Big Y

• Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Perfect First Job

The front end department is perfect for a high school student’s first job. There’s opportunities to be cross-trained in other areas of the front end but they take advantage of the younger employees. No matter how long you’ve worked here or how many different jobs you do, your pay never increases. As a teenager, either leave Big Y once you’re out of school OR as soon as you can, move to a different department.

Pros

Cross-training, good experience

Cons

No raises, hours cut

Quick to out someone

Company plays pure politics. Constantly feel watched like a by a hawk. Many employees seem borderline brainwashed as if the company is the only thing that matters in life. Pay and benefits is what is going to keep you around

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Delegation team

Great Company w/ Great Benefits and Culture

Big y has a clear mission to provide the best and asks for nothing but the best from their employees. Pay could be a little better for some positions, but overall the culture, environment, camaraderie, and job are all positive. It feels like a family more than a workplace.

Pros

Benefits, management, coworkers, opportunity for advancement/security

Cons

Pay could be better for some positions, corporate meddling

Store manager very nice and professional

Employees are very nice and professional they like to help you with anything if you need help solving problems. store s always clean open on time. manager very nice to their employees.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Short breaks

Good Management Bad Customers

The management is very nice and allows you to choose your schedule in terms of what hours you may work in a given week, but the customers are entitled

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

No Benefits

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

It works s a job

It is a job. Mind numbing and repetitive. Store management is focused solely on the numbers and employees are nothing more than tools to be used, as long as hours are not exceeded

Pros

Pto

Cons

Too many to list

Selector

Job is okay. Managers are somewhat cool. No incentive so no matter how fast you go, still get paid hourly. No matter how many cases you pick, still get paid hourly

Great Work Environment

Great first job, i worked at Big Y from April of 2016 to February of 2018. The entire time i worked there i never once felt disrespected or mistreated. Upon my departure my boss was extremely encouraging and was genuinely happy to see me moving up in the world. Great first job.

Pros

Breaks, Benefits, Work-Life balance

As good as your managers make it

I've worked several positions and locations throughout this company and I can say I've had both very positive experiences as well as very negative. Most of the managers I've worked with have been friendly, and easy to work with, however I've found it is very hard to have your concerns heard if you do encounter a problem with management. In one particular department I felt overworked and underpaid, and nothing was done about it until I threatened to quit.

Pros

Frequent employee celebrations with free food, great benefits, good pay, friendly employees

Cons

Some lazy management, Tenure culture

Poor Management

There was a lack of respect from the management as well as no overtime they would make me cut 15min if thats how much i was over and they will let the store suffer for that reason to maximize their bonus they hire from the outside instead of hiring from within for promotions nobody communicated with the night crew so we go in blind and understaffed for the amount of work they bring in and move it on to the few people to increase your work load

Pros

its a job?

Cons

everything

Not exactly the best company to work for…

Little to no room to grow within the company. Management in the department I worked in weren’t very pleasant to work with. The people who worked the least, got the most praise.

Decent place to work

Great for part timers and young people who need an entry level job. As you stay longer you realize it’s extremely hard to advance with the correct training and that it’s all about who you suck up to and not about your ability to do the job

Pros

Compensation/benefits

Cons

Certain policies are extremely outdated. Upper management doesn’t care about employees

Great overall place

Great staff and management. The pay is good and you get decent time off. Management was understanding and worked to accommodate the best he could for all his employees.

decent place to work with decent benefits and opportunity for advancement

decent place to work with decent benefits. 3 weeks PTO to start once full time. Pay could be a lot better but the company doesn’t give many raises. good opportunity for advancement

Pros

advancement, paid time off

Cons

weekends, holidays, poor staffing, pay

Good company to work for overall

Big Y has been an overall great company to work for. They value your hard work by recognizing their top performers and often promote from within. If you like working with others, can handle tough situations with customers, and work hard then you will go places with this company.

Pros

Good pay if you're a manager and great benefits

Cons

Upper management has very high and sometimes unreasonable expectations

Jobs not that bad

The employees are nice. The company is a little screwed on pay rate. They don't really pay on experience, or on how hard you work. It's a good company for first time jobs.

Pros

Work around your schedule

Cons

They dont have time and a half on Sundays for new employees

Great coworkers - but unreliable hours

Coworkers are great, but customers... not so much. Store is always terribly understaffed - and pay is far below competitors. Hours unreliable, one week 34hrs, 9hrs the next.

Very flexible job perfect for students

This job has allowed me to work throughout high school and save up a decent amount of money for college. My superiors are very supportive and the work environment is very comfortable. As with any customer service jobs, there are rough days, but overall I have had a very positive experience.

I have worked at Big Y for years. The environment is very comfortable and everyone around you wants to succeed. They have an open line of communication to upper management and it is easy for your voice to be heard. I genuinely think this company cares for its employees. My only complaint is their pay is not always comparable to competitors and it is hard to get a good raise.

Pros

Open Communication

Cons

Pay

Great co-workers and solid place to work!

I enjoyed my years at Big Y, lots of great memories and relationships made their. My only complaint was that some managers were harsh at times and had no respect for the part-time workers. The pay was fair, the hours were very flexible, and it was a great environment to be in.

Pros

Time flexibility, Pay, relationships

Cons

Managerial

Decent first job, but few hours offered

Initially received 16 work hours per week, but then suddenly dropped to 3 hours. Part-time employees who had been working there longer than myself also had the same issue....priority went to full-time workers and new people. Had to fight for hours. High turnover, but then again it is a position occupied by a lot of high schoolers. They would also call me in to work immediately before they wanted me so that I had to drop everything to go in....really poor with giving a heads-up

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

low pay, few hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Y. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight