Bi-Mart
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Bi-Mart Employee Reviews

United States362 reviews

martstorecashierretailpharmacycustomerdiscountregister

work was great but leadership was rough

The job itself was super easy and relatively enjoyable. I often worked different positions in store throughout a shift so it made the day go quick. The customer base is a bit tiresome to interact with and will not hesitate to harass you or make inappropriate comments towards you.Unfortunately, the store is always understaffed and often ignores those who choose to neglect their job. So those who take on extra work and positions burn out quickly and are never acknowledged for having taken on additional workloads. They also expect the store to be your #1 priority. The store is located in a college town and often hires students but does not seem to like to work with them on scheduling and workloads. I saw many of these kids struggle with balance and were often put down by leadership for not being available and/or prioritizing their school work. The overall workplace really puts down their coworkers and is very individual centric. Older employees often put down younger employees with the guise they are "not performing to the same standard" while they themselves often neglect key aspects of their own positions. So a warning if you are looking for a team position this is probably not it.

What is the best part of working at the company?Amazing company! Great benefits and a family atmosphere 😊What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The customer clientele is a bit demanding at timesWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Family oriented. Great people to work with. What is a typical day like for you at the company?I have a great time at working at Bimart. Haven’t had a bad day yet. The biggest struggle is finding good employees that are reliable and dependable.

Bi-Mart insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

A creative position and mellow workplace!

I haven't seen a lot of reviews for this particular position, so I thought I'd give my impression of it!All in all this is a very enjoyable job, and I often look forward to seeing my coworkers and our customers that come in. Out of all the jobs I've had, I think this one was my favorite in terms of coworkers and our customer base. Most employees working here are older than 25, so you tend to work with confident and mature people. It's very refreshing compared to jobs that have a lot of high schoolers. There's virtually no gossip or drama between coworkers, which makes it a very mellow choice. Management is very approachable and kind, which makes them easy to talk to and rely on for help.This position is less of a strictly janitorial/cleaning position, and more of a jack-of-all trades position. In addition to cleaning, I've participated in customer service, maintenance, and the biggest surprise to me, cashiering. By nature I'm a very shy person, and scared to talk to strangers, which is why I pursued this position in the first place. Cashiering itself is simple, but unexpected errors tend to make me nervous and flustered, especially when handling money is involved. If there was one thing I wish I knew about the job going in, I would have liked to know cashiering occasionally (maybe once every other day for at least 10 minutes, but up to an hour on busy days) was one of the duties expected. I don't believe it was ever outlined in the application or during the interview when reviewing duties- but maybe if it was, I probably wouldn't have applied in the first place and missed -

Pros

Great coworkers, feel like part of the community, engaging but uncomplicated tasks

Cons

Not informed about cashiering duties during application/interview process, frequent full-time days for part-time position

What is the best part of working at the company?The people What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working with a bad managerWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Mostly family likebWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Go all the time … too by much work to little time

coworkers are great people, pay is very low

Coworkers are great people, but management is terrible. Management is more worried about satisfying corporate whims than actually implementing useful changes. For example: putting out Christmas freight when Halloween isn't even all out on the floor yet is ridiculous.

Pros

coworkers

Cons

low pay

Poor communication

When I worked at the store I constantly had issues with scheduling. I would give them plenty of time in advance to know when I needed a day off and then the schedule would come out and have me working the day I needed off. A lot of the issues come down to the poor communication in management. Anytime you try to talk to them they just direct you to someone else and nothing ever happens.

Work your butt off to go no where

You work your butt off to go no where in the company. Others take credit for your work. If you file a complaint to management it goes no where. They say they will do something but , never goes anywhere.

Love my coworkers

Great coworkers, management could use work. For an “employee owned” company I don’t feel like employees really get a say. Tip to management, if you stand up for your employees we would be overall happier and less stressed. Outdated equipment as well.

Okay

A typical day includes stocking all the hardware items for hours on end while trying to help customers. It feels fun at first, but not so much when you are understaffed and can’t completely finish before the day ends.

A paycheck

It's just a paycheck, not long term. Lack of respect from manager which causes stress, frustration, disconnect and at times toxic workplace. Wouldn't recommend.

Poor Management

I worked there for almost 90 days as a floor manager. If you want to take a trip back to the 70s and 80s work here. They do nothing to help their employees get their job done efficiently. The 1st assistant and the store manager are never on the same page. They mostly sit in the office. Career advancenent ? Sure if you want to have no balance between family and work. This place is a joke. It starts from top to bottom but beware this is retail and it matters who your store manager is. Dont work for the one on 40th!

Family friendly

The best job I have ever had. They care about the employees. They also care about family. Management listens to the employees and the company really believes in career advancement.

Fun place great staff

Working at this Bi-Mart was my favorite all-time job. All my coworkers were so nice and helpful. This location made sure to put customers first which always kept them happy. Amazing management who truly cares. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a local fly problem due to a dairy farm. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who treat each other like family.

Backwards Retail Philosophy

The company micro-manages each store. The store I was at had unpleasant backbiting, and mean co-workers, and the DM keeps changing directives, but pretends you just didn't execute correctly, nor on-time. The company is technologically behind by about 20 years. The retail model isn't for everybody. They are very promotional so merchandising setup and take down is constant, like the drive aisles have constant changes and frequent planogram updates. Backroom freight management is problematic because Bi-Mart likes to reduce its square footage of their buildings by using a loft for freight. So you have to move that freight back and forth constantly, up and down a conveyor belt. They purposefully make the backrooms small to encourage pushing freight to the floor, and into top stock. The space management aspect is time consuming and tiring since you find yourself moving freight like a puzzle to get it all into the building and onto the floor, then up into the loft. Filling outs is a manual process of walking the aisles, creating a pick list, and then going into the back. They are a very slow to grow company and very, very tight with money. They own every building and do not hold debt. When I was there they did returns by hand and used a calculator to determine tax. Very low tech accounting and inventory management. The Inventory process on the backend was a lot of pencil, paper, math, calculator use. They relied on an onsite bookkeeper that reconciled all the receipts, vendor invoices, etc., lots of paperwork. Tedious and old school. The drawers were counted out at night using -

Great place to work. Great management

Bi mart is a wonderful place to work. I have many friends there still. And come to visit them. Bi mart encourages growth in the company, with plenty of training and patience. Some stores are busier than others. But this store is busy most of the time, and I enjoyed it.

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours

Cons

No smoking area

Good/Bad its point of view

Most people start as cashiers or Hardware. While busy cashiering/customer service is easy. Other than that the day is spent maintaining the store and moving/stocking products.The main issue is safety. A investment in powered pallet jacks for moving very heavy pallets around the store on uneven terrain to prevent injuries, Sealing the sidewalls of the cargo trailers so you don't get slivers, Bi-mart has switched cultures from family owned to a private board. You can feel the stress at the store level. Keep in mind each store is a little different. I would not recommend this job to friends or family.

Pros

Fair scheduling

Cons

Benifits, ditribution of work, safety

Good environment

Pretty good work environment but people leave often leaving the company understaffed. You need to be able to work fast paced to be successful with this company.

It is an entry level job!

My time at BiMart was ok. The employees seemed nice; unfortunately while I was there everyone was stressed due to understaffing issues.It is a learn as you go job with a day or two of training to start you off.The pay is not great, but it is an entry level job, you do get employee discount after 90 days. There seems to be room for advancement if you put in the effort.

What is the best part of working at the company?Seeing and visiting with my neighborsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The manager and cashier manager - they are very nit picky that you follow many of BiMarts antiquated rules.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Competitive old school- many employees have been there 10+ yearsWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Boring- was relegated to stand at my checkstand for 8 hours - no stocking, no helping with any of the other many tasks I am qualified for

It's a job

Not the worst place to work but not the best. Their systems and policies are out dated. And like many corporations you're nothing but a number and there is no feeling of caring from management. They pay decently and provide ok insurance. If you need a job go ahead and work here. If you're looking for a fulfilling job where you feel valued look elsewhere.

Good place to work; staff is helpful;

The daily routine for a cashier is simple; providing excellent customer service at the register is your main focus from the time the customer stands in line and until their merchandises are bagged and the cashier thanks the customer for shopping at Bi-Mart. What I appreciate is the fact that change is verbally counted back to customer, and not just handed to a customer. During my short time at Bi-Mart, I thought the temporary store manager had a tendency to talk down to employee, instead at the employee. I was not told during the interview that cashiers had to bring in grocery carts from the parking lot. Otherwise I would not have accepted the position.

Pros

Breaks, Lunch breaks, Friendly and helpful workers, flexible schedules

Cons

Store Management; Grocery carts;

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bi-Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Bi-Mart with

Bi-Mart reviews by popular job title

• Bi-Mart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?