BGC Partners Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Sale traders have a lot of freedom and initiative to drum up business
Global Macro Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
Very flexible working hour as sales trader earns 50% of what you harvest in the market place. Friendly and congenial place to work. The office is conveniently located in Jersey City.
Pros
Allow personal initiatives and independence
Cons
overly regulated iwth compliances
Great place to learn
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2018
Great place to grow. Fast-paced environment and team based culture, things get done quick. Overall company takes care of their employees very well. Would recommend.
Management is very poor
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 10, 2018
Management is very poor. No one cares about your advancement or how hard you work, it's a man's world in this Memphis office. Such a sexist leader, it is awful.
Pros
new office
Cons
management
Poor Managment
Junior Global IT Finance Analyst (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 2, 2018
They are not concerned with building a succeful business. They downgrade systems, demote managers to cut salary costs, have tons of temps but have them work as full time, not the place you want to be.
Pros
Non
Cons
Nearly Everything
Productive but not enough staff
Market Data Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2017
I work from 8:00 to 4:30 my job is enjoyable, but we are so under staff, that there is too much work for one employee to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the coworkers I work with as they have taught me a lot for the past year I've been there and I enjoy working with them.
Financial Intern
Financial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2017
This was a good experience to learn how the business world worked. Helped teach me about the financial markets and Bloomberg. All of the employees were very helpful and willing to help me throughout the internship.
Fast paced work culture
IT PMO Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2017
A great financial services company to work for with the growing business merger and acquisitions, it is a great place to work for and to learn........
Great internship, learned a lot
Summer Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
I interned for 9 weeks in the IT department of BGC Partners, and I loved every minute of it. The employees understood we were there to learn and gain experience, and they made sure to assign interns meaningful work. My boss was fantastic...even if he was busy (which he often was) he made time to talk to me and answer any questions I had. Every one I worked with was friendly, incredibly smart, and genuinely wanted to help us interns have a great time at BGC. The company stresses the importance of communication and good working relationships, and it really showed during my time there. Additionally, while I worked in financial tech I was more interested in financial legal/compliance as a career, so my supervisors set up a meeting for me with their compliance department so I could learn more about that field. I definitely recommend this internship to any college student with even a mild interest in finance or technology.
Financial and Real Estate Company
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2017
- Designing, implementation, troubleshooting of remote offices which included office moves, re-designs, equipment and network upgrades for newly acquired companies. Worked with various teams (Network Operations, Windows/Unix, Voice Networks, Network Security, Facilities) to complete these assignments.
- Day to day support for overall network (troubleshooting, changes, tickets, and various projects for both foreign and domestic).
Productive Workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2016
• Creating a performance review system to analyse the performance of the domestic currency in the world economy on daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
• Guides cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; recommending actions. Identifies financial status by comparing and analysing actual results with plans and forecasts.
• Recommends actions by analysing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses; studying proposed changes in methods and materials.
• Formulated comprehensive industry and company investment reports and recommendations with current and recent updates for submission to domestic and foreign retail and institutional clients
• Applied knowledge of systems and application design to assist technical development team in creation of effective software solutions
Not a place for young talent
Dev Customer Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
A lot of senior folks with many years invested in the firm have a lot of knowledge but everything is run old-school. Management is unprofessional and there is little to no room for advancement.

Technology is very poor. Systems go down all the time and most of us do not even have functioning (or any) laptops/cell phones.

The benefits are average to below average. Again, if you have no other options then BGC is a stable choice. However, if you are qualified to go elsewhere, please do.
broker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2016
Worked for twenty years is 3 different locations in lower Manhattan. I
worked in the financial markets in option markets during this time.
Extremely beneficial and organized internship.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Extremely beneficial and organized internship. Learned a lot and partook in projects that I have never done before. Great environment and great group of interns. Free lunch and breakfast. Was exposed to a variety of different desks.
Great Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2015
Face paced and always surrounded by great, hardworking people. Great atmosphere as well. Team building and projects were key, and I always looked forward to them.
bad place/bad people
VICE PRESIDENT / INSTITUTIONAL TRADING (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2014
bad people
want to stab u in back

smelled
gross

be careful with accounts
Pros
clean
Cons
most
Just awful
SVP INTEREST SWAPS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2014
They have a bad reputation and do not seem to want to want to change it.
Their legal department is their most important, which says a lot.

The health care is expensive and the higher you are the more you pay, even subsidising other employees, surely your staff is what makes your company and its in your interest to look after them.
Cons
Bad bad management
Reputable firm
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2014
Typical brokerage firm. I was an intern so I basically just observed. Intense workplace at times
Hard working atmosphere.
Vice President of Sales & Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2013
Sell US Treasury trading platform to various trading participants.
Develop a "Thick Skin" for Corporate Careers
Broker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2013
BGC Partners is a learning lesson. The culture is centered on closing deals with little time spent on company morale. BGC has high employee turnover. Individuals learn very quickly in this "sink or swim" environment.

You are part of a team whose sole responsibility is raising the bottom line. Management will do everything they can to maintain this perspective.

Salary raises are hard to come by, unless you are showing activity in a job search outside of the company. If you want to get ahead, you have to manage the company like you would a client in order to close a deal.

The hardest part of the job is balancing your work like with your private life; separating the way people act in the office from the way people act in everyday life.

The best part of the job, is closing the deal when your back is against the wall. You develop a "thick skin" that serves as a protective attribute for your future pursuits.
Pros
fast paced, learning environment
Cons
work-life balance, morale, raise procedures, company contract
Fast-pacing competitive environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2013
As a summer intern for BGC Partners, we had the responsibility of assisting the broker on daily trading activities. We went through a 10-week rotating schedule and learned about different financial products.