Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 11, 2018
This is a great job for part-timers. It's also a job that may turn out to be a long time job. It guarantees benefits and a career. However, people must have patience to move up in the company.
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 8, 2018
Big 5 was a good entry job for me to get into sales. Interacting with a variety of customers on a daily basis improved my communication skills, confidence, and sense of pride in my work.
Worked as a shoe salesman
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAMarch 8, 2018
This job is very simple. Customers ask for shoes in a certain size, and the shoes can be found in storage. We measure the customers shoe size, and provide them with the shoe they need. Closing duties are to simply 'face' the store, restock the aisles and to close the tills.
Pros
good location
Cons
minimum wage, boring workplace
typical day
Sales (Current Employee) –  El Monte, CAMarch 7, 2018
assist customers. stock items. You occasionally get a small project to keep you busy, but the customers you help in between your project really helps time go by faster.
Pros
can be quiet.
Cons
customers can be impatient.
Very good job for people with little or no experience.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 7, 2018
This job is a good job if you are attempting to get work experience. It is not difficult. You learn to tend to customers as well as follow instructions from a superior. If you want to move up in the system to management positions, they will gladly put you on that track.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Inconsistant schedules.
Nice work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAMarch 6, 2018
Only had two workers at a time got stressful and bad hours. I would recommend if you want this to be your first job but the lines get long and mangers will help sometimes.
Loved it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAMarch 3, 2018
It’s a great place to work for beginners and is a nice job overall. The people you work with are really nice and the customers are usually pretty nice as well.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Little hours
Happy energetic work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 2, 2018
Lots of different merchandise that could appeal to anyone. Lots of similar interests with fellow employees. Sometimes your needed to carry very heavy objects including punching bags.
Pros
Very easy work
Cons
small break area
Productive workplace with great management
Sales Associate / manager in training (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZMarch 2, 2018
At Big 5 a typical day was spent helping customers find products and answer any questions they might of had. I also had to unload the stores inventory truck every week. I also was responsible for cashier duties as well. The management was great they listened and helped the associates in anyway they needed.
Pros
Great discount great staff
Cons
Short breaks uncomfortable dress code
very fast pace but very nice and fun staff
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92507February 28, 2018
i was very open with supervisors and management. great people. union representatives were a little too rough on us always having high productivity numbers. but overall great place to work for

Want to know more about Big 5 Sporting Goods?

Ask a question
good stress free environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton, UTFebruary 28, 2018
If your good at sales and costumer support then this is a great company to work for. Very stress free and management is very helpful and professional at both training and helping you with any questions you may have.
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAFebruary 23, 2018
management was friendly and caring. they understand workers needs outside of work. the only thing that i did not like about big 5 in general is the dress code. i am not the only one who thinks that big 5 employees should dress more accordingly to what the company is about. having to dress in slacks and dress shirts with dress shoes does not give the best impression that an employee knows much about sporting goods
Interesting environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 22, 2018
It was interesting working with apparel I've never done that before. It does become very repetitive. Same thing over and over again. The job though honestly want that bad.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 19, 2018
With great management and staff the workplace is enjoyable and extremely productive each day. It does require great multitasking skills as you do have to juggle customers and your own projects simultaneously.
Always work
case pick (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Good job I went from walking & picking shoes to walking & picking sports equipment. After 2 weeks they moved me to the electric pallet jack and had me picking weights. One of the best jobs I've ever had. I wish I didn't have to leave
Uneasy Manager
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  NevadaFebruary 15, 2018
I liked working with Big 5 until management switched up. Seems like ounce that happened all of my fellow coworkers just kept leaving. I'm not saying your experience will be like mine again I enjoyed working at the beginning. If the manager makes your life miserable than the job is no longer fun and appealing.
No teamwork, stressful colleagues
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2018
Long days on your feet, no breaks, and poor management. Although the job itself was poor it did teach me skills in sales and communication as well as dealing with management and colleagues that made the job more stressful.
Productive and great atmosphere.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Big 5 Sporting Goods is a fun and great place to work. You learn a lot about different sports either from ones you already know and customers help you learn too.
Pros
great staff and atmosphere
Cons
Some people show favoritism
Productive and beneficial
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAFebruary 9, 2018
Enjoyed the day to day store operation, great workplace culture with good employees, great benefit plans and discount. More personal interaction with customers, and management team.
Pros
Great item discounts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, WAFebruary 6, 2018
Working at the big 5 location I was at was very stressful. There were a lot of parts of the job that I did that was not included in my job description. And most of my co-workers were lazy and never did their jobs! I would be the only girl on shift and they men that were on management would deliberately wait for me to be free to make 200 lbs carry outs for customers because they were too lazy to do it.
Pros
N/a
Cons
dirty break room, a lot of work and not enough pay, poor management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight