BetterHelp.com

BetterHelp.com Employee Reviews

United States329 reviews

platformtherapistcaseloadsessionclientbhflexibilitycounselor

Great flexibility; low pay

The flexibility is great; however, very low pay. It works better if you already have a full time job. This is great for supplemental income; however, it’s more challenging to maintain a household with this position as your primary income.

You are not compensated fairly

The company takes $80/session and if you are seeing 30-35 clients a week you get $70/ hour. However you are a 1099 employee and you have to pay approximately 53% taxes, that’s for me with my current tax bracket. I was working full time so could only could see 5 clients a week so that is $30/ hour so I get less than $15 hour for 2 Masters degrees and a license. It is not fair pay. Also if client needs referral information from another agency, you don’t get compensated for your time. You don’t get support you are on your own and have to figure everything out. It is hard and hardly worth it. Ethically I am keeping my 5 clients but it is charity work for me and I am not fairly compensated for my time, expertise and time. Also they expect you to constantly keep tabs on clients but you are not compensated for your extra work.

Pros

Flexibility and easy to use platform

Cons

Pay

BetterHelp.com insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Flexible, Remote, but Terrible Compensation Rates

The platform itself is very easy to navigate, with only little hiccups here and there. Phone sessions, video, and live chat sessions are offered to clients, along with asynchronous messaging. You get paid for word counts in the messaging (60 words= 1 minute). The support team emails back very quickly whenever therapists reach out for assistance (clients have agreed with the timely responses from the support team, as well). It is very easy to get new client referrals, and the volume of referrals also come in quickly. No start up costs, you choose your schedule and how many clients you want to work with, so it’s basically your own private practice. After the second no-show from a client, you’ll be compensated for 15 minutes worth. The base pay starts off at only $30/h (which increases by $5 every 5 hours you work) and they cap sessions at 45 minutes so if you work over, that part of the session is pro bono. If you are only working part-time, the pay is insulting. If you are a full-time therapist, you have the ability to make a significant amount of money. They also offer a monthly stipend for health related things if you work a certain amount of hours each month. Overall, I enjoy the flexibility and autonomy over my own practice. Since I’m only part-time, the low pay is a hard selling point. Since they cap it at 45 minutes, you lose out on a whole hour of work after only 4 sessions. This wouldn’t feel as impactful if the pay didn’t start out at $30… hopefully they increase pay soon, because otherwise it’s a great platform to work with.

Great place to work- If you have the right mindset going in.

I have found BetterHelp to be a wonderful place to work. People complain about the pay (who wouldn't like more) but they literally do everything for you. You show up, do therapy, reach out to clients, and get paid. I found there to be no shortage of clients. In fact, BetterHelp routinely encourages me to take more, if I can accommodate it. If I can't, that is fine too. They send you regular reminders about connecting with clients. Some may find this overwhelming, but I find it helpful. If I had one suggestion about improving the pay scale, it might be to reward long term therapists a higher pay scale. Perhaps once you reach 1000 hours (or something similar) you move to a higher tier pay scale. I think that would foster loyalty and consistence within the organization. Just a thought. Overall, very satisfied with BetterHelp.

June 17, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience here. We are excited to learn that you've been able to maintain a comfortable caseload for your needs. We appreciate your feedback and all you do for this healing community!

Remote and convenient with flexible scheduling; but sometimes NO CLIENTS NO PAY. RISKY.

Remote and convenient. I love that. What stands out the training is fast and convenient. You will love it if you get clients then you can make more money. The pay starts at 30/35 and goes up not too good.Troubling sometime not to have clients to see so you will have nothing. Wish they could do regular employment so you are sure to have job.

Pros

Everything is in one place and it is remote. You do not have to worry about COVID.

Cons

Clients not available.

June 17, 2022
Hi there, thanks for sharing your thoughts here! We're glad to hear you've found some of the features and experience suitable for your needs. We understand that having no-shows or variable rates of referrals can be challenging and appreciate your perspective here!

Flexible and fair compensation

Since working for BetterHelp I have been able to double my income, reduce my hours at work, and be more available to my family. The draw backs can be isolation due to working from home so you need to be intentional about interacting with others outside of the home. Therapist support also provides quick responses to questions and adjusting availability is easy.

June 17, 2022
Wow, thank you so much for sharing what this experience has been like for you! We are honored to be able to support you in finding a healthier work/life balance and we hope this continues.

Professional and straightforward

A platform that is built for the user and the clients and people who are human and respond to questions that are asked and the level of support on offer and available resources are fantastic. Thanks and well done also that you are constantly asking for feedback to do better.

June 17, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience here. We so value this perspective and it is inspiring to hear that you can feel the humanity within this organization. We would not be here if we couldn't collaborate with the incredible clinicians caring for this community.

You make your own schedule

I love the freedom and the fact that I am able to support myself. I do not like the technical and almost petty issues I deal with constantly. Also wish they would up the pay too.

June 17, 2022
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. We're happy to hear you've found the flexibility of schedule and independence favorable.

Good pay.

Pay is the best part of this job. You are a 1099 so the company doesn't really care about you as a provider so keep that in mind. Compared to other online worksites, I feel this is the best.

June 17, 2022
Thanks for sharing your perspective here. We strive to meet the needs of our therapists and members, and feedback like this is energizing and provides the challenge necessary to keep us driving forwrad in our efforts.

Positive, stress free, and interesting place to work.

I truly enjoy working for BetterHelp. I choose my own schedule, and there is always the opportunity to make extra income when I wish to do so. I love the diversity of the people I get to work with and I look forward to working every day.

Pros

Setting my own schedule, no commuting, interesting clients, paid every week

Cons

The graduated pay scale.

June 3, 2022
What a gift to receive such insight into the impact of this work on your life. Thank you for sharing, and we hope to continue to be able to show up for you as you so compassionately show up for clients.

Low wage job.

Very low pay. Have to work many hours to make a decent salary. No compensation for late cancels or no shows, although BetterHelp is paid for them. Not really a good faith employer.

Pros

Lots of clients

Cons

Very low pay.

June 3, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We understand your concern and are happy to assist you in better understanding our no-show/late cancellation compensation policy. Please reach out to our team at therapists@betterhelp.com so we can ensure you have the information you need to take advantage of our no-show/cancellation policy.

Flexibility

I love setting my own schedule and working with clients from all over the world.BetterHelp is also committed to helping others via providing convenient mental health, and BH does contribute to charities.

Pros

I set my own schedule

Cons

Sometimes the site goes down temporarily and I would prefer having an IT person available by phone

June 3, 2022
Hi there, thank you for sharing your experience here. It's encouraging to hear that the flexibility and convenience of the platform can go both ways, for clients and clinicians alike. Thank you for all you do!

Good for therapists who want something in addition to their regular work.

I have really enjoyed working for BH for the last 6 months. Flexibility is nice. I get to choose my patients. Pay could be better ($30-75 hr-it goes up the more you work). That being said- I make more with BH after I've worked the initial 5-10 hours than I do at my clinical hospital job as a therapist. It's a good way to pull in extra income and you don't have to work with patients you don't feel comfortable with.

Pros

Flexible Schedule, choose your own patients, easy platform, weekly pay

Cons

Healthcare is not offered right away, only when you work a certain amount of hours. Pay structure could be different or better, you need to be confident in your practice because there is very little support clinically.

June 3, 2022
Hi there, thank you for sharing your thoughts here. We're happy to hear you've enjoyed many aspects of your experience so far and we hope that only continues!

great flexibility but low base pay

the best part is creating my own schedule and having so much flexibility. The negative part is the base rate of pay is very low and we are only compensated for 45 minutes, so we end up having to carry a really high caseload to make a decent income.

June 3, 2022
Hello and thank you for sharing your thoughts here. We are glad to hear that you find the platform flexible.

A lot of work for little pay

I am grateful for the telehealth experience; however, the expectation of level of communication felt like I was working way beyond my practice hours.

Pros

There are so many available clients to keep your caseload full

Cons

Low compensation of $30-$70 an hour but they only pay you up to 45 minutes per session

June 3, 2022
Hi there, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. We understand the pay might not be suitable for all, and we appreciate hearing your perspective on this.

Very flexible

This job has been the perfect fit for my part time needs as a mostly stay at home mom of two preschoolers, as it has potential for me to increase hours when my kids eventually go to school for longer hours. It has been a great way to keep my clinical skills sharp without sacrificing the rest of what I am able to with my family. The compensation is definitely fair, as they handle all of the billing, marketing, and website/tech/security! Highly recommend!

June 3, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience here. It's helpful to hear such a specific testimonial! We are thrilled to hear you've been able to create a healthy work-life balance and keep your main priorities in check. We hope that only continues for you!

The Uber of therapy

I have been with this company for three years. A lot has changed and not for the best. I now know five people who left this company and that should tell you something. You cannot call anyone within the company, and if you have any issues they are handled only through only email. You will only get generic responses from the company. You will be expected to interact with your clients daily or your account will be suspended with overdue actions. The session compensation is roughly 26 dollars at the lower tiers for 45 mins. The no show policy is hard to be compensated for and you are only paid for 15 mins, and it has to be two consecutive no shows reported by you. Messaging they claim to compensate you for your time, but do not expect a pay-out that will actually reflect your time and efforts. You are paid by the word and it is incredible low. I would spend an hour sending messages and my payout was closer to 5 mins. I have found out recently that their marketing is very deceiving for the clients. It is very difficult for them to cancel memberships. Clients are baited with trial periods then charged unknowingly. There are better options for online platforms that actually cares about clients and not so sterile.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

burnout, your just a number, compensation is incredibly low.

June 3, 2022
Hello, thank you for this critical feedback, it is helpful to hear from all clinicians and especially important to hear from someone with as much experience on the platform as yourself. We are grateful for your dedication to the platform for these three years, and encouraged by your willingness to share your experience.

Poor compensation

This company does not pay its therapist fair unless you agree to work there full time. And, I found the client load was nowhere near consistent enough to do that. Betterhelp penalizes you by paying you less than another therapist if you work fewer hours than they do. Essentially someone newly licensed can make more PER SESSION than someone with 20 years of experience if they agree to work more hours a week. If you want to work here part-time you can forget about getting paid a fair wage. They exploit their therapist.

June 3, 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience here. We understand this is not a fit for everyone, and appreciate your willingness to give it a chance.

Great company to work for, up to date resources available, company perks and friendly, helpful environment

Great place to work! I can easily set my own schedule which allows me to build my caseload and tailor it to give excellent quality care to the mental health needs of those who are in need of my help. I meet exciting Professionals from different parts of the US and an afforded the ability to collaborate with colleagues in a seamless process. Working here, am able to do what I am trained for, love doing, and help others in the process. Very rewarding!

June 3, 2022
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experience here! We are thrilled to hear that you've found the experience rewarding, and we would be honored to support the continuation of that experience for you!

Lots of perks

As an independent contractor you set your own schedule. You have more time to do what you love…..assist clients and not get caught up in billing and office rent and advertising. Working from home allows you to have a life that you can balance. There are lots of perks as well. Schedule a holiday if you like; free counseling for yourself just to name a few.

June 3, 2022
Thanks for mentioning some of the perks that have been helpful for you! We're grateful to be able to offer some benefits to our therapists because our therapists offer so many benefits to the communities they serve!

Motivated to do what I love to without the things I don't love so much.

I love BetterHelp. After taking a year and three months off for self care, and a severe case of being completely burned out from seeing clients in a face to face in a medicaid only type of setting for 10 years, I stumbled across BetterHelp's online advertisement. At first, I was reluctant to it, but it was honestly the only thing that appealed to me to continue doing this type of work. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity. I absolutely love it! I feel that my clients are actually benefiting from the services they receive, and it's easy for them to attend their sessions. BetterHelp is an excellent choice for clients and therapists alike. I'd highly recommend it for counseling and for therapists seeking a new career opportunity.

Pros

Less paperwork, less office politics, the compensation is great too!

Cons

Internet connection issues, but that can be solved in time.

June 3, 2022
What a wonderful review to read. It is such a gift to hear more from our therapists in this format, and we are grateful to have been an option you chose during an important transition in your career path.

Common questions about BetterHelp.com

Answered by current and former employees at BetterHelp.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BetterHelp.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.4Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare BetterHelp.com with

Learn about BetterHelp.com in popular locations

• BetterHelp.com