Big R Stores Pay & Benefits reviews

Fun atmosphere, but not great pay
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVJune 6, 2019
I was fairly new when I was told that I would be training other new hires as cashiers. I just went from my experience of cashiering to train. Being the opening cashier five days a week, a lot of the daily cleaning tasks were my responsibility because the closing cashiers did not have the time to do them.
Pros
Days flew by quick
Cons
Understaffed, not great pay. No benefits.
It was fun learned new things on products and stuff for a imals and farm equipment
Yardman (Former Employee) –  Cortez, COMay 19, 2019
I would show to work about half an hour early look to see what needed to be stocked up or done then clocked in put my vest on and stocked up feed, answered yard calls, filled propane for customers, also helped out customers with carryouts, helped customers with product information, ran a forklift and stocked up feed in the feed room newest on the bottom older on the top
Pros
Discounts on products
Benefits
Poor management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 2, 2019
Great job, good work environment except the poor management. Great customers! I worked there for almost 3 years and was treated terrible by the managers after the manager I was hired in by. Lots of drama and managers take advice from other employees that might have it out for a certain person.
Pros
Breaks
Benefits
Fast past
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORMarch 14, 2019
I worked for big r store for 5 + years never did I get a pay increase I was always threaten of my job. No benifits. Management was a crook. I was young an new to the adult world and did not realize the bad conditions of my job.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Have to be desperate to work there
Stressful
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Homer Glen, ILDecember 6, 2018
They don’t work with your schedule, never help with scheduling, they schedule me when I had doctor appointments and never helped me out with schooling schedule
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No benefits, no time off
Fun workplace but sometimes too fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lamar, COSeptember 20, 2018
There was a lot of people who were focused on other things than the things they need to be doing. There was also no way to move up in the company and even if you did the benefits barely increased.
There was no openings to excel in broading my horizons with this company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 5, 2018
I really liked the customers at Big R. They always made my day at work that much more special. The management was never consistent. I didn't like working for this company because there was never room to grow or get a raise.
Pros
Breaks were reasonable
Cons
Healthcare and benefits
Very unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochelle, ILMay 15, 2018
They had a very flexible work schedule. Management lacked communication with each other. Rules changed constantly depending on which manager is working.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
Unprofessional
fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INJanuary 30, 2018
I liked working here in high school. It was a good part time job for me to make some extra cash. The management was great and the environment was awesome too.
Good first job, not a career
Part-Time Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, INJanuary 22, 2018
I never hated going to work. It was a great first job right out of highschool but pay was low and management was poor. Nice people but drama and lack of teamwork was often. Reviews are inconsistent and raises are few and far between unless they NEED you for something. Hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work a long night closing shift only to turn around and have to open the very next day. Most enjoyable part of the day was seeing friends/coworkers to help pass the time.
Pros
Hour lunches, great employee discounts
Cons
Management, little to no raises, low pay
Decent job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILAugust 15, 2017
The job itself is a good job. This is a good starter job if you are in high school or even if your are retired. This is however NOT a job you are able to make a living off of because you are not paid enough for the type of work that you do.
Pros
customers, christmas bonus, holiday pay
Cons
the way things are run, management, how much work is expected of you for little pay
Not a great place towork for.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falcon, COMay 19, 2017
The managers of the store are not very willing to help make the work place a place worth working in, it is stressful and there is a lot of drama. They do make it easy on those who have a disability in the work place.
Pros
Good loyal costumers
Cons
working there
good place to work
Clothing Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INFebruary 6, 2016
good place to work except for some coworkers like to start trouble and gossip too much. over all the job was good. The hours are good and the job was not too hard. customers are nice most of the time.
Pros
interacting with people
Cons
unfriendly coworkers
lowest paying job ever
door mat (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMarch 3, 2015
if you want bare pay, a manager who bashes the company through social media, and to work nights every weekend, well then this is the job for you.
Pros
Cons
everything there
great job, good company
Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 17, 2013
Love this job. Always a challenge. I have learned how to manage receiving with great accuracy. I always felt supported by the management and they counted on me for many things. Learning new things is always a little hard, but the best thing is accomplishing and mastering the new skills.
Pros
new challenges
Cons
not great at pay raises as a company
have spent 23 good years here ,but as the economy changes the pay here doesnt.
RECEIVING (Current Employee) –  Tilton, ILDecember 19, 2012
I have worked her for 22 years.Overall it is a good place to work.They work wee around any appointment you would need to leave work for.Or if you need off for family matters.There is not much in the way of benifits and it is usually 6-7 years between raises
Pros
good management, good work enviorment, they work well around your schedules
Cons
rarely give raises, expensive health benefits, never recogzied for good work