BH Media Group Employee Reviews

Relaxed workplace
Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 20, 2019
As long as the work gets done the managers dont mind you goofing around a little bit. Happy people work better than people that are forced to be working.
Retention
Retention Representative (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 21, 2019
During hiring process I was given 3 different start dates because they had no trainer available. I am very clear on clean desk policy, but have never worked were you couldn't store your personal items in a desk. Management shows favoritism, one supervisor clearly shows their disdain when you request assistance
Pros
I've developed friendships with very few of my coworker, there are people that run and tell if you're eating a cracker at your desk, . You're not to wear tennis shoes but it's obvious that applies to certain employees and not others
Cons
Stfling environment, angry customers, mainly because they've paid their balance but continue to receive calls after payment posts, systems very outdated
I liked my job there. The hours were good for me as a second job.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 18, 2019
My supervisors in telemarketing were awesome. I was terminated because I accidentally forgot to lock up my cell phone. I knew the policy, but it was an accident. Seemed kind of silly to terminate a good employee for something that could have just as easily been a write-up.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
To much office politics between departments.
Outsourced Management to Lee Enterprises
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 4, 2019
Very little company direction or future plan. The company is a mess, very little communication from Lee Enterprises, resources stripped to the bone, no support for employees.
Cons
Controlled by a competitor or BH, probably going to be sold.
A good first job
Page Designer/Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 20, 2018
This is a good first job to have, but ultimately not a place you want to work for longer than a few years. The pay for an average employee is not fair for what they are asked to do, and management is extremely resistant to change/suggestions from "lower" employees.
Must be a part of managers favorites
CSR (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 2, 2018
If the director or supervisors don’t like you, they will find a reason to terminate you. They just fired 3 people for no reason. They have their favorites as well as agents they dislike. They also have spies on the call center floor reporting back to them every thing agents talk about. If they don’t like you, they will keep you at part time The team leaders do nothing all day and act like you’re bothering them if you have a supervisor call. Managment allows this to go on. Racism is apparent from the higher ups. Poorly run call center. The girl in charge of attendance spends her entire day gossiping about agents. One supervisor never comes to work, but still has a job.
Pros
Occasional pizza
Cons
No benefits no raises, stressful emvironment
Not ideal but Great for Experience
Multi-Media Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 26, 2018
The job at BH Media was loosely managed, with little to no focus on how to treat their employees. The sad part is they are very money centric and failing to meet the job stat-line leads to being cut-throat. VERY HARD to work yourself into having a client base and this leads to failure of maintaining a job.
Pros
Free lunches at times
Cons
No focus on Employee welfare
Poorly managed company
Copy Editor/Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 4, 2018
I spent the first couple of years with the company at the large design hub, then transferred to an individual newspaper. Workplace culture varies depending on the site, but bad management was evident everywhere. Unqualified people were retained in management positions, while experienced and capable people were laid off to cut costs. As a result, employee morale was very low. There are no raises unless you get a promotion or transfer to a larger market, so your initial offer is all you should ever expect to make. Also, health care costs went up every year (effectively an annual pay cut).

I learned a lot about newspaper publishing, but only through observation, as management had little interest in employee growth or respect for the legacy of the publications being produced. The workload varied, and was sometimes unreasonable for the number of people working that day and with respect to deadlines.

The buildings I worked in were poorly maintained. At one, we endured 6 weeks without air conditioning in the summer. At another, there was little security despite the building being downtown and a block away from a major transit hub. There were also problems with air quality, climate control and rodents.

Unlike at some newspapers, I did actually have 2 consecutive days off every week, and you do get a fair amount of vacation time. There is some flexibility with hours, provided you get the work done. Do not expect to be able to work from home, though, as the company has no interest in making that a viable possibility for most employees.
Pros
Initial wages are competitive
Cons
Health care costs, no raises, unhealthy working environment, incompetent managers, company has no vision for the future
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NESeptember 3, 2018
A typical day can be fast paced and you are always learning new things. Customers can be hard to deal with at times. I like the people I work with very much.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Angry customers
Not worth working there
Retention Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 25, 2018
Favortism. No benefits. Cut hours a lot. Dialer repeat calls the same people 2-5 times a day. They take 50% of commission if you fail your QA bonus...
Pros
Potlucks
Cons
favoritism/stressful/not enough hours/ no benefits
Good work environment, average compensation
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 23, 2018
I enjoy working at BH Media Group in the IT department. I am given the opportunity to learn new technologies and expand my skill set. The management team is great and I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Accounting department has not structure.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAAugust 20, 2018
No structure in the Accounting Department. My supervisor did not want to hear any other way of obtaining information that would speed the processing time in half. It was her way or no way. Bottomline this company was not a good fit for me.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
37.50 work week
Great place to grow and learn
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 16, 2018
The leadership put a lot of time and effort into growing the skills of the team. The sales training program is great and I have used many of those tactics to help grow my future teams. They are doing the best they can to change with the world culture but are still seeing decline. They are open to ideas for change to facilitate growth but it's a slow process.
Pros
lots of opportunity for development
Cons
slow execution of change
Nightmare
Packaging (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 14, 2018
Just A Waste Of Time Working Their. Very Over Worked An They Don't Care If You Have To Be Home For Your Family. I Don't Like The Fact That You Are Not Allow To Leave When Your Time Is Done An If You Do,They Threaten To Write you up But Your Shift Has Already Ended......
Pros
Good People To Work With
Cons
They Tell Lie's
No days off
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKJuly 28, 2018
BH Media would be a great place to work as long as you're in the office and not the field. I had 8 days off in 11 months putting in 70-90
hours a week paid salary, put over 60,000 miles on my personal vehicle within a year. The newspaper industry is becoming a dinosaur.
Pros
Good district manager
Cons
Having to use your personal vehicle
Workplace culture
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 27, 2018
Workplace culture was fun - birthdays were always a celebration and able to have perks like going to sporting events. Everyone was easy to talk with.
Great people, all are under paid and over worked
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 24, 2018
If you are fine with 4 days off spread over 3 months and working 80hr weeks, this job is for you. You will also need to be able to keep a vehicle in good mechanical shape and have a back up vehicle. I worked for them for 3 months and put over 16k miles between 2 vehicles.
Allows me to decide what I want to photograph
Freelance Photographer (Current Employee) –  Marion, NCJuly 11, 2018
Allows me to decide what I want to photograph And helps to enhance my skills as a freelance photographer. Also opens the door for other opportunities within the community I work in.
Great company - great people!
Marketing Consultant / Free Lance Star (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 10, 2018
Enjoyed the team. They were very helpful and health minded. They were family supportive. They would supply tools needed to help you succeed. Management was easy to talk too and very supportive.
Pros
They are part of a Fortune 500 company.
Cons
None to offer.
Management was not good
Digital Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 24, 2018
Do not leave your present job for a job at BH Media
Liars to the max Poor management They do not know how to generate new business. Programs are not always set up correctly
Management does not want to help advertises fix issues
They are interested in money for services regardless of how they work.
Pros
Good Location Plenty of good business prospects
Cons
Management lies about you. You can get fired on a whim