on weekends
Pros
Cons
Over worked
Fun Workplace
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 30, 2019
Good Place to work, nice work environment, Good Management and Awesome Staffs to work with, good trainer that really help to do the job better, free training etc
Pros
Free Food at Work
Cons
Free Health care
Okay job
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAMarch 4, 2019
Providing support in a home environment to people with developmental disabilities. Assisting with daily activities such as food preparation, medication administering, transporting to day program, church and social outings. Assisting with hygiene and help individuals do what they can for themselves. Most enjoyable part of job was feeling like you were improving the lives of the people you serve and being trusted to do the job without supervision. Worst part of job is co-workers not doing their part and not sharing the workload, and being injured on the job if you cannot lift much weight.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Low-pay, co-workers not being a team player
No training
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INFebruary 25, 2019
Always behind, lack of diversity and executive leadership. In this case a good ole girls club in Ft. Wayne IN. PM’s were overworked to the max! No work life balance, lies on top of lies. Shady record keeping, faith based, nope! The whole northern region is mismanaged and no regards to the people we’re supposed to be helping. A plethora of problems that won’t go away until a new regime is in place. Hated it there so bad, constantly stressed.
Cons
Great place to work, great people
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Fox Lake, WIFebruary 18, 2019
All employees get along very well, we treat each other like family. Everyone is willing to pick up the slack if short handed. Management is also great and willing to help out to the best of their needs.
A day at Bethesda
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIJanuary 21, 2019
A typical day at work at Bethesda is very rewarding and uplifting. What I learned is to accept those who are different than me. Everyone is working together to provide the best care for everyone who has an intellectual and developmental disability. The hardest part of the job is making sure that every task is being done within your eight hours because there is so much to do to provide the best quality care. The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds and we all compliment each other so it is very comforting to know that we all want to achieve the same goal at providing care.
Pros
15 min break and half hour lunch
Cons
Staffing was a challenge
Hard job with a Caring Environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIJanuary 18, 2019
A typical day at Bethesda consisted of picking up residents from work taking them home and passing medications, with a snack. During med pass personal cares and toileting would be done. After med pass was done and cares were taken care of dinner would get made and served. After dinner we would do activities or watch movies and finish other personal cares. Laundry would also be done as well as dishes during time. Around 8 o'clock residents would be put to bed and cleaning would be done. The management was sometimes poor because of bad communication. The culture of the workplace was usually calm due to the residents disabilities and need for routine. the hardest part of the job was being an advocate for individuals who could not communicate for themselves, and figuring out their needs by the way they act and sounds they make. This job is also very rewarding, seeing and making residents happy is very heartwarming. Doing everyday activities can be hard for them so being able to help them accomplish the things they cannot do on their own makes you feel secure and needed.
Pros
routine, stability, very heartwarming, being an advocate
Cons
management, lack of staff, insufficient coworkers
Good Honest Work
Caregiver/DSP (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 17, 2019
I loved working with the elderly disabled. At first they start out as strangers, but as time passes, they become apart of your work family as you are theirs. The connections you build within the company and to other residents within different homes is what you can't replace. Due to being part-time my hours were cut short. But overall being a DSP was truly an honorable job in caring for those who needed it more.
Pros
Literally a second home.
Don't
Lead DSP (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORJanuary 6, 2019
lots of long hours, very low pay, staff and management play lots of games, this workplace hard to work in. Love the people we support that's the best part.
Pros
the people supported
Cons
pay
Was a great learning place
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 30, 2018
had great experience with clients and learning new things with my jobs. I would of loved to stayed but health and other things caused a mess up. I would love to start to say that I had some great co workers that I met who I still keep on contact with. I have learned that I want to take my career path into the human services sector because of the opportunity of working with Bethesda.
Pros
The training and certifications
Cons
Having to learn somethings on your own and feeling abandoned
Work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 26, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working with Bethesda and their individuals, working there for 15 years plus, but management desperately needs reworking. Communication needs work also
Cons
plenty of OT for those who want it
DSP (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORDecember 18, 2018
It's a stressful but rewarding job. There's some things that I could do without, but the people make it worth while. I'm fortunate to have a manager and a lead who are people and remember that I'm a person as well. Not just another robot to get the job done
Bethesda
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  MichiganDecember 18, 2018
I loved working with residents. The job itself can be demanding, and I didn't find the management very supportive of their employees. I felt like we were treated expendable.
Pros
Caring for wonderful people
Cons
Management not very supportive of employees
Great place to work Rewarding career
Group home Program manager (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 10, 2018
Great place to work if you are looking for a rewarding career. Lots of overtime opportunity. Staff training monthly. Great benefits package and PTO. Employee recognition and referal bonus program. Opportunity to learn and grow.
Cons
Short staffed
nice place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 8, 2018
Good place to work. Nice co-workers. Low compensation. High rates for benefits. Nice managment. Stable scedule. Paid overtime. More than enough hours.
Gives me skill and knowledge
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 20, 2018
It is fun to work as a team and help people. I love to work with my individuals every day. I makes me when I help them. Always on time and give special value to my individuals and coworkers. I am very honest.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethesda Lutheran Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight