Big Lots Employee Reviews

51.2K
41.3K
31.3K
Found 4,585 reviews matching the search See all 4,621 reviews
Great stepping stone for what I wanna do
Furniture sales associate (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHAugust 13, 2018
As a business major I needed to work in an environment where I would deal with sales hands on. I learned a lot of basic tricks and tips when it comes to directly interacting with customers. If I take away anything from my time at big lots it would be the experience and lessons along the way.
It was fun, I guess.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJAugust 13, 2018
The job was fine, but I really need to get to other things I have to do right now. I can't keep sitting here filling these things out. Thank you, have to go.
Pros
Relaxing, non-stressful.
Cons
Low pay.
Not a Career
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 13, 2018
This was a job in college for me, it served its purpose. It wouldn't pay my bills at the wage I was being paid but if you don't need a lot of money its a decent job.
Laid back
Big Lots distribution center (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 13, 2018
Laid back environment, work basically at your own pace . Not too much heaving lifting . They’re pretty good about giving you the time off that you need also .
It was crazy
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAAugust 12, 2018
Overall I had a great manager and awesome supervisor and I liked the people I was working with. The job was really stressful though especially since it was my first job and I was still in high school at the time.
Use to love coming in to work
Sales Associate, stocker , cashier, (Current Employee) –  Owensboro KYAugust 12, 2018
Management talks about employees, if they like you , you get hours , manager gives you too many jobs to do in short amount of time , constantly pushing rewards in your face , threatens raises , work hours if you don't get any sign ups . Criticizing you in front of customers , schedule posting is almost always late instead of 12pm it's 530-6 pm . Alot of favoritism . I love my job , I love working with the customers and most part with my fellow employees. It's a family atmosphere. I plan on working here for along time . But if things don't change ,it doesn't look good . We've lost a lot of good employees for the reasons I've listed
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Raises aren't based on your preformance
my experience was good but there was some cons at the store
SALES/CUSTUMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2018
at big lots the job is good, they care about your safety and follow all regulations. the managers are very cooperating and helpful but the hours are small
Pros
good staff
Cons
small hours
Buen ambiente
Asociado de Ventas (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 11, 2018
Buen ambiente de trabajo pero poca paga, en realidad las mismas tareas que desempeño en Walmart, excepto la remodelacion
Pros
Buen ambiente de trabajo
Cons
Tiene mucha competencia, pocas ventas
Most of management was mean spirited
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAAugust 11, 2018
Management did not treat you with much respect. There wasn't much of a workplace culture. Everyone mostly just kind of kept to themselves. I would always sit in my car during lunch.
Upper management make your life terrible
Assistant Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 11, 2018
I was an assistant team lead. The districmanager made entire management staff they were losers and could be fired at any time. Finally pushed store leader out. Replacement came in and started clearing out old staff. This is no way to live
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor work environment, old equipment to work with
co workers were fun to work with
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 11, 2018
It was an ok place to work. I had to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve till close which was at 10pm. the store was clean, but the stock rooms were unorganized
Great place to work, as long as you work together as a team
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sumter County, SCAugust 11, 2018
I love what I do, I love seeing and helping my customers on a daily basis. Our team was great but not so much now, we should be on one page and help each other and not throw them under the bus.
Pros
Bonus, employees, customers
Cons
Short lunches, breaks etc
Cashier/clerk & stocking manager
Clerk/Cashier/stocking manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 10, 2018
Being a cashier & stocking the merchandise isn’t bad I would work there for
That but any kind of management they don’t pay enough for all the work that they do
needs wowrk
Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLAugust 10, 2018
poor management The bulk of their work is a fast-growing While this leaves less room for you to influence This is about as legitimate as it gets A lot of people work there based on three key components! uantity, quality, and recency of reviews and opportunity! Earnings falling, expected to work every weekend, staffing matrix broken, part time/full time ratio 95/5 (1 Salaried Mgr, 2 FT Mgrs {if lucky to be staffed}, 1 Furniture Premadonna/Lead, 1 DTS Lead) everyone else is part time. Call offs- you cover. 3 am alarm calls-you cover. Asst Mgr no shows-you cover. Both Asst Mgrs quit- you guessed it, you cover. 60-90 hour work week, and they have the nerve to write you up for …
Prepare to be overworked and to have corporate telling you exactly what to do with no flexability to do your own creative work.
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  MDAugust 10, 2018
This job expects you to do way to much for the pay that they pay. Can only get hired if you have an open availability but will only max out 20 hours, min 4, a week. Their entire DTS process is a joke and really needs to be re-evaluated. The stores are given no hours and expected to not only operate, but to get done a million and one things.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No hours, too much work for the pay
Environment was fairly decent but management was not great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Union City, GAAugust 10, 2018
My review is that they can give employees more hours and monitor management because they are unprofessional in several locations. They can also focus on upgrading their locations as well.
not much to say
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2018
There is not much to say when it come to this place. You would have to be there to understand and see how the policy works for everyone not just some..
Fun but Hard Working Job
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 9, 2018
Enjoyed working under the managers I had. Enjoyed most fellow employees. This was a fun job but it was also a hard working job. Unloading tractor trailer loads of items onto an ancient conveyor belt, stacking items onto pallets, crushing boxes with the machine, stocking shelves, cleaning your area. I would work there again as long as I didn't have to work so fast and hard unloading the trucks.
Pros
Managers, Most Co-Workers, Loved Stocking
Cons
The pay is way too low, no benefits for part timers.
Friendly and hardworking work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAAugust 9, 2018
There always very friendly coworkers and managers, very helpful with hours but only benefits was discount which did come in handy. Very clean and very well put together.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No other benefits
Big Lots was a nice company to work for
bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 8, 2018
Big Lots was a nice company. The staff was friendly. The store was clean. Big Lots helped me to learn how to do cashiering and paperwork. I had nice managers that was willing to help me learn.
Pros
hours