Bethesda Lutheran Communities Employee Reviews

Working for the good and services for people with special needs
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
I have been working for this company for the past four years without raise. The management is poor and there's no proper regulatory in regards to parents and staff.
Save yourself the trouble
Lead (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 28, 2018
The clients were so precious but everything else was a absolute mess from HR to Management...Dont they are struggling back financially and they pay pennies.
poor work place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIJune 13, 2018
lowest paying company in the industry, poor management, very un organized, lack of care fore employees and supported individuals, not much room for advancement.
Fun, loving and helpful community
CAREGIVER (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 23, 2018
I have enjoyed working for this company. Although it presents some challenges. I’ve discovered the ability to work with people who live with mental disorders.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Having to cover a lot
positive energy and great people
Direct Support Person (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILMay 21, 2018
Overall I like my job and the hours I work. I am just ready for a new career. we have fun while we work and for the most part we work as a team. Our people we support are wonderful people.
Pros
cook and prepare meals.
Cons
sometimes you dont get to go out for lunch
You get to take care of and be apart of someone else's life.
Lead Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILMay 20, 2018
If you are a caring person, then this job is for you. Caring for individuals with IDD is not for everyone but it is very rewarding for those who it is for. However, issues with upper management and the direction of the company was too much for me and I ultimately felt used, disposable and unappreciated.
Pros
The people I support
Cons
everything else
Great job if you're seeking a position in a personal care home.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXMay 19, 2018
The staff was friendly for the most part. However, I didn't like the fact that you don't get to take a lunch break, but it was an overall good experience for a newcomer in the healthcare field.
Horrible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COApril 30, 2018
You will regret working here. Your mental, physical and spiritual well being will suffer!! Not an exaggeration! Do yourself a favor and go where you'll be appreciated.
Once upon a time...
anonymous (Current Employee) –  anonymousApril 24, 2018
This used to be a great place to work. We are constantly being told we have to do "more with less." Everyone is using this term. Unfortunately, this job is about people. The people we support, who rely on us day in and day out to be there for them, and to ensure that they are living the life that they want to live. Cutting so much has diminished the quality of life of people supported, the work life balance for staff, and the overall quality of the programs and support provided. The turn over rate is high.
Pros
PTO and EIB with medical benefits are decent
Cons
Long hours, lack of work life balance, poor pay
Challenging and rewarding place to work
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIApril 24, 2018
Client care in a house setting. Flexible hours in an independent setting. Lots of time to enjoy activities with the clients. Enjoyed cooking and going on walks too.
Very Stressfull
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAApril 24, 2018
No support form the management
Last area director run managed subordinates as his servants.
Managers spend most time finding direct support staff. No help from HR. Sometimes HR will bring substandard employees to show that they are doing their jobs.No follow up from HR. Area director would pressure Program Managers to do maintenance and find contractors to for the house maintenance. Very few QIDP and DSPs are excellent.
Very nice people
Trainer and BSS (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2018
The people who work at Bethesda Lutheran Communities are very nice and really care about their clients. Unfortunately, the salary was so low that it made it hard to pay the bills and just live. As soon as I was able to secure a position that paid a decent salary, I resigned.
Communication is the key.
Lead Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXApril 3, 2018
This place would have been great if everyone communicated and follow through with everything that was planned. I really wish that things would get better for the people.
Pros
Great family atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough structure or communication.
Fun job
Lead DSP (LDSP/CNA) (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIApril 3, 2018
It can be a fun and rewarding (emotionally) place to work. You get to help amazing people live their lives to their fullest. But the pay isn't liveable I lived at home with my parents as I couldn't afford an apartment. The benefits were amazing, but they cost a lot out of your check.
Pros
Benefits, rewarding. Great people
Cons
Low pay
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMarch 16, 2018
I was in BLC for close to 2years. Had a great time working with other staff and helping individuals get things done on a daily basis. There is a lot of politics in the management but that is common everywhere.
Incredible Clients, Poor Management
LDSP (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 12, 2018
I ended leaving the company with an AMAZING manager but, that's where it ended. Her boss wasn't allowing her the help she needed and therefore I wasn't receiving the adequet help I needed. Some days I would help her with her work because she was stretched so thin. Then when I tried to go back PRN in order to help some of the staff that were there because they were so short staffed I was told I was not rehireable without a reason as to why. All of my friends that had once worked with me no longer do just because of how unfairly they were being treated. I miss my clients EVERY day but now I can't even try to go back and give them the love, respect, and care that they all deserve.
Pros
Clients
Cons
scheduling issues, lack of manager training, and management that refuses to listen to staff suggestions
Fun and challenging
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIMarch 5, 2018
I really enjoy my job here and appreciate the people I work for. Everyday is different and unique. I would recommend a job in the field to anyone interested in the medical or hospitality field
cared for develop mentally disabled clients
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 5, 2018
cared for develop mentally disabled clients who were former patients of Fairview mental hospital. daily directing care administrating medication and prepared meals. assisted clients with all daily care as well as getting the to work.
Horrible place to work
Direct Staff Professional (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAFebruary 27, 2018
Worst company to ever work for. The management and Human Resources are unfair and untrustworthy people. I highly recommend anyone to not work for this "Christian" based company.
Lovely mission, poor compensation
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSFebruary 20, 2018
I loved what the company stood for, the clients and the nature of my job. AFTER I put in a 2 month notice to leave my job after not receiving the supports I desperately needed to continue doing my job (in order to have a life of my own), they granted the new manager much higher pay and cut the workload in half.
Pros
The clients and the nature of the job
Cons
Low pay, least supportive management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethesda Lutheran Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight