Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 5,538 reviews matching the search See all 5,582 reviews
Productive , Fun place to work
Head Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYJune 25, 2019
Nice place to work at, started 2013 to 2018. The reason i quit not good pay, for a person that has a family and needs to support , that has a house and bills. I love working around people and doing customer service’s always have a smile on my face and always made customers come back to our store. Would of stayed for more pay.
Fast passed and hard work!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 25, 2019
Can’t be lazy to work here!! But there is no training, and never set hours! There are not to many perks to working and no way for advancement! The managers are nice but do not train new employees they expect min wage employees to train new hires! I got sick and they wanted a Dr note with diagnosis!! None of their business! I wanted less hours and they wanted a reason.. wrong!!! There is no incentive, to working here!!
Pros
Got discount on merchandise
Cons
Was fun in beginning, after new management took over wasn’t fun any more!
Friendly staff approachable mgmt team
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLJune 25, 2019
Very faced paced. Usually short staffed. Associates and management are very approachable. Always fun to see new merchandise. Multi tasking is a must. Guest service is # 1 priority
Pros
discount 20%
Cons
closing every holiday
Cashier
CASHIER/ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 25, 2019
Answer phone, offer credit card, officer rewards cards.
Maintain check stand. Greet customers and thank them for shopping. Handle all returns. Company has recently begun remodeling stores.
Pros
Generous employee discount
Cons
Work closing and the opening the next day
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJune 25, 2019
Fun workplace, fun environment, great customers and great employees. Clean environment, easy access to parking lot and restrooms. Easy checkouts. Clean aisle's.
Poor management
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 24, 2019
Very poor management I wanted a certain shift because I know I couldn’t do the one they gave me and they was okay with it at first then still gave me that shift when I couldn’t work it I was very polite about it so they put me down as terminated
Low pay with alot of work . no workers so you do double work for nothing pay
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHJune 24, 2019
I liked the people but they only had 2 stock ppl . it rough doing truck with a few ppl. Especially the furniture!! They need new ppl!!I liked the management. Most were helpful!! Taught me time management!!
L
Pros
Everything is good nice ppl
Cons
No sink in break room
Its ok for a temp. Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, NCJune 23, 2019
The store I worked at was garbage poor communication with the team and management will single people out. And if you're male good luck they make you lift all the heavy and bulky furniture by yourself the pay just really isn't what it should be for all the work they pile on you.
Good company. Always have what I need.
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 23, 2019
They always have what I need and there good to work for but they dont pay enough not offer benefits unless your full time. I need 3 jobs to live because Big Lots doesnt offer enough. Other then that it's a great company.
Poor Hours & Pay
Cashier/ Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJune 23, 2019
They start everyone at Part-Time & the pay is not enough to support yourself. I let them know that I had some back problems, but I was still put in situations & made to do task that were not suitable for me.
slow paced and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hudson, NYJune 22, 2019
I love working at Big Lots. Its a great place to work. only problem is there aren't enough hours for all the workers. Managers are understanding and will work with you as far as scheduling.
It was a great place
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 22, 2019
I loved working here it was fun and great. I liked my co workers it was very fun and excited job. I loved stocking shelves it was very fun. And I love the discounts. I worked seasonal
Pros
Discounts
At times productive
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 22, 2019
This job was great when I started. Anytime someone would call out I was the one they would call to come in and cover the shift. Then when I became sick and had to take care of my kids and move all at the same time, it was a problem. I was every active with the customers and made sure my job was completed before my shift was over.
Pros
Extra hours when people do not show up
Cons
Not being treated equally
I enjoyed working at Big Lots.. Easy work, not stressful.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paris, TXJune 22, 2019
I was with Big Lots for 17 years and would have stayed but my store closed in Paris, TX. We were the very first store in Texas as the training store. I had a great management team and everyone got alone. The pay was great; paid weekly with great benefits. I hated the hours scheduled because it always changed; worked long night hours some times and the store hours was terrible and stay open 7 days a week. I hated working on Sunday's and we were always short handed.
Loved working there but some complaints.
Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Murphy, NCJune 22, 2019
Got screwed out of a promised management position twice. Loved working there and my coworkers, just couldnt live on the very low hours and below average pay and being led on with empty promises.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Low pay, low hours.
Great
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Aloha, ORJune 21, 2019
Good company they try really hard it's just not a lit of decent people would wanna work those jobs so they have a high turn over rate but they try their best
Stressful
Lead Support/Temp Merch Lead (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MOJune 21, 2019
The money is decent but the managers made working there very stressful at times. A couple of the managers would also make you feel awful if you were sick and couldn't make it to work.
Our store had issues
Furniture Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 21, 2019
Big lots in general is a good company to work for. Our store had issues we needed more detail oriented people. Managment had an number in mind as far as our programs went, but they never took the time to address the issues when we didnt hit our numbers. It was just do it or else.
Fun enviroment to work with
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46804June 21, 2019
I enjoyed working on rearranging furniture, stocking products, and cashiering. The management was fair and pleasant to work with. I would tell friends and family members to work there.
Relaxing job but inconsistent
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLJune 20, 2019
This is easy as I was a cashier, however the hours were very inconsistent as to I was working maybe 4 hours each week if any. And I never slacked off.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Inconsistent hours, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
41.5K
31.5K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight