Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 4,815 reviews matching the search See all 4,851 reviews
Needs better scheduling
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Milford, CTOctober 17, 2018
The schedule changes every week, so you cant plan ahead. Runs Sun-Sat, only comes out on Saturday. Way too last minute, need more notice ahead of time
Pros
20% off store merch, 30% off furniture
Cons
schedule was last minute, no christmas bonus, no benefits.
Terrible place
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 17, 2018
They often mess up on your pay check management is clueless about their role within the department & they demand perfection but dont give it in return
Pros
Clocking out and going home
Cons
Incompetent Management and not enough work hours
I really enjoyed working here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIOctober 16, 2018
My time over the years working here were nice I met alot of people I loved the people I worked with Including management it w I sent the greatest pay but the atmosphere made up for it
Pros
Team members
Cons
Pay could be better
not productive work
Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 16, 2018
Work/ personal life not focus of Big Lots. Big Lots is only focused on customers. Managers don't receive compensation for work and tasks assigned. Always low on staffing
Good stepping stone position
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNOctober 16, 2018
Most retail positions make good entry level jobs, Big Lots is no different. But what makes Big Lots stand out is that it's not a titanic company like Walmart, so the staff is pretty close-knit. You get to know everybody pretty well, and they do treat employees pretty good despite the less than desirable pay.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay
Horrible place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Haines City, FLOctober 16, 2018
Work you like dogs would not recommend this place to anyone not even my worst enemies. Hours are all over the place do not have the proper equipment to work with just horrible
Pros
None at all
Good learning experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLOctober 15, 2018
My position at Big Lots helped me learn skills that are valuable and applicable to future life paths. I found the customers to be the most challenging part of the job, and the management staff was not especially helpful.
Terrible management
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Statesville ncOctober 15, 2018
They don’t care that you have a life outside of work. Can guarantee any type of schedule or amount of hours. Max number of hours for anyone other than managers is 29 hours. Pay is decent but they work you like a dog an expect so much out of you
Pros
Starts out at $9.50 per hour
Cons
Short breaks; inconsistent schedule; Not enough hours to live off of
Great management.
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 15, 2018
I loved working for the managers at Big Lots. They were so understanding and they worked with whatever situation that occurred.
I also enjoyed working with my fellow employees. It made the working environment better.
good discount ok for partime work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 15, 2018
job is a good place if your looking for part time work. decent discount. fast pace. pay is minimum. overall i would recommend this job,.................
Pros
discount
Cons
hours
Warehouse overview
Stock/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 14, 2018
It was a great experience working inside of stuffy wear house with integrity of getting the job done in a fast pace environment. Maximizing your strength through endurance is quite challenging, but all rewarding.
Pros
Ok pay for high energy work
Cons
Stuffy and Muggy wear house
I truly loved working there until the last 2 years.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 14, 2018
In the beginning it was great. i mean there were times not so great but overall i loved it. i grew so much while there. i quickly moved up to assistant store manager. i was 2nd in charge or the last 7 years.
Then the store manager began to behave in a threatening and oppressive way. she was yelling all the time. she would threaten your job almost daily. her behavior became very erratic and at times frightening. but for the most part i was happy . however the hours are bad if your not a manager your lucky to get 20 hours a week. the company expects you to do the job of three people for low pay and low hours.
Pros
healthcare, discount 20%, paid time off.
Cons
Bad management, company does not care about their associates whatsoever.
Decent place to work.
Stock Associate/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 14, 2018
Overall a really decent place to work if your looking for something part time and not too serious. I found that there is always something to keep yourself busy with throughout the day.
Fun
Cashier stocker unloaded truck (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 13, 2018
I had learn lot working there at big lots they take the time to show u what u need to do clean and nice and I had a real good manger the show u how to do things
Hard work
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAOctober 13, 2018
Customers over employees.
Unloading trucks in extreme temperatures without covering.
No power equipment, heavy items are moved manually.
Low pay for regular associates.
Great employee discount.
Room for growth.
Pros
20% employee discount
Cons
Low pay
Overall
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 12, 2018
It was a fairly decent place to work at. I was never idle since there was so much to do in the store. Management and staff was friendly. Overall though, it was a stepping stone for me until I moved on.
nice place to work
Furniture Manager (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAOctober 12, 2018
Gained a lot of experience working with furniture. I did not have the experience at the time. I was trained quickly because I am a quick learner and a team player.
I liked working there
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 12, 2018
Big lots was a laid back place to work. It was sales goal oriented. Was largely based on customer service. When I worked there, even as management, they didnt offer many benefits. But that was a long time ago. Eventually my (only furniture) store was phased out because they were building a closeout store near by that had the food as well as furniture. I closed the doors at my old store for the last time. I was offered a transfer to the new store but when I went to see the store manager at the new location, he informed me that my pay would have to start over. He also made me feel as though I was going to be an inconvenience since I had a small child. So I declined the offer for furniture manager.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Angry customers
Big Lots
Sales Associate/Associate stocker (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLOctober 12, 2018
Big Lot was a great place to work because of the people who worked there everyone was family.But the work was much more then expected for the pay that was doing given. a typical at work is okay because it into you have to unload a trunk with just 3 or 5 people and this trunk bring 800 or more items and maybe two or three pallets that mean the rest is single boxes.Some boxes are big and some are little and we worked 4 hours straight. That's 2 people in the trunk and 3 out of it

But I also learned about stocking and price changing and moving. Love the work just not the pay
Pros
Everyone works together
Cons
Not enough pay
Poor management
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 12, 2018
Poor management no pay increase, long hours with no advancement and micro management in the work place. Working here is good for the discounts, not a career move.
Pros
the discounts
Cons
no advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.3K
31.3K

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight