BigBear, Inc.

BigBear, Inc. Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA6 reviews
I've really enjoyed working for BigBear so far. People here are smart, friendly, and always willing to collaborate.

That's true of the owners too. They are all very approachable and you'll work with them frequently. At the same time though, you're not micro-managed. If you're hired here then they know you're capable and they trust you.

Technology-wise, focus is mostly on elasticsearch, python (django), javascript for the frontend, and AWS; though if you want to bring something in that's relevant to your project, you can run with it.

Development happens in 2-week sprints with a daily (quick) scrum. G-suite and slack for communication.

There's lots of fun stuff too: there's a baseball game we're going to as a company this weekend, game nights , a pretty relaxed environment in the office, and provided coffee and snacks.

If you're looking for a small-ish company (less than 100 employees across three locations), care about good engineering practices and working on software that people actually use, then BigBear is probably a great fit for you.
Pros
Pto, flexible schedule, snacks and drinks in the office, free fitbit, sweet new laptops and dual monitors, collaborative, 401k match, 100% paid medical if you are single
Cons
4% 401k match could be higher; health insurance starts 1st of 1st month
Official response from BigBear, Inc.
January 31, 2019
BigBear, Inc. has increased their employer 401k contribution match to up to 6% for 2019.
The CEO and CIO are very personable and care about each and every employee. They have an open door policy and have gotten back to me any time I've needed their advice or needed to discuss any personal or work related issues. They are always open to new ideas and innovative concepts that could push what we do as a company forward and satisfy our customers to the fullest.

The benefits are fantastic and this company works hard to keep it's employees. There is flexibility with life/work balance and being able to get all your hours in on a weekly basis. 20 days of PTO is almost unheard of and it's accumulative which works really well throughout the year.

I, honestly, have nothing negative to say about this company. I plan to be here for a while.
Pros
Attentive and responsive leadership. Employees are friendly and very intelligent. Flexible hours.
Big Bear takes a client's older technologies and transforms them to utilize newer, more efficient, technology. You're able to provide your insight and guidance on the direction of which tech stack to use.

Management is very hands-on, collaborative, easy to talk to, and excited about the work we do. They honestly care very much about their employees and making them happy. If you express a concern or problem to them they actually resolve the issue and keep you informed about the steps they've taken to do that. And they're also very intelligent and will collaborate with you on the technologies we work on.

The people you work with, or just in general, are great. They're so smart and helpful. We all collaborate on the different areas we work in, and if you need to utilize something another team member has done work on, they are awesome about providing guidance/insight on the tech. And everyone is so intelligent that when you ask for advice on a tech stack, or otherwise, they provide great insight on it. Also, this is a great company, and environment, to learn new technologies and be able to actually utilize it, to help with your growth in newer technologies.

The work/life balance has been good so far. They give you the option to work from home if need be. Flex hours. They provide food and drinks in the kitchen. Standing desks, etc.. There has been great team morale, we've done game nights and I hope that team outings will happen soon.

Regarding the benefits, they are really good, but there should be some up-front awareness to potential new employees about the timeline
 - more...
Pros
Paid for benefits for employees. Decent PTO. Choice of laptop. Open environment. Cool tech work.
Cons
Certain benefits start the month after your start date, advanced planning for onboarding new employees needs some streamlining.
BigBear utilizes cutting edge technologies, and scope to learn and work on different technologies. One thing I liked @BigBear is management is also hands down programmers, which makes it easier when scoping project.
Pros
Strong leadership, espresso machine, onsite Gym. and many more.
Cons
Since it is still small size company they need to stream line few on boarding procedures.
BigBear is an advocate of using cutting edge technology. Unlike many companies I've worked for, BigBear management is run by technically savvy people who keep up to date with the latest tech and have a strong understanding of how to use it. This makes keeping up to date with the latest and greatest so much easier. Additionally, the office environment is comfortable. Free snacks and drinks are provided. Choice of Mac or Windows laptop upon joining the company.
Pros
Strong leadership, nice office environment
Cons
8:30 scrum
Job seekers rely on your experience.
BigBear consists of great people working collaboratively in our modern offices and at our customer sites. Each program/project consists of interesting development work and analysis, using cutting edge technologies. The company owners and senior leaders are very approachable and care about their employees. Still a relatively small company, BigBear is growing in the Washington DC Metropolitan area, and recently opened a new office in Reston, VA. We also are adding to our teams in San Diego, CA and the Charlottesville, VA area. BigBear, Inc. is well respected and established, having served our federal government customers successfully for the last 10 years.

I am very fortunate to work for such a great company!
Pros
Company paid employee benefits, generous 4 week paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, 401k, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedule, free snacks at our offices