Big Fish Games

Big Fish Games Employee Reviews

United States27 reviews
Fantastic workplace slightly let down by parent company
All in all, it was a very good place to work. Very understanding if you had to take time off, excellent communications with my lead while asking questions about certain work problems, very understanding HR departments, and a fun company culture. Was also very willing to teach skills to help work go smoothly. The only major issues started to crop up after being purchased by another company, but even those issues were minor, just small changes in policy.
Great While it lasted
Big Fish was a great place to be back in the day, but through some changes in corporate culture, its not longer the same environment. Laying off 15% of your staff isn't the way to build up a brand.
Terrible since Aristocrat took over
After Aristocrat took over, everything has gone downhill. Cuts were made to the workforce, but most management remained. Currently there is too much middle management making sweeping changes without considering the effects on the day-to-day operations. Work is being outsourced while total headcount remains too low to effectively do our job. Pay has always been too low for the area, but the fun work environment used to make up for it.

Most employees are passionate about what they do and want the company to succeed, but top management is doing everything they can to make the job experience as miserable as can be.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Low pay, cuts to workforce, stressful environment
Great culture, exactly what you would expect from a game company!
Was definitely the best place that I ever worked. Great culture, fun atmosphere, fun and nice people everywhere-never a grumpy person there it seemed. Would have drawing/sketching sessions weekly to help improve drawing skills, would have play test lunches with food provided that was great. Would have game launch events and company parties at nearby locations that were lots of fun. I worked on a great team with great management and always had a great time working on projects or with the team to create some really fun things.
Busy games industry work
Growing fast and making great mobile games quickly. Young staff and management with lots of great potential. Very good at quick iterations on games and using data to drive features.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Workers needs not really a consideration
Good luck if you have a disability, mental illness, or other outside stressors. Worker's mental health or well-being is not a priority. They talk a good game about how they value their employees but then fail to recognize their strengths, foster a cliquish environment, and will dismiss any criticism or input.
Increasingly sterile and stressful
Sijnce being acquired by Aristocrat, the company has become a sterile, unforgiving work environment. Job security is out the window, and advancement from within is a thing of the past.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible management from the CEO on down
Great place
I’m happy I worked there but my time is up on that job so that’s why I’m moving to this one I hope I get the job, also hope I get paid quite a bit not a crazy amount tho
Pros
It was fun
Cons
Always working
A fun job
Working at Big Fish was very fun. The culture is energetic and exciting as well, but there is a trade off. There were more promises broken about promotion than I care to go into, and being laid off with about 100 other people with none of management involved really makes you feel like you're just a cog in a corporate wheel.
Pros
fun environment, close to restaurants
Cons
low pay, can be stressful
Great Place
Really fun and positive place to work. Full of opportunities to learn and grow, if you're willing to push for them. People are friendly and care for each other like a family.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Big Fish Games?
Fun Company, but poor strategic vision
The people at the company are great to work with. Everyone is passionate about what they do. They truly want the games they work on to succeed. Unfortunately, management can't seem to ever have an idea or vision of where the company should go, or how a game should even be released in the first place.
Pros
Nice and passionate people working there.
Cons
Management that doesn't manage.
Great and talented people, but poor management internally
Working with my team was fantastic technically. I surrounded by many talented people and there were junior people I could mentor daily. We all worked very hard and spread our work loads when we could. However, I was getting into a dead end and management constantly overriding my recommendations. There were several hostile situations that never got permanently resolved and made our lives miserable. There was no plan to advance my career path. HR was the worst I've ever seen. They were not an unbiased party in employee/manager disputes. The quarterly performance review process was insane and the most misguided approach with an backend application that was equally as horrible. Building never had enough rest room facilities despite numerous complaints from many. There was no support for philanthropies or community initiatives.
Pros
Talented people at numerous levels and superior project management
Cons
Poor executive management, poor HR
Horrible management, 80 hour work weeks...
Management direction was awful- nobody knew who was running the ship. Executives took credit for the successes of their team for which they had no part in. Team was severely understaffed and requests for assistance were ignored, resulting in 80 hour work weeks. The only positive were the regular team members, who were motivated and friendly.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
long hours, ineffective management
Super boite !
J'ai eu la chance de travailler chez BFG pendant 8 ans. Je n'y ai rencontré que des personnes agréables et motivées. L'ambiance et le cadre professionnel sont au sommet !
Pros
super ambiance, super locaux, gens agréables, fruits gratuits, salles de sieste, grosse fête annuelle
Low pay
Low pay for testers for the expected output/skills. Testers were living 1 1/2 hrs away because no way to afford anything in Seattle. Good morale events (needed). Company seems to care more about growth and very little about the quality of life of it's employees. Not a terrible place to work, but terrible pay for QA. Maybe if the company was in Tacoma, it would be ok, but not in Seattle.
Cons
pay
Work was fun!
So when I started I had lots of time to work on side projects that helped me further my career. Later on there were several positions that my management failed to backfill causing me to have an unmanageable workload.
I was at Big Fish for 10 years
The leadership at Big Fish has a great vision and shares it frequently with the company. Advancement can be difficult depending on what team you are on, but if you position yourself to be an expert in your field and stay hungry, I have seen many people move up the ladder through the years.
No vision
Good work/life balance. I learned a lot about data warehousing practices, and using different soap/rest apis, extracting json blogs and dserializing it into C# objects. The management was a huge negative at this place. They don't care about employee career growth. They only want their objectives met. The workplace culture is a huge issue. There is a lot of biased towards certain individuals.
Pros
Free lunch a lot
Cons
No future.
Office politics can ruin something great
Pros:
Work/Life balance is fantastic.

There are several very talented people that you will get to work with.

Work hours are flexible for many positions.

Cons:

There are no opportunities for advancement, especially for women.

Most of the decision-makers are not gamers and, therefore, make very poor business decisions which negatively impact the company's long-term performance.
The people make the place worth staying for.
The work place is very casual but focused on numbers most of the time. The people here make it worth staying for most cases.
Wonderful Place to Work
I was a contract customer support rep for 3 months and enjoyed every minute of working at Big Fish Games. Every employee and manager was eager to help those learning their positions and the atmosphere was pleasant and friendly.
Pros
Several gifts provided by the company.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Fish Games. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
2.9
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Big Fish Games Reviews by Location