Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Found 1,003 reviews matching the search See all 1,004 reviews
wonderfull place to work. highly reccomend for first job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Lorenzo, CAAugust 19, 2019
wonderful place to work. highly recommend for first job. amazing culture and decent management. tedious customers at times but overall not a bad job. great learning experiences
Horrible
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 17, 2019
The managers are horrible! They all act like your typical man. (Most) They flirt with the women staff, and if you reject their advances your hours get cut. Its ridiculous! Oh and don't go to complain to HR or the supervisor because all he does is talk to them and they keep their job but your hours get cut to one day! Staff is a joke! Managers are stupid. And the pay is horrible! If you live with mom and dad and have nothing to pay you can work here, but if you own your own place you can't. They won't ever move you up in the company or even hire you full time its all years of waiting I should have quit sooner
Okay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canby, ORAugust 16, 2019
The job is good but between low pay and high turnover it is most definitely not a career. In my three years all three managers have been replaced and the part time staff has changed half a dozen times.
fast paced and changing rules...
Warehouseman / Dock (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 16, 2019
If you like having an ever increasing work load and supervisors that play favorites than work here.
If you like rules that change so that write ups happen and then go away, than work here.
If you like the we are right and you are wrong mentality of upper management than work here.
Fun place to interact with customers that involves outdoor activities.
1st Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAAugust 12, 2019
Can be fast paced or very slow but you can always find something to do.
You help parents outfit their children for any sports and also educate them on many options they have for their children.
A good part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85015August 12, 2019
Unload truck items onto sales floor, put away go backs, clean/organized your assigned areas, greet customers, offer help to satisfy customers, be professional
Excellent Workplace, Bad Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMAugust 10, 2019
The hardest part of the job was the pay. Wages were not negotiable nor competitive. The only reason for leaving the job was for unfair pay. The store itself is very friendly and relaxed, managers are understanding and respectful. Most duties were reasonable with the occasional heavy lifting task. The store is the most welcoming retailer I've ever worked for.
Fast and fun, heavy-lifting required
Part-Times Sales and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 10, 2019
A very good company to work for, especially for first-tie job seekers or students. Fast-paced, supportive, and always with some weekly project or display needing to be done. Hours are flexible, and the pay rate is fairly competitive (depending on the role).
The hardest part of the job would be the weekly inventory delivery from the Distribution Center - if you can survive that, you can survive anything.
Great company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 3, 2019
I worked at Big 5 for 10 years off and on. They were always happy to welcome me back. It was a great job for someone going to school and needing flexible hours. I went through the management training program and was made an assistant manager. Unfortunately I had to undergo surgery that made it difficult to do any kind of lifting and had to leave. I would have stayed if I was able to preform the tasks needed of the job.
A job where employees take their work seriously.
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 1, 2019
This job was fine besides the extra things that I needed to do. I was asked to pick up homeless camps behind the building and clean up heroin needles.
Cons
Short breaks. Feels like a day is 16 hours.
It was decent experience
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 1, 2019
Big5 was a slow paced position. Management was never on sight and too many people in the same department that had different titles. Didn't have much to offer in growth.
Great first job
Main Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 1, 2019
The pay here sucks. Even if you're a team member of the management team. Corporate fails to acknowledge your worth. Their raises are between $0.07 and $0.15 at a time. It's a joke. HR doesn't take complaints seriously. I once had a new manager that made changes to my schedule while I was on vacation, out of state, so he can go on a mini vacation. I ended up getting in trouble somehow and suspended because of him. He did not contact me to make me aware of the change. Which was approved for months in advance before this new manager arrived.He also did the scat same thing to my other manner and he too was out of state at the time. They ended up firing him after some racial incidents and after he fired a bow and arrow through the wall.
Full-Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJuly 20, 2019
Love working here! People in the company are amazing and truly recognize the employees. If you love being around guns and great people i recommend it.
A Fun Environment But Not a Stable One
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJuly 18, 2019
As most retail sales jobs, the hours vary and are not supportable to an independent person. Advancement is easy if you prove yourself valuable and knowledgable in particular areas. Do not have to be knowledgable of all sports/sporting goods in order to work there, however, it is advisable as they do question you upon interview.
Chill job and met new people daily
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 18, 2019
Worked in shoe department during my time at Big 5. Really chill job that required you to go up to customers and ask if they needed any assistance. I would suggest shoes and mention any on-going sales.
If You're Comfortable in Retail You'll Be Comfortable Here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJuly 12, 2019
Easy job, but training was terrible - basically thrown in and expected to do everything a normal employee would on day two. Management rides you to get things done without communicating between managers. You'll have a set task to do when you come in but they expect you to do pretty much everything else too. You can get written up for things you didn't do or did do, depends on manager.

Overall typical minimum wage retail slave job.
N/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAJuly 9, 2019
It was cool. Gets busy at times but overall a great vibe. Thank you to big 5. I would recommend this job to young teens. Management is pretty cool as well.
Productive/ fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carson City, NVJuly 8, 2019
It is a very fun place to work. Perfect for first time workers. Nice people and customers. Learned more about shoes working there then when i first got there.
Sucky Managers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 8, 2019
The job is fine, boring but fine. The managers didn’t really care about anything or cared too much. Some managers would trash talk their employees. It can be a toxic environment. It seems like the only way to get on their good side is to kiss up. Not by actually doing your job well. It’s an unfortunate place to work if you have bad managers.
Flexibity of Scheduling and Hidden Policies
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2019
- The best thing about while working for Big 5 Sporting goods were the flexible hours, which allowed me to be able to adjust my schedule accordingly and allowed me to attend college classes.

- The worst thing is the hidden policies that are not written in the employee handbook that they present to new hires. For example, I am a male and I had a small ponytail that was just past my shoulders. In the handbook it only states no unnatural hair color or hair styles, the last part being vague, but still understandable. For my first year there, there was never a problem with my ponytail. One day, district manager comes in, sees me, and says I have to cut it because male employees cannot have their hair grown past their shirt collars. I stated what is written within the employee handbook and he counters it by saying not all of the policies are in the handbook and there should have been a poster in back about dress code and appearance in our break room, which we didn't even have. Our "break room" was a narrow space of the stock room the width of a bedroom door and only one person could fit as the space was also used for, of course, storage space for things like chairs and canopies.

- On that note, the second worst thing is the lack of actual break rooms where employees can comfortably have their breaks and meals. All they are is just small spaces of the packed stockrooms with one or two chairs, a table, and if you are lucky enough, a mini fridge and microwave that takes up even more of the already cramped space and table.

- Sales associates are not properly trained by managers
  more... about products, resulting in being unable to help customers, losing business, and overall reflecting poorly on the company. The only "training" that is provided is cut dry, outdated videos. And once the video is done, the information is not able to be accessed again by the employee. No hands on explanation or demonstrations for greater details or if something is still unclear. Essentially, hired and told to go sale stuff like a child being tossed into the deep end of a pool and told to swim. Employees who care about doing a good job must devote what should be their own time free of work relations into independent studying.  less
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
No real break rooms, Lacks adequate training of products, Hidden policies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight