Bethesda Softworks Employee Reviews

I cherish the time I was there!
Media Content Editor (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJuly 12, 2018
This was one of the most rewarding places I've worked. There was stress and pressure but at the end of the day my team had my back and I had theirs' and we were all proud of the work we accomplished.
Great co-workers, horrible pay
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 16, 2018
Co-workers are extremely friendly, most people get along well and are able to have fun. Pay for QA is absolutely abysmal, based on time spent in the company, starting at what equates to $30,000 a year in an area with one of the highest cost of living indexes in the US.
Pros
good food, free snacks, great culture
Cons
compensation is no where near cost of living
Fast paced video game culture with lots of employee benefits
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 13, 2018
Connect daily with retail to drive sales and marketing for each brand launched.
Physical gaming has become challenging due to the digital conversion but I have enjoyed the opportunity to learn about that piece of the market.
Traveling for trade shows and customer meetings is always a pleasure and adventure.
Management in some departments is some times challenging but overall the company teams are amazing.
Pros
on site fitness center, free breakfast, cafeteria, flexible hours, great health care
Cons
Poor management in some departments, shrinking physical gaming industry making some job obselete
Great company, very little contractor job security
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 8, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Bethesda Softworks and the parent company Zenimax Media Studios. My only complaints are that the contractors tend to be viewed as expendable peons to toss at any problem and then shuffle off to another department. Very few full-time employees made an effort to interact with any contractors regularly.
A fantastic team to work with.
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 5, 2017
If you are looking for a place that values talent, recognizes hard work, invests in the happiness of its employees, provides excellent benefits such as an affordable cafeteria at almost all hours, and a place where you can make lasting friendships in the industry, then this is where you need to be.
Pros
Excellent health benefits cost and coverage, complimentary snacks, drinks, breakfast, etc.
Cons
Pay is somewhat lower than other competing studios, but they are catching up.
Fun and Exciting
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 9, 2017
This had to be the best job I had after college. The people and the atmosphere were great and fun but getting work done was always number one. I learned a lot about finding the problems everybody doesn't see and figuring out different ways of testing which has helped in my way of thinking as a software developer.
Overly Competitive Company with Little Regard for Employees.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 24, 2014
Bethesda Softworks is a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media. Perhaps that is why they have lost touch with the local DC Metro area community. Their corporate structure and competitive drive has led them astray from hiring local, passionate, talented, applicants and has them focused on repeating their tried formula. This has led them to produce many of the same type of Role Playing First Person Shooter type video games, which have become more and more underwhelming as time passes. Bethesda hires only "published" artists, which is problematic for up-and-comers trying to make it into the videogame/technology industry. How can an artist become "published" in the gaming world when no one takes a chance on them? Furthermore, they provide no job security or opportunity for advancement within the company for their employees, both contract and permanent. The work environment is a hostile one for new hires. The supervisors have little patience for error and do everything to inform subordinates of their displeasure, short of out right saying so. A lasting productive environment must be built on teamwork, trust, and encouragement, qualities which fall short for the Bethesda Staff. Employment at Bethesda isn't all bad, the work tends to be fun, when you're not being hounded by someone else, and the in-house cafeteria and gym provide for delicious cuisine, and the ability to burn off those pesky calories. Overall, not the best experience. If you're actively seeking an "in" to the videogame industry, look elsewhere.
Pros
Excellent quality food for employees, On-site gym.
Cons
Poor management, overly competitive, close-minded staff
Operations Coordinator
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 9, 2013
• Subject Matter Expert (SME) in digital distribution managing online commerce for a globally awarded video game developer and publisher.
• Led cross functional teams defining and capturing definitive schedules and plans of execution for online brand awareness and visibility.
• Provided key data analysis to Senior Management and Stakeholders on current projects identifying areas for improvement and further coordination.
• Oversaw strategic advertising campaigns and market research surveys exceeding departmental and organizational goals.
• Assisted the Legal and Marketing teams prior to market penetration nationally and internationally.
• Coordinated and developed day-to-day operations of global digital accounts
• Analyzed, managed, and modified client’s recognition program specifications in alignment with fiscal budgets, work breakdown schedules, and performance expectations measuring Return on Investment.
• Decision maker in issuing Requests for Information (RFI) for analysis of viable digital distribution channels.