Big Y Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
productive
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 15, 2018
a typical day at works is basically making sure that we have backp pre-slice for later on that day and possibly the next day. some days are busy than others. Management is okay. they could be a little bit better. the hardest part is trying to get out on time because theirs always that one customer that comes minutes before your getting ready to close up for the night. the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the right coworkers and making sure everything is done ahead of time.
Fun place to work with ample opportunity for cross-department training.
Frozen Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  Southbridge, MAAugust 9, 2018
My experience working at Big Y has been incredibly positive, and full of kind, helpful people. I felt welcome the day I started working there, and have been encouraged from day 1 to train in as many departments as I can, which I took to heart. The only problem I have with the company is how difficult it is to cross the barrier and switch from part-time to full-time, as well as getting overtime in a part-time position. Other than that, the experience has been wonderful overall.
Pros
Lots of food, friendly people.
Cons
Occasionally stingy on hours.
Good place to work at flexible hours great team building company
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ware, MAAugust 8, 2018
Working at Big Y was a great job for me to start at coming out of high school i had a great manger and the whole team was very supportive, i had flexible hours and had room to grow if i wanted to stay with Big Y
Work experience
Bakery attendant (Former Employee) –  Danielson, CTAugust 7, 2018
It was good work but for me it was too fast paced I had a hard time keeping up the people I worked with for good nice understanding of disability helpful when it came to filling out take orders
Great place to Work
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Monroe, CTAugust 2, 2018
very good place to work.The company has very challenging goals for employees and has a very relaxed working environment. The management is very fair and cares about employee concerns.Excellent 401 is excellent. The company fully endorses continuous training and new ideas from employees..
Pros
Great working environment.
Good place to work for students
CASHIER/ FROZEN FOOD DAIRY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ware, MAAugust 1, 2018
It was a great starting job for me with flexible hours while I was doing school and making my way through high school and college. Always gave hours when I would come home from college breaks and when I could work more in the summer.
Decent
Night Crew Manager (Current Employee) –  Ellington, CTJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed most of my time working here. Always somthing new to lear. They taught me how to manage people better. I moved up fast but I'm ready for somthing new.
Pros
Benifits, vaca time
Cons
Not enough raises
Productive and firm, yet laid back
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 30, 2018
Typiical days are pretty smooth sailing. Great regular customers, cashiering, cleaning and organizing are daily. I learned communication is welcomed through all management with any issues or concerns as well as notice of a job well done. The community and employees are wonderful to deal with.
My only wish is the hours were easier to deal with. Getting up at 4:00 AM to open the store for 4:30 or 5:00AM can be a real struggle some days.
Pros
Communication with Management; Employees; Easier Job type
Cons
Breaks are lacking; Not enough hours for multiple people; Work-life balance pending on job position
Lot of great people to work with but a little bit clicky
Assistant Dairy and Frozen Foods Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAJuly 26, 2018
Overall Biy Y is a great place to work. They stress intermingling with the customers to get to know them and cleanliness of the store. Over the past few years they have been buying stores increasing the total number to close to 90 stores in the chain. In doing so i think that they've forgotten about the employees who have been working hard for them over the years and the mural of those employees have decreased.
Benefits
Cons
pay
bad
Seafood Clerk, Seafood Specialist as of April 2017 (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTJuly 24, 2018
the senior management team is a joke at best. they are cruel, and abusive. they also take what ever chance they can to steal hours from employees, and just in general undermine anyone they feel like
Pros

Want to know more about Big Y?

Ask a question
I would recommend working at Big Y
Cashier, Bread Clerk and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Naugatuck, CTJuly 19, 2018
I enjoy working at Big Y. I would recommend it to anyone to apply there. I have currently worked there for 5 years and do not intend to leave once I find additional employment.
great first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Great Barrington, MAJuly 19, 2018
as my first job, working at Big Y was a fun and busy place to work. I was able to make it competitive and challenging with other workers to improve all of our experiences.
Productive but stressful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Naugatuck, CTJuly 16, 2018
Management is very open and people think they can be in charge when they're on the same level as a cashier.
The workplace culture is productive but can be very stressful to deal with.
Hardest part of the job is trying to be on point with having no lane accountability because there is a case of dealing with money.
Trying to have good customer service when dealing with a stressful customer.
A typical type of day is up and down with the flow of people and going from doing nothing to having a crazy line filled with people.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Loved working at both stores.
Head Cashier/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJuly 16, 2018
Assisting customers was the most rewarding part of working for Big Y. Whether it was at the Customer Service Desk, helping a customer find a specific item, or helping their cashier with any concerns made the job rewarding and interesting. Never a dull moment! Always some way to aide the customer's shopping experience.
Pros
Variety of skills in a fast-paced setting.
Great Work Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holden, MAJuly 15, 2018
I loved working here. My managers were amazing. Kind and friendly and truly care about you and your wellbeing. When looking to improve the front end, your input is encouraged and actually considered/applied. I didn't get enough hours to meet my needs here but if I did I wouldn't have left.
Pros
friendly managers, good work environment
Cons
not enough hours available
Horrendously understaffed food service department. Only 3-4 employees actually care about their job.
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ellington, CTJuly 13, 2018
Please don't apply for this department. To be honest, the food service department shouldn't even exist. It's only around to get customers in the door and hardly turns a profit. In a normal shift you'll have probably 4 employees expected to prepare a ridiculous variety of food for a grab-n-go case, while simultaneously helping a constant stream of customers needing made to order sandwiches and pizzas. You may get a cashier from the front of the store to help for an hour a day at lunch time if you're LUCKY. You're expected to do so much cooking for pennies above minimum wage while providing good customer service and ringing out purchases. Since the department breaks even on a good day, upper management gives your department manager not nearly enough hours to use for proper staffing. The only reason employees stick around is because they don't realize better opportunities are available. People get stuck here. Don't get stuck here. Stay away.
Pros
Insurance covers a lot but is overpriced
Cons
Lazy employees aren't disciplined, management only cares about #s, too much work for too little staff
learned a lot
Meat/Seafood Assit Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJuly 11, 2018
I really like working for Big Y. I broke a company policy so I was let go. I made great bonds with my fellow co-workers. The customers where great. Would like to work for them again.
It's a job
Cashier/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 10, 2018
No longer could deal with the inconsistency. They expect you to break your back working for them, with little help and little pay.I don't feel it was worth my time nor effort.
ok
Cook, clean and prep food as required (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTJuly 9, 2018
ok place to work. good for older folks, first jobs, a second income, a stepping stone in ones work career. good benefits even for part time people. good place
Pros
good place
Cons
pay
Good place to work!
Assistant Deli Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ludlow, MAJuly 8, 2018
Great benefits and time off. Working in the grocery business is very grueling. Lots of time invested and hard work not always appreciated. They care a lot about sales than employees.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Y. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight