Play YouTube video button
BetterHelp.com

BetterHelp.com Employee Reviews

United States54 reviews
Featured review
BetterHelp.com selected this as a representative review
Unlike other e-counseling platforms, Betterhelp gets the therapist right to work in helping clients and their presenting issues. Betterthelp provides a platform where the therapist and client can communicate with each other at great flexibly! The management is very supportive! If I have a question or problem, management responds quickly. The hiring process was smooth and seamless! I really enjoy working with clients and the easy to use platform!
Pros
Flexiblity with time, work from home, the clients!
Pay & benefits
My pay and benefits at BetterHelp.com are better than I expected. It can actually be a full time job for me while I build my in person practice in my area.
The texting platform works very well. The video part worked very well about half the time and had some glitches half the time. The hiring process and the communication from the management was good in my experience. For me, the texting became too much, and I did not feel we were getting much accomplished therapeutically with that format. However, you will probably get a lot of clients and you can set your own hours, which is a plus.
Pros
Easy to sign up and use, lots of clients right away
Cons
All hours access
● Work-life balance
Able to set own schedule for live sessions. Messaging board component can be time consuming.

● Pay & benefits

No benefits as contracted worker. Pay is complicated and low.

● Management

The company is continually making improvements, communicates them well, and does solicit therapist feedback for improvement ideas.

● Culture

The company offers an online platform for therapists to collaborate and to communicate with those in charge of other operations. The company responds to questions through their support team in a timely manner. They have been pleasant to interact with when needed.

● Overall

Flexible schedule. Messaging board can be time consuming. Easy to use platform. Good support team. Online platform for therapists to collaborate. Pay is low and confusing/complicated.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
BH uses skilled clinicians as a marketing tool but do not respect their clinical skills in a meaningful way. The pay is an arbitrary daily limit of 50 minutes or 2500 words, if you go over that you are working for free. My clinical judgement that a client may require a longer session is ignored so either I have to do what I believe is most appropriate or cut a client of at 50 minutes because I won't get paid. I have been working on the platform for over a year but when COVID hit we were inundated with an increase in clients and many people are struggling with increased anxiety. To adequately provide client care it has meant that I have been signficantly underpaid for the time put in. I am working 6-7 days a week to meet the demand and yet only making about 2500 on a very busy month. I have a PhD, working for less than minimum wage is leaving me feeling very dissatisfied. I have worked for other online platforms and what I have experienced is exploitation of educated professionals as a part of the business model. There is benefit in having clients directed toward you but at 25/hr for live sessions it is not a great trade off in my opinion. These platforms do not seem to get that without counselors they will not be able to continue.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay, high caseload, arbitrary pay scale
Talkspace used to be a great company to work for then a plethora of changes occurred over the past 2 years which in turn meant a Significant decrease In pay for therapists. Contract therapists are also micromanaged in an unworkable manner. This platform pulls in a large number of personality disorders too!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Too many
I've worked for BH since 2014. Originally I only worked a few hours a week, but now it has become my primary source of income. BH works well for me because... I can work from home, my schedule is flexible, I can type really fast, I tend to be very verbose, and I am very picky about the type of client I am willing to work with.

The low pay you hear about really depends on three things. If you have a larger caseload, there are bonuses and that effectively bumps up what the hourly pay works out to. Also, it depends on how efficient you are with your time. For example, if you go over 50 minutes during your sessions, you are not going to get paid for the extra time. If instead you use the 10 minutes before the next client to type 500 words you will be more satisfied with your pay. Finally, it depends on where you live. In my part of the country, the hourly rate is not bad for a licensed counselor when you look at commute times and the expectations of being in trainings and meetings that are not compensated for.

I've read a lot of complaints about there not being a sense of community. That can be true of any private practice. There is a forum through BH that helps with this, but outside of that there is a Facebook group and in some states, therapists meet face to face.

It is important to keep in mind that BH is a profit-oriented business that provides a platform. As a business they are not very therapeutic. They allow clients to switch counselors on a whim; they keep stats that worded in ways that can be hurtful to therapists; their standards of privacy are not what professionals
 - more...
Pros
flexibility, work from home, allowed to choose clients in my narrow niche
Cons
low pay
I worked for Betterhelp for about 8 months before I wised up and struck out on my own into private practice. Honestly, I do not - for the life of me - understand why a licensed professional (someone who has gone to school for years, undergone supervision, and achieved a degree that allows them to practice independently in their state and contract with insurance companies) would put themselves in a position where a company like Betterhelp can take so much of their hourly rate in commission. Getting contracted with insurance companies is not as strenuous a process as one might think, and pays at least four times what you'll make as a Betterhelp "employee therapist." LMFTs/LCSWs/PsyDs: you earned a degree that allows you to operate essentially as a doctor in the behavioral health field. Why wouldn't you want to take full advantage of that opportunity? Please don't sell yourselves short.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
ungenerous salary
You can make as much or as little as you'd like with this job. However, it is not typical therapy and you have to put in ALOT of work to get paid. That being said, once you get going and in the swing of things, it gets quite a bit easier and you can make a good bit at it. The technical support could be better, but overall I am pleased with this job.
When I interviewed I never got a call to start. I logged in one day and saw the phrase "Increase my caseload" I got about 10 dings on my phone immediately saying that I have new clients. I haven't been then there long and I have almost 50 people on my caseload. I have requested to decrease my caseload but that request has been ignored and I keep getting new clients. Now my reviews are "My therapist doesn't respond to me." Well how can I with all the people on my caseload? It hurts your treatment in providing effecting counseling. Also everyone wants to do a Video chat. I don't have room in my week or schedule to video chat with everyone. There should be a cap on your client list at certain levels. Please stop adding more clients when requesting to decrease.
I’ve never worked anywhere that appeared to have a clear balance of wanting what’s best for the clients as well as the therapists! They are constantly working to ensure everyone is happy. It is evident that this company is not about money but truly about helping others. Their company name says it all!
People have already commented on the low pay but, frankly, it is worth it to me to not have to deal with insurance companies a pill pushers. The platform allows all kinds of communications and frankly, between the fact that it is anonymous and on computer, I find clients to get much more immediately to their issues than in the face to face office getting to know you situations. Yes, about 25% of the referrals are not serious, but I have found the rest, after doing this for two years, to be really interesting, challenging and motivated clients. I do believe this is the wave of the future however I would say the biggest flaw the company has is in its employee support. They provide boilerplate answers to questions we have and they do not even have a phone number a counselor can call when there is a critical client or billing issue. They need about three times the number of support staff that they have.
They ignore both client and therapist settings for appropriate matches; the ability to decline new clients due to poor match is randomly deactivated; they ignore the "not accepting new clients"- you will get clients you must respond to no matter what you do; despite RESIGNING I am still receiving clients I have to turn away- I feel like a prisoner and Support is useless.
Short time here. I felt very overwhelmed at times. There was always pressure to take on more and more patients. Ethical and safety issues came up a lot. They were critical of my work very early. They would listen in my session without any warning, which is a violation of legal and ethics of my professional violations, I stayed for 1-2 months then moved on and never looked back.
I don't really want to be typing this out right now I don't know why they are making me do this BetterHelp is OK the pay is low but you can work from home
I have been working part time at Better Help for about 6 months, and I really enjoy the work. After working in various outpatient settings, both government and private, for many years, it is rewarding to simply focus on counseling and to be able to reach clients who may have difficulty accessing services in the traditional mental health system. I love working from home and setting my own hours. The downside to Better Help is the pay, which is pretty low for a licensed therapist.
This is not therapy; it’s profit churning for BetterHelp.
You are paid by how many words you write. It’s pretty easy to send a client a worksheet and then turn a profit.

This is a shameful way to conduct therapy.
I feel like the pressure to have a certain amount of "members" that we have to see for therapy is unreasonable. There is an underlying sense of pressure to get back to clients in a short time and also they give feedback on the counselor after one session and that seems a little unfair. It is a little impersonal and that is what therapy is all about...building a therapeutic alliance.
I am a new to Betterhelp. Although I appreciate the flexibility of the position, there are ethical issues with this position. As a provider, i am often assigned clients that are not appropriate for this level of care. If there is a safety issue, we have no way of contacting the client directly and Betterhelp can only be contacted by email. The pay is very low and therapists are not fairly compensated for our work.
They are cheapening and profiting from a field that we work so hard to get licensed in. The pay is insulting! Take back our field and do not work for companies that do not respect our work !
Better Help pays by how many words a client says in a session. If a client speaks a lot, you will make about $30 an hour.. That's the main downside. the clients are good.