Big Lots

Clear
2.8Pay & Benefits

Found 49 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,878 reviews
furniturestorebiglotsdiscountcashiertruckstockingshelf

Store level culture is great, but corporate not so much

The people I worked with were great and team players, but as soon as the corporate office or district manager got involved with anything problems come soon after. Fulfilling work selling furniture and helping people with individual needs, but the pay is so low for a manager that I wouldn't recommend unless you're just starting out.

Pros

Benefits, work environment, fulfilling work

Cons

Low pay, micro managing corporate

No help

No help, no hours, management sucks!!! Especially store manager who do the scheduling and hiring. They complain when work is not completed but when there’s no help you can’t do much when you have to do the work of 3 people.

Big Lots insights

Based on 4,522 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Fun workplace, but hours and pay suck

The limited amount of hours Big Lots gives the stores results in not enough workers being able to get the job done. If you're a worker that is not a manager, stable and secure hours aren't available. The pay sucks considering the work you're expected to do.

Laid back atmosphere, helpful caring management and co-workers.

I loved my time at Big Lots, the people are wonderful. I always loved the store as a shopper.I highly recommend working there for people who want to. I would still be there myself, butfull time hours were not available to me.

Pros

Employee discounts. Pizza and other food were regularly brought in.

Cons

unfortunately, full time hours are not guaranteed.

Bad management

Just don’t do it. Really think twice about what you are getting into. Pay for management is really decent but pay discrepancy with full time and part time is crazy

Fun place to work with something new always going on.

Its a good place to work. You have to put yourself on the district stage if you want to get promoted. Always fun to change over the store for each season (Christmas, Summer, etc.)

Pros

It's not bad

Cons

Can't get promoted if you are really good and held up by your manager.

Love it

Best job I ever had. Staff is great. Great discount. Good benefits. Great hours. Very happy to have found this job and could not be happiest place ever

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Healthcare

Horrible pay and schedules

Mgrs only paid cents more over frontline staff. Get a raise, they reduce your hrs. Get OT they reduce hrs the next week. Schedules are a 1 day notice

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

Pay doesnt reflect cost of living for community you live in

Good products and Ok management

Wasn’t a bad job, the management was there to do their jobs. Store often felt understaffed and not enough time to do tasks, but that’s all of retail. Store life wasn’t bad, and the pay was ok.

Pros

Discount, and flexible hours

Cons

Pay, and short staffed

BigSucks

No room for advancement, store managers care nothing towards you and manipulate salary pay just so they can work the least amount of hours. They care nothing for the supporting manager staff. There is no one to talk to about problems. Pay is way below average for the back breaking work that is required for this job. I have been here for almost a year and have been steadily looking towards the door because no matter what you do or how hard you work you will not be recognized. Extremely toxic work environment.

Pros

Good discount.

Cons

Short breaks, no room to advance, bad management, toxic work environment, unattainable goals

I loved promoting within the big lots company

Now before proceeding thinking this is a permanent job it is not it’s like McDonald’s this is a place of employment for teenagers and people who only want PT work. So the pay does reflect that but with good work ethics it’s easy to promote and get bonuses and raises, as with any company seasonal changes are tough and fast paced and sometimes stressful. But for someone looking to get their feet wet with a first time job, first time retail job this is a great place to start.

Great company to work for.

Love the location I work at! Managers are awesome! Great work environment. I never dread going to work.. Great benefits. 6 paid sick days per year. 2 weeks vacation after 1st year. 4 floating holiday days. Short term disability at no cost to employee. Free life insurance. Very resonable health and dental insurance.

Pros

Management is awesome, always thanking their employees. Very easy to approach and talk with.

Cons

Not very many full time positions available.

good work place good people

Great associates and customers a nice place.Hard work with no hoursWe had bad leadershipGood FT benefitsTrust learning experinceThe culture good at Times

Pros

Pay and Benefits

Cons

Payroll and upper management

Sales

They will work you to you drop not enough hours or pay. The minute you get hurt your replaced. I love working in sales though you meet interesting people.

Pros

flexible

Cons

work all holidays

Good people to work with.

We are like a family there. Most people have been there for years. One of the worst things there is you can do several no call no shows and you still will not.get fired.

Pros

Good pepple to work with.

Cons

No benefits. Cant be full time

Horrible place to work

Big lots is a horrible place to work no loyalty at all what so ever, unless u kiss behind laid off 3000 people last year with no warning 7years given to that place for nothing had to basically beg for raises never when all of the pay wages went up how can u have regular employees making close to your managers and expect them to break there back for them. It’s all about the good old boy click I strongly recommend no one to work there as it sucks ur life from ur body

Pros

None pay is bad training is even worse

Cons

They don’t care about there employee at all you are just a number to them

Everyone is supportive ,very friendly and family oriented

I loved working for Big lots . I worked for a couple different locations and got to know management and other associates at other store location. We all help each other and encourage everyone to keep up excellent customer service and store standards.

Pros

Paid days off like holidays, sick and emergency days

Cons

No benefits unless your full time, the schedule can vary in hours due to holidays and sale days

Store manager was cool. Everyone else terrible personalities.

Spent 3 years of my life on the management team. Got 3% annual raises. Also customers frequently complained to me about how bad customer service was when i wasnt around.

A decent place to work. A little overworked and a little underpaid, but a great boot camp for learning retail skills.

Big Lots was not a bad place to work or a bad employer. As with any retail store setting, pressure could be high, you are perpetually understaffed and the only thing consistent about the shift hours is that they are erratic. It is not conducive to a regular M-F banker's hours lifestyle. It can make it very hard if you have school age children. The fact that the stores are open 364 days a year (Christmas Day is the ONLY observed holiday) makes having any kind of social life very difficult. Vacation times with family are very difficult to obtain as most holidays are big sales event times and taking time off during these times is blacked out. A manager can not take off ANY vacation time between October and January... period. Again, that is the nature of big box retail. Benefits are normal. Full-time and management have access to decent and reasonably priced health insurance. Full-time and management receive 2 weeks of vacation time per year, with one week added for every 5 years, capped at 4 weeks. The employee discount, which is available for nearly all merchandise, including sales and clearance, is a surprisingly large 20%. This, coupled with the wide variety of household items, food and furniture sold at already low prices, make it a very nice and well-used discount. All positions except store manager are hourly with all management being full-time. Assistant managers are 40 regular hours and 5 hours of overtime, guaranteed and mandatory. Associate managers and furniture managers are 40 hours weekly with very little overtime allowed, typically no more than -

Great Place

Great Place to work. Raises are small and you have no benefits unless you are full time. People are great to work with, family oriented friendly employees

They are good at promoting from within,

If you work hard and are reliable you can get promoted however once you get to salary, they work you to death. The reason being they were habitually under staffed.They did however pay pretty well.

Pros

promotion, healthcare

Cons

long hours, uder-staffing