BigBear, Inc. Employee Reviews for Software Engineer

4.6Job Security & Advancement
Innovative and modern technologies
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 1, 2018
Big Bear takes a client's older technologies and transforms them to utilize newer, more efficient, technology. You're able to provide your insight and guidance on the direction of which tech stack to use.

Management is very hands-on, collaborative, easy to talk to, and excited about the work we do. They honestly care very much about their employees and making them happy. If you express a concern or problem to them they actually resolve the issue and keep you informed about the steps they've taken to do that. And they're also very intelligent and will collaborate with you on the technologies we work on.

The people you work with, or just in general, are great. They're so smart and helpful. We all collaborate on the different areas we work in, and if you need to utilize something another team member has done work on, they are awesome about providing guidance/insight on the tech. And everyone is so intelligent that when you ask for advice on a tech stack, or otherwise, they provide great insight on it. Also, this is a great company, and environment, to learn new technologies and be able to actually utilize it, to help with your growth in newer technologies.

The work/life balance has been good so far. They give you the option to work from home if need be. Flex hours. They provide food and drinks in the kitchen. Standing desks, etc.. There has been great team morale, we've done game nights and I hope that team outings will happen soon.

Regarding the benefits, they are really good, but there should be some up-front awareness to potential new employees about the timeline
  more... of when their benefits would take into effect. Also, that once that time comes, some communication about the process getting started or what has happened would be good to know as well. Considering there are different timeframes for when certain benefits take effect, HR should reach out to the employee to inform them that they can utilize XYZ benefit.  less
Pros
Paid for benefits for employees. Decent PTO. Choice of laptop. Open environment. Cool tech work.
Cons
Certain benefits start the month after your start date, advanced planning for onboarding new employees needs some streamlining.
Cool things happening
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 27, 2018
BigBear utilizes cutting edge technologies, and scope to learn and work on different technologies. One thing I liked @BigBear is management is also hands down programmers, which makes it easier when scoping project.
Pros
Strong leadership, espresso machine, onsite Gym. and many more.
Cons
Since it is still small size company they need to stream line few on boarding procedures.
not your average tech company
SW Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2018
This is probably the most productive and streamlined company I have worked for. It's a group very bright and diverse people with a friendly and relaxed yet with a "work hard, play hard" attitude.

What I enjoy the most is the ability to learn and use the best, most fitting, cutting edge technology for our projects and thrive to be leaders rather than followers in our field of expertise.

The term: "the company's greatest assets are its employees" seems to be the driving principle: there are two priorities
- to keep the employees happy with reasonable expectations and a work-life balance and
- to keep project teams productive with all the support and resources they need.

I enjoy feeling valuable and productive and I also like the right balance of documenting, time keeping and reporting requirements without the red tape and bureaucracy typical of bigger companies.

There is also a good amount of dialog with the management and transparency for short and long term goals.
Pros
health care
Cons
fast growth
Lastest Cool Things
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 25, 2018
BigBear is an advocate of using cutting edge technology. Unlike many companies I've worked for, BigBear management is run by technically savvy people who keep up to date with the latest tech and have a strong understanding of how to use it. This makes keeping up to date with the latest and greatest so much easier. Additionally, the office environment is comfortable. Free snacks and drinks are provided. Choice of Mac or Windows laptop upon joining the company.
Pros
Strong leadership, nice office environment
Cons
8:30 scrum