Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews

Good pay, even though there are some crazy folks out there!
Phone Representative (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, MAApril 11, 2019
I think my work at BBBS is ok. It pays good, I work with good management, my co-workers treat me well and they help me when I need it.

My only problem is dealing with folks that call in and yell about different things.
Pros
Pay, Management, Co-workers
Cons
Dealing with crazy people
Productive and collaborative school space
Literacy Tutor at North-Port VPK (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLApril 1, 2019
A typical day at work looks like tutoring in one-on-one sessions and working with the scheduled kid on literacy work. Through my employment here, I learned to be more patient and kind. I also learned a lot about different cultures due to diversity. The management and staff is amazing, they really do listen and find out ways to incorporate positivity in your life. The workplace is very relaxed and the coworkers are very helpful and supportive.
n/a
Enrollment and Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 29, 2019
Very rewarding! Building connections within the community and watching the relationships between the bigs and the littles grow were my favorite things about working for this company
Rewarding
Program Support (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 15, 2019
Able to balance work and life. Lots of time spent on telephone. If you like to talk to people it's good. It's hard to get a hold of people and that can be frustrating.
stepping stone
Enrollment and Matching Specialist (Floater) (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLMarch 8, 2019
My overall experience at BBBS was pretty good being that it was a great stepping stone. The position required a lot of multitasking, but I also learned for my first position in social work. The best part of job is the flexibility. The downside to the position was the pay and the workload. The position would be ideal for someone who is married and has no financial responsibilities because there is no way possible someone can survive on that salary.
Pros
flexability
Cons
low salary
Good Intentions/Poor Execution
Enrollment and Matching Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 5, 2019
The mission of the organization is great but management could do a better job of supporting staff, being more transparent and being more progressive and accepting to the changing youth culture.
Great mission, horrible leadership.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 27, 2019
The culture at this organization is one of the worst I have seen. Very toxic work environment. Leadership is hardly ever on the same page. Low pay with very little opportunity for growth. Leadership only cares about quantity, not quality. Lots of employee turnover. The training/onboarding process is a joke. You are basically set up for failure from the start.
Cons
Micromanagement, lack of respect for employees, low pay
a great place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 20, 2019
Outbound phone calls. Helping the donors with any issued . excellent place to work, my customer service improved . hardest part of the job was when donors were mad and cursing at us.
Pros
we were able to use our laptops and cellphone
Cons
health insurance was not good
Hardworking non-profit job with chances to help others.
1) Enrollment & Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 11, 2019
Hardworking non-profit job with chances to help others. Many opportunities to help children grow and learn how to be productive citizens. Great people serving for a good cause.
Avoid if you can...
Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 11, 2019
This place is great if you're looking for resume enhancement. The scheduling is flexible. The pay is not enough to survive in the Bay Area. They don't really care about the well being of the children they claim to serve. They mostly focus on the volunteers, who are privileged adults looking to "save" low income children of color.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Micro managed, Low Pay, Not respectful to People of Color
fun
Mentoring (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 10, 2019
its a great place to work. i love the feeling of helping and providing guidance to the youth. I can speak from experience i also had a big brother and was involved in the program as a child.
Cool Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHFebruary 5, 2019
This was a very rewarding experience. I am happy that I volunteered and was able to build a relationship with my Little Sis. I would recommend this organization to anyone.
Great Company - Poor Structure
Donation Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARJanuary 31, 2019
Great environment & training. Work hours (m-f 8-5) saturday's 8-12 - learned a lot while working with this company - met a lot of wonderful people & organizations
Pros
Atmopshere, Marketing-met a lot of wonderful people
Cons
New management, Advancement is not an option, Say goodbye to yearly pay raises
Enjoyed working with kids
Volunteer-Big Brother (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 31, 2019
This was not a job position. I volunteered to work with the kids. There staff was very professional and helpful. Communication with the staff was very good.
Pros
Great place to volunteer
Cons
I didn’t choose my kids
fun environment that encouraged creativity
Team manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 26, 2019
In the job position i trained younger children in social skills and to exercise their minds to think creatively. The work place encourages a fun area in which counselors and trainees to grow
Overall I liked working for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Coast
OFFICE AND EVENTS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAJanuary 22, 2019
A typical day at work involved a lot of multi tasking and planning for special events and fundraising events.
I learned to balance my work/life better by working there.
Management is really good about responding within a timely manner and they are very easy to get ahold of.
The hardest part of the job was coordinating and planning events, since I had no prior experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job was raising money for the non-profit organization and having loads of fun at the events.
Mentoring at its best
Volunteer (Mentor) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2019
It was only voluntary mentoring for troubled youth. I had to resign because i needed to take on the care of my elderly mom in my home. It was rewarding but not as rewarding as to give back to my mom.
Pros
Mentoring and leading
Cons
Easy going atmosphere with collaboration
Intern (Current Employee) –  Clare, MIJanuary 19, 2019
It was a good place to do my internship at. I learned a lot at my time here. I was able to improve my skills immensely! I performed my fair share of interviews and communicated with the clients.
Great Company
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJanuary 10, 2019
Great people and a great atmosphere to work in. Everybody came together with one goal, to make sure that as many kids in the in the community has at least one positive role model in there lives or community.
Pros
Children
Cons
Rewarding work. Challenging supervisors.
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 9, 2019
The work at BBBS is rewarding. The schedule is very flexible. Benefits are ok. Pay is low. After more than 5 years, I only make a dollar more. In addition, I don't even make $30k. The supervisors expect things to be the way they want them to be, regardless. Best part of the job is working with the children and making a difference in their lives.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay. Unrealistic expectations