Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Fun entertaining work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 13, 2018
Big 5 had slow days and busy days. On the slow days you would do projects and talk with your coworkers, on busy days it is strictly customer service and sales. But more often than not you would stand around and talk hunting, shooting, fantasy football, or other sports with your coworkers.
Pros
sweet discounts
Cons
payroll sucks so rarely recieve more than 25 hours per week for part time
Big 5
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 12, 2018
. It was a great company to work for. I enjoyed every part of my job as store manager. The benefits were great, the culture was great. did an excellent job.
Pros
Benefits pay
Sports Authority
Assistant Store Manager, Big (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoyed this job as well, I oversaw customer service, sales and inventory. The Management was easy to get along with and the staff was awesome. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
fun experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAJanuary 11, 2018
i enjoyed my time with Big 5 I loved being a manager and learning so much about sporting goods. The fast pace was exciting i enjoyed coaching teaching and training the associates
Professional, but fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 10, 2018
I learned to interact with customers in attempting to sale items, communicate with other employees as well as mangers, and how to structure my schedule to accommodate for school work as well. The workplace culture was very serious, but relaxed at the same time. Managers had high expectations of workplace performance, but were able to keep it light at times, which eased the stress. The hardest part of the job that I experienced was performing the weekly "shoe flip" that consisted of alternating all of the shoes on the floor with shoes that were to go on sale the following week.
Pros
Relaxed, professional experience, fun
Cons
Short breaks
Ok work place
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 10, 2018
I would say this would of been a great work opportunity but no room for career advancement... I was hire on with the belief that I would be manager in less than 2 months but not true...the main manager had been there for 17 years and they lead me to think he would be relocating somewhere else and needed someone to take his position... needless to say he still is there.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No career advancment
Would work there again
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJanuary 7, 2018
Good owners. great place to work. fun and friendly environment to work in, with great owner to employee communications. Would recommend them to anyone
Slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Business is slow, lots of daily tasks to do, very strict management, cleaning up around the store, hours are very short, small store, lots of shoplifting customers
Fun and relaxed workplace
Cashier and Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 5, 2018
Typical day involves helping customers with various products and completing small projects. At my particular store, we were located next to a train station which made us prone to shoplifting and the occasional crazy person.
Pros
Relaxed enviornment
Cons
sometimes overstaffed making it hard to get hours
Sales
SALES | BIG 5 (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 4, 2018
This was a temporary job which I worked while attending college. It was a good experience. I gained customer service skills and improved my communication skills.
Productive and fun
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 3, 2018
A typical day at work was from 8am to 5pm ringing up the cash register, while cleaning up my place of work and helping he customer when they needed help.
Pros
Right next to food places, Nice and fun staff members
Cons
Short shifts
Supportive and flexible atmosphere with good management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJanuary 3, 2018
Depending on the Big 5 store that you apply to, the overall management will be fairly decent. I have the opportunity of working with supportive and kind coworkers who I have built
professional and friendly relationships with. The staff are patient and always push you to be the best that you can be in your position. However, this job is usually fast-paced, so you will have to adjust to working under pressure.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, supportive coworkers, understanding management, flexible hours
Cons
Unstable hours
Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 2, 2018
When asked for help none was received. Was forced work alone when there were 5+ customers waiting for shoes while you were in the back looking for another shoe. I learned that at this store it wasn't well managed. Management would just stand around talking, the Store Manager would stress everyone out.
Fast paced work environment
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 2, 2018
Very productive setting. Fast paced and can be stressful at times. Teamsters union job. You have to be a hard worker or you won't make it. Management won't bother you unless your production is low. Steady fast pace and concentration is the key. Can't make excessive mistakes.
Pros
Union job, 15 min breaks, 5 sick days, 2 personal days and 1 week vacation first year
Cons
Tiring, swing shift
Sporting
Cashier, customer service, stocking inventory (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZDecember 30, 2017
At Big 5 sporting goods a typical day is usually stocking, helping customers and doing whatever is needed. i have learned how to cash out customers, stock, price tag and many other things. The hardest part of the job is learning the different kinds of areas there are and what we have in store. You have to get to know what they sell so when a customer asks if we have that product you can direct them.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Horrible hours
Good environment
Sales Representative/Assistant Manager, Big (Former Employee) –  Thatcher, AZDecember 30, 2017
Big 5 has a good work environment and good people to work with and for. Like any company it has it's exceptions with the people, but overall great people.
Overall Work Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CADecember 29, 2017
Overall the experience at Big 5 Sporting goods was a hostile work environment. If for any reason they call you to work and you politely say no they will punish you and give you less days to work. Overall I just want to leave this place. Do not get me wrong my coworkers are great but the managers may need some readjusting. And I would like to have a set schedule not just one that they randomly make each week.
Pros
nice coworkers, 10 min breaks
Cons
managers, less workhours, small pay
Fine for students, not fine for full-time
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 27, 2017
Big 5 was a fine place to work while I was in school but, after that, seeking full-time employment was near impossible. While the other employees were fine, the corporate structure at the top was dreadful. Additionally, it is the least environmentally conscious place I have ever worked: no employee recycling bins, constant paper waste, and the impossibility of changing these things due to the corporate structure.
Pros
Willing to work around school schedules
Cons
Non-state compliant work breaks, limited hours
enjoyable but stressful at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CADecember 27, 2017
working at Big 5 was enjoyable but stressful at times. Excellent co-workers. /enjoy doing customer service and sales. There was always team work. It was a great experience for me after 12 years of being a stay home Mom.
Pros
Great people
Cons
not enough hours
Old fashion way of doing things
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CADecember 27, 2017
Everything done in my store was an old way of doing things, from labels to how things are stored and stocked. These old ways of doing things made the job hard on top of having to assist customers during load ins, and being chastised for not finishing all actions because of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight