BH Media Group Employee Reviews

Not ideal but Great for Experience
Multi-Media Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 26, 2018
The job at BH Media was loosely managed, with little to no focus on how to treat their employees. The sad part is they are very money centric and failing to meet the job stat-line leads to being cut-throat. VERY HARD to work yourself into having a client base and this leads to failure of maintaining a job.
Pros
Free lunches at times
Cons
No focus on Employee welfare
Poorly managed company
Copy Editor/Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 4, 2018
I spent the first couple of years with the company at the large design hub, then transferred to an individual newspaper. Workplace culture varies depending on the site, but bad management was evident everywhere. Unqualified people were retained in management positions, while experienced and capable people were laid off to cut costs. As a result, employee morale was very low. There are no raises unless you get a promotion or transfer to a larger market, so your initial offer is all you should ever expect to make. Also, health care costs went up every year (effectively an annual pay cut).

I learned a lot about newspaper publishing, but only through observation, as management had little interest in employee growth or respect for the legacy of the publications being produced. The workload varied, and was sometimes unreasonable for the number of people working that day and with respect to deadlines.

The buildings I worked in were poorly maintained. At one, we endured 6 weeks without air conditioning in the summer. At another, there was little security despite the building being downtown and a block away from a major transit hub. There were also problems with air quality, climate control and rodents.

Unlike at some newspapers, I did actually have 2 consecutive days off every week, and you do get a fair amount of vacation time. There is some flexibility with hours, provided you get the work done. Do not expect to be able to work from home, though, as the company has no interest in making that a viable possibility for most employees.
Pros
Initial wages are competitive
Cons
Health care costs, no raises, unhealthy working environment, incompetent managers, company has no vision for the future
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NESeptember 3, 2018
A typical day can be fast paced and you are always learning new things. Customers can be hard to deal with at times. I like the people I work with very much.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Angry customers
Not worth working there
Retention Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 25, 2018
Favortism. No benefits. Cut hours a lot. Dialer repeat calls the same people 2-5 times a day. They take 50% of commission if you fail your QA bonus...
Pros
Potlucks
Cons
favoritism/stressful/not enough hours/ no benefits
Good work environment, average compensation
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 23, 2018
I enjoy working at BH Media Group in the IT department. I am given the opportunity to learn new technologies and expand my skill set. The management team is great and I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Accounting department has not structure.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAAugust 20, 2018
No structure in the Accounting Department. My supervisor did not want to hear any other way of obtaining information that would speed the processing time in half. It was her way or no way. Bottomline this company was not a good fit for me.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
37.50 work week
Great place to grow and learn
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 16, 2018
The leadership put a lot of time and effort into growing the skills of the team. The sales training program is great and I have used many of those tactics to help grow my future teams. They are doing the best they can to change with the world culture but are still seeing decline. They are open to ideas for change to facilitate growth but it's a slow process.
Pros
lots of opportunity for development
Cons
slow execution of change
Nightmare
Packaging (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 14, 2018
Just A Waste Of Time Working Their. Very Over Worked An They Don't Care If You Have To Be Home For Your Family. I Don't Like The Fact That You Are Not Allow To Leave When Your Time Is Done An If You Do,They Threaten To Write you up But Your Shift Has Already Ended......
Pros
Good People To Work With
Cons
They Tell Lie's
No days off
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKJuly 28, 2018
BH Media would be a great place to work as long as you're in the office and not the field. I had 8 days off in 11 months putting in 70-90
hours a week paid salary, put over 60,000 miles on my personal vehicle within a year. The newspaper industry is becoming a dinosaur.
Pros
Good district manager
Cons
Having to use your personal vehicle
Workplace culture
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 27, 2018
Workplace culture was fun - birthdays were always a celebration and able to have perks like going to sporting events. Everyone was easy to talk with.
Great people, all are under paid and over worked
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 24, 2018
If you are fine with 4 days off spread over 3 months and working 80hr weeks, this job is for you. You will also need to be able to keep a vehicle in good mechanical shape and have a back up vehicle. I worked for them for 3 months and put over 16k miles between 2 vehicles.
Allows me to decide what I want to photograph
Freelance Photographer (Current Employee) –  Marion, NCJuly 11, 2018
Allows me to decide what I want to photograph And helps to enhance my skills as a freelance photographer. Also opens the door for other opportunities within the community I work in.
Great company - great people!
Marketing Consultant / Free Lance Star (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 10, 2018
Enjoyed the team. They were very helpful and health minded. They were family supportive. They would supply tools needed to help you succeed. Management was easy to talk too and very supportive.
Pros
They are part of a Fortune 500 company.
Cons
None to offer.
Management was not good
Digital Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 24, 2018
Do not leave your present job for a job at BH Media
Liars to the max Poor management They do not know how to generate new business. Programs are not always set up correctly
Management does not want to help advertises fix issues
They are interested in money for services regardless of how they work.
Pros
Good Location Plenty of good business prospects
Cons
Management lies about you. You can get fired on a whim
Moving in the right direction
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 1, 2018
The newspaper industry is advancing into digital media as fast as it can, There is a learning curve, and it can be painful, but the corporate management is working hard to train existing employees. There is some ageism on the part of local management, as "technology is for the young", but for those willing to learn, advancement opportunity is there.
Pros
recognition, flex-time, wellness benefits
Cons
stressful
Not a bad place to work, but it could be a great deal better.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 28, 2018
You don't get raises at this company. They recently took away a nice benefit of two twenty minutes breaks. I used my breaks to walk and stay active, but now that isn't possible. Which is strange for a company that promotes wellness.

If you have dependents, then this company may work well for you. However, if you don't then you won't be happy there long. Presently, I am a graphic designer, so I can only say the department I work in is good. The job overall is ok, again, it could be a great deal better if they are looking for loyalty amongst its employees.
Poor Leadership, lack of job sevurity
Advertising Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, VAMay 17, 2018
The general atmosphere is seemingly very nonchalant on the surface, but there is always a sense of turmoil and unrest underneath. There is a distinct lack of leadership and too much bossing.
Pros
Good Benefits, good amount of time off
Cons
low pay, lack of job security
Client Services and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 28, 2018
Employees are appreciated and praised. Training programs are in place for career advancements. BH Media promotes good health and screenings. New ideas and suggestions are commonly sought but implementation of a new idea is seldom and slow. Technology is outdated.
Pros
Caring managers and promotion of a healthy lifestyle
Cons
Insurance is expensive with high deductibles
No job security, get used to lies
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 4, 2018
BH Media purchased newspapers simply to squeeze them for every little bit of profit, then will throw them away. They have no vision for the future, they've cut newsrooms to the bone, which makes it impossible to compete with other media companies. Don't take a job here, it will be temporary. They promised no layoffs in 2018, and guess what, they lied.
Pros
nice people
Cons
no raises, no security, lying management
Run from this company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 1, 2018
Training is a joke.
Hostile work environment, management threatens your job all the time.
No organization.
No customer service.
Newspapers not delivered.
Ads are messy
No employee raises.
No employee reviews just write ups.
Too many errors in the paper.
Pros
Got another job
Cons
Everything they told me when interviewing for the job.