Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 5,513 reviews matching the search See all 5,557 reviews
Loved working for the company
Retail associate (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDJune 19, 2019
I loved all my co-workers and the company offers advancement opportunities. You're offered limited benefits as a part-time employee. They're very understanding and flexible with your schedule. You'll do a wide variety of tasks which breaks up the mundane boredom of doing the same job on a daily basis. You have a online portal where you can select what days and hours of the day you're available. You can also request your vacation time off on their as well as check the hours you've worked that week.
Pros
Incentive programs, company potlucks, flexible schedule
Cons
Varying part time unless you're mangement no set schedule
Horrific and nasty
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VaJune 19, 2019
BE READY. This is not it sis. Cleaning bathrooms and working with people. It's not worth the money. Honestly as a employee in general this job nasty. The job is a lie forreal.
Pros
SOMETIMES free food
Cons
Entire job a con
Amazing work place with good people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 19, 2019
Great work place flexible hours , good management they helped you when you needed it I would work there again . I loved working for the company if you needed to go home for any reason they understood
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Stay late sometimes
work hard and there is rrom to move up ladder
Furniture Salesman (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 19, 2019
its not a hard job, follow directions and you will be good. keep your personal life personal. its a stepping stone. i meet great people there from mangment to the cashiers.
Lead Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 19, 2019
This is a typical day for me. I am a Lead Support for management which means I act as MOD when they are in conference calls, or busy assisting customers. I assist cashiers when they need change, an override, etc. I also assist customers on the sales floor, do carry-outs, assist co-workers when needed and put out merchandise.
i love my job
Cashier/Customer Service sales assiciate (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 18, 2019
i just wished they paid a little bit more. But the work isn't just making sure you get your rewards card and credit cards was the biggest and hardest things sometimes
Work-Life Balance, Pay was good, Not enough hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJune 18, 2019
Loved working at Big Lots but 15/20 hours a week was not enough, the rules about rewards wasn't laid out. They wanted you to do more than your job which wasn't a big problem but the pay was okay. The co-workers were nice and respectful. Love to interact with customers and love the good deals.c
Pros
Co workers are friendly and concern
Cons
Short Breaks, Don't hire for full time and No Do's or Don't on Rewards
A decent place to work. A little overworked and a little underpaid, but a great boot camp for learning retail skills.
Furniture Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 18, 2019
Big Lots was not a bad place to work or a bad employer. As with any retail store setting, pressure could be high, you are perpetually understaffed and the only thing consistent about the shift hours is that they are erratic. It is not conducive to a regular M-F banker's hours lifestyle. It can make it very hard if you have school age children.

The fact that the stores are open 364 days a year (Christmas Day is the ONLY observed holiday) makes having any kind of social life very difficult. Vacation times with family are very difficult to obtain as most holidays are big sales event times and taking time off during these times is blacked out. A manager can not take off ANY vacation time between October and January... period. Again, that is the nature of big box retail.

Benefits are normal. Full-time and management have access to decent and reasonably priced health insurance. Full-time and management receive 2 weeks of vacation time per year, with one week added for every 5 years, capped at 4 weeks. The employee discount, which is available for nearly all merchandise, including sales and clearance, is a surprisingly large 20%. This, coupled with the wide variety of household items, food and furniture sold at already low prices, make it a very nice and well-used discount.

All positions except store manager are hourly with all management being full-time. Assistant managers are 40 regular hours and 5 hours of overtime, guaranteed and mandatory. Associate managers and furniture managers are 40 hours weekly with very little overtime allowed, typically no more than
  more... 5 hours a week when available. During the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas, all managers may find themselves working 50+ hour weeks as the only exception. I would say pay is on the slightly low side of middle for retail. You are going to make more than managing at a Family Dollar or Dollar General, but less than managing at Walmart, Target or Kohls.

Management is expected to physically work and work hard: Unloading freight, stocking, maintenance. Typically, management works harder than the employees, doing as much, if not more, of the physical labor.

Big Lots does make an effort to promote from within, with higher level job openings typically posted first within store for a period, then within company, before being advertised to the general public. Training is about as good as the quality of your management team and district manager. An effort is made to adhere to company policies and practices and the company does take its image fairly seriously. District managers tend to visit and evaluate their stores every 2-3 weeks and there is a weekly district conference call with the store manager and the furniture manager. Occasionally other management will be asked to sit in. These calls tend to last an hour on average. They tend to focus mainly on the weekly ads, special event sales and are an opportunity to pass along any other company new practices or concerns. You can expect a Regional Vice President to drop in about once a year.

I would say working at Big Lots for a reasonable period of time will impart a lot of decent retail skills. The smaller management team size of a store forces all members to become proficient in all the different aspects of running a retail store. Formal company training could better. The degree of autonomy at store level has diminished over the years as Big Lots strives for a very uniform experience for its customers. This can lead to some frustration for management when dealing with the particulars of their location needs and local customer base.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Jacksboro, TNJune 18, 2019
I am an stocker at big lots I think it's a great job and my management team is awesome anytime I need more hours or a day off there was never a problem
Pros
Easy work no stress great discount
Cons
The manager sucked. Hours sucked pay suvked
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 18, 2019
Manager was always talking about firing becaude we cant force people to use there big pots rewards look up. And we couldnt force them to sign up for big lots credit cards.
Cons
Short breaks. Pay was not enough to live on. Mamagment was horrible
I truly enjoyed working for Big Lots!
Store Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAJune 17, 2019
Working at Big Lots was a way for me to keep busy and get me out of the house to meet new people. I moved to the Antioch area in 2013. I had applied to over 344 jobs and Big Lots! was the only employer that called me in for orientation and ultimately a position. This store had extremely high customer theft and there was nothing we could do about it. Other than that Big Lots! was a fun job.
Pros
Weekly pay, 20% employee discount.
Cons
Short breaks and high store theft
Good part time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 17, 2019
Part time that's it, minimum wage pay. you clock in and clock out. And that's it nothing else to it. They try to compare their workload to Walmart and how fast it should be done. Even though a typical Walmart has over 200 associates and biglots only has 25
Fast paced
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yucaipa, CAJune 17, 2019
Big Lots is a great place to get bargains on foods, supplies and houseware. Knowing where everything is located is a great ease to assist customers. Working to stock and keep organized at a fast pace makes the day go fast.
Pros
great company to work
It was a good job and most of the poeple there was cool.
Reshop or Recovery (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 17, 2019
It was a good job to have to keep you busy and pass the time if you don't have nothing to do. And the employees there was really cool and friendly, make me feel like it was a family instead of a work place. Treated me so good except for the General Manager
Pros
Got a discount
Cons
Sometimes the General manager shows favortism. At the South Bend location.
Safe and Productive environment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJJune 17, 2019
Big Lots is a good company to work for. A safe environment, friendly staff and friendly customers. I learned about inventory, I was doing a different activity everyday. Some days I was at the register assisting customers, some days I was on the sales floor assisting customers and other days I was restocking shelves.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Floor Worker (Former Employee) –  Hermitage PAJune 17, 2019
I enjoyed working at Biglots I think alot of it had to do with my coworkeers at the time. We all knew how to do our jobs and help one another with out even having to say anything. Unfortunately I had to leave because I was having my son and choose to be a stay at home mom.
Horrible place, don’t work there
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 16, 2019
This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had, the managers have favoritism and don’t treat certain employees properly, more like slave workers. The place is extremely filthy, when I worked there I would deep clean the staff break room and two days later it would be dirty again. There were roaches inside the store and the break room. I don’t ever recommend working here. The employees would constantly gossip and start rumors. I would cry when I had to go to work because of how horrible this place was. Please don’t work here
Working at Big Lots.
Assembler/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 15, 2019
Working at big lots was not what i expected it to be. I organized shelves of food and stocked them when they got the truck. I sold furniture and also assembled furniture.
great place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Millington, TNJune 15, 2019
all staff are very helpful in teaching you the ropes of the establishment. Very friendly staff. Plenty of work to do but everyone does it with a smile
Biglots was an excellent part time job! The management is great and the hours are decent!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albany ORJune 15, 2019
Working at biglots was a great part time job. The management was awesome and the hours were decent. They are always flexible with scheduleds/hours and if I ever needed a second job I would go back in a heartbeat!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
41.5K
31.5K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight