Big Y Employee Reviews

Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lee, MAJune 12, 2019
If socializing and counting money is your thing. I didn’t mind it as a transitional job. They pay nice. Everyone is very friendly. It’s nice to see new people and talk to new people.
I want a day job
OverNight stocker (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJune 10, 2019
I would love a day job that I make the same amount I do at night. It is a great place to work but not at night because it is almost impossible to move from night crew
Pros
Free lunch break
Cons
Not great ordering they don't order stuff they need and order stuff they already have
Good place to work overall.
Front End Worker (Former Employee) –  Monroe, CTJune 8, 2019
The environment is very friendly and management cares about the employee. Worked there quite awhile ago but the hours were flexible and everybody enjoyed working there. Salary wasn't great and raises didn't come often. opportunities to move up if you meet age requirements in departments.
great
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAJune 6, 2019
best company in terms of treatment of low level employees big y is great as a first job although it may not prepare you for how rough it gets in other minimum wage jobs
Great job but looking for a change in career field
Produce Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 1, 2019
Big Y has been good to me and I intern have showed them my loyalty to them. I have had an internship with this company to help complete my capstone for college. I was hoping to move up in the company which I have but not to the position I have wanted. It has been taking a really long time and I cannot wait much longer. I have a family now and I would really like to take care of them even more and me being here I can no longer.
Pros
Medical benefits, 401k
Cons
No set hours, schedule changes every week
Not Enough Hours To Go Around
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTMay 30, 2019
I started here in November 2018 after having had a moderate spell of unemployment. I told the manager I could work up to 40 hours a week if need be, but would willingly accept at LEAST 20 hours a week. For the first few months, because of the holiday season most likely, I very easily received 20-25 hours each week. Once February rolled around, I was lucky to get even two shifts a week. As a cashier, they rarely work you more than six hours a shift because they don't want to provide coverage for a lunch break. So my average shift would be five hours long. The vast majority of customers were surprisingly much friendlier and talkative than is normally found in the retail industry and I've never had any complaints. Management in the front end are extremely approachable, empathetic, eager to assist with problems. Unfortunately, the front end is over staffed. I found out through my employee file that I was classified as not even part-time--but casual, meaning less than 20 hours a week! The job itself isn't bad at all, management and coworkers alike are like family, and shifts fly by but the pay is wretchedly low, there's not enough hours to go around, and no room for advancement.
Pros
Approachable managers, short shifts, tight knit family atmosphere, breaks, weekly pay
Cons
No hours, overstaffed in the front store, pay just barely above minimum wage, no benefits when you are not full time
Good people that work there
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Branford, CTMay 29, 2019
The work there is easy when it isn't busy at night after 7. The weekends can be very busy and in the mornings.

The managers are really chill and respectful, and will listen if there is a problem.

Expect to get called in and get more hours then you are scheduled
Pros
Great people, good management, good hours
Cons
Shorts breaks
Poor Management and Bad Hours System
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, MAMay 29, 2019
Overall Big Y struggles with management. There are inconsistent hours with no ability to set a schedule. The amount of extra work they ask for on top of what you are scheduled for is incredible and too much. Overall a miserable place to work.
Not enough help but can be a great place to work
Frozen dairy specialist (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTMay 28, 2019
Sometimes you're the only employee working in the department and the work load can be a lot for one person to accomplish. Co-workers can be great just too much gossip. Can move up when given the chance or trained. It can be a lot of work and not enough pay for the job or theres times where I've worked in different departments including my own.
it's a place good for students
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Southwick, MAMay 28, 2019
typical work day, refilling supplies when needed, slicing meat and cheese, weighing out salads and pastas, hotdogs, cleaning department by scrubbing floors, sweeping, cleaning slicers on occcasion cleaning out the deli case, wrapping meats and cheese at the end of the night, emptying garbage and cardboard
Don't work here
CASHIER/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTMay 22, 2019
I cannot recommend working at this location. This company is unprofessional, chaotic, has poor communication and does not treat its employees well. Time off is impossible to achieve even in a family emergency. The pay is atrocious.
bad place
FO0D SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 21, 2019
this was a generally bad place to work, management was bad and the job itself was bad. people yelling at you and nobody really cares. super busy all the time and chaos.
Good part time job
Part-Time Deli Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Holden, MAMay 18, 2019
I worked in the deli for a few years. I really enjoy my manager, and the rest of the deli crew was very pleasant. From day one, they trained me and laid out clear expectations, something you don’t see very often anymore. They provided nice company coupons at the holidays like pies for $3 when normally $10...typical grocery store retail, a huge step up from stop and shop or hannaford. I enjoy shopping at big y, even though I no longer work there.
Pros
Nice environment, friendly management, clean stores, pizza parties
Cons
Pay is typical for business, corporate
A great place to work when you are first starting in the work force
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTMay 10, 2019
I loved working at BigY, I met some of the best friends of my life there and it taught me how to interact with all different types of customers. I also got the chance to train other cashiers on register and that was a great opportunity. .
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Can be slow at times
This place blows
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 27, 2019
Yes, it is just a part time job and it’s supposed to be an easy one, but Big Y for some reason has the nastiest and most disturbing customers...and there are a lot of customers. The people they hire have no work experience half the time or just no brain. They expect high school and college kids to be free nearly all the time, and I would never put work before school. Depending on what store you’re working at, they don’t schedule enough people at the busiest times.
Pros
Good job to have for 6 months
Cons
everything
summary
Fresh Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 24, 2019
Started off as a bagger and then worked my way up the ladder by working each department. there some pros and cons in each department. Learn many different ways to cook stock and bakey. the hardest part of my job was to not be so shy but i open up and i am not shy
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 23, 2019
i worked in customer service so i was able to help the customers with return and exchanges also sold lottery tickets. i also worked as a head cashier.
Pros
nice co-workers
Night Clerk
Night Crew Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTApril 22, 2019
Great Job! As part of the night crew, the hours do not conflict if you are studying during the day. Since most of the work is done when the store is closed, there is little to no customer interaction.
Poor Scheduling
Dairy/Frozen Associate (Former Employee) –  Old Saybrook, CTApril 18, 2019
Poor Life Balance. They do not schedule according to your availability. I was working 5 afternoon/night shifts which was not my availability.Poor Management towards Part-timers. Also lacks Professionalism in many Department Manager Positions.Compensation and Benefits are good.
A former Employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTApril 17, 2019
I worked at Big Y for three years, with a history of great customer service. I had left for college one semester, came back and asked numerous times for any shifts that were available. I never heard a response back from management, the only response back I got was from the other kids from college saying they have too many hours. Nice. Don't be loyal to them because they will come right back around and stab you in the back
Cons
Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Y. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight