Bexar County
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Bexar County Employee Reviews

United States216 reviews

countyjailsheriffofficerenforcementinmatelawcourt

Government jobs and their red tape

I worked as a vehicle registration teller. Job duties included renewing vehicle registration stickers, transfer vehicle titles and take property tax payments. Positives were set schedule hours w/ weekends off, most coworkers were helpful and friendly, there were parties, potlucks, and contests almost every month, and insurance benefits were pretty good. Difficulties included supervisors' lack of consistency when it came to policies and procedures when transferring titles, which in turn upset customers. You were also required to drive to different locations across the city to help out when short staffed, usually with only 30-45 mins notice. The county is extremely strict on clocking in or out on time, even if it's a minute. The only way to advance was when someone retired or moved to another department. Overall good experience in the Tax Assessor Collector's office.

Pros

Work schedule M-F

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement

Horrible

Poor pay, county politics and no pay raises. No step raises, no one held accountable and no reason to work there. Don’t do it you will regret it. I’m telling you

Bexar County insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Over worked and understaffed

required to work 16 hour days with less then 5 hours of sleep. place is under staffed. They hire 18 year old's who dont have life skills. You need to request 6-9months in advance for time off.

Great retirement benefits

a typical day at work: work non-stop from clock-in to clock-out. management is so bad.workplace culture is not enjoyable.the hardest part of job: arriving and staying until clock out.

No work life balance. Stressful. Little recognition.

If you are a workaholic then this is for you. Very stressful atmosphere. Always in the go and feeling unappreciated. Working long days and sometimes you dont get a day of for weeks.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Long hours. Work weekends. Very stressful job

Long hours and low pay

Long hours with low pay wouldn’t recommend to anybody. You leave tired and beat and unappreciated. Work 16 hours and sleep for 4 and then work for another 16

No balance between work and family life. Management speaks of fixing the work culture and issues but no progress in the last 11 plus years.

I would not recommend this job/career to anyone one that enjoys life and sunlight. Poor communication, lack of leadership initiative, little to no care for staff.

Pros

Food discounts.

Cons

No guarantee pay, long 16 plus hour shift on 4 out if 5 day work week, never know when you'll get paid out on your overtime worked, no breaks while on station, etc.......

Office like setting, time sensitive,

Its a great place to learn good company, I personally feel that the employees need to be taken care of in a better way. There needs to be a little more listening to the employees and what they see going on in the office, then take that and see if anything can be changed.

Great place to work. Everyone has a great attitude and is willing to lend a helping had if you need it. We were off on most major holidays and had paid time off.

Pros

great hours

Cons

parking

Great Place

Great place to work.. can be a place where favorites run things.You will learn a lot about the legal system especially if you decide to move up. Great place to get your feet in the door in the legal system.

Pros

Downtown

Cons

Pay

Overtime

Too much overtime and unable to get time off you also have a lot of stress on you and lack of strong leadership to make you feel like you are doing well overall low morale

low paying

work time not equal to off time or work family balance, no room for improvement unless you are favored or in one of the clicks that do exist, the good old boy system

Pros

insurance

Cons

work family balance

Nepotism and Management are disgusting

Everyone is treated like children. Some supervisors wait at the corner to do a head count. There is always someone bringing snacks in though only missing nap time as the work load is disorganized mismanaged and either is not enough or busy work.

Pros

snacks

Cons

management & administrations

Decent place to work plenty of overtime available

Only good thing available at this job was overtime. Downside was the mandatory forced overtime’s. Managements very poor and will do anything to pin blame anywhere but themselves

Fun and meaningful work

Great place to intern at, especially for those interested in government. The job offered a lot of insight into county government and was very fun along the way

Nice job even if ti was for one day

I worked during the 2020 election for one day at a local elementary. It was nice as I worked as a student poll worker and got paid $13 an hour. I worked as a greeter mainly and met guests and gave them the materials they needed to vote. The ladies were nice but they didn't know I was supposed to be there that day so I had to introduce myself and send them the email I received. Other than that communication blunder between them it was nice!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Can be boring

Not fun anymore

Too many disgruntled officers working ridiculous amounts of overtime. Poor management that dont care. No work life balance at all. Highly stressful but i like working here regardless

Overwhelming forced overtime

I was very proud to be a Deputy Sheriff and the job was awesome for about 12 years. Commissioners Court eventually screwed us on staffing numbers and we became short-handed. We started having to work two double shifts (two 16+ hour days) a week. That’s forever and it’s not going away. Working close to 60 hours a week takes its toll. I retired as soon as I was eligible. You basically work and sleep and you are so tired that you sleep away your days off. Supervisors are a mix off people you would crawl through fire on broken glass for and others are trash. Overall, the job and benefits are great. You will work with some of the finest people in existence. However, the long hours are not worth the toll it will take on your health and it is a burden on a quality family life. I got out while I was still young and my wife and I are very happy now.

Pros

Awesome benefits and quality staff

Cons

Forced overtime - close to 60 hours a week

Good Job Related Experience, poor work/life balance, but good pay.

Roll call starts at 0630 and in the units or job stations by 0700Learned great people skills and conflict resolution.Management tries to work with you but staffing an issue so hard to work with time off and relief.Not a difficult job be kind and level headedThe People you work with.

Pros

pay

Cons

work life balance

Not A Great Place To Work

This place “could” have great potential, but the civilians are EXTREMELY underpaid for the work given, and the morale is EXTREMELY low. Unless you are one to sacrifice character and belittle yourself for the likes of higher authority, you will not be successful here.

Pros

Good schedule (if you’re lucky) and great benefits which is why most stay.

Cons

High lack of maturity

Don’t waste your time

You have to be part of a ‘crew’ and they don’t like outsiders. They will belittle you and instead of helping to improve your skills when needed, they insult you and talk to others about your flaws. Not worth the stress.

Pros

No pros, not even the pay

Cons

The schedule, pay, people working there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bexar County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight