Bexar County
66Average

Bexar County Employee Reviews

United States190 reviews
Jail
Everything was perfect, until they announced forced overtime. Jail supervisors would show favoritism to their buddies and allow them to go home instead of working overtime like everyone else fix
Pros
Advancement, pay, opportunities to move around, learning, classes always available
Cons
Overtime, forced overtime
Excellent on the job training, I learned natural & COBOL programming languages. Management was helpful and encouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the new languages and being a part of the Criminal Justice programming team.
Pay scale
Advancement is terrible and time in service is a joke. Policies are not consistent, pay is at a level basis, effort/job performances are overlooked because everyone gets paid the same.
Pros
Stable paycheck
Cons
Payscale
Not paid enough
They dont pay you enough at all and dont give you a choice on retirement they take money out your cheack automatically.. we work alot of roads and cutting brush and work in any weather
Very good place to work for and the benefits are great retirement is outstanding and the staff is very friendly the work is good and everyone is there to help
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Ok company to work for
There is no diversity and if a non- Hispanic hey promoted they are watched like a hawk by co-workers. Management is not interested in employees complaints or grievances
Great medical benefits
Family friendly staff and officers working together for better future and healthy environment to everyone. Extra hours and long vacations for all employees
Work Environment
An excellent place to work. A new skill that I have under my belt. I have received the best training here and great people to be around. Great career choice.
very stressful and bad management
poor management, poor admin, if you know someone there then you are all set, you will get exhausted physically and mentally, benefits are ok, but MOT and FMOT ( Mandatory overtime and forced overtime) will destroy your family and relationships.
All about the politics
Working here, you have to know people to move up or to be protected. If you don't, then you are subject to harassment, belittling, retaliation, playing hot potato with assignment location, etc. Before you even begin working there, everyone has already looked you up and knows things about you and have made opinions about you. If you're sick, even with the flu or other contagious viruses, they still want you to come to work no matter what, and if you don't they get mad and punish you. Hours are not flexible at all, and very often time off requests get denied, even if you are like me and have FMLA and are trying to take off time using FMLA for your doctor's appointments. Everything is chaotic and disorganized, and when you try to offer any kind of help or assistance in improving tasks, they will deny it because it is not how they have done it for years, and assume you will be trying to take over their job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bexar County?
Good
Interview was thorough. However, I had more knowledge and experience in the field of Animal Control than the Administrators because they were just beginning a new program. They were unable to recognize or appreciate my abilities and expertise. They let me go after I broke my ankle while on a dangerous dog call.
I love the job what I did.
I loved what I did for a living unfortunately it was the administration that were the problem. The morale at this place is not very good and the supervisors are not always appreciative.
Depends on Department/Division you work at.
It depends on which Dept. you work for as it accounts how you will advance and who your leadership is.
Helpdesk, Legacy, System Admin, and PMO teams have it rough

But on the other not ERP/BAIT and Eservices teams have it pretty nice

Other Teams are in the middle having some Pros and Cons working for them.
Awesome place to work.
Bexar County is a great place to work, even if starting out with a temp position or part time. The people and culture there make you want to work there.
If you like incompetence...apply now
If you like incompetence, to be overworked, inadequately paid and managed by people who dont know what they're doing because they have to follow directions from incompetent superiors who are following orders of incompetent superiors, apply now! If you like to be told to do your job and everyone elses and get reprimanded because you are inadequately trained, apply now! The stupid leading the blind. They either make an easy job hard or a hard job harder because someone at the top is incompetent. Work life balance is non existent. Waked in one day and was told by the sherrif that our jobs were no existent and that they would find a position for us in other departments that was a lie! We had to search for the jobs, apply and then interview again when many of us were new employees (High turn over rate) who had just went through that process. They opened the new booking building while we were short staffed, with hundreds of inmates out in the open it is a tragedy waiting to happen. The officers are over worked with mandatory and volenTOLD overtime 16 hr days each. The morale is LOW everyone who works their hates their life. And when the investigations for erroneous releases started the officers got blamed eventhough they were following incompetent directions and policies from incompetent superiors who sat around did nothing but pass the buck and blame. Do NOT work here!
Tough but rewarding
Working with Pretrial was never boring. There was always something going on. Pay was decent but could have been better. The benefits is where the really shined
Great Organization
All my knowledge and experiences and all my skills has and was inquired through this Organization. Always room to advance, great benefits.
I encourage great people to work with and long life friends.
Routine work schedule, yet still unpredictable
With one typical work day is ran the same way as every other day, but can still be unpredictable. Since the work is managing inmates inside of a detention center one day in this job can be significantly different than a different day. From this job I learned a lot about interacting with people and how people think. Managing inmates has had a big impact on me personally because I learned a different point of view than what everyone else thinks. Usually people just say that a certain individual is guilty because they were caught by the police and sent to jail. Many people in the jail are definitely thought of as guilty because of how they act and what decisions they make, but there are also other people inside the jail that may not be guilty. I was one of those people before I worked in the jail that assumed everyone was a criminal or guilty to a certain degree. I found that there are many different people who were falsely accused or were in jail for a very small offense that did not really need jail time. Some people were really poor and could not afford bail so were then stuck sitting inside jail because they had no choice or help. There were also a lot of individuals inside the jail that were victims of mental health problems, and also were subjected to the same treatment. For me, working in this job was not necessarily a negative one. I had a lot of supervisors that were helpful to me and were positive about work moral. It was easy for Jailers to get caught up in the environment and "take work home". I never had that problem but there were many outlets to help jailers overcome - more...
Good job but needed to relocate
I like the work but I needed to relocate. Good benefits and good staff....learned alot.... great training on the loader, skiddster roller, blade and greydoul.....
Great job
I truly enjoyed my 10 years working for Bexar County. Recording department along with staff and coworkers were excellent. Each new day started with motivation from supervisors and coworkers.
great benefits and pay but political atmosphere
Great benefits and pay but administration changes every election year which leaves jobs in jeapordy. Having worked at the courthouse, you have to pay for your own parking.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Elections cause administration changes
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bexar County. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Bexar County Reviews by Location