Big Lots
65Average

Big Lots Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA16 reviews
a good part time job. i work in the furniture department, so i learned how to sale. the hardest part of the job is adapting to the scheduling. overall the workplace is good.
Everyone worked as a unit and less of a competition and more of a teamwork based organization. Managers were clear on objectives for each day of work.
It was a nice not to busy job part time. Liked all my managers they were understanding and hour fit my schedule. Part time is ideal for me with 2 small children.
Pros
Discount 4 hour shifts
Cons
Not enough hours sometimes slow employes
Well the store has shut down as of 12/29/2018 was offered a transfer but the hours and pay dont really provide much in terms of providing for my 2 kids at the moment
Pros
Great hours and crew
Cons
Store loctaion
Poor management no pay increase, long hours with no advancement and micro management in the work place. Working here is good for the discounts, not a career move.
Pros
the discounts
Cons
no advancement
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
It’s good for someone going to school. They are willing to accept any schedule. You can also do overnights. Management was good. overall, the company's benefits were not that great.
Not a terrible place to work at
A typical day includes being assigned a place to work and different task to complete before the end of the day

I learned how to restock and read labels. I learned about packaging process and selling furniture the right way.

The management was on key when it came to controlling the environment so that it was a pleasant place to come to. The management also oversees all its employees to make sure people were working hard and at least somewhat happy

The hardest part of the job was trying to work and take care of the customers needs. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure all task were complete and all customers needs were meet while trying to take care of my own personal needs at the same time. It was not very easy to do but I managed for the time being.

The most enjoyable part was making a huge profit on a furniture sale!
Pros
Good prices and discounts
Cons
Hours
You're constantly moving whether you are doing cashier or stock at big lots. The management is nice. My co-workers are easy to work with. I learned how to do returns.
Pros
free lucnes
Cons
short breaks
A typical day at Big Lots is cool. Iv'e learned that work is what you make it. Management is great, they are very helpful and caring. The hardest part of the job is unloading the truck, it gets overwhelming at times but it gets done. The most enjoyable part of the job is helpful friendly co-workers assisting to make things easier for the individual.
This is the worst job I've ever had. I worked at Big Lots for over 2 years and it was a dead end. Management doesn't care if you're in the hospital, they still want you to come to work, and oh yeah, be prepared to get yelled at 100% of the time. Most of the time, it's only 1 cashier. So say good bye to your 15 minute break, bathroom break and everything in between. Customers will yell at you because the line is so long, and management never wants to help. I once was yelled at because i was wearing my sweater in the winter, but still had my badge/tag on, but was told to take it off because, "customers didn't know I worked there". Excuse me?! I'm the only cashier here, do they think someone just walked in and started checking out people????!!?!! PS. my manager didn't allow a heater.
If you have a second job, be prepared to get yelled at even more because you have to leave to do your other job. I've seen my hours go from 20 to 4 to 10, it fluctuates all the time. Who can live off of 4 hours?!

If you work at Big Lots, be prepared to work a 2nd and 3rd job.

If you wanna know the true happiness of Big Lots' employees, just ask them when they're off the clock.

Also, on friends and family events for 20% off, management will use and abuse you so they can get their bonus, while you can get screamed at and walk away with a migrane at the end of your shift...(no break, no water break, no bathroom break,). I've seen cashiers standing on their feet for more than 6 hours without a break. No one cares, until we quit.

Also, I was getting paid the same as the people I was training,
 - more...
Pros
Cons
No breaks, abuse, dead end, it's gas money (not enough to pay car insurance).
I enjoyed working here because all of the employees and management were like family. We enjoyed doing our jobs and we had fun and were productive as a team.
lots of customers great food all ways foot ball base ball or any game we had it. Ive learned that i will never work in a bar in my life again and don't trust people that work in the bar. my mangers where out of hand they where not at all good mangers they where lazy and drunks. nothing was hard about this job and noting was enjoyably either.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
this company is far from perfect, but there is no perfect world. You'll have to make the best of every day moving extremely heavy pallets of merchandise with no power equipment whatsoever. During your days off you will probably just convalesce. there are no assigned areas of responsibility for management so you must be proficient in every area. On the plus side the pay is not bad if you negotiate properly up front, if you do not do this you will get paid next to Nothing.
Pros
work 5 days a week, usually
Cons
constantly understaffed, and you will be worked to the bone and then some
Love working here. Nice mangers, very considerate of all employees and never had nothing bad to say. I learned how to accept different view points and how to enjoy working.
Pros
discounts
Cons
n/a
not enough hours , low pay , the management was ok, I enjoyed working the overnight shift because the people I worked with made the time go by fast
Pros
night hours
Cons
not enough money or hours
Management was very nice and understanding. For part-time employees, they are very flexible with your work schedule.