Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 5,144 reviews matching the search See all 5,180 reviews
Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKFebruary 15, 2019
Great place to work if youre needing a job to hold you down until you get a better one or wanting a second job. Friendly faces never really any trouble but theres always one in every group who can casue trouble
Pros
great for second job
Cons
unless management no full time
Bad culture
Cashier/Furniture Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 15, 2019
Hated working here because the organization as a whole is on the decline. Would not recommend working here unless you want to be miserable waking up and going to work daily.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, bad pay, bad management
Its not too bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2019
It's like any other retail job, stock stuff, clean stuff, help customers. The management usually doesn't tey to hold a lotnof meetings so people are readily available to customers.
Digital Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2019
Working in the Big Lots corporate office is pretty much like most corporate jobs. You spend more time in meetings that you'd prefer, some of the management is terrible, some is great. Lots of exciting things happening within the company with re-branding and the launch of the ecommerce website. I had good work/life balance and returning after maternity leave (no maternity leave benefits, just short term disability and FMLA) felt like my managers were flexible and understanding with me.

Since I've left, the company has a new corporate office and some new faces in the c-suite, so I can't speak to current culture.
Pros
cheap cafeteria, work/life balance, healthcare, benefits
Cons
no maternity/paternity leave benefits, some "old school" culture
Not a long-term job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GAFebruary 13, 2019
Two out of four managers treated you with kindness , this is coming from more than one source . Hours are low , you're lucky to get more than 20 a week. Easy job , for closing and opening . It's very slow and fast paced . They use the same mop to clean the store as they do the bathroom , which is gross.
Pros
%20 in store discount, occasionally %30 also, Easy job
Cons
Not enough hours, less than 20 at a time, there is no full-time, only for the managers, no set hours or shifts, Very rude managers
Good work place
Loader (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 13, 2019
Before you get to clock in every on walks through the medal detector and show identification. Go in hit the floor. Greet everyone. Then get assigned to your station for that day.
Enjoy communicating with customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCFebruary 13, 2019
Very flexible with schedule. I enjoy checking the aisles for near out of date items and discounting them. I enjoy the discount we receive when shopping.
A fantastic place to work
Stocker/ sales associate? cashier (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXFebruary 13, 2019
Big lots is a great place to work but the hours are to few. You get great discounts and you get to pick the stuff that is discounted before the customers get to it. I love the people and really need the work. I am torn between finding another job and loving Big Lots. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Great discount and good people
Cons
Too few hours and not enough work.
Fast pace job
Sales Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 13, 2019
If you are someone that stocks you have to get a system down that help you put things up easier. Truck crew was fun. I didn't even mind the fact that we had to go in extra early to unload. We did some morning stretches, got some music going, and everyone had a positive attitude.
Enjoyable work experience.
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHFebruary 13, 2019
Productive in all aspects.
To accept change.
Managing as a team.
Inviting and pleasing.
Reprimanding.
Being a part of a productive team and Christmas!
Pros
Benefits and Advancements
Cons
Always having to be repetitive.
Very good place to work
Truck Unloader/ Furniture Stocker (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNFebruary 12, 2019
I learned how to be more independent at my work station, managers were always there in the blink of eye if help was needed. The hardest part about the job would be unloading the truck. The most enjoyable thing about working for Big Lots was having friends and family that also worked there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
truck
Good
FURNITURE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAFebruary 12, 2019
The job was good. The benefits were great and there was room to advance within the company. sales are big in this company and they reward you for that.
Very Productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOFebruary 11, 2019
I loved the way Big Lots rewards their employees with like “stars” it notes of accomplishments. If more jobs did this I believe more employees would contribute more then what they do.
Great people to work with
Assistant Manager/Sales & Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 11, 2019
Great Company...General Manager driven at each location...Some career opportunities depending upon district location. great people working at a lot of locations
Fun work space
Sales Representative, and Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYFebruary 11, 2019
Ejoyed working for Big Lots. Management and co-workers were very helpful in training. Unloaded stock truck. Ran cash register Cleaned my work space. Helped customers.
A company that makes you think
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 11, 2019
Daily working out of merchandise. Game planning the best way to get all the merchandise out. Daily, weekly and monthly scheduling of employees. Big lots allows for a great deal of flex allowing you to cater to your customers.
Pros
allows you to cater to customers
Cons
long hours.
Always overlooked
Floor Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 10, 2019
Worked 10 + years in the grocery field, and they have me doing recovery ( face up the store ). The only time I'm aloud to stock the shelves, is when the store manager is off.
Pros
Having a day off not to do recovery
Cons
Alot of days only aloud 4 hour on schedual
ok
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAFebruary 9, 2019
really tough when you only have a couple of people and they don't give you the hour you need to get it done. if you want it to be your first job then it would not be bad
Pros
ok pay
Cons
not enough people they manly get women and when you are the only guy it get rough
Fun place to work
Seasonal floor Stocker (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXFebruary 9, 2019
I got to work seasonal for this place it was fun experience I did stocking and some cashiering I'd say their prices are fair and they paid good nice friendly people
Pros
Discounts
Cons
N/a
Slow paced place to work
Dock to Stock Lead (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMFebruary 9, 2019
Big lots is an ok place to work. It is only a part time job place. For the positions are for cashier and stockers, management positions are only full time.
Pros
Mostly part-time jobs
Cons
No over time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.4K
31.4K

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight