BEYOND BREAD Employee Reviews

Steady, but soul-sucking
Sandwich Maker (Current Employee) –  Speedway and wilmotAugust 19, 2019
I’ve never felt so depressed to work somewhere. The only good thing about it was the managers (all great people, this does not include the GM’s or the owner) and the fact that the long rushes made the day go by fast. The customer base is the worst kind. Working in the kitchen, however, offers a lot of freedom in speech. This was always either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the staff for the day.
Awful Job
Sandwich Maker/Pastry (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 11, 2019
I worked there for 13 months but in the end I had to quit because management gave all my hours to people who spent more time socializing than working.

Also, certain employees harassed me and management ignored my complaints about it completely.
teenager high school job and treat the job how they treat you (joke)
Sandwich line (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 13, 2019
well were can i start at first it was a fun temporary job while going to school didn't tend to leave the job but one of the mangers at the speedway location yelled and cussed at me for cleaning one hour early and forced me to put back everything back in the station even though we had other stations on the sandwich line in front of all the employees very unprofessional and could of easily told me in the office also the same manager would skateboard in the office while we were in rush hour and no other managers were schedule so he was very useless but i see what happens when you give management power to a young kid and the excuse from other managers was he needs the experience what a joke
It was faced paced and very stressful. There were lots of nice employees.
Cashier/Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 14, 2019
The manager are very upset when you are sick and punish you for it. The employees however are very nice. It is very stressful and pace faced and does not have very good benefits.
Pros
Free food when you are working. Discounts on some items when you are not.
Cons
15 minute breaks no matter how long you work.
Good working environment
Front of House/Sandwich Line (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 10, 2019
Managers were good and listened to everyone's needs, most coworkers did their jobs, and there was easy teamwork and collaboration. It became like a family after a certain amount of time, and as long as you did your job, you got raises. If you work a certain number of hours a week, you can be eligible for health insurance.
all in all not the worst pace to work
Front of House/Back of House/Pastry chef (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 10, 2019
I had just come from the worst job I'd ever had and a friend of mine told me to apply here. I ended up working here for a year until I had to move.
Management wasn't amazing or anything but the restaurant was functional and the existence of the corporate office meant that there was accountability between them.
I worked in every department FoH, Sandwich Line, and Pastry and pastry was by far my favorite, I'm not a big fan of the general public so it worked out for me.
you could get benefits if you really wanted them (I didn't) and apparently, they were pretty good so that's pretty unusual for this industry.
If you want to work here try and work more mornings because evenings are pretty boring, and there's not really a lot to do.
Also working here will make you the life of the party because you'll be bringing bread everywhere. My family and friends collectively gained like 100 pounds while I worked here.
10/10 go in and apply at about 3:00 in the afternoon or before 11. that's when it's the least busy.
Pros
free food at every shift
Cons
short breaks, long stretches of nothing
Lazy team, unproductive and too many promises
Sandwich maker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 22, 2019
Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to leave that crazy work place. Only two managers who know what to really do. Hours get cut after awhile. They say they will move you up but nothing really happens. Not a place to work only for kids who just got out of high school
Okay to work with
Front House (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 14, 2019
After getting the job and actually working it was swim or sink. You were never shown what to do or how to do it. There was a lot of clicking up with employee and Management.
Former employee
Sandwich artist/prep (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 2, 2019
What can I say about beyond bread, food was decent if you were making it yourself, there is so much lack of leadership especially coming from management. Management seems to allow the team captains to do what they please any were from yelling at a crew member or verbally abuse a crew member. If your sick they don't care they still expect you to show up to work. Gloves rarely get changed same with knives and hand washing doesn't seem highly important to the staff. The only real decent part was the free meals and bread, some employees made it bearable to be there. If you can tolerate certain employees pointing out your flaws and then to tear you down in front of everyone then this is a place to work.
Pros
Free decent meals, and decent bread
Cons
Lack of management, favoritism, verbal abuse if your not doing something right
Great second-chance job.
Front-of-the-House Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 9, 2019
Beyond Bread took a chance on me and agreed to judge me on my performance and not past mistakes. The managers are professional, the product is excellent, and the atmosphere is fun and comfortable.

A typical day includes working as a cashier, barista, bartender, server, or even catering delivery driver. Additionally, I supervise several front of the house employees, resolve guest complaints, and train new employees. I truly enjoy this.

The hardest part of the job is being on my feet for 8 hours at time and continuing to wait on guests in a super-high volume restaurant, where high quality without sacrificing great service is required. Some days, I literally serve over 300 guests and only get a 15 minute break throughout an entire shift.

Though I thoroughly enjoy working at BB and love my coworkers and regular guests, there is a ceiling to career advancement and the wages are low. I am only leaving BB to work in the legal field as a paralegal/legal assistant.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, great co workers, excellent product.
Cons
Low wages, minimal opportunity for advancement
Fun
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 23, 2018
Fun place to work. It has a good atmosphere is a family-owned business. Only in the Tucson area. It's a place you would like to work everybody knows everybody it's like a big family
Would not recommend them
Front house worker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 21, 2018
Good place to eat not a good place to work. Management showed favoritism coworkers would fight amongst each other on the floor just not a good place to work
some employees are fun and they make work bearable
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 8, 2018
In the beginning it's a very fun and exciting job.
As the years go by, they slowly work you into the ground and bleed you dry sucking out your soul. They expect a ton of work to be done within in 8hrs. If you are short on staff because people constantly call out you are still expected to produce the same amount of food in 8 hrs with just one or 2 people. Most employees are really dirty and lazy and management turns a blind eye to it. I really don't know how in the heck this place always passes health department. I see so many violations in a day and I starve myself because the food handling is absurd. The kitchen, tables, drains, everywhere is filled with bugs, mold and built up dirt from over the years. The managers don't care if your tired or hungry they need that food preped and ready to go by the morning the next day. Slave drivers, dealing with people who are lazy and jokes all the time. They value the lazy people. They are hard on the people who are worth a dam.
Pros
only certain food for employers to eat. only certain bread you can take home.
Cons
dirty kitchens, poor management
Great min wage job for a 1-2 years but dont count on a decent raise, weekends off, or becoming a manager even after several years.
Captain / Kitchen Worker (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 7, 2018
You will meet a lot of interesting people working here. It's pretty laid back but can get really busy especially during snowbird season or on the weekends. Problem is the pay is low, you get no benefits and it's nearly impossible to advance on your own accord alone. There are a lot of minimum wage jobs but this one is the best one I have ever had because the majority of the people are fun to be around. I just wished I didn't stay so long and waste my time with the prospect of a manager position that will never come. Better than working at many other food service jobs unless you want to be manager within a year (or ever).
Pros
Mentally stress free job.
Cons
No room for advancement even after several years.
Standard busy kitchen environment
Sandwich maker and closer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2018
I have worked in many kitchens and of them all Beyond Bread has been one of the better ones. Kitchen work is hard, it requires determination and an ability to shake off mistakes and keep moving forward to be better. You have to be able to ask questions and communicate with your co-workers. Some days will just really suck but having a laugh with the people on your team will get you through it. The general managers always try to be as supportive as they can be, but upper management and the owners do not seem to care as much for their employees as they should, seeing people as replaceable rather then investing in quality training for long term employees. They have a tendency to hire a lot of young males in their late teens and early twenties, the atmosphere can be kind of immature in the back at times. They were in the process of turning some of this around as I left, and of course overall this was one of the best working experiences I've had.
Pros
Free lunch, one free loaf of bread for closing crew, occasionally free desserts
Cons
One 15 minute break for an 8 hour shift, learn as you go training
Quick Paced
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 1, 2018
Unjustified or lack of advancement for many employees. Pay increases are slow to happen in small amounts. Limited amount of free food available to employees. Flexible schedule.
High paced customer service based work
Cashier/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 7, 2017
Working in a restaurant gave me good experience with a fast paced environment. I worked at register taking orders. Also i was a food runner bringing out food to customers. I worked cleaning up the dinning room during business hours and after closing. It was a very upbeat and fun place to work.
Awesome!
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 9, 2016
Becoming an entrepreneur is exciting. It's the American dream. I like the spirit of being your own boss.The process of trial and era is great, in learning the intricate part of becoming successful.
Pros
Success
Cons
fun place to work and interact with people
Sandwich Maker/ Busser (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 21, 2016
Great place to work with people and interact with everyone on a business and personal level great place to expand your customer service experience
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
not enough hours
Great employees and work atmosphere
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 5, 2016
Beyond Bread is a very fast-paced environment and fun to work in. I learned everything I know about bread and pastries there; as well as public customer service in a restaurant. I learned that I am highly capable of learning new and different skills with ease. The in- restaurant managers were very easy to work for, very competent, and care about the employees and customers, as well as the business itself. The hardest part of the job is the extremely low pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fun, relaxed working environment.
Pros
Excellent staff, free bread and food for employees, relaxed work environment
Cons
Low wages, unaffordable health insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BEYOND BREAD. Our community is ready to answer.

BEYOND BREAD Reviews by Location