Big Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun place to work - great team and environment
Media Signs - Clerical Assistant, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 19, 2019
I was able to strengthen my skills in an office environment , learn to work on a team , and be part of a competitive industry . Management was great and lead me with great efforts and provided a career path for me to follow. The most enjoyable part of my job was to be part of a great team where we all supported each other and helped each other in any area we could .
Was fun working there people were nice
5 Sporting Goods Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85051May 25, 2019
Good location the management sticks together were all men at the time upper was a jerk. They played favorites and some harrassement going on at the time I just went the other way was glad to get away though. Might be different know who knows.
Pros
Its a place to work
Cons
Manager and dm were jerks.
Positive environment with great people working together.
First Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 18, 2019
My days consist of verifying store funds and opening/closing the store. Reviewing store emails throughout the day for assignment of daily tasks and company directives. Insuring customer satisfaction during their shopping experience and when handling returns.

Big 5 has helped me learn and develop communication, problem solving and time managing skills while building positive relationships at the workplace with my peers.

The hardest part of the job would be stumbling across unreasonable customers but being able to help and uplift others that come through the store is satisfying and always overshadows any negative experiences that day.
Pros
Positive attitudes, Good benefits, teamwork oriented.
Cons
Late hours and sometimes minimal store coverage.
okay job
cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 6, 2019
it was okay i was a cashier and i often worked a lot of nights and evenings. If your a people person like i was it was fun. management was fun to work with at that time.
Fun part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, CAFebruary 28, 2019
Customer service was a big part of the job. I learned a lot about the merchandise sold. Management was fair and helped create a good environment to work in.
Pros
working with sports merchandise
Cons
part time and low pay
Productive and fun place to work
manager (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 21, 2019
I liked it. I was paid fairly and treated fair at all times. Loved my crew and made things a lot easier. Loved serving customers. The only thing was the work schedule it as inconsistent at times.
Productive and Supportive
LABORATORY QUALITY AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 11, 2018
BIG provides a very productive and supportive work environment. I work most often from home and at times I travel to client sites for mentorship and onsite training.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Unplanned trips
if money isn't that important to you then this is the place for you
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 11, 2018
In all honesty the people there are pretty nice, however the hours are terrible. I've been working for 2+ years and Im only given an average of 12 hours/week. Most shifts are extremely short 3.5 hours a day sometimes. the place does a good job of working around your school schedule but if you're looking to make money then this is only gonna offer you pocket change tbh.
Pros
works great with school schedules
Cons
not many hours given
Big taught me what a hard days work was
Excavating Labor (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MANovember 9, 2018
Waking up at 430 Am to go shovel and then shovel some more taught me how hard it was going to be to make it doing something I truly loved. It taught me how to push through the days that I don't want to be there cause there could be worse things, like excavating septic tanks.
productive and great environment to work at
PRECISION/LABORER (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 8, 2018
daily assigned duties to perform. learned about car parts, assembly and quality of the job. management was always helpful and carried out daily routine as planned.
fun place to work
Cashier/ shift leader (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 29, 2018
It was a good first retail experience and be able to connect with customers. Management was very good to their employees. it was an overall good experience
Awesome coworkers, busy job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UT 84404August 23, 2018
Very busy store with a lot of amazing customers. Great coworkers but horrible management. The job itself is so much fun. The place is easy to get to know.
Pros
cool job
Cons
bad management
Low Pay, Low Hours
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Encino, CAMay 29, 2018
Minimum wage job, ON CALL SHIFTS, most of the workers were students, so Big 5 hired over 10 people to fill 1 cashier slot during the week. This meant that each worker worked about 4 hours per day, if that.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
On Call Employment, Low Shift Hours, Low Pay
Big 5 daily
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 27, 2018
A typical day at Big 5 was prepping for sales during the weekends. Customer services was top notch. The work place culture was pleasant . The hardest part of the job was unloading the weekly truck.
Benefits
Cons
Did not pay enough.
Daily duties
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 3, 2018
Preform Open close store procedures, remain cleanliness at all times, fax correct/completed paperwork to main and corporate office, maintain high level customer service, ck in and order store inventory, bank deposits, hire/fire and complete weekly mgr. walk through,
good
Body man helper (Former Employee) –  Manvel, TXJanuary 23, 2018
work on cars, learn about mechanical machines, management is good, hardest part is working on things you dont know, enjoy the monthly feast. cool place to work at
Pros
paid good
Cons
drama
Great trainings and exposure
BIG4 SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  ParisJanuary 11, 2018
The BIG4 are the best place to gain exposure to accounting practices, GAAP, and compare the organization of companies. It is worth hanging in there until one can get Manager experience.
Pros
Great exposure to a variety of topics
Cons
Work-Life balance
what you learned
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2017
I learned how to make macaroon icecreams, fruit bowls, red bean. They made their drinks differently in many ways. The hardest part was being the only one working when the bakers were busy.
Good employees but unfair pay
Food Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley MADecember 28, 2017
I liked almost everyone I worked with but felt that i should be payed more for the work that i put in, seeing as though employees who slacked off were payed as much as more or even more than me.
must be able to handle change and fast pace
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, INDecember 26, 2017
lead of merchandising worked with receiving and placing of product. Company was good to work for until a big change in corporate management. We worked the best we could with who and what we had. Resent changes has caused alot of turnover in the stores of both management and employees.
Pros
discounts, insurance
Cons
retail hours