Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 4,961 reviews matching the search See all 4,997 reviews
my 6 months working at Big Lots
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLDecember 10, 2018
typically start at 3 or 4 in the morning which is when Big Lots stocks their aisles. Needing to work, I accepted the position. Management trained me to stock the aisles, but reduced my hours when they thought I stocked too slowly.
a days work as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDDecember 10, 2018
clock in and find the manager
the manager has specific jobs you do each day you work
stocking and storing items on the shelf each day when busy work the registers and help with the line
Decent Starting Job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rowlett, TXDecember 9, 2018
It's a decent starting job if you're looking into retail. Paid 15-minute breaks each shift, and a 30 minute lunch breaks for 6+ hour shifts, with a 20% discount on every purchase. Along with being paid a decent amount seems like an average job. Friendly coworkers and customers are also a plus. However, trying to balance life and work might be a bit tedious. They REALLY want you to sign customers up for their reward card and/or BigLots Credit Card or else you might be terminated.
Pros
Paid 15-minute breaks, 30-minute breaks for 6+ hour shifts, 20% discounts, friendly customers and coworkers.
Cons
Reward cards, management gets iffy at times, short breaks.
Great experience
Store Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 9, 2018
This was an experience of a life time. The mentorship was amazing and the regional staff was great. The hours were long and critical on my design to leave but i trained and coached over 4 individuals to management positions.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough time
Very stressful and never good enough
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  somewhere usaDecember 7, 2018
Only full time employees are managers.
Under market pay for part time associates.
Limited hours for part timers.
Extremely task driven company which is made difficult by insufficient payroll.
Employees receive schedule at noon on Saturday which makes it difficult to plan their week. Schedule week starts Sunday. Reason given by corporate is they make money by waiting. Has something to do with delivery of freight.
Unrealistic time frame to unload freight and work to floor. Not safe. Eighty percent of accidents happen on truck unload.
Has become very demanding for associates to push programs on customers with no reward.
Inadequate customer service due lack of payroll and high demand of task to be completed.
Very high turnover rate for management and part time associates.
Long term employees have broken down bodies due to the demanding work. Majority of work done by management due to lack of payroll. Store management teams are not managers.
A lot of wasteful spending at corporate level that could be used in stores.
No respect from Senior Leadership for store employees who perform job daily.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Payroll, respect for store employees, corporate wasteful spending, micromanagement
big lots
LEAD CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 7, 2018
working at big lots is perfect for high school students or if you need a weekend job for extra cash. would NOT suggest to adults with monthly bills because the hours suck and they seem to only give them to managers and over night stockers. The holiday rush is no joke and customers are rude. Management at the location in Arlington on pioneer is great.
Pros
discount
Cons
no hours
New requirements given to management on an almost daily basis
Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Pickerington, OHDecember 7, 2018
Like most retailers, being a manager at Big Lots requires you to fulfill project requirements with inadequate resources and time, dealing with perpetually low staffing due to low pay at the associate and lead levels, and constant stress. Having a competent store manager has a significant impact upon the success of the store and how well operations proceed as the assistants are rarely given enough authority (and certainly enough hours as we are hourly employees limited to 45 hours per week) to be able to act in a way that could overcome a bad store manager. A good store manager can make the work environment a lot less stressful. However, there are some managers out there who are only interested in their own career advancement and will use up employees and assistants in an effort to get ahead and stand out for promotion to district manager.
Pros
Discount, flexible schedule (somewhat)
Cons
Constant stress, low staffing, average pay, terrible raises and review procedures
great employees that care about you
Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 7, 2018
A typical day at work was your basic retail day, I usually went in to do a cashiering job. I had the tendency to work in furniture as well, it was easy.
Pros
great work culture
Cons
short breaks
Its a great place to work
Repacker (Former Employee) –  Tremont, PADecember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working there .it was a really great place to work.it was a really easy job the pay was great. I like the fact that poeple are very kind to you there
My 1st full time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 5, 2018
This my was 1st job after high school. I would stock shelves, be the cashier to help people check out. Clean the floors after closing. Make sure the bathrooms were clean and fully stocked
Not pleased
Cashier (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 5, 2018
The hours are minimal and they don’t give you enough hours they expect you to make a living out of 19 hours a week which is never enough to even pay the electric bill in your home or a rent when you asked for more hours they always have an excuse that they keep hiring new people but they always push people out I am to fire them or you end up walking away because he’s never enough there is no security in this job.
Pros
Cons
15 min break for 4 hours
Relaxed and slow-paced environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 5, 2018
A typical day at work is very easy and slow-paced. The customers are usually nice, they don't ask for much. The hardest thing the job required you to do is lift furniture.
Pros
Discounts
fast pace work with limited advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Merchandising) (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 5, 2018
Depending on what side of management you are hired for will depend on your schedule. You will either open the store or close at night. Large expectations are required with often limited resources.
Pros
bonuses are possible
Cons
limited staff, inconsitant work conditions
My experience was great
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 4, 2018
Working at Big Lots is a learning experience everyday because of the people you satisfy and help. The management, coworkers, and the position you work in. Overall, a typical day would consist of clocking in, getting into your position and performing your tasks. Meanwhile, helping customers on the sales floor as you go and answering calls in a timely manner. However, what we do sometimes are just not enough or meet up to the customers standards, but to out knowledge the customer is always right. We can always keep our day going from the enjoyment of satisfying customers needs and wants.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Hours
I hired in as a seasonal employee. After four weeks, I had to quit due to to lack of advanced scheduling notice.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIDecember 4, 2018
The schedule is posted at the register on Saturday for the upcoming week, and only goes for a one week block. It is not electronically sent; I was told to call the store or come in every Saturday to check the schedule for the upcoming week. I don’t know why it can not be made at least one week ahead of time so that people can plan life events and, in today’s day, electronically posted. I was told, “That’s just how Big Lots is.” Additionally, it’s a disservice to the customer while the working associate is on the phone giving the schedule notice to a caller, and it’s inconsiderate to have to come in just to check a schedule.
Pros
Discount. Associates were friendly.
Cons
Lack of schedule duration and notice.
its a job
Sales Associate Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 4, 2018
I learned how to fixed stock by the date on supply, The hardest part was getting 5 lanes done in an hour and also trying to help the cashiers and go get carts all the same time.
Pros
No pros
Cons
never getting the work done you was hired to do
very unorganized/lack of support
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 3, 2018
9 to 11 hr. day with no gratitude for caring
I learned that everyone cared only for themselves
No TEAMWORK
get the jobs done no matter what or sacrifices are done
hardest part is that at no time can you believe a open/ confidential door policy exists
the most enjoyable time was 5 years ago , the company was a good place to enjoy/proud going to work for and felt like complete store team
Pros
employee discount
Cons
hire individuals who can't do the job & let go of those that care and work hard
great job
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 3, 2018
great job but regardless how many times you say the leader is horrible and gets bad reviews nothing happens. Each week and each visit is negative and very little positive moments.
summary
Operations Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 3, 2018
This is a retail job at a big box company so the money is according to expected norms. The environment was friendly and empowering. I recommend it to applicants.
Good First job, or for retirees
Stocker (Current Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 2, 2018
This is a great first job, or job for someone looking to supplement their income with a part-time position. I have not had more than 26 hours scheduled for me in a week.

I stock shelves, assist customers and am a backup cashier.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.4K
31.4K

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight