Big Boy Employee Reviews

Nice family type atmosphere.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIDecember 3, 2018
Management was poor, but treated the employees very well. A typical work day would assigning job duties to everyone. The work culture here was that everyone worked as a team and got their jobs done.
Pros
Free food
Cons
no other benefits
This company is not a nice place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MI 49512November 6, 2018
I was hired in as a Manager for a new store that was opening soon. The stores I was sent to train had good management and staff, but I started noticing a trend of all people important to the company lived at the store so much they were all divorced.

At my own location after opening. daily work was the normal trying to keep labor cost down first and foremost, so most days this meant a manager had to cook, run the store, plus all other duties of orders, cash, schedules, ect. because all the hired help had to be sent home.

The people from corporate were a mix of helpful and abusive. This writer would personally work from open to close often from corporate ether scaring off or firing staff faster then it could be hired and usually not close to trained. I averaged 90+hours a week. The pay was nice but I worked to much to see it. The stress can cause you to need daily medications for your blood pressure and depression.
Pros
I had a job and could call myself the boss
Cons
no days off, no breaks, stress, and corporate causing hostile work environments.
fun place loved my customers
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHJanuary 7, 2019
poor management,loved my daily customers and other team mates.i looked forward to going to work . the management was very poor and needs to learn how to treat the workers with more respect and know what is going on in there building .when there are drug deals and drugs going on and u say something to what you see going on and nothing is done about it
Pros
loved my customers
Cons
poor management
Terrible place to work
HOSTESS/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 19, 2018
I honestly had bad days everytime i went to work. Management never let you out on time, they had bad attitudes all the time and were very rude to everyone. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude people but you get through it and just give them the best service possible. My favorite part about coming to work were my coworkers, i loved them like they were family.
Pros
100 percent off break food if you work over 4 hours
Cons
the management
Unorganized and Stressful
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Defiance, OHSeptember 17, 2018
I had applied part time as a high school student and had clearly stated I was participating in sports so I could not work until later in the evening or some days at all. I would be scheduled everyday until 11pm as PART TIME. not full time. Management was ridiculous. The only thing I learned was that being "on call" meant you were supposed to call at 5pm and ask if they needed help rather than they call you.
Makes me feel unvalued
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MIOctober 23, 2018
Managers are rude waitress are always complaning the building is falling apart. You can work your hardest and then some and it's not enough. They will promise advancement but it's just an empty promise.
Pros
Food discount when you come in with your family
Cons
Feel unappreciated no room for advancement
hard working
Wait staff, food preparation (Former Employee) –  East Tawas, MIJune 7, 2018
big boy was a good experience learned something new everyday, learned to keep up with others,management worked harder than most workers, work place culture was fast paced most of the time, hardest part was cutting the big fruit, enjoyable part was being switched to dish washing.
Big Boy is fast paced and challenging.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 24, 2018
Big Boy is one of the longest places I've worked at. It was really fast paced and quite busy. Everyone worked well together. The owner could be a little harsh at times, but we just did what needed to be done. The owner would never thank anyone for their hard work. I thought that was a little rude, but the job itself wasn't bad, so I paid that part no mind. I got annoyed here and there. Overall though, I really enjoyed it there because of my coworkers and the really nice customers. I loved cooking special orders for anyone.
Pros
Challenging work environment, good coworkers
Cons
Not much appreciation, but that can be forgiven. Sometimes it's a bit too much, even though all of us were professionals and really good at what we did.
Review of Big Boy
Dishwasher/Serve assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MINovember 13, 2018
Big Boy is a great restaurant to work at. Everyone is very nice to work with. management is very flexible on training you and showing you the responsibilities. I would recommend working there.
Pros
Free meal each time you work
Cons
Its a good place to work
Grill and Order Taker (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43612November 12, 2018
Good management good learning environment and fun customer service its ovreral a good place to work and gain work experience good management that works with you and helps you along the way.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not to many wish they paid more ofc
workplace culture
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MIAugust 1, 2018
It all depended on who the shift manager was regarding culture in the workplace. When I was the shift manager everyone was happy with their jobs and wanted to work to produce product. Other managers were stressed out by every little detail and I have learned to role with the punches and deal with thing in a way that it does not alarm the workers or the customers in the store.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Attitudes of workers and other managers
Overly Stressful, Poor Training, Rude Coworkers, Sexist Managers
Server/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIAugust 12, 2018
All female servers and all male cooks/dish. Fighting every shift between other waitresses about stealing tables/ stealing tips from tables. The trainers didn't teach me everything I needed to know then when I was on my own gave me a "figure it out yourself" attitude but stilled yelled at me for preparing things wrong when it was my first time basically winging it. Managers will make extremely rude comments about your appearance then say it's a joke.
Pros
50% discount on mehh food
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work, but can't live off what ya make.
Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 4, 2018
Most of the time it was a fun place to work, but what they pay is more fitting for a high school kid first job. Some managers had a power trip, but as long as you did what was needed to be done they would leave you to do your job.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Rush periods and paycheck
It was always really slow
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MINovember 15, 2018
The workers were over all nice,but i wasn't getting enough hours in so i had to let the job go. when i started there,i had already knew two people so they helped me out a lot. i got to learn what it's like to work in a resturant
Pros
50% off discount
Cons
only got a discount when working
fun to work at but no career advancement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, MIFebruary 11, 2018
fun to work at but no advancement. poor management and no opportunities for advancement. local customers are rude and perverts and management does nothing to help their young female waitresses from harassment from customers.
Pros
half off lunch if you're working
Cons
no healthcare, few breaks
Poorly ran company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 12, 2018
Company made up their own rules and then said it was against the law while breaking the law with employee personal information. Stay away from this company if you want to be a manager. You will get screwed in the long run.
Best place to work for them is at the corporate office because you get short hours big money.
Pros
The customers and employees
Cons
Area coaches and corporate employees.
Ok job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Johns, MIMay 31, 2018
It is what it is. Nothing great, nothing terrible. I only worked there for a short period of time because they hardly gave me any hours, low pay, and it was too far away.
Pros
Can work in different areas
Cons
Fast paced, not that great of management
Never again
Server (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MINovember 4, 2018
Brighton Big Boy was the worst restaurant I have ever worked at. No dishwasher during the hours that I worked. Extremely dirty kitchen, prep area, dish room. Not enough business here to make enough money to live on.
Pros
Cons
everything
Overall it was a great first serving job.
Manager Julie (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIOctober 10, 2018
It felt like a family working there, everybody got a long. Business was like a rollercoaster, it would be dead or very busy with little in between. But it trained me well to become a great server.
Very weird put together place to work!
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Houghton Lake, MISeptember 17, 2018
I worked at Big Boy for a summer before I went back to high school and it was a weird experience. The staff was not very nice, but they tried to be helpful. The owners were not helpful at all. Nice, but weird place to work.
Pros
Not much!
Cons
Not organized!