BHcare Employee Reviews

It's a cult
Employee (Current Employee) –  Everywhere CTMarch 15, 2019
BHcare at first seems like a nice agency out in the "valley". But in reality its an agency ran by middle-aged housewives who have nothing else better to do than meddle into everything and complicate simplistic things, like the time-clock system.

There are no men, people of color, or person's with disabilities working in the corporate office.

Run from this place. The same way you probably wouldn't want to work in a ghetto, dirty, sleazy environment, is the same here - who wants to work in a cult?
Pros
Free food your first day (it's a trap)
Cons
21 days of Personal time to last for 90days. You cannot use any time until after your 90days.
Leadership challenges
None (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTSeptember 10, 2018
The organization's mission isn't aligned with the organization's leadership. Senior leadership is unable to self-reflect. Therefore they are not self-aware of their antiquated management styles. As a result, they are micromanagers that are unable to see themselves.
Pros
domestic violence services
Cons
micromanagers, antiquated management practice.
Highly supportive of clients on need
Part Time Accounting Cash Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ansonia CTJune 6, 2018
I enjoy working at BHCare, yet opportunities to work more hours do not exist (without joining the organization on a full-time basis). As a result, I am seeking a position that is more challenging and offers a few more working hours per week.
Housing Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Branford, CTApril 28, 2018
BHcare is a wonderful place to work!! The employees are friendly, supportive, and genuinely show concern for the clients enrolled in the programs. BHcare is a place where an employee can truly grow and remain productive!!
Very poor management at harp program
Lead Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Branford, CTFebruary 5, 2018
The company itself is amazing!!! I went into a different department and I am leaving because of the management. Very unprofessional and creates a hostile work environment amongst the staff.
Official response from BHcare
February 15, 2018

Thank you for believing in our organization and our mission. We strive for exceptional leadership and management, and as such we provide professional development and learning opportunities for all of our staff to help reach that goal. We appreciate your feedback, and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Great starting job
Domestic Violence Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Ansonia, CTAugust 6, 2017
Wonderful starting job - amazing experience
Helpful with getting Domestic Violence Advocate certification
Can get confusing in shelters, but other staff is extremely eager to help
*you work at shelters by yourself*
I loved my job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTJuly 12, 2017
Excellent job, Supervisor was excellent. Staff was great to work with. We were team players and that made the job more comfortable and easy to work with.
Youth Care
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ansonia, CTJune 26, 2017
A typical day at work. Client's are easy to get along with and motivate to do what to do. Not a lot of paperwork entail. Manager is confused about how to run program.
Case management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTMarch 4, 2017
The work load is heavy and the pace is fast. The co-workers are great. While the day is packed with work having control over who you see and when helps. Hardest part is the pace and the juggling of tasks.
Pros
Nice to schedule your own appointments
Cons
Very fast paced.
Caring and organized company with wonderful co-workers and management.
Per Diem Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTDecember 30, 2015
Great place to work, flexible schedules and a variety of different programs that help the community. The residential programs are clean and well staffed.
Great work environment
Recovery Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTSeptember 18, 2015
BHcare was a great place to work when it was Harbor health services. After merging with another agency it seemed to be much more hostile than it was before the merger. It seemed as if it was more of a take over than a merger.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
limited resources
Growing company, flexible supervisors, non-profit environment
Community Support Specialist - ISH (Current Employee) –  Ansonia, CTJuly 19, 2015
The pay is not the best but the people are good people doing a good job to service a population less fortunate. Supervisors are flexible and the benefits are decent. Pay could be better but its the trade off for flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility, extras
Cons
pay
Great mental health and domestic violence service provider
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Ansonia, CTJanuary 14, 2013
Great company to work for if you are in the mental health or DV field. Really good for the work/life balance. Salaries are on the low end, but typical of most non-profits. Really enjoy working with the staff and the women in our safe house to support their journey to a violence free life. It can be hectic & challenging, but a great learning experience!
Pros
great people & company culture
Cons
low pay, little room to advance
Diverse and dynamic residential programs.
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTOctober 15, 2012
Diverse and dynamic residential treatment program. Opportunity for creative implementation of interventions aimed at specific program results. Management team highly supportive and encouraging of staff.
Pros
never a dull day.
Cons
24/7 on call (especially during winter storms)
Nice environment, lots of nice people.
Mental Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Ansonia, CTAugust 27, 2012
The hardest part of the job is having to do the never ending paperwork and having less time to help the clients. A typical day begins with paperwork and after that visiting my clients in the office or in their homes. My co workers are very nice and it is a pleasure to see them five days.
Pros
nice comfortable environment.
Cons
compensation is not equal to the work we do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHcare. Our community is ready to answer.