BetterHelp.com

Clear
2.5Pay & Benefits

platformtherapistcaseloadsessionclientbhflexibilitycounselor

Low pay, heavy workloads

Have to work 40+ hours a week to make any money. Heavy workload for low pay. Starting at 30$ per hour for the first 5 hours you work and goes up $5 each 5 hours more you work up to $70 an hour. Not sustainable type of a pay structure and it’s unfair pay for the amount of work we do.

Pros

Flex schedules, work from home

Cons

Pay, no benefits, heavy workload

Not worth it

Pay is very low and there is no support. For what Betterhelp is charging customers, it's a shame that they don't pay their therapists more. The company is profiting off of the labor of therapists while paying them less than a fair wage. Don't waste your time!

BetterHelp.com insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Flexible with horid pay

Flexible schedule allows me to see clients at various times of the day. Lots of helpful worksheets and tools for clients. The turnover rate is high because of the horrible pay scale. For 5 hours you make $30 per hr then the next 5 is $35 per hr. The max time is 30-45 mins so to get 5 hours for the first 5 at 30 mins that's 10 clients. Or 45 approx 7. Technically broken down its really like $25 hr. Betterhelp will follow up you get time for messaging after your 45 mins but that 15 mins will equate at $5-8 after you've really spent longer typing. Unfortunately for clients they will wait long periods for therapist because of the turnover or have multiple changes in clinicians or unseasoned clinicians because goodones often change because of the horrible compensation.

Too low pay

I personally don't think they pay enoughIt's great to have plenty of client referrals but its very difficult to keep enough appointments (due to no shows and cancellations) during the week to get the health stipend or make a full time living

BetterHelp- taking advantage of clients and counselors

I signed up to provide services through BetterHelp, as I liked their mission of providing easy, affordable access to clients. I only participate in the part platform part time, so my salary is only $30 an hour. With that said, I was comfortable receiving $30 an hour when I was under the impression that clients are receiving therapy at a lower rate. However, I have learned from clients that they’re charging close to $100 an hour for services. They pay therapist $30 for an hour that the client is paying $100 for; somehow Better Help feels like their time, their referral is worth more than double what a therapist’s time is worth. The therapist, who has graduate degrees, plus. This is not OK. Furthermore, if the session is 45 minutes long, you do not get paid $30. Even though you may be doing notes for the other 15 or more minutes of that hour, you are only getting paid for the 45 minutes. You can be close to making that amount of money without a graduate degree, working fast food in a lot of places. The only people benefiting financially from Better Help is Better Help. Clients are not benefiting financially, therapist are definitely not benefiting financially.

Pros

Working from Home

Cons

Salary, no support- they just copy and paste text from their website for your concerns, even when not appropriate

Great flexibility, okay pay

I love the ability to essentially work for myself, make my own hours, and see the clients I work best with from the comfort of my own home. They have some great perks such as a monthly stipend for full-time counselors who meet the requirement, sending you nice gifts on birthdays and holidays, free lunch/meal for company-wide meetings.

Pros

Flexible, Supportive

Cons

Pay

Great Flexibility and ability to control schedule

I enjoy the flexibility of my schedule and have met a wide range of clients, which I enjoy! The referrals have died down and the compensation is less than desirable.

Pros

Great clients, flexibility

Cons

Low pay and low referrals

Supportive, Attentive, Helpful, Great Money

BetterHelp is the best company I have ever provided therapeutic services for/through. The pay is excellent for clinicians who work hard. My job as a contracted LMHC is fun, exciting, and flexible. The Support Team responds to every problem or question I have withing a day - typically within about 4-6 hours. The platform is user-friendly and reliable. The Clinical Quality team is open-minded and respectful. BetterHelp is literally the best employment experience I have ever had in my 20+ career in the mental health field. The benefits of working here are endless.

Pros

Self-determined scheduling, excellent pay, attentive support team, inclusive culture, the perks/free benefits are remarkable.

Cons

No complaints.

Easy to get referrals but with very low pay

As mentioned in other reviews, it is very easy to link with clients, as there are many people seeking assistance from licensed therapists. However, the compensation for our work is extremely low. This is concerning as clients may pay hundreds of dollars per month; however the therapist only receives a very small percentage of this. When platform issues arise, Betterhelp is slow to respond - overall, there is a lack of support for the therapists - the front line workers interacting with the clients. Therapists considering Betterhelp would be better off investing in themselves and opening their own practice versus contracting through Betterhelp.

Pros

Easy to link with clients

Cons

Very poor compensation, lack of support

The pay is insulting.

They require you to send unnecessary messages to clients more often than is ethical and if you don’t your account is suspended. The pay is very low. If you don’t need money and want to work pro bono and set your own schedule- this is the place for you. If not, look elsewhere.

Pros

Set own schedule

Cons

Pay, unclear policies and procedures, no support

Salary

Good amount of referrals. Flexibility of working from home and manage your own schedule. Compensation could be better according to the job you do. Satisfied.

If you love low pay, you'll love working here!

I have contracted as a therapist with BetterHelp for more than 2 years, and they seem to keep finding ways to not pay what a clinician is worth, with pay averaging $30-$50 per hour (you don't get paid for a full hour when you conduct a session; sessions are capped at 45 minutes). This creates many problems, especially when clients are experiencing a crisis--time, for which you simply don't get paid. Moreover, the first missed appointment by a client isn't paid at all, and each subsequent missed appointment (they tend to miss appointments quite frequently sometimes) is only reimbursed as a 15-minute session. Because of this, I've had to work 5 days a week at BetterHelp and two days a week at another online practice in order to make ends meet financially. Bear in mind that you would still need to withhold your own taxes as an independent contractor. Definitely not recommended. I am seeking other opportunities at the present time with companies, who will pay fairly.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Very low pay, no benefits, very little support from management

Poor compensation and platform problems

Very poor compensation, unstable platform means that you can’t often keep appointments or the video doesn’t work properly. Resulting in lost wages and client frustration.

Very user friendly

Great autonomy, low pay, and complicated compensation package. I love the ability to be autonomous and independent in my practice. At first, the referrals were quick but as time went on, they pretty came to a standstill.As a therapist with 17 years experience, I believe the starting pay is low in comparison to what should be expected. It's hard to figure out the pay schedule.

Pros

Autonomy, User friendly for clients, multiple platforms to provide services (messaging, video, phone)

Cons

Low pay, no immediate support, clients can "disappear" w/o reason (ghosting)

Flexibiity of working at home. Flexibility of hours

it began as a great company to address need of troubled individuals who could not access outpatient services . It especially helped many people during pandemic.When I started they would compensate at a higher rate.That is no longer the case.The compensation is very poor.Additionally the platform quality has decreased substantially. I often experience no screen,voice or blackouts, Company does not address these issues.

Pros

flexibility of schedule diverse clients

Cons

poor compensation. Very problematic site. Poor quality.Many blackouts

Poor compensation

Compensation is poor in comparison to other sites feels very much like CMHC work. The larger your caseload the better the compensation. I didn’t like the lack of transparent pay scale.

Very professional

They have everything checked and covered. There is 24hour support, the pay is reasonable and if you can work more hours it increases every 5 hours. I have met clients from all over the world and helped them through their reasons for attending therapy. BetterHelp support is there if I need it and the flexibility is very good. The app is excellent and very user friendly. I have no overheads no paperwork to submit , no deadlines or targets and very rare a no show because the client pays upfront. Working for BetterHelp has made a huge positive impact on my private practice

Pros

Flexible, no overheads, lots of work available and good pay paid weekly

Cons

You do your own taxes, sessions are capped at 45 minutes, so you don’t get paid if it runs over, that is up to the therapist to begin the ending as the 45m is approaching

Betterhelp is 'just alright'

I am a part-time LPC and while working at Betterhelp gave me flexibility in scheduling, the pay was very bad. If you are a part time provider, this is not worth it. Full-time you can make a decent amount.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Pay

Having a baby this year and it has really helped me earn a living while working from home so that I can support my wife during pregnancy.

There are ups and downs. it is a very friendly platform mostly and easy to use. Pay could be improved from the initial start of the week, but once you get rolling, you get the increase. Venture capitalism no doubt, but hopefully they can adjust the minimum starting rate to begin with!

Very low pay

The compensation model for clinicians is confusing, you do not get paid past 45 minutes a session, clients might need more time in sessions or go over monthly limit so after that you are working without pay, and after taxes your making less than minimum wage if you have 5 or less clients. Every now and then I receive notifications on the number of people seeking therapists and it increases on a consistent basis. You would think with so many people needing a therapist but currently cannot find one they would increase the pay to entice more therapists to sign up for the platform and keep the current therapists.

No EHR and software issues affect an already low pay rate

The quality of patients and the pay rate are inconsistent. Patients have unlimited access to you,so they will text you instead of scheduling the session, which is how you get paid. If the chat or call disconnect, it starts your time over. You could spend 6 hours working but only get paid for 2. You also have to maintain your own records

Pros

No 9 to 5 schedule

Cons

Poor EHR, constant reminders to make unlimited free reply to patients and little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BetterHelp.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.4Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare BetterHelp.com with

Learn about BetterHelp.com in popular locations

• BetterHelp.com