Big Boy Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Overly Stressful, Poor Training, Rude Coworkers, Sexist Managers
Server/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIAugust 12, 2018
All female servers and all male cooks/dish. Fighting every shift between other waitresses about stealing tables/ stealing tips from tables. The trainers didn't teach me everything I needed to know then when I was on my own gave me a "figure it out yourself" attitude but stilled yelled at me for preparing things wrong when it was my first time basically winging it. Managers will make extremely rude comments about your appearance then say it's a joke.
Pros
50% discount on mehh food
Cons
Everything else
Poorly ran company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 12, 2018
Company made up their own rules and then said it was against the law while breaking the law with employee personal information. Stay away from this company if you want to be a manager. You will get screwed in the long run.
Best place to work for them is at the corporate office because you get short hours big money.
Pros
The customers and employees
Cons
Area coaches and corporate employees.
workplace culture
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MIAugust 1, 2018
It all depended on who the shift manager was regarding culture in the workplace. When I was the shift manager everyone was happy with their jobs and wanted to work to produce product. Other managers were stressed out by every little detail and I have learned to role with the punches and deal with thing in a way that it does not alarm the workers or the customers in the store.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Attitudes of workers and other managers
Okay place
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Clio, MIJune 6, 2018
It's an okay place to work. It only got really busy on Sunday mornings and some Friday nights. I only hosted, but the waiters seamed to like it beter than the host.
Ok job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Johns, MIMay 31, 2018
It is what it is. Nothing great, nothing terrible. I only worked there for a short period of time because they hardly gave me any hours, low pay, and it was too far away.
Pros
Can work in different areas
Cons
Fast paced, not that great of management
not exciting
Server (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILMay 20, 2018
I liked working there but it was a bit boring. If it wasnt located off the interstate, we would never get busy. The owners are great people and so were the employees.
very steady pace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 1, 2018
I like working there. I have learned more about restaurant life than I knew previously. Love the people there and training employees that have never worked before
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no break
The customers made it worth it
Server/Cashier/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIApril 18, 2018
Working at Big Boy for 7 years was a joy! I got to meet new people everyday and had regular customers that were like family. Staff was easy going and easy to get along with. Made alot of really good friends from working there.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
Big menu to memorize
Stress
Server (Former Employee) –  Imlay City, MIApril 2, 2018
I worked a lot to help out with the short staffed problem. I spent more time at my job than I did with my kids and I had to work every holiday and whenever they needed someone to fill in then when I asked for a day off or had to call in they would give you guilt trip or get mad.
You get written up for frivolous things and your job threatened. They say they work with you on a schedule but do what they want anyway.
They don't trust you and it shows. Will never go back.
Big Boy
Cook and Server (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMarch 26, 2018
It was an entry level type job that allowed me to work while in high school and have some spending money and pay for bills. Serving the customers or cooking in the back.
Family like environment
Production/host/cashier/customer service (Former Employee) –  Washtenaw County, MIMarch 23, 2018
It was a great place to work, however it was time to move on. There is only so far you can go working in the restaurant business and part of my reason for leaving was because i landed a much better oppurtunity with working construction.
Pros
free lunched were definetly the best
Cons
managers were irritable
I love working here
Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, MIMarch 23, 2018
I love working here coworkers are amazing...the cooks are super friendly...and I love the mangers. I've been working here for about 5 months now and I still love it. If you need a part time job then this is the place for you
Pros
Half off all meals and free drinks
Cons
Not really any breaks
Not a job but a boot camp
Server (Former Employee) –  Clare, MIMarch 5, 2018
Well the great thing about being a server was that you got to meet new people on a daily basis and you got to get to know your regulars. You learn all kinds of things as a server. However the down fall is that nobody communicates. Nobody is ever on the same page about anything, and most of the time the managers are just as lost about stuff as the rest of the staff. Things I personally think need a drastic change at this store on particular, if they don't I don't see the store staying open much longer.
Pros
Discount on and off the clock
Cons
Breaks? What are breaks?
Productive workplace.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 2, 2018
At Big Boy Burgers they always make sure what needs to happen, it happens. Very nice staff, always clean. Great place to work. super friendly and always caring.
Horribly ran executive corporate office, restaurant itself was ok
Employee (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 26, 2018
The executives at the corporate office are a joke and are literally running what was once a great business into non-existence. Regional leaders are worse, potted plants could do better. Bad company to work for
Pros
Nap time for managers, dating your employees
Cons
The corporate office employees and executives
Horrible coworkers and management
Server (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, MIFebruary 23, 2018
Managers talk about you behind your back, make fun of you, are not kind about family emergencies or traumas. Particularly unprofessional when it comes to most etiquette in restaurants.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Rude management, shifting hours, constant belittling
Did not like it
Cook (Former Employee) –  Belleville, MIFebruary 16, 2018
The management was alway high on drugs Im just comming from high school I should have not been subjected to that. Other then that a great place to work.
fun to work at but no career advancement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, MIFebruary 11, 2018
fun to work at but no advancement. poor management and no opportunities for advancement. local customers are rude and perverts and management does nothing to help their young female waitresses from harassment from customers.
Pros
half off lunch if you're working
Cons
no healthcare, few breaks
Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIJanuary 30, 2018
Good managers, willing to work with you. Overall a fun place to work. Fast paced environment, keeps you busy. Managers are fin to work with. Food is good, cooks are excellent and make sure food comes up fast.
Pros
Half price break meals
Cons
Poor tippers
Not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 23, 2018
I worked there in 2015 so it could be wildly different now or maybe not. I got paid minimum wage and I never got a raise in the 8 months I worked there and most of my coworkers at the time were very rude.