Bexar County

Bexar County Employee Reviews

Bexar County insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Nice job even if ti was for one day

I worked during the 2020 election for one day at a local elementary. It was nice as I worked as a student poll worker and got paid $13 an hour. I worked as a greeter mainly and met guests and gave them the materials they needed to vote. The ladies were nice but they didn't know I was supposed to be there that day so I had to introduce myself and send them the email I received. Other than that communication blunder between them it was nice!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Can be boring

low paying

work time not equal to off time or work family balance, no room for improvement unless you are favored or in one of the clicks that do exist, the good old boy system

Pros

insurance

Cons

work family balance

Nepotism and Management are disgusting

Everyone is treated like children. Some supervisors wait at the corner to do a head count. There is always someone bringing snacks in though only missing nap time as the work load is disorganized mismanaged and either is not enough or busy work.

Pros

snacks

Cons

management & administrations

Decent place to work plenty of overtime available

Only good thing available at this job was overtime. Downside was the mandatory forced overtime’s. Managements very poor and will do anything to pin blame anywhere but themselves

Fun and meaningful work

Great place to intern at, especially for those interested in government. The job offered a lot of insight into county government and was very fun along the way

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Not fun anymore

Too many disgruntled officers working ridiculous amounts of overtime. Poor management that dont care. No work life balance at all. Highly stressful but i like working here regardless

Overwhelming forced overtime

I was very proud to be a Deputy Sheriff and the job was awesome for about 12 years. Commissioners Court eventually screwed us on staffing numbers and we became short-handed. We started having to work two double shifts (two 16+ hour days) a week. That’s forever and it’s not going away. Working close to 60 hours a week takes its toll. I retired as soon as I was eligible. You basically work and sleep and you are so tired that you sleep away your days off. Supervisors are a mix off people you would crawl through fire on broken glass for and others are trash. Overall, the job and benefits are great. You will work with some of the finest people in existence. However, the long hours are not worth the toll it will take on your health and it is a burden on a quality family life. I got out while I was still young and my wife and I are very happy now.

Pros

Awesome benefits and quality staff

Cons

Forced overtime - close to 60 hours a week

Good Job Related Experience, poor work/life balance, but good pay.

Roll call starts at 0630 and in the units or job stations by 0700Learned great people skills and conflict resolution.Management tries to work with you but staffing an issue so hard to work with time off and relief.Not a difficult job be kind and level headedThe People you work with.

Pros

pay

Cons

work life balance

Not A Great Place To Work

This place “could” have great potential, but the civilians are EXTREMELY underpaid for the work given, and the morale is EXTREMELY low. Unless you are one to sacrifice character and belittle yourself for the likes of higher authority, you will not be successful here.

Pros

Good schedule (if you’re lucky) and great benefits which is why most stay.

Cons

High lack of maturity

Don’t waste your time

You have to be part of a ‘crew’ and they don’t like outsiders. They will belittle you and instead of helping to improve your skills when needed, they insult you and talk to others about your flaws. Not worth the stress.

Pros

No pros, not even the pay

Cons

The schedule, pay, people working there

Jobs at Bexar County

See more jobs

Great pay and benefits but micromanagement is way too much

Great place to advance due to the high turnover, pay and benefits are great but the overtime and micromanagement is what kills you. Due to the lack of deputies some lockdown units have civilians (Temporary Jailers)

It is an exciting job with many challenges.

I am proud to have been a civil servant assisting the citizens of Bexar County in their time of need. I did learn something everyday and I always tried to teach it to others.Management failed to support their team of Supervisors, which in turn caused the Supervisors lose trust in management. This hinders the Supervisor's in trying to do their job.

Pros

The job pays well and they have good benefits.

Cons

Gossip within the department. Lack of respect for Supervisors.

Great temp job

Early Elections Clerk. Pay was excellent and Presiding Judge was easy to work for and with. Would like to work all elections going forward. Great experience. Learned a lot in a short time.

Pros

Pay

Great for Entry-Level

Good place to work for entry level, post-undergrad work. You learn office culture and there are very awesome people you work with...but management is the absolute worst.

Pros

Coworkers, downtown location

Cons

management

Good Start

Not a bad place to get some experience in.! Not bad pay or Benefits it’s either! Just management & administration is poorly structured & could use some newer blood!

It’s not a bad place to work

It’s not a bad place to work I just feel the pay could be more for the work I do the heat is bad but it’s a outside job I just feel the pay can be a lot better

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Pay

Jail

Everything was perfect, until they announced forced overtime. Jail supervisors would show favoritism to their buddies and allow them to go home instead of working overtime like everyone else fix

Pros

Advancement, pay, opportunities to move around, learning, classes always available

Cons

Overtime, forced overtime

Excellent on the job training, I learned natural & COBOL programming languages. Management was helpful and encouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the new languages and being a part of the Criminal Justice programming team.

Pay scale

Advancement is terrible and time in service is a joke. Policies are not consistent, pay is at a level basis, effort/job performances are overlooked because everyone gets paid the same.

Pros

Stable paycheck

Cons

Payscale

Not paid enough

They dont pay you enough at all and dont give you a choice on retirement they take money out your cheack automatically.. we work alot of roads and cutting brush and work in any weather

Very good place to work for and the benefits are great retirement is outstanding and the staff is very friendly the work is good and everyone is there to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bexar County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight